PDA

View Full Version : Rob Jones

BigKev
17-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Signed for Sheff Wed on loan. As an Owl I'm delighted :thumbsup:

Aw the best big man!

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield_wednesday_sign_rob_jones_from_scunthorpe _1_3190372

nribs
17-03-2011, 05:19 PM
As a fellow owl im unsure but we are shipping them in
Signed for Sheff Wed on loan. As an Owl I'm delighted :thumbsup:

Aw the best big man!

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield_wednesday_sign_rob_jones_from_scunthorpe _1_3190372

--------
17-03-2011, 05:32 PM
As a fellow owl im unsure but we are shipping them in

You'll be told lots of good things about him on here, mate, but at 31 he'll be slowing up, and he was never the quickest at the best of times. If the guy from Wolves can stop him from dropping deeper and deeper until he's playing on the goalie's toes he may do OK in the short term. I wouldn't hold my breath. I've seen pints of milk turn faster than Jones.

RickyS
17-03-2011, 05:33 PM
love to see him back at ER, thought he was the Scunny captain? has he fallen out with the manager?

--------
17-03-2011, 05:34 PM
love to see him back at ER, thought he was the Scunny captain? has he fallen out with the manager?

He didn't make the grade at Scunthorpe. Not good enough.

BigKev
17-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Not true Doddie. He was their best player by a country mile the end of last season. Fell out of favour when Atkins left for Southampton after picking up an injury.

Sheff Utd tried to get him in January but they were knocked back.

Judging by your previous comment I take it you weren't very keen on him!! He did split opinion but I loved him and think, judging by Hoggy's performances after he left, was vastly under rated by many of our support.

PeterboroHibee
17-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Was he not their record signing?

Jones was capable of outstanding performances (against both sides of the OF in the split a couple of seasons ago for example), but he also had the odd error now and again, and he did struggle for pace at times.

I know he wanted to move back down south but would have been good to see him stay at Hibs, see out his career at the club.

--------
17-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Not true Doddie. He was their best player by a country mile the end of last season. Fell out of favour when Atkins left for Southampton after picking up an injury.

Sheff Utd tried to get him in January but they were knocked back.

Judging by your previous comment I take it you weren't very keen on him!! He did split opinion but I loved him and think, judging by Hoggy's performances after he left, was vastly under rated by many of our support.

Depends how you want to build your team. I prefer centre-backs to be quick and mobile. Jones was neither - the best you can say is that he was a bit quicker over the ground than Colin Murdock. But then, so am I, and I'm 61 and 20% overweight.

"Not keen on him" doesn't quite do my feelings about him justice, I'm afraid. Didn't like him at all. Or Hogg, come to that. I think they both began to get found out when Whittaker and Murphy left - and Brown, and a few others as well.

However, it's all about opinions, right?

Golden Bear
17-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Depends how you want to build your team. I prefer centre-backs to be quick and mobile. Jones was neither - the best you can say is that he was a bit quicker over the ground than Colin Murdock. But then, so am I, and I'm 61 and 20% overweight.

"Not keen on him" doesn't quite do my feelings about him justice, I'm afraid. Didn't like him at all. Or Hogg, come to that. I think they both began to get found out when Whittaker and Murphy left - and Brown, and a few others as well.

I think you should go for an eye test Doddie and you really do imagine the most ridiculous of things as you get aulder.

:wink:

LaMotta
17-03-2011, 07:00 PM

How about dominating, goal scoring, Triumphant Cup winning Captain, with little competition for the accolade of best centre half at Hibs in 30 years?
:greengrin

hibsbollah
17-03-2011, 08:52 PM
He was patchy...could have a ten game streak of outstanding performances and then have a shocking run of form. Seemed to criticise more than encourage his teammates. We've had a lot worse though...

500miles
17-03-2011, 08:55 PM

That'll be Mixu's only full season then, when they had the best defensive record outside the OF?

500miles
17-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Jones is an excellent centre half if you play a deep lying back four - in fact, we got more out of him than Bamba in that role.

