PDA

View Full Version : Sodje in 'shock' preference for Hibs over Southend Utd

BEEJ
19-03-2011, 09:24 AM
:rolleyes:

At least that's how this Southend fan views it.

Sturrock on signings: 'We've gone in for several players including Akpo Sodje who chose Hibernian!'

By westfield shrimper
Updated Thursday, 17th March 2011

There's only a week & a bit left in the loan window and Southend United boss Paul Sturrock insists it's tough out there, but it's not his fault players would rather go to Edinburgh than Essex!

Sturrock: 'We will continue to work hard to bring people in'

So still no loan signings with a depleted squad on it's last legs, those that have legs to stand on, but Blues boss Paul Sturrock is defiant; we've tried, it's not his fault players prefer Edinburgh to Essex, or Bury!

Sturrock told www.echo-news.co.uk: "I'm fully aware that we need to strengthen our squad, but I would like the supporters to know that it isn't for the want of trying that we haven't made any signings yet. We've gone in for several players including the boy Chris Holroyd who has just gone to Bury, Akpo Sodje who chose to join Hibernian, Lewis Grabban who went to Brentford and another lad who chose to go to Brentford from Reading."

http://www.southendunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/sturrock_on_signings_weve_gone_in_for_several_play ers_including_akpo_sodje_who_chose_hibernian_65863 3/index.shtml

For context, Southend are half way up League 2 in England.

Even at basement level down there, they don't have a great opinion of our game, do they? :greengrin

Bayern Bru
19-03-2011, 09:59 AM
He must not have known about this :greengrin (http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/tag/roots-hall)

http://www.footballgroundz.co.uk/pictures/southend6.jpg
And their ground.

Couldn't find any images of their training centre :cool2:

I suspect there were a few reasons Akpo chose the famous Edinburgh Hibees. :flag:

ScottB
19-03-2011, 10:32 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if they could at least match or better what we are paying him!

Still, the lure of Edinburgh as a city, a top flight club with some chance of European football if he stays long term and an arguably higher profile down South.

Elephant Stone
19-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Think you've misinterpreted that, mate. Doesn't mention any shock that Sodje chose Hibs, just that the manager can't be blamed for not signing players if their signing targets choose other clubs.

I think we can let the guy off here :wink:

Hibernia Na Eir
19-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Sodje's member would never have got the same status from Sowfend fans as it does at Hibs :greengrin

c31
19-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Southend have the longest one in the world!!!!!!

Their pier is 1.3 miles long

oldbutdim
19-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Think you've misinterpreted that, mate. Doesn't mention any shock that Sodje chose Hibs, just that the manager can't be blamed for not signing players if their signing targets choose other clubs.

I think we can let the guy off here :wink:

I misread the title.

Thought it was a sock preference and may have related to some song I heard about him.
:confused:

Bayern Bru
19-03-2011, 01:54 PM
I misread the title.

Thought it was a sock preference and may have related to some song I heard about him.
:confused:

Everyone knows about the Hibs socks' superiority. :agree:

Hibernia Na Eir
19-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Southend have the longest one in the world!!!!!!

Their pier is 1.3 miles long

since when has a peir been referred to as a member ??:confused:

Future17
20-03-2011, 10:33 AM
since when has a peir been referred to as a member ??:confused:

House of Lords? :wink:

degenerated
20-03-2011, 10:52 AM
House of Lords? :wink:

:tee hee:

DC_Hibs
20-03-2011, 11:07 AM
quite laughable really and expected from a team that far south.

Meanwhile we have St Pauli claiming "anti establishment since" despite having a commercial tie in with Nike for their own training shoe and the third bigest merchandising income in the Bundesliga........ and by my reckoning the largest percentage of business seats in the league also. That'll be why some of their fans have fekd off to Altona or is it the difficulty in getting tickets due to the number of flaps that have latched on to them?

The income will be handy though when they are heading down to the second division (Celtic tramps) after ydays result. Good to see plenty Celtic tops there as well.

apologies for thread hijack but it has to be said.

it's magic you know, politics and football don't go

maturehibby
20-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Am looking forward to his up and at em style upsetting the jambos defence as Higdon did yesterday and they could not cope so this has given me even more confidence that we will beat them on the 3 rd of April

Septimus
21-03-2011, 06:47 AM
My recollection of Southend is that they can barely speak English there. I wonder who translates for Sturrock.

HenryMonk
21-03-2011, 09:46 AM
quite laughable really and expected from a team that far south.

Meanwhile we have St Pauli claiming "anti establishment since" despite having a commercial tie in with Nike for their own training shoe and the third bigest merchandising income in the Bundesliga........ and by my reckoning the largest percentage of business seats in the league also. That'll be why some of their fans have fekd off to Altona or is it the difficulty in getting tickets due to the number of flaps that have latched on to them?

The income will be handy though when they are heading down to the second division (Celtic tramps) after ydays result. Good to see plenty Celtic tops there as well.

apologies for thread hijack but it has to be said.

it's magic you know, politics and football don't go

dont think davey will respond DC, but your correct it had to be said!!