PDA

View Full Version : Top five now confirmed...

Liberal Hibby
19-03-2011, 10:07 PM
... but sixth is still open.

And we can't now be relegated

Motherwell look like they are in freefall and have to play Dundee Utd, Hearts and Aberdeen before the split - can't see them getting more than two points out of that = 39 points

ICT have to play Celtic, Kilmarnock and Hearts - can't see them getting more than two points out of that = 38 points

St Johnstone have Killie, Utd and I assume two games to be arranged against the OF, four points possible = 37

So if we can get eight points or more from our four remaining fixtures we could sneak that last top six place.

Or am I being hopelessly optimistic?

Ryan91
19-03-2011, 10:31 PM
In our final 4 fixtures, we have Hearts (H), Aberdeen (A), St. Mirren (H) and Celtic (A). I see us beating Sheep and Saints, 6 points there, hopefully a win against Hearts (but I'll be conservative and go for a draw, unfortunately), which would mean that we'd need to win at Parkhead, only way to do that would be to play like we've never done so before, still think we'll lose to them though.

Removed
19-03-2011, 10:40 PM
In our final 4 fixtures, we have Hearts (H), Aberdeen (A), St. Mirren (H) and Celtic (A). I see us beating Sheep and Saints, 6 points there, hopefully a win against Hearts (but I'll be conservative and go for a draw, unfortunately), which would mean that we'd need to win at Parkhead, only way to do that would be to play like we've never done so before, still think we'll lose to them though.

What about Hibs & Hearts agreeing for them to lie down an ER and we give them the three points back at the PBS :dunno:

Financially worth it for both teams :agree:

I wouldn't discount it. Football is about cash after all. Our board have already made that obvious.

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Not sure if it's guaranteed we cannot be relegated, although highly unlikely I'd reckon, would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Top six probably still just too far out of our reach, althought todays results went our way. Either way, we'll be going into the last 5 games with nowt to play for with Europe and Relegation all but sorted already.

The top six will at least see us playing some high profile games, probably at Saturday or Sunday lunchtime kick offs, bottom six will likely see most of our games played at 3pm on a Saturday. Hmmm. :hmmm:

Liberal Hibby
19-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Not sure if it's guaranteed we cannot be relegated, although highly unlikely I'd reckon, would be delighted to be proved wrong.
:

You're right. Hamilton can still overtake us if they manage to get 17 points out of their remaining eight games and we fail to pick up another point. It's taken them 30 games to amass 16 points...

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-03-2011, 11:35 PM
You're right. Hamilton can still overtake us if they manage to get 17 points out of their remaining eight games and we fail to pick up another point. It's taken them 30 games to amass 16 points...

I'm sure we'll be able to guarantee it in a few weeks time, but at the moment we cannot. GGTTH in a few weeks time. :greengrin

Liberal Hibby
19-03-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm sure we'll be able to guarantee it in a few weeks time, but at the moment we cannot. GGTTH in a few weeks time. :greengrin

Indeed - as early as two game times if we win one and they lose two.

ScottB
20-03-2011, 12:01 AM

Motherwell look like they are in freefall and have to play Dundee Utd, Hearts and Aberdeen before the split - can't see them getting more than two points out of that = 39 points

ICT have to play Celtic, Kilmarnock and Hearts - can't see them getting more than two points out of that = 38 points

St Johnstone have Killie, Utd and I assume two games to be arranged against the OF, four points possible = 37

So if we can get eight points or more from our four remaining fixtures we could sneak that last top six place.

I'd give Motherwell one point from that, ICT none, St Johnstone too will be lucky to get any, Killie and Utd are form teams at the moment.

Personally I reckon we'll beat Hearts, just a feeling, Hamilton will be dead and buried by the time we face them, so hopefully we'll win. Beating the Dons will be crucial as they too are in with a shout for 6th.

It's going to be difficult, and is as much about other teams results than just our own, but it is by no means impossible!

Peevemor
20-03-2011, 12:54 AM

:worried:

Zondervan
20-03-2011, 04:05 AM
Who gives a Weiner Schnitzel. Jah?

John Hughes (all round nice guy but failure as a football manager) made a foo-foo of things.

If he was still in charge, we would be Hamilton but probably 5 points worse off.

So chill out everyone and just be glad we ain't battling it out with Morton & Partick Thistle next season.

CCGAWA!!!!! :cgwa:flag::thumbsup::greengrin

francobaresi
20-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Indeed you are being hopelessly optimistic! But as someone else rightly said, I'm happy in the bottom half & grateful not to be entertaining lower divisions. Win some games & get that confidence back again for next season. Onwards & upwards...

GGTTH

Ritchie
20-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Is it still possible for us to achieve a European place?............:offski:

sunshine1875
20-03-2011, 08:54 AM

It is Hamilton at home, not St. Mirren. Last game played before the split, so we may have something to play for going into the game.

howdenthehibby
20-03-2011, 09:53 AM
I'am happy to avoid relagation this time after the start we had ,If we make the top six i will look on it as a bit of a bonus.But i am very optimistic for next season,it could be very interesting.:cgwa

basehibby
20-03-2011, 10:37 AM

You're not being overly optimistic about the teams above us - ICT, StJ and 'well could easily finish on 40 points or less.

The optimistic bit is Hibs getting AT LEAST 8 points from the next 4 games - not impossible of course, but a tall order, even given the recent upturn in fortunes.

brog
20-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Top six probably still just too far out of our reach, althought todays results went our way. Either way, we'll be going into the last 5 games with nowt to play for with Europe and Relegation all but sorted already.

The top six will at least see us playing some high profile games, probably at Saturday or Sunday lunchtime kick offs, bottom six will likely see most of our games played at 3pm on a Saturday. Hmmm. :hmmm:

Top 5 is not yet guaranteed either. It's an unlikely scenario but Well or ICT could still overtake Killie, or even DU in case of Well. I doubt we'll make top 6 but as Hamilton have 2 wins from 30 games & need 6 out their last 8 to beat us I reckon we're safe!! :wink:

iwasthere1972
20-03-2011, 01:40 PM
English TV confirmed yesterday that Kilmarnock have now secured a play off place in the SPL. :confused:

Idiots. :agree:

Sir David Gray
20-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Yesterday's results certainly went our way but I still can't see us getting into the top six.

We haven't been in the top six since the opening game of the season so there's no doubt that it will be a tall order for us to make it.

I said after we beat St Mirren at home last month that we would need to win at least 6 out of our last 9 matches to have a chance of getting into the top six. We've gone on to win 4 so far and we find ourselves 5 points away from 6th. I think it's fair to say that we won't catch Motherwell by just getting six points so I think we'll need to win 3 out of our last 4 matches before the split to have any chance at all.

It'll just be a bit too much for us.