PDA

View Full Version : Yams Old Firm Sympathies

Greentinted
20-03-2011, 08:08 PM
In the aftermath of todays CIS Cup Final, I took a Hearts fan to task over his delight in the Rangers win. My main contention was that basically, there is a certain element within the Hearts support who do fit the cliche, 'Huns without the bus fare'. His retort was simply that he hated Celtic 10 times more than he hated Rangers. When asking then why they are moved to sectarian chants when playing Celtic but not Rangers, the silence was deafening, refusing to admit that there is a significant proportion of our neighbours' following that are as bad as those in the West.
For my own part, while I'll watch the games (when I can be bothered), I am unmoved as to which side of the divide is victorious; and as is oft suggested I am most emphatically insulted when it is mooted that I must swing at least a wee bit, towards having a fondness for Celtic.
I'm not suggesting all yams are bigots but those that are, do appear to be a bit partial towards the blue corner in Old Firm matters.

Removed
20-03-2011, 08:10 PM
I swung towards the huns today. Maybe next time it'll be Celtc but I have NO Celtc leanings. Both are two cheeks of the same arse and as odious as each other.

HibbyAndy
20-03-2011, 08:16 PM
I couldnt give a toss what one of the Bigots won today.

Hate them both with a passion..Certainly dont give Celtc any preferential treatment.

As a side note id never ever tire of punching Naismith in the puss, A tiresome whinging little scroat of a player, And if Bougherra gives the 'diving' gesture 1 more time ill write to the SFA.

Losers final today, Glory hunters and i know a few from Edinburgh that went, Sad really innit.

Celtc we like? Do me a favour. Both **** balls.

sleeping giant
20-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Ive got a yam on my facebook celebrating the hun winning WTF:confused:

Bunch of tramps:greengrin

Removed
20-03-2011, 08:24 PM

:agree:

Why on earth would you celebrate it if you didn't support either side. :crazy:

ArabHibee
20-03-2011, 08:25 PM

Why on earth would you celebrate it if you didn't support either side. :crazy:

Why would you have a Yam on your Facebook? :confused:

Removed
20-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Why would you have a Yam on your Facebook? :confused:

Do you not have a tim on yours?

I only have hibbys on mine :smug:

ArabHibee
20-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Do you not have a tim on yours?

I only have hibbys on mine :smug:

Fair point, but she's purely there for comedy value.

Good for you only having hibbys on your Facebook.
(Pity its only an imaginary Facebook page, you welt) :greengrin

Removed
20-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Fair point, but she's purely there for comedy value.

Good for you only having hibbys on your Facebook.
(Pity its only an imaginary Facebook page, you welt) :greengrin

Should have said only REAL hibbys :na na:

You're blocked :faf:

ArabHibee
20-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Should have said only REAL hibbys :na na:

You're blocked :faf:

Bite me http://smileyicons.net/s/105.gif

hibeedonald
20-03-2011, 08:41 PM
hmm its a tough one, both despicable clubs.

Managers; Walter Smith = the only good thing about rangers, admitted we played very well after beating them at Ibrox. Neil Lennon = one of the most annoying people ever too manage a club.

Fans; Rangers always seem to cause a lot more trouble, they seem to sing sectarian songs more often than Celtic, not to mention tarnishing the country's reputation several times abroad. Celtic fans can be just as bad, with booing British soldiers and disrupting minutes silence although for causing violent incidents they are marginally better.

Players; Naismith, McGregor, Diouf, Bougherra, Weir, can go **** themselves, however i don't personally dislike any of the of the Celtic players, probably as most of their squad is new though.

Scouse Hibee
20-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Celtic were always the Scottish team I favoured from the age of ten, think it came about when Liverpool signed King Kenny in 77. Couldn't have even told you where Hibs played back then TBH. So always favour them over Rangers, don't really care what folk make of that TBH as I have had a Hibs ST since moving here in 92 due to wifes family being Hibs supporters. :tin hat: :greengrin. Of course my passion for Hibs over Celtic has developed over the years.

frazeHFC
20-03-2011, 08:49 PM
This season Celtic annoy me slightly more with Lennon, but then again McGreggor and Jelavic's incidents at Easter Road infuriated me......all in all i hate them both the same with a passion.

There is a Yam that i always annoy by saying "You glad Rangers beat Sporting Lisbon" etc and he gets furious, it's all after he once called them the "Mini-Huns".

McD
20-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Most hearts fans I've known have found flimsy reasons for supporting rangers (probably to mask the genuine bigotted reasons).

Its a sad feature of Scotland where (particularly if asked by either rangers or celtic fans) everyone is expected to have an affiliation/less hatred for 1 side or the other. Rangers and celtic fans for the most part seem genuinely shocked when someone doesn't give a toss about either of them, as far as they are concerned the whole of existence revolves around them.

BoltonHibee
20-03-2011, 08:54 PM
I hate Rangers more than any other team in the World

Woody1985
20-03-2011, 08:57 PM
I wanted a penalty shoot out just to see the crushing defeat on the faces of either set of fans. Made no odds which ones.

frazeHFC
20-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Its a sad feature of Scotland where (particularly if asked by either rangers or celtic fans) everyone is expected to have an affiliation/less hatred for 1 side or the other. Rangers and celtic fans for the most part seem genuinely shocked when someone doesn't give a toss about either of them, as far as they are concerned the whole of existence revolves around them.

Yeah once i played for a team in Linlithgow and we were mucking about at the Astro Turf after a game and basically all of them supported Celtic or Rangers so they split the teams Celtic v Rangers, and one of the ones on the Celtic team said, "Come on our team because you are a Hibee" which when i replied "Exactly, so i hate both the Old Firm" they were genuinely shocked that i did not like Celtic more than Rangers......morons!

Greentinted
20-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Most hearts fans I've known have found flimsy reasons for supporting rangers (probably to mask the genuine bigotted reasons).

This is, for me, the problem. They hide behind all sorts of deluded veils but I believe that there is an inherent insidious sectarian issue at Tynecastle which is overlooked.
Both Mercer and Robinson attempted to eradicate (or at least address) the sectarian problems but both failed. Still the flags fly and the chants are vomited but nothing happens. (And to be fair, we know the situation is out of control re the OF, and thats where the legislation should be robustly applied)

Saorsa
20-03-2011, 09:04 PM
In the aftermath of todays CIS Cup Final, I took a Hearts fan to task over his delight in the Rangers win. My main contention was that basically, there is a certain element within the Hearts support who do fit the cliche, 'Huns without the bus fare'. His retort was simply that he hated Celtic 10 times more than he hated Rangers. When asking then why they are moved to sectarian chants when playing Celtic but not Rangers, the silence was deafening, refusing to admit that there is a significant proportion of our neighbours' following that are as bad as those in the West.
For my own part, while I'll watch the games (when I can be bothered), I am unmoved as to which side of the divide is victorious; and as is oft suggested I am most emphatically insulted when it is mooted that I must swing at least a wee bit, towards having a fondness for Celtic.
I'm not suggesting all yams are bigots but those that are, do appear to be a bit partial towards the blue corner in Old Firm matters.Sounds like a typical yam tae me.

as far as I'm concerned they are

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/twocheekssameerse.jpg

The yams badge was too big for where I was going tae put that

hibsbollah
20-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah once i played for a team in Linlithgow and we were mucking about at the Astro Turf after a game and basically all of them supported Celtic or Rangers so they split the teams Celtic v Rangers, and one of the ones on the Celtic team said, "Come on our team because you are a Hibee" which when i replied "Exactly, so i hate both the Old Firm" they were genuinely shocked that i did not like Celtic more than Rangers......morons!

Exactly the same thing happened with me...'hibs are the edinburgh tims so you go with the celtic five'....Eh NO.