Although, he could never compete with Bamba in a higher line.

steakbake
18-03-2011, 12:44 AM
His good physical condition and overall presence definitely compensated for his average skills. If you need a tower or brick sh*thouse on the park, he's your man. If you want someone to make a killer pass out of defence, he's not got it.

Winston Ingram
18-03-2011, 08:10 AM

I loved the big man. When we signed him he was exactly what we needed. We had 2 dwarf CB's the previous year and we were shipping goals from set pieces. I always wonder how we would have done if we signed him a year earlier

Duffys13
18-03-2011, 09:04 AM
How about dominating, goal scoring, Triumphant Cup winning Captain, with little competition for the accolade of best centre half at Hibs in 30 years?

Yep, Jones was brilliant for us in many ways. If we were ever under the cosh from the OF - lumping balls into our box, you could be sure of him getting his head on the ball to safety. He was a threat at the other end too. I am suprised at some of the comments about him on this thread, one of the best defenders I have seen in a Hibs strip.

lucky
18-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Cup winning captain, he deserves better than some comments on here. He has been a big miss. I would take him back to play along side Hanlon.

happiehibbie
18-03-2011, 10:44 AM
We dont want him back why do people always say such things... there are new talent out there younger and better big Rob did a job for us we paid him he left end off :wink:

Pretty Boy
18-03-2011, 10:54 AM
The truth about Rob Jones lies somewhere in the middle of the opinions on this thread IMO.

He certainly wasn't an outstanding CH. Wandered about a lot chasing the ball which left those around him exposed, wasn't a particularly gifted footballer, his attitude towards other player meant he wasn't a great captain either and he had absolutely zero pace.

On the other hand he was pretty dominant in the air, for the most part knew his limitations so didn't try anything too fancy, he was effective when we played a defensive line that allowed him to drop deep and compensate for his lack of pace and as has been said he was exactly the type you wanted when a team were pumping high balls into the box with 2 or 3 minutes to go.

Beefster
18-03-2011, 11:15 AM
The truth about Rob Jones lies somewhere in the middle of the opinions on this thread IMO.

He certainly wasn't an outstanding CH. Wandered about a lot chasing the ball which left those around him exposed, wasn't a particularly gifted footballer, his attitude towards other player meant he wasn't a great captain either and he had absolutely zero pace.

On the other hand he was pretty dominant in the air, for the most part knew his limitations so didn't try anything too fancy, he was effective when we played a defensive line that allowed him to drop deep and compensate for his lack of pace and as has been said he was exactly the type you wanted when a team were pumping high balls into the box with 2 or 3 minutes to go.

IMHO, Jones' wandering also allowed him to cover for Hogg a lot. The only time that Hogg looked like a player was when he played alongside Jones.

The flip side was that I think Jones caused chaos with our goalies because the goalie was never sure whether Jones was going to go for the ball or not.

Still, the guy gave us good service, won a cup and kicked off the Killie win so deserves a little more respect than some on here give him.

hibsbollah
18-03-2011, 11:18 AM
IMHO, Jones' wandering also allowed him to cover for Hogg a lot. The only time that Hogg looked like a player was when he played alongside Jones.

The flip side was that I think Jones caused chaos with our goalies because the goalie was never sure whether Jones was going to go for the ball or not.

Still, the guy gave us good service, won a cup and kicked off the Killie win s

o deserves a little more respect than some on here give him.

Good assessment.

steakbake
18-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Yes - this is what he was most effective at, I would say. Keeping things simple. He had presence. But I wouldn't say that we've necessarily suffered from losing him and I think he moved on at the right time.

--------
18-03-2011, 11:48 AM

Rubbish. Fenwick, Hughes, Hunter, and Gary Smith were ALL much better players than Jones. Actually, so was Ian Murray when HE played at CH.

He's a limited player with one real talent - good in the air.

(But at 6' 7" it would be scandalous if he wasn't.)

He's slow. He has limited positional sense. He played havoc with our goalkeepers (who weren't that good to start with, admittedly). He isn't a talker - so why on earth Mowbray made him captain I'll never know. He was technically very limited - remember Brewster tying him in knots in the ICT game we won 1-0 with a first-minute Fletcher penalty? All the grace and elegance of a ruptured duck, that day.

