PDA

View Full Version : Golf Beginner

The_Exile
21-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Looking at taking it up as a wee hobby, like watching the golf, used to play when i was younger, was never any good as i used full size clubs when i was around 5 foot 2 and in my early teens! Where can I get tuition from in East Lothian? Is the driving range just outside Tranent still there?

Also, will be looking at picking up a set of clubs, I don't want to go crazy money wise as I might end up being totally rank rotten, but don't want to do things on the cheap either as that may hinder any progress, would be willing to spend 2-300 notes on a set of clubs, any suggestions?

Cheers in advance :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
21-03-2011, 03:06 PM
With regards to clubs the best advice i can give is get them custome fitted. This doesn't cost a whole lot but makes such a huge distance. So many golfers struggle along with clubs that are the wrong size, don't lie right etc and it hinders their game something awful. Any pro at a golf club or driving range usually offers this service.

A good beginners set are the King Cobra FP irons, i had these as my first 'proper' set about 5 years ago and they really are great for beginners, very forgiving. Within your price range although you would still have to buy a driver and putter.

Other advice i would give is pay for a few lessons from a pro. They aren't cheap but as my club pro said to me (probably quoting someone else) 'practice makes permanent, not perfect'. There is no point in going around a course smacking the ball about and constantly doing all the wrong things. A pro will very quickly correct your stance, grip, swing tempo, ball striking etc etc. I started off as a 27 handicapper and hacked my way around a golf course for 2 years managing to scrape down to 22. I finally bit the bullet and took some advice i'd been given: I got a few lessons, got my clubs custom fitted and started doing a few excercises i'd been shown - i now play off a handicap of 2 and am not a million miles away from getting down to scratch.

If you can afford to join a club it's a great benefit but most driving ranges have pros who also offer lessons.

Most of all golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. Don't get frustrated trying to do what you see on TV, it's game that requires patience but when it clicks it is all worth it.

The_Exile
21-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Brilliant, thanks for the thorough reply Pretty Boy, much appreciated. I'll check those clubs out and will look into getting whatever I do plump for custom fitted along with some tuition from a pro, my main aim is to do something I enjoy, and invariably you only really enjoy something if you're good at it :agree:

Golden Bear
21-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Brilliant, thanks for the thorough reply Pretty Boy, much appreciated. I'll check those clubs out and will look into getting whatever I do plump for custom fitted along with some tuition from a pro, my main aim is to do something I enjoy, and invariably you only really enjoy something if you're good at it :agree:

It's always best to try before you buy.

You might also consider a visit to the Driving Range at Braid Hills as there is a wide range of clubs available from the American Golf Discount store.There are also resident golf professionals who can provide you with golf lessons using the latest video equipment.

southfieldhibby
22-03-2011, 03:10 PM
If you are starting out as a complete beginner, I'd advise against getting custom fit clubs right away.Lessons are far more important than new clubs.Hopefully you would improve quite quickly making the loft/lie/shaft on any custom fit job redundant pretty soon.

The pro's at my gaff offer 4 hour long lessons for £90 either in their teaching bay with all the gizmos, a short game lesson area or the putting green...the range is the best in The Lothians with 'rea' greens and lasered distances
http://www.kings-acregolf.com/index.html

Buy a second hand set from gumtree/american golf and invest in lessons.If you enjoy it, then you can invest in a custom fit...the pro at Craigmillar Park is reputed to be the best c/f guy in scotland
http://www.sggt.co.uk/

If you do go to AG for clubs they will try and sell you Nicklaus/Wilson/Ping as the margins are better for them, even if the clubs are not for you.

Mizuno in Clydebank offer a full custom fit job for free, and all real golfers play mizzys :greengrin:wink:

H18sry
22-03-2011, 03:51 PM
:wink: http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?206131-Adam-s-Tight-Lies

southfieldhibby
23-03-2011, 08:26 AM
:wink: http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?206131-Adam-s-Tight-Lies

Great deal, I'd go with that and get lessons.

The_Exile
23-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies folks, just what I was after. :thumbsup:

Hi8sry, might be getting a free set of mizuno's from a pal of a pal but if nowt comes of that I'll take you up on that offer if they're still available, will let you know either way :agree: