PDA

View Full Version : David Stephens

matty_f
22-03-2011, 08:33 AM
I thought Stephens absolutely strolled through the game last night and never put a foot wrong. I don't think he'll be splitting up the Dickoh/Hanlon pairing, however does anyone else think he'd do a job alongside Palsson as a defensive midfielder - similar to the role Bamba played under Mixu?

He's got pace, strength, and is good with the ball at his feet, also seems to read the game well - I think he'd potentially offer more than Nid in that role.

HibeeB
22-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Aye. Although he didn't have much to do in the first half I thought Stephens had a very good game. Showed good positional sense, won his fair share of headers and chose the right option when passing. He never seemed flustered and always seemed to have time on the ball, a good indicator of how well he played. He will be a good man to have on the bench as a replacement centre half (or full back??).

RIP
22-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I thought Stephens absolutely strolled through the game last night and never put a foot wrong. I don't think he'll be splitting up the Dickoh/Hanlon pairing, however does anyone else think he'd do a job alongside Palsson as a defensive midfielder - similar to the role Bamba played under Mixu?

He's got pace, strength, and is good with the ball at his feet, also seems to read the game well - I think he'd potentially offer more than Nid in that role.

I agree that despite his promise I can't see him getting a game ahead of Paul or Frances (who IMO has been our top player this year)

Big question for a defensive midfielder is stride pattern i.e. how quick are they over 5/10 yards? How hard a tackler are they? To me Pallson is still ahead of Stephens on this basis. Maybe big David would have been an option at St Johnstone, where the ball was in the air most of the time in midfield and Murray Davidson and Craig were cleaning up

Stevie Reid
22-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Definitely could be used there under the right circumstances :agree:

Perspective
22-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Pretty sure he's played there for Wales before, so it's not a bad shout.

inglisavhibs
22-03-2011, 12:14 PM

Good chance he will be decent player for us in years to come. We have always found it difficult to bring through decent centre halfs. Maybe that's changing now with Hanlon and Stephens.

Franck is God
22-03-2011, 12:18 PM
wasn't at the game last night but was delighted he was given a start and at centre half too which is obviously the position Calderwood sees him at long term.

Remember he is still very young and centre half is a position that you need to grow into and he'll need to be introduced carefully. At this stage of his development you don't want to just throw him in as the wrong result can have a negative effect. Losing so heavily at St Johnstone last year put Hanlon back a few steps and has probably only really gotten over it in the last few months.

superfurryhibby
22-03-2011, 01:06 PM
wasn't at the game last night but was delighted he was given a start and at centre half too which is obviously the position Calderwood sees him at long term.

Remember he is still very young and centre half is a position that you need to grow into and he'll need to be introduced carefully. At this stage of his development you don't want to just throw him in as the wrong result can have a negative effect. Losing so heavily at St Johnstone last year put Hanlon back a few steps and has probably only really gotten over it in the last few months.

Like you I wasn't at the game last night but.... I would definitely welcome the emergence of Stephens. Neither Hanlon or Dickoh have absolutely convinced me .
Hanlon still gets bullied by big strong no9's and whilst he has improved this season I still notice that he is the one that is most regularly caught out in centre of defence. Dickoh is less of a footballer than Hanlon but he does have a bit more "bite" about him. It would be good to see Stephens giving them competition for a place.

truehibernian
22-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Like you I wasn't at the game last night but.... I would definitely welcome the emergence of Stephens. Neither Hanlon or Dickoh have absolutely convinced me .
Hanlon still gets bullied by big strong no9's and whilst he has improved this season I still notice that he is the one that is most regularly caught out in centre of defence. Dickoh is less of a footballer than Hanlon but he does have a bit more "bite" about him. It would be good to see Stephens giving them competition for a place.

I used to quite harsh in my criticism of young Hanlon and like you never seemed convinced he had what it really takes to make a great player. Happy though to start eating humble pie and state that under the management of CC, Paul has really grown into the role of not only centre half, but as an integral part of the side. Maybe it's the calm manner CC manages, who knows...........but Paul seems to be maturing quicker, better, and actually looks more confident. Probably makes a change not getting shouted at and berated all the time from the sidelines.

Stephens wasn't tested in truth last night, but he looked so calm on the ball and didn't put a foot wrong. Actually looked the more senior player when next to Murray (who I thought a couple of times was exposed).

The summer programme for me has to now look at the front line. We have, under CC, some much needed energy and pace at the back, and in the midfield. But up top we need a striker who has the pace to burn and get in behind, and also some width on the right flank (to suppliment DW). Towell on a permanent deal would be perfect, and perhaps decent cover for Booth (maybe one who can also play left sided centre half too).

The player who impressed me most yesterday was another who I was a wee bit non plussed by, Matt Thornhill. Thought he did especially well second half when the game became very fragmented and scrappy. He always looked to play football and link up between midfield and strikers. Good effort and more to come I think.

blackpoolhibs
22-03-2011, 01:30 PM

Murray is the past, we need to look to the future. If thats Stephens then all well and good?

Pallson does the job Murray is supposed to do much better. Scott and Thornhill hopefully cement their places in the side, and perhaps a few new signings in the summer will see the end of Murray featuring in the squad.