And that performance was repeated ad lib most times I saw him.

The idea that Jones was the dominating leader who won us the League Cup in 2007 is also rubbish. He had guys like Brown, Whittaker, Murphy, Fletcher and Benji (really playing for once) around him - that game was won in midfield by Brown and Stevenson. He played his part, and i don't take that away from him. His goal was important, and impressive.

But the best CH at Hibs in thirty years?

Yer 'avin a larf. :faf:

Ed De Gramo
18-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I miss Rob Jones

RIP
18-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Wandered about a lot chasing the ball which left those around him exposed

Some would say that latterly he was covering for the absent midfield - after it was dismembered

wasn't a particularly gifted footballer

compared with other stoppers?

his attitude towards other players meant he wasn't a great captain either

What evidence do you have to say this - just asking, never heard this said before?

and he had absolutely zero pace.

compared with other stoppers? Funny how he managed to cover the ground to do so many last gasp tackles!

You are a centre half and constantly have to play with shaky goalies! Might you not choose to cover for them too?

Rob Jones's value to Hibs wasn't realised until he left. He was plugging more holes than Ashley Cole

allezsauzee
18-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Jones had his best spell under Mixu when we played hoofball and were very narrow allowing teams down the flanks and letting the big man deal with the crosses. I don't think he enjoyed playing the passing game under JC although obviously his finest hour was when 'the legend' was in charge as we knocked the yams out the league cup.

Dashing Bob S
18-03-2011, 01:41 PM
A fine Hibernian captain, and I hope he has an absolute hoot in his new surroundings.

Dashing Bob S
18-03-2011, 01:42 PM
...to add, I'm delighted a man of his obvious talons has found such a club.

Sergey
18-03-2011, 03:12 PM
I hear that he's been going through a Barn time.

steakbake
18-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I hear that he's been going through a Barn time.

f'n booo owl puns are tricky. Anyhow, i reckon he'll turn heads.

Hakim Sar
18-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Jones was both good and bad. Had good streaks of form but always caught ball watching and charging about like a headless chicken. Caused panic for our goalies. If he was 5'7 he'd have been useless.

On positive side he was passionate, good in the air, scored some vital goals for us, and was more productive than destructive.

Think we have had better centre halves though... Fenwick and smith spring to mind immediately.

Think some people see rob jones like Ivan sproule. Caught up a bit in the emotional sentiment of a fans favourite who could be pi5h at times

Why you laughing at me?
This doesn't need to be a problem.

Removed
18-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Just seen that winner against the yams on the way to cis glory :scarf:

Dashing Bob S
18-03-2011, 10:08 PM
f'n booo owl puns are tricky. Anyhow, i reckon he'll turn heads.

The only thing that concerns me, is that given his role in John Collin's demise, he doesn't ruffle too many feathers in the dressing room.

LaMotta
19-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Rubbish. Fenwick, Hughes, Hunter, and Gary Smith were ALL much better players than Jones. Actually, so was Ian Murray when HE played at CH.

He's a limited player with one real talent - good in the air.

(But at 6' 7" it would be scandalous if he wasn't.)

He's slow. He has limited positional sense. He played havoc with our goalkeepers (who weren't that good to start with, admittedly). He isn't a talker - so why on earth Mowbray made him captain I'll never know. He was technically very limited - remember Brewster tying him in knots in the ICT game we won 1-0 with a first-minute Fletcher penalty? All the grace and elegance of a ruptured duck, that day.

And that performance was repeated ad lib most times I saw him.

The idea that Jones was the dominating leader who won us the League Cup in 2007 is also rubbish. He had guys like Brown, Whittaker, Murphy, Fletcher and Benji (really playing for once) around him - that game was won in midfield by Brown and Stevenson. He played his part, and i don't take that away from him. His goal was important, and impressive.

But the best CH at Hibs in thirty years?

