PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Football

Billy Whizz
18-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Although there are lots of negatives around a 10 Team League. One of the things that has been mooted is Friday night football. I think this would be a great idea. I even preferred the old 6.05pm kick off's on a Sunday night verses a Saturday or Sunday lunchtime kick off.
What is everyone else's view on this?

HH81
18-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Would crowds drop though as it would be a night game? That might be a worry.

I think crowds tend to be lower on an evening although I don't have stats to back that up.

Peevemor
18-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Would crowds drop though as it would be a night game? That might be a worry.

I think crowds tend to be lower on an evening although I don't have stats to back that up.

I remember about 12/13 years ago there were some televised matches played on a Friday night (Killie v Hibs being one). Attendances were well down.

El Gubbz
18-03-2011, 12:20 PM
A definite no go. I work Friday nights

Franck is God
18-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I think Friday night fixtures are an excellent idea, most fans will be finishing at 5, couple of swift halfs then off to the game. A good plan in my book.

Not so much an issue for kids going either as its not a school night.

Also to use Killie v Hibs as an example of evening football not drawing much of a crowd is a bit unfair, Killie have a fairly small home support and travelling from Edinburgh to Kilmarnock at 5pm is not the best of trips to make if you are working.

easty
18-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I think Friday night fixtures are an excellent idea, most fans will be finishing at 5, couple of swift halfs then off to the game. A good plan in my book.

Not so much an issue for kids going either as its not a school night.

Also to use Killie v Hibs as an example of evening football not drawing much of a crowd is a bit unfair, Killie have a fairly small home support and travelling from Edinburgh to Kilmarnock at 5pm is not the best of trips to make if you are working.

or a quick one?

Gatecrasher
18-03-2011, 12:49 PM
i personally would like the SPL to try out Friday night football, I think it would be a better time to kick off than 1230 saturday or 1200 sunday. i think the atmosphere would be better because of the friday feeling :agree:

marinello59
18-03-2011, 12:59 PM
It wouldn't so good for out of towners I guess who may struggle to make an evening kick off on a regular basis. May well be worth trying though nothing beats a Saturday 3pm kick off.

Gatecrasher
18-03-2011, 01:01 PM
It wouldn't so good for out of towners I guess who may struggle to make an evening kick off on a regular basis. May well be worth trying though nothing beats a Saturday 3pm kick off.

Why would it be more difficult on a Friday rather than a wednesday or tuesday when games are played on those nights?

marinello59
18-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Why would it be more difficult on a Friday rather than a wednesday or tuesday when games are played on those nights?

Any mid week night is difficult for some. The fact it is Friday is neither here nor there.

Gatecrasher
18-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Any mid week night is difficult for some. The fact it is Friday is neither here nor there.

Fair enough, i thought you were meaning that Fridays in particular would be difficult. Being an "out of towner" i agree with that but i still think it would be at least worth a try :agree:

kennyh
18-03-2011, 03:21 PM
I seem to recall the police didnt give permission for either us of the yams to play at home on a Friday.

Duffys13
18-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Although there are lots of negatives around a 10 Team League. One of the things that has been mooted is Friday night football. I think this would be a great idea. I even preferred the old 6.05pm kick off's on a Sunday night verses a Saturday or Sunday lunchtime kick off.
What is everyone else's view on this?

Yes indeed, the good old days of a Sunday night game. Some great games on the Sunday night I seem to remember such as 6-2 and an epic with Dundee United. You could also spend a good few hours in the pub before it!!!

Pretty Boy
18-03-2011, 03:57 PM
I'd quite fancy a Friday night game.

Few beers after work, game then straight out for a Friday night out.

Obviously thats just a personal preference though and if Friday night games impacted on Hibs financially then it wouldn't be a great idea. As has been said though nothing beats a traditional 3PM saturday kick off.

jdships
18-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Good post !!
How many people who live in Edinburgh but more than a few miles from ER ( and who finish work at 17.00 ) would manage to get home,change , have a meal and travel ?
How many supporters who live in Fife, E & W Lothian , Borders etc manage ?
Remember midweek evening attendances are always less than Saturday matches

:confused:

.Sean.
18-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I'd love Friday night fixtures. Make a cracking mid-evening and night.