Greentinted
20-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Sounds like a typical yam tae me.

Brilliant!!!:greengrin (only one problem, thats maybe far too easy on the eye. You need a big hairy felly swarmed in plooks and boils...)

HibbyAndy
20-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Sounds like a typical yam tae me.

:top marks

:greengrin

Saorsa
20-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Brilliant!!!:greengrin (only one problem, thats maybe far too easy on the eye. You need a big hairy felly swarmed in plooks and boils...)aye, well you can look for that :greengrin

Greentinted
20-03-2011, 09:15 PM
aye, well you can look for that :greengrin
:scarf: Am on it. (And hope you don't mind but have choried that for my FB pic)

Winston Ingram
20-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I have never had any leanings OF wise. I have to say since this season started I have began to hate Neil Lennon more and more so lets just say I was chuffed when I found out Rangers had won. I didn't watch the whole game as watching those bigotted twats gi's me the boak :jamboak:

Saorsa
20-03-2011, 09:17 PM
:scarf: Am on it. (And hope you don't mind but have choried that for my FB pic):thumbsup::thumbsup:

BonnieFitbaTeam
20-03-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm not suggesting all yams are bigots but those that are, do appear to be a bit partial towards the blue corner in Old Firm matters.

I notice you haven't revealed the identity of the Jambo in question, Mr R. Probably just as well, eh....:wink::devil:

Lovin' the new Fb pic though !

Pedantic_Hibee
20-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm not one for wishing career's to be ended by injury but I'd make a notable exception for Davie Weir and Steven Naismith.

Weir is a dirty old man with dirty old tricks and is all over a melee like a tramp on chips yet never seems to get reprimanded for his throat-grabbing and inciteful shoves.

Naismith's an albino-couponed ned with ADHD who spends 90 minutes arguing and snapping at opponents, when he's not falling over at the slightest touch that is.

I'd take Diouf over those two anyday. At least he gets vilified for his actions, those two flumps above not only get away with it, they get acclaimed more often than not, especially Weir.

Greentinted
20-03-2011, 09:40 PM
I notice you haven't revealed the identity of the Jambo in question, Mr R. Probably just as well, eh....:wink::devil:

Lovin' the new Fb pic though !

That wouldnae be fair...but I am genuinely interested as to why this happens over-by. I honestly don't get it. I'm a Hibs man and apart from an interest in the game overall, I certainly don't have any persuasion towards either OF club. Apart from a daft phase when I was really young (10-11ish), I have never bought into any sectarian singing, gesticulating or similar but it seems to be an ongoing undercurrent 'a way up in Gorgie'.
And the FB pic, all the credit must go to the Desperate on above! :agree:

Scouse Hibee
20-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm not one for wishing career's to be ended by injury but I'd make a notable exception for Davie Weir and Steven Naismith.

Weir is a dirty old man with dirty old tricks and is all over a melee like a tramp on chips yet never seems to get reprimanded for his throat-grabbing and inciteful shoves.

Naismith's an albino-couponed ned with ADHD who spends 90 minutes arguing and snapping at opponents, when he's not falling over at the slightest touch that is.

I'd take Diouf over those two anyday. At least he gets vilified for his actions, those two flumps above not only get away with it, they get acclaimed more often than not, especially Weir.

Get a grip!

Steve20
20-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Was glad the Huns beat them.

New Corrie
20-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Weir is the lowest of the low by a country mile, absolute **** , sleekit trouble making cowardly streak of ****

Removed
20-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Weir is the lowest of the low by a country mile, absolute **** , sleekit trouble making cowardly streak of ****

And that's only his good points :agree:

fatbloke
20-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I hate 2 things in this world. Glasgow Celtic Football Club and everything about them:thumbsup:

CallumLaidlaw
20-03-2011, 11:05 PM
I always find reason to hate one more than the other -
Kyle lafferty
Neil Lennon
Alan McGregor
Artur Boruc

It changes regularly. I do seem to dislike Celtic slightly more at the minute, and I put that down to Lennon an that smug scowl he has permanently on his face.