Yer 'avin a larf. :faf:

Rubbish:wink:

Fenwick - One good season with Sauzee playing beside him - as soon as Sauzee was finished Fenwick was a nightmare. Better than Jones - No chance.

Hughes - Centre half that was in a Hibs team that got relegated - need I say any more?

Hunter - A constant in the side that couldn't stop Robbo or beat Hearts for over FIVE years

Gary Smith a decent enough player but lets not forget he played in the defence that shipped 12 goals against Hearts in 3 games one season, getting sent off twice in the process. Again looked good beside Sauzee - who wouldnt? A better ball playing defender no doubt, but a better centre half - not for me.

Murray - cant comment as i missed the whole season he played at CH as i was away.

I think you are the one having the laugh with those suggestions old chap - but then as you say its all about opinions:wink: There is no denying Jones wasnt the greatest footballer in the world - but you paint a very bizaare picture of Jones clearly based on some kind of personal dislike for him.

I stand by my suggestion that he has very little competition for best centre half in 30 years, (I didn't actually say he was in case you need your spooctacles checked) and even if your suggested players were candidates, then there is STILL not much competition.

Gala Foxes
20-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Jones looked at fault with both Southampton goals, the first he jumped with the strike for a header, striker won it easily, 2nd he was caught out of position.

That said it was his first game for a team that is in freefall

Steve-O
20-03-2011, 09:13 AM

It's just that your opinion is plainly wrong if you don't think Rob Jones was good at Hibs.

Hibbyradge
20-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Having seen him on the highlights last night, I don't think moving to Wednesday was a wise move.

lapsedhibee
20-03-2011, 09:24 AM
f'n booo owl puns are tricky
:agree:

To wit:

i reckon he'll turn heads

basehibby
20-03-2011, 09:42 AM

Not good enough for Scunthorpe - Aye right! :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
20-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Not good enough for Scunthorpe - Aye right! :rolleyes:

Why else would he have been forced to drop down a division? :dunno:

basehibby
20-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Why else would he have been forced to drop down a division? :dunno:

Some folk have a very over inflated opinion re the quality of the English League and this assertion is symptomatic of that mind set IMO.

Having watched Rob Jones play for the Hibees for two years, he clearly IS good enough for Scunthorpe - and that opinion was confirmed last season by Jones' status as a regular in the Scunthorpe team which exceeded all expectations by surviving in the Championship.

I don't know exactly why Jones is moving on to the Owls (and don't really give two hoots :wink:) but the assertion he "isn't good enough" just reeks of someone dying to have a pop for the sake of it IMO.

Disc O'Dave
20-03-2011, 10:30 AM
The only thing that concerns me, is that given his role in John Collin's demise, he doesn't ruffle too many feathers in the dressing room.

Was his best form playing under Tawny Mowbray?

jdships
20-03-2011, 10:42 AM
It's just that your opinion is plainly wrong if you don't think Rob Jones was good at Hibs.

That's simply a matter of opinion :greengrin:wink::devil:

iwasthere1972
20-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Having seen him on the highlights last night, I don't think moving to Wednesday was a wise move.

You wit wasn't wasted.

steakbake
20-03-2011, 01:30 PM
He's on loan there. He's still Scunthorpe registered.

joebakerforever
20-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Jones looked at fault with both Southampton goals, the first he jumped with the strike for a header, striker won it easily, 2nd he was caught out of position.

Suspect Rob's career peaked at Hibs and is now on the slide.

His aerial prowess was his main asset and yesterday he was easily out-jumped by a smaller player.

Looks like his physical fitness is diminishing with age.

Kaiser1962
20-03-2011, 02:35 PM

Was it Jones he (Megson) was referring too when he made the remark about a player "not doing his job"? Not seen the highlights but heard his interview.

--------
20-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Suspect Rob's career peaked at Hibs and is now on the slide.

His aerial prowess was his main asset and yesterday he was easily out-jumped by a smaller player.

Looks like his physical fitness is diminishing with age.

Was it Jones he (Megson) was referring too when he made the remark about a player "not doing his job"? Not seen the highlights but heard his interview.