Onwards and upwards. :thumbsup:

Albion Hibs
22-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I was glad to see Stephens given a starting slot last night, albeit I would expect that given it was effectively a reserve game. Further to that I would be pretty disappointed if he did not stroll it given the standard of opposition.

I dont see him in any position other than centre half so on that basis he will probably have to wait for his turn. None the less good experience and hopefully a bit of motivation for the guy to take into the end of this season beginning of next.

matty_f
22-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I was glad to see Stephens given a starting slot last night, albeit I would expect that given it was effectively a reserve game. Further to that I would be pretty disappointed if he did not stroll it given the standard of opposition.

I dont see him in any position other than centre half so on that basis he will probably have to wait for his turn. None the less good experience and hopefully a bit of motivation for the guy to take into the end of this season beginning of next.

Is Calderwood running these decisions by you these days?:rolleyes:

Albion Hibs
22-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Is Calderwood running these decisions by you these days?:rolleyes:

Dont really see what you are getting at.

But for the avoidence of doubt he is not he is probably to busy texting you asking if he should play a young centre half in a position he has never played before just to give him a game?!

matty_f
22-03-2011, 08:59 PM

But for the avoidence of doubt he is not he is probably to busy texting you asking if he should play a young centre half in a position he has never played before just to give him a game?!

Where did I say he should be playing in a position he's never played before? Not that it would be unheard of, though -cc did play that very same young centre half up front this season.

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Where did I say he should be playing in a position he's never played before? Not that it would be unheard of, though -cc did play that very same young centre half up front this season.

He did run that past me first though Matty. :wink:

superfurryhibby
23-03-2011, 01:34 PM

Funnilly enough he did more in that 15 mins that Nish had done in the previous 75 beforehand.

CallumLaidlaw
23-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Funnilly enough he did more in that 15 mins that Nish had done in the previous 75 beforehand.

He certainly did. Won a few flick ons, took on a couple of players.

He has looked decent whenever I have seen him. Definitely one for the future.

superfurryhibby
23-03-2011, 02:08 PM
He certainly did. Won a few flick ons, took on a couple of players.

He has looked decent whenever I have seen him. Definitely one for the future.

I think so, looks comfortable on the ball and commanding in the air. A Stephens/Hanlon central partnership has potential.

Jonnyboy
23-03-2011, 08:48 PM

He's played there for Wales U21

Like Matty I was impressed. Even given the level of opposition he still stood out as the fulcrum of the defence and what impressed me most was his reading of the game

Albion Hibs
23-03-2011, 09:31 PM

As per above.

matty_f
23-03-2011, 10:48 PM
As per above.

I didn't say he should.:confused:

ekhibee
24-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Purely my opinion, but I think he'll be a better player than either Hanlon or Dickoh. Hanlon's improved a bit in the last few games certainly, but not nearly as much as some people on here seem to think he has. Dickoh's average. I think Hanlon will develop into a good player, I just don't think he's shown the vast improvement that some people on Hibs.net seem to think, but that's just my opinion. He might still be suffering a bit from having to play with the likes of Hogg who in my opinion did not contribute much towards helping Hanlon to improve his game. Stephens is still young, but could become a real quality centre half, and I would play him regularly next season instead of Dickoh.

CapitalHibs
24-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Purely my opinion, but I think he'll be a better player than either Hanlon or Dickoh. Hanlon's improved a bit in the last few games certainly, but not nearly as much as some people on here seem to think he has. Dickoh's average. I think Hanlon will develop into a good player, I just don't think he's shown the vast improvement that some people on Hibs.net seem to think, but that's just my opinion. He might still be suffering a bit from having to play with the likes of Hogg who in my opinion did not contribute much towards helping Hanlon to improve his game. Stephens is still young, but could become a real quality centre half, and I would play him regularly next season instead of Dickoh.

Tend to agree but that will be one hell of a young back four.

superfurryhibby
24-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Tend to agree but that will be one hell of a young back four.

Whilst experience can tell, I reckon it's a question of if your good enough.....

Still think Hanlon needs to find his inner beast before he can become a top level centre half. He has the skill but needs to menace opposition forwards. From what litlle I've seen of Stephens, he has the right attitude and that's pretty essential.

Not sure why some fold are suggesting a sitting midfield or any other role. We have plenty who can fill that position.

matty_f
24-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Whilst experience can tell, I reckon it's a question of if your good enough.....

Still think Hanlon needs to find his inner beast before he can become a top level centre half. He has the skill but needs to menace opposition forwards. From what litlle I've seen of Stephens, he has the right attitude and that's pretty essential.

Not sure why some fold are suggesting a sitting midfield or any other role. We have plenty who can fill that position.

We have Palsson who can fill the holding midfielder role very well, and Nid who is hit and miss. After that we're down to folk like Thicot who hasn't done enough to warrant a regular first team place in whatever position he's been played in.

I suggested the midfield role because I reckognised a good few attributes that would be useful to have in that role when I watched Stephens on Monday night. It was only an idea, though.

Dashing Bob S
25-03-2011, 01:42 AM

Really? I thought he was shaky.

No, that was the other Welsh guy.

matty_f
25-03-2011, 02:19 PM

:tee hee:

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2011, 06:27 PM

We are all glad he came through the green door. :greengrin