I really just despise them both

Sir David Gray
20-03-2011, 11:13 PM
There is no doubt whatsoever that the rivalry in Edinburgh is 99% based on football related differences and has nothing at all to do with religion.

However I do believe that Hibs and Hearts are very similar in that most fans of both clubs couldn't care less about Rangers and Celtic, Catholics and Protestants, Loyalists and Republicans etc etc. But there is a small element within the Hearts support who do favour Rangers over Celtic because they view Hearts as the Edinburgh version of Rangers, i.e. the British, Protestant club. The same applies with a small element of Hibs fans who favour Celtic over Rangers because they view Hibs as the Edinburgh version of Celtic, i.e. the Irish, Roman Catholic club. You only need to read one or two threads on here to see several Hibs fans who openly admit to having a preference for Celtic over Rangers.

I don't think sectarianism and bigotry is a major issue for either club but it does exist, albeit on far smaller scale in comparison to the rivalry in Glasgow.

On a personal note, I couldn't care less who wins in an Old Firm game, unless the outcome directly affects Hibs, which is rarely going to be the case. In terms of which side I "prefer", I used to be of the opinion, when I was younger, that Rangers were the sc*m of the Earth and Celtic were nowhere near as bad. Then I grew to understand what Celtic are actually all about and the stuff about the IRA, British armed forces, Remembrance Day and the Poppy protests go against practically every single thing that I believe in and I find those songs and actions highly offensive and totally disgraceful.

The songs that the Rangers fans sing also have no place within a football stadium and I have no time for them either but if I was pushed for an answer, I'd have to say that I dislike Celtic a bit more than Rangers and the fact that they have Neil Lennon as their current manager is the deciding factor for me.

monktonharp
21-03-2011, 12:25 AM
I dont really like Rangers

Pete
21-03-2011, 01:55 AM
If I was forced to choose between the two of them I would choose Celtic.
All Celtic are guilty of is patronising us while a LOT of Rangers fans detest everything about us because we wear green and are basically nothing more than "bead-rattlers" to them.
I know there are a lot of decent huns out there but there's a sizeable amount of huns that are misguidedly bigoted towards Hibs and their fans.

If I was a Hearts fan I would probably choose Rangers over Celtic as there is a lot of Celtic idiots who can't see past Hearts as mini-huns.

However, I think we are more justified than Hearts fans in disliking one of the Old Firm. In my experience there is a lot more anti-catholic feeling in general than there is anti-protestant...and I'm saying that as a protestant.
Rangers seem to be mostly about hating the Catholic establishments first and "British pride" second, while Celtic seem to be about sucking up peoples erses first and fake Irishness second. As far as clubs go I know who is the more rotten.
As for us and Hearts, I'd say there is a lot more bigotry at Tynecastle. It's the same problem that Rangers have but on a much smaller scale. We simply don't have the same amount of people who display similar, negative emotions towards Hearts based on their protestant background.

**** Rangers and **** Hearts...due to the amount of them that would probably stick it to me because they just assume I'm a "pape", "fenian" or whatever and therefore deserve it.

Dunbar Hibee
21-03-2011, 03:09 AM
All Celtic are guilty of is patronising us while a LOT of Rangers fans detest everything about us because we wear green and are basically nothing more than "bead-rattlers" to them.
I know there are a lot of decent huns out there but there's a sizeable amount of huns that are misguidedly bigoted towards Hibs and their fans.

If I was a Hearts fan I would probably choose Rangers over Celtic as there is a lot of Celtic idiots who can't see past Hearts as mini-huns.