He was mightily impressive in those highlights, right enough. :rolleyes:

--------
20-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Rubbish:wink:

Fenwick - One good season with Sauzee playing beside him - as soon as Sauzee was finished Fenwick was a nightmare. Better than Jones - No chance.

Hughes - Centre half that was in a Hibs team that got relegated - need I say any more?

Hunter - A constant in the side that couldn't stop Robbo or beat Hearts for over FIVE years

Gary Smith a decent enough player but lets not forget he played in the defence that shipped 12 goals against Hearts in 3 games one season, getting sent off twice in the process. Again looked good beside Sauzee - who wouldnt? A better ball playing defender no doubt, but a better centre half - not for me.

Murray - cant comment as i missed the whole season he played at CH as i was away.

I think you are the one having the laugh with those suggestions old chap - but then as you say its all about opinions:wink: There is no denying Jones wasnt the greatest footballer in the world - but you paint a very bizaare picture of Jones clearly based on some kind of personal dislike for him.

I stand by my suggestion that he has very little competition for best centre half in 30 years, (I didn't actually say he was in case you need your spooctacles checked) and even if your suggested players were candidates, then there is STILL not much competition.

Fenwick was IIRC on appearance money, which meant he hardly played after Sauzee left. When he was playing regularly he was a solid, sound centre-back. His usual partner at CB was either Hughes or Smith, btw.

Just because Hughes played in a relegation side doesn't automatically make him a bad defender - he also played in the promotion side and in the first season after promotion. Remember the 6-2 game?

Smith was a much under-rated player who played on well into Blobby's time - a consummate professional who got on with the job he was asked to do and did it well. He was well into his 30's before he retired and slowing up. He still wasn't as unwieldy - or as naive - as Jones could be..

Gordon Hunter had his limitations (as do all players) but again - just because we failed to beat Hearts over that period doesn't make him a bad player - I wouldn't like to have had to watch Jones marking (or attempting to mark) Robbo. grodon was much, much better than you make out.

Murray's weakness was a lack of height - he and Caldwell were too easily beaten in the air. On the ground and in the tackle - and in positioning sense - however, I'd rate him well ahead of Jones. Jones was brought in, IIRC, to solve the problenm of cross balls. He did that, but his limitations caused other problems in turn.

I have nothing 'personal' against Jones - I simply did not rate him highly as a player. His limitations were very obvious; his abilities much less so.

Yes, my eyesight is very poor without glasses - one of the penalties of age. But with them, I can still see when a player isn't nearly as good as his fan-club would like to make out.

LaMotta
20-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Fenwick was IIRC on appearance money, which meant he hardly played after Sauzee left. When he was playing regularly he was a solid, sound centre-back. His usual partner at CB was either Hughes or Smith, btw.

Just because Hughes played in a relegation side doesn't automatically make him a bad defender - he also played in the promotion side and in the first season after promotion. Remember the 6-2 game?

Smith was a much under-rated player who played on well into Blobby's time - a consummate professional who got on with the job he was asked to do and did it well. He was well into his 30's before he retired and slowing up. He still wasn't as unwieldy - or as naive - as Jones could be..

Gordon Hunter had his limitations (as do all players) but again - just because we failed to beat Hearts over that period doesn't make him a bad player - I wouldn't like to have had to watch Jones marking (or attempting to mark) Robbo. grodon was much, much better than you make out.

Murray's weakness was a lack of height - he and Caldwell were too easily beaten in the air. On the ground and in the tackle - and in positioning sense - however, I'd rate him well ahead of Jones. Jones was brought in, IIRC, to solve the problenm of cross balls. He did that, but his limitations caused other problems in turn.

I have nothing 'personal' against Jones - I simply did not rate him highly as a player. His limitations were very obvious; his abilities much less so.

Yes, my eyesight is very poor without glasses - one of the penalties of age. But with them, I can still see when a player isn't nearly as good as his fan-club would like to make out.

Fenwick's usual partner was John Hughes? Amazing feat given that they were never at Hibs at the same time.:rolleyes:

Do I remember the 6-2 game? :faf::faf: Its pretty obvious you don't because John Hughes wisnae playing in it - an Ayr United star at the time.

