PDA

View Full Version : NHC Time Wasting Substitutions

Newry Hibs
18-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Watching the Europa league last night (and pretty much any close game) it struck me about the annoyance of substitutes being used to kill a game in the last couple of minutes - players very slowly walking off etc.

Is there any reason the match has to be stopped to make substitutes? Surely the 4th official could tell the ref a sub has been requested and when the ref agrees, the substitution can be made and controlled by the 4th official when play is continuing?

I suppose there will be a lot of players really badly injured in the last minute of stoppage time to get round this.

bob12345
18-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Stoppage time in general is a nonsense. Yesterday the board for 4 mins went up at the Rangers match with 89 mins gone, and play didn't start til 2 mins later, yet FT blown bang on 94. Against Hearts in the last derby a fan held onto the ball for 30 - 45 seconds for a laugh and once again, final whistle right on 93. It's a token guesture.

SouthamptonHibs
18-03-2011, 07:06 PM
it's all part of the game...i play sat and sun football and if we're winning we'll slow the game up and if we're getting beat we moan about time wasting ie late subs etc...
The question should be why wait till extra time / time added on to decide to score?
Each team has 90mins to srt it out.....

Hibernian Verse
19-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Play should stop like in Rugby, therefore noone can moan about anything.

bob12345
19-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Play should stop like in Rugby, therefore noone can moan about anything.

Games would last roughly 2 hours.

stanton_4
19-03-2011, 11:02 PM
I've often wondered why teams bother doing it anyway. It's my understanding that 30 seconds are added on for every substitution made. Am I wrong?

Woody1985
19-03-2011, 11:44 PM
I've often wondered why teams bother doing it anyway. It's my understanding that 30 seconds are added on for every substitution made. Am I wrong?

You're correct but it breaks up the flow of the play, gives the defending team a breather and it really, really pissed off the attacking team.

stanton_4
20-03-2011, 08:23 AM
You're correct but it breaks up the flow of the play, gives the defending team a breather and it really, really pissed off the attacking team.

Aye fair enough Woody. Shouldn't be called time wasting tactics though. Frustration tactics? :greengrin

Hibeesb0unc3
20-03-2011, 09:47 AM
yeah every team does it and time should be added on for them being made so it should counter itself out. But no added time would ruin part of football i enjoy and that is teams scoring last gasp winners or equalisers and the supporters going wild

HibeesLA
20-03-2011, 04:21 PM

At the referee's discretion really. Once the board goes up, it means a minimum of that amount of time is to be played. If subs, goals, injuries happen during that period, the referee may add time for those incidents, but I don't see many that really do.

On the flip side, once the time is up, the referee can blow the whistle for full time, regardless of if the ball is in play or not. A lot of times, refs will allow for corners or free kicks to be taken, but they don't have to.

Newry Hibs
20-03-2011, 08:20 PM
I can see why teams do it and it's great when it's your team (and the old 'keep the ball by the corner flag') - but is there actually an official reason why play stops? Does the ref have to make a note etc etc?