However, I think we are more justified than Hearts fans in disliking one of the Old Firm. In my experience there is a lot more anti-catholic feeling in general than there is anti-protestant...and I'm saying that as a protestant.
Rangers seem to be mostly about hating the Catholic establishments first and "British pride" second, while Celtic seem to be about sucking up peoples erses first and fake Irishness second. As far as clubs go I know who is the more rotten.
As for us and Hearts, I'd say there is a lot more bigotry at Tynecastle. It's the same problem that Rangers have but on a much smaller scale. We simply don't have the same amount of people who display similar, negative emotions towards Hearts based on their protestant background.

**** Rangers and **** Hearts...due to the amount of them that would probably stick it to me because they just assume I'm a "pape", "fenian" or whatever and therefore deserve it.

:top marks Top notch post sir.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-03-2011, 07:52 AM
The only time I'm bothered is if I have had a punt on the game!

ArabHibee
21-03-2011, 08:27 AM
I don't care who wins in an old firm Derby, as long as Celtc get beat.:tee hee:

StevieC
21-03-2011, 08:36 AM
I prefer to see the team that goes ahead getting beaten.

Purely because the fans of that team will be twice as sick at the end of the game after losing a lead.

lapsedhibee
21-03-2011, 09:04 AM
I prefer to see the team that goes ahead getting beaten.

Purely because the fans of that team will be twice as sick at the end of the game after losing a lead.

Sounds like a good philosophy - but doesn't overturning a deficit make the eventual winners' fans twice as jubilant, which cancels out the pleasurable twice-as-sickness? :dunno:

Golden Bear
21-03-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm totally impartial as I hate both of them with a passion.

They're a cancerous carbuncle on the face of the nation and nothing short of an embarrassment.

Hibernia Na Eir
21-03-2011, 09:21 AM
I despise both rangers and hearts equally - hate is too weak a word though. Would love to see both go to the wall under their massive debts. If only one does then its a bonus for our game. Be rid of the vermin once and for all!

Golden Bear
21-03-2011, 09:25 AM
I despise both rangers and hearts equally - hate is too weak a word though. Would love to see both go to the wall under their massive debts. If only one does then its a bonus for our game. Be rid of the vermin once and for all!

So are Hearts & Rangers now the Old Firm.

:confused:

moggie
21-03-2011, 09:36 AM
I hate both with a passion and go along with the views on Naismith, hes a sleekit coward of a footballer.
But now i want to see Lennon fail big time. The fans got what they wanted in their " celtic minded p*sh" so now i want to see that crumble.

Phil MaGlass
21-03-2011, 10:11 AM
As much as I hate the huns,for the first time ever (that I can recall) I wanted them to win, just to stick it up their paranoid :asshole::asshole:
Hope they also lose the league.

JT Fae The Toon
21-03-2011, 04:11 PM
There is no doubt whatsoever that the rivalry in Edinburgh is 99% based on football related differences and has nothing at all to do with religion.

However I do believe that Hibs and Hearts are very similar in that most fans of both clubs couldn't care less about Rangers and Celtic, Catholics and Protestants, Loyalists and Republicans etc etc. But there is a small element within the Hearts support who do favour Rangers over Celtic because they view Hearts as the Edinburgh version of Rangers, i.e. the British, Protestant club. The same applies with a small element of Hibs fans who favour Celtic over Rangers because they view Hibs as the Edinburgh version of Celtic, i.e. the Irish, Roman Catholic club. You only need to read one or two threads on here to see several Hibs fans who openly admit to having a preference for Celtic over Rangers.

I don't think sectarianism and bigotry is a major issue for either club but it does exist, albeit on far smaller scale in comparison to the rivalry in Glasgow.

On a personal note, I couldn't care less who wins in an Old Firm game, unless the outcome directly affects Hibs, which is rarely going to be the case. In terms of which side I "prefer", I used to be of the opinion, when I was younger, that Rangers were the sc*m of the Earth and Celtic were nowhere near as bad. Then I grew to understand what Celtic are actually all about and the stuff about the IRA, British armed forces, Remembrance Day and the Poppy protests go against practically every single thing that I believe in and I find those songs and actions highly offensive and totally disgraceful.