Not just your eyesight that is poor (with or without glasses) - your memory aint too great either.

It's a shame when someone takes such great pleasure in knocking a player like Jones - if it aint personal it must be down to a lack of understanding of the game, all in my opinion:greengrin

scoopyboy
20-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Fenwick's usual partner was John Hughes? Amazing feat given that they were never at Hibs at the same time.:rolleyes:Do I remember the 6-2 game? :faf::faf: Its pretty obvious you don't because John Hughes wisnae playing in it - an Ayr United star at the time.

Not just your eyesight that is poor (with or without glasses) - your memory aint too great either.

It's a shame when someone takes such great pleasure in knocking a player like Jones - if it aint personal it must be down to a lack of understanding of the game, all in my opinion:greengrin

I wisnae 100% on that so I checked back to find in a Herald report that Paul Fenwick was signed from Morton to replace the freed John Hughes.

3pm
20-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I wisnae 100% on that so I checked back to find in a Herald report that Paul Fenwick was signed from Morton to replace the freed John Hughes.

Fenwick was signed as our 4th central defender behind Sauzee, Smith and....Martin McIntosh. It all went so fell that MM was sent to somewhere down south. Stockport?

Fenwick done well but couldn't maintain the standard in his 2nd year. One of the lads who took a pay cut to get an extra year's contract when the money dried up circa 2003.

Just Jimmy
20-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Martin McIntosh. It all went so fell that MM was sent to somewhere down south. Stockport?

rotherham i think. not massively important either way :greengrin

3pm
20-03-2011, 08:15 PM
rotherham i think. not massively important either way :greengrin

Maybe he came from Stockport? Rotherham certainly rings a bell!

HibbyAndy
20-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Maybe he came from Stockport? Rotherham certainly rings a bell!

He did come from Stockport. Made his debut in a 2-1 win against Celtc at ER and had a goal WRONGLY ruled off for pushing.

sambajustice
21-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Errrr, is Sauzee not the best centre half we've had in 30 years??

Hibstrooper
21-03-2011, 12:17 PM

:agree:

One of the most under-rated Hibs players of the last decade IMO.

--------
21-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Fenwick's usual partner was John Hughes? Amazing feat given that they were never at Hibs at the same time.:rolleyes:

Do I remember the 6-2 game? :faf::faf: Its pretty obvious you don't because John Hughes wisnae playing in it - an Ayr United star at the time.

Fenwick was signed as our 4th central defender behind Sauzee, Smith and....Martin McIntosh. It all went so fell that MM was sent to somewhere down south. Stockport?

Fenwick done well but couldn't maintain the standard in his 2nd year. One of the lads who took a pay cut to get an extra year's contract when the money dried up circa 2003.

You're right - I'm wrong. Red-face smilie. :rolleyes:

Abject apologies.

Dashing Bob S
21-03-2011, 01:24 PM
A wise enough central defender, but his disciplinary record is such that I can see him being hauled up before the beaks. Pity he isn't Scottish, has all the attributes to become an indispensable companion to Potter.

(((Fergus)))
21-03-2011, 06:33 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9430571.stm

Not at his best...in fact looked a bit of a twit

LaMotta
21-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Errrr, is Sauzee not the best centre half we've had in 30 years??

Errrr no cos he played as a sweeper or at centre mid:wink:

but he's defo the best player in 30 years:greengrin

Sammy7nil
21-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Errrr no cos he played as a sweeper or at centre mid:wink:

but he's defo the best player in 30 years:greengrin

Sauzee was great. The best in the last 30 years? I dont think so.
He was passed his best (still very very good) he was also only there a short period time.

moredun
21-03-2011, 07:43 PM
He was passed his best (still very very good) he was also only there a short period time.