The songs that the Rangers fans sing also have no place within a football stadium and I have no time for them either but if I was pushed for an answer, I'd have to say that I dislike Celtic a bit more than Rangers and the fact that they have Neil Lennon as their current manager is the deciding factor for me.

FalkirkHibee - a brilliant star in a sky of darkness.:agree: Your post says it all for me - for the record, I couldn't give a toss who won yesterday. My team wasn't playing so I never even watched the game.

As far as who I despise the most - that's easy? Which ever one of the ****bags that most recently visited the Roseburn Stand and offended my senses with whatever pish they spout about something that happened somewhere else a long, long time ago.

Killiehibbie
21-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Why would you have a Yam on your Facebook? :confused:Why would he have facebook?

Halifaxhibby
21-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I can't stand either of the bigot brothers, they have ruined scottish football.
I do however like Walter Smith, he always praises us when we go to castle greyskull and pump them!!:greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
22-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Despise both of them with a passion and really could not care about the result. Tend to hope that whoever is lowest in the league comes back and beats the top team though. Something sadly satisfying in that. Lennon is despicable and should never be the official face of velcro never mind a football club. Smith comes over a lot better now than he did first time around with der Hun. McCoist will change all that and next season I will probably despise the cheeky chappy even more than gingerbaws (if that is possible)

Dashing Bob S
22-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Despise them both, the way they've carve up Scottish football for their own gain and poisoned our society by insitutionalising and promoting sectarianism.

Rangers fans I loathe the most; bigoted, white-trash simpletons of the worst kind. Unable to see reason, and general cowards who hunt and bully in numbers but are slack-jawed and timid in a one-on-one situation. (Just my personal experience.) But at least they are honest in their moronic hatred.

Celtic fans in some ways are even more objectionable, simply because they have a more intelligent element within their support, who refuse to acknowledge how their club works in partnership with Rangers to pursue their joint interests, and exploit generations of working-class Scots by poisoning them with this nonsense for the benefit of their coffers. There is a sickening hypocrisy in this false, thieving, lying institution, drunk and boorish on its own mythology.

So I probably hate Rangers fans the most, but Celtic, as a club, more than Rangers.

So about even in my loathing of the OF.

I agree with Falkirk Hibs post - most real Hibs and Hearts fans have no time for the OF. I will add though, and as a points-scoring thing, that Hearts have far more Hun wanabees than Hibs have supporters who have anything but loathing or antipathy for Celtic. We've grown up on the issue over the years, too many of them still cling to this Hun wanabee thing, which is engendered by the ludicrous, supremacist 'big team' mentality.

Hainan Hibs
22-03-2011, 04:45 PM
I tend to want Rangers to win the Old Firm derby just to get it right up the Hibs fans who prefer Celtic.

We are lucky to still be around after all that manky mob have done and it is beyond me why any Hibs fan actually has a preference for them.

StevieC
22-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a good philosophy - but doesn't overturning a deficit make the eventual winners' fans twice as jubilant, which cancels out the pleasurable twice-as-sickness? :dunno:

I honestly dont think that the supporters of the winning team will be any more jubilant whether they were ahead from the first goal or they'd come back from behind.

Unless they'd scored 2 in injury time. :rolleyes:

StevieC
22-03-2011, 05:49 PM
We are lucky to still be around after all that manky mob have done and it is beyond me why any Hibs fan actually has a preference for them.

It's not beyond me.

:wink:

weecounty hibby
22-03-2011, 06:12 PM

Astonishing post. "all Celtic are guilty of etcetc" No they are guilty of killing the original Hibernian FC. They are the ONLY club to have actively set out and succeeded in destroying our Club. They are an odious bunch from top to bottom from start to finish and from chairman to fans.
Rangers are not much better but they are at least up front about how much they hate us.

lapsedhibee
22-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Astonishing post. "all Celtic are guilty of etcetc" No they are guilty of killing the original Hibernian FC.