IMO only Steve Archibald would come close

LaMotta
21-03-2011, 07:47 PM

does him only playing for about two years at hibs reduce his ability?

go on then name his superiors, i dare you:greengrin

Sammy7nil
21-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Latapy
Riordan
Jackie McNamara
Ally McLeod
Goram
Leighton
Keith Wright
Kevin McAllister
Mickey Weir

Not suggesting any had the ability Suazee had at 24 - 29 but all had as BIG an impact in the HIBS teams they played in as Sauzee did in the Hibs team he played in.

Sauzee had some VERY good players (perhaps 5 or 6) to play along side when he was with Hibs

moredun
21-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Latapy
Riordan
Jackie McNamara
Ally McLeod
Goram
Leighton
Keith Wright
Kevin McAllister
Mickey Weir

Not suggesting any had the ability Suazee had at 24 - 29 but all had as BIG an impact in the HIBS teams they played in as Sauzee did in the Hibs team he played in.

How many of them never lost against the yams.

Sauzee had some VERY good players (perhaps 5 or 6) to play along side when he was with Hibs

:hilarious

Your at the wind-up surely

Sauzees influence on the team obviously flew straight over your head then eh

LaMotta
21-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Latapy
Riordan
Jackie McNamara
Ally McLeod
Goram
Leighton
Keith Wright
Kevin McAllister
Mickey Weir

I thought John Collins might be amongst them. Goram and Latapy in particular are close contenders. Still think an old past his best Sauzee was the best though.:aok:

soupy
21-03-2011, 08:02 PM
As above.

Sammy7nil
21-03-2011, 08:05 PM
:hilarious

Your at the wind-up surely

Sauzees influence on the team obviously flew straight over your head then eh

you obviously never seen the players I mentioned :greengrin

Latapy, O'Neill, Luna, Zitelli, Larsson, Mixu etc helped build Sauzee's Legend not saying he does not deserve it he does but he certainly had a good team around him.

Collins was one I forgot he was a great player.

moredun
21-03-2011, 08:11 PM
you obviously never seen the players I mentioned :greengrin

Latapy, O'Neill, Luna, Zitelli, Larsson, Mixu etc helped build Sauzee's Legend not saying he does not deserve it he does but he certainly had a good team around him.

Collins was one I forgot he was a great player.

Yeah, going to easter road for 35 years, but never seen these players you speak of.

Not one brought the composure and sorted out the team like Sauzee did, just his presence on the park brought out the best from the rest.

I see what you are saying though, all good players in their own right, but as for what they brought to the team, come on, Sauzee was a massive influence on the team, no-one compares to what he brought imo

Sammy7nil
21-03-2011, 08:19 PM
I am most certainly NOT having a go at Sauzee he is Legend and deserves his status as such.

Latapy had a HUGE impact on that Hibs side he did not perform consistantly like Sauzee but I would argue black is white he had less of an impact than Sauzee.

Sauzee was defo passed his best still more than good enough for Hibs, you can't deny he was lacking pace only his "class" often got him out of trouble. Everything clicked for Frank at Hibs and he was a joy to watch, it was definately and Indian Summer.

moredun
21-03-2011, 08:21 PM
I am most certainly NOT having a go at Sauzee he is Legend and deserves his status as such.

Latapy had a HUGE impact on that Hibs side he did not perform consistantly like Sauzee but I would argue black is white he had less of an impact than Sauzee.

Sauzee was defo passed his best still more than good enough for Hibs, you can't deny he was lacking pace only his "class" often got him out of trouble. Everything clicked for Frank at Hibs and he was a joy to watch, it was definately and Indian Summer.

Says it all:not worth

new malkyhib
21-03-2011, 10:48 PM
His best moment for me in a Hibs strip was in the Millennium Derby at Tipcastle - not his goal, his 20-yard backheel across his own 18-yard line staight to Derek Collins.

Sheer class.

Merci, Franck.

Kaiser1962
22-03-2011, 07:14 AM
His best moment for me in a Hibs strip was in the Millennium Derby at Tipcastle - not his goal, his 20-yard backheel across his own 18-yard line staight to Derek Collins.

Sheer class.

Merci, Franck.

Or lobbing Barry Ferguson at ER and then, when ratboy turned to chase, puss filled with anger, Franck did it again. Quality.