Shirley the current Celtc FC can't be to blame for things that happened 130 years ago? Isn't this wandering into OFGTF 1690 etc territory, refusing to let go of old grudges? Would prefer to detest them for what they are today - and that isn't anything to do with Lemon and his antics, but their continuing willing participation as essential component of the lucrative OFGTF cesspit.

KeithTheHibby
22-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Couldn't give a flying about either team however I do take consolation that one set of fans are losers.

The Harp
23-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Hate the pair of them and only want them to win when they play the Gorgie mob or when one of them winning is to Hibs advantage.
Although Celtic have done all kinds of dirty tricks to threaten Hibs existence, Rangers will always be no 1 in my hate list for the religious apartheid they operated down the years.

calamitus
23-03-2011, 02:35 AM
9 years of smug, biggoted dominance during my twenties bred a special kind of hatred for Rangers in me that can't be touched by Lennon's paranoid, yellow toothed, thunder-faced rants.

For me, Lennon - odious troll that he seems to have become - is at his heart a guy that's passionate about his club, clearly feeling the pressure and coming close to cracking under the strain.

Contrast this to the to the smiling-faced, grubby, talent-wasting, soul-less, morally bankrupt antics of McCoist, Ian Ferguson, Durant, Goram etc in the late 80s and 90's (at least that's how it always appeared to me), and there's no contest for me.

Don't get me wrong - I don't like Celtic, and I know the've got huge issues, but for me, I always genuinely hope they do well in Europe, so that:
a. Scottish football doesn't look ***** - which = less marketability, which = less money for us from TV
b. If they manage to do well, there's actually a European place for us to play for, because our co-efficient isn't screwed

These 2 points should still hold true for Rangers, which should mean I support them when they play in Europe, but when they lose, I'm always glad.

I know some people had a problem with Rangers being some kind of England select when they were banned from Europe, but I never minded the English players - I've got loads of respect for Terry Butcher, and Mark Hatelely was a genuinely world class player playing in our league.

Their Scottish contingent was always different, though, and none more so than the 'more Scottish than someone who's actually Scottish' Andy Goram. While he was also one of the few world class players we've had in the last few decades, he was/is , in my opinion, exactly the kind of person that fits right in at Rangers, which is to say, the type of person that I'm actually embarassed played for our club.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, read his ghost-written autobiographies in order, then read his confessional/UVF apologist articles from the last couple of years, which should give you the measure of the guy.
For me, saying he was great in goals for us is like saying Harold Shipman was good at diagnosing diabetes - it might be true, but kind of misses the point.

Ooh - I've had a bit of a rant there.

whiskyhibby
23-03-2011, 05:14 AM
Isn't this wandering into OFGTF 1690 etc territory, refusing to let go of old grudges? Would prefer to detest them for what they are today - and that isn't anything to do with Lemon and his antics, but their continuing willing participation as essential component of the lucrative OFGTF cesspit.

"Shirley the current Celtc FC can't be to blame for things that happened 130 years ago? "

Why not?

it's those f****rs that constantly want to drag Scotland back 300 years or back to the 1920's with their PIRA guff

lapsedhibee
23-03-2011, 08:02 AM
"Shirley the current Celtc FC can't be to blame for things that happened 130 years ago? "

Why not?

it's those f****rs that constantly want to drag Scotland back 300 years or back to the 1920's with their PIRA guff

That's my point. It's odious of them to hark back to the 1920s, and odious of their ugly sister to hark back to bygone days - we'd be making basically the same mistake if we insisted on defining Celtc by what happened in the 1880s.

libernian
23-03-2011, 08:20 AM
'mon the gers!

scotland v england: scotland
europe v usa: europe
edinburgh v glasgow: edinburgh
rangers v celtic: rangers

should add, not that i really care but if i had to pick it would be rangers. we should have a poll.

johnrebus
23-03-2011, 10:12 AM
9 years of smug, biggoted dominance during my twenties bred a special kind of hatred for Rangers in me that can't be touched by Lennon's paranoid, yellow toothed, thunder-faced rants.

For me, Lennon - odious troll that he seems to have become - is at his heart a guy that's passionate about his club, clearly feeling the pressure and coming close to cracking under the strain.

Contrast this to the to the smiling-faced, grubby, talent-wasting, soul-less, morally bankrupt antics of McCoist, Ian Ferguson, Durant, Goram etc in the late 80s and 90's (at least that's how it always appeared to me), and there's no contest for me.

Don't get me wrong - I don't like Celtic, and I know the've got huge issues, but for me, I always genuinely hope they do well in Europe, so that:
a. Scottish football doesn't look ***** - which = less marketability, which = less money for us from TV
b. If they manage to do well, there's actually a European place for us to play for, because our co-efficient isn't screwed

These 2 points should still hold true for Rangers, which should mean I support them when they play in Europe, but when they lose, I'm always glad.

I know some people had a problem with Rangers being some kind of England select when they were banned from Europe, but I never minded the English players - I've got loads of respect for Terry Butcher, and Mark Hatelely was a genuinely world class player playing in our league.Their Scottish contingent was always different, though, and none more so than the 'more Scottish than someone who's actually Scottish' Andy Goram. While he was also one of the few world class players we've had in the last few decades, he was/is , in my opinion, exactly the kind of person that fits right in at Rangers, which is to say, the type of person that I'm actually embarassed played for our club.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, read his ghost-written autobiographies in order, then read his confessional/UVF apologist articles from the last couple of years, which should give you the measure of the guy.
For me, saying he was great in goals for us is like saying Harold Shipman was good at diagnosing diabetes - it might be true, but kind of misses the point.

Agree with most of what you say, but Hateley world class?

:no way:

I think it was Jimmy Greaves that said that Hateley's first touch was a pass.....,

Overated obnoxious Hun of the worst kind. Always happy to spout Hun pish to order for the Daily Record.

:grr:

New Corrie
23-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Agree with most of what you say, but Hateley world class?

:no way:

I think it was Jimmy Greaves that said that Hateley's first touch was a pass.....,

Overated obnoxious Hun of the worst kind. Always happy to spout Hun pish to order for the Daily Record.

:grr:

Remember when his dad Tony Hateley was at Chelsea, Shankley enquired about him, Tommy Docherty tells Shanks, 100 000 wouldn't buy him!!!! To which Shanks says.....aye, and am one of them!:hide:

Dinkydoo
23-03-2011, 12:54 PM
I dislike Celtic more so than Rangers this season - simply because Lennon has done my head in since the first game back in August - however, it may well be Rangers that I hate more next season depending on the way the club and fans behave.

IMO they really are just two sides of the same arse - as a certain Desperate Hibby so brilliantly illustrated earlier in this thread :greengrin.

The OF are the shame of Scotland; without any shadow of a doubt.

tony higgins
23-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Not another old firm thread.
No but who do you really like.
Yeh but no but..................................

Iggy Pope
23-03-2011, 08:33 PM

I know some people had a problem with Rangers being some kind of England select when they were banned from Europe, but I never minded the English players - I've got loads of respect for Terry Butcher, and Mark Hatelely was a genuinely world class player playing in our league.

Their Scottish contingent was always different, though, and none more so than the 'more Scottish than someone who's actually Scottish' Andy Goram. While he was also one of the few world class players we've had in the last few decades, he was/is , in my opinion, exactly the kind of person that fits right in at Rangers, which is to say, the type of person that I'm actually embarassed played for our club.

Ten out of ten. Apart from the Hateley bit. He's a balloon and Terry Hurlock, Paul Rideout and Gascoigne can go on that list too.