PDA

View Full Version : Indie Music

CB_NO3
16-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Are we witnessing a slight Indie revival. The last two years have been dominated with Rihanna, Lady Gaga and Beyonce and so on. Around 2002 there was hundreds of Indie bands going about (not all great), but it was better than listening to pop stuff. Over the last few weeks The View, Beady Eye and The Strokes have all released new stuff and the Arctic Monkeys and Glasvegas have albums to come over the next few weeks/months. At least its something new to listen to. I am not saying all their albums will be great but its better than Rihanna and Gaga.

You never know Biff, if the scene kicks off again the 10:04s may get a deal.:thumbsup:

MountcastleHibs
16-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Are we witnessing a slight Indie revival. The last two years have been dominated with Rihanna, Lady Gaga and Beyonce and so on. Around 2002 there was hundreds of Indie bands going about (not all great), but it was better than listening to pop stuff. Over the last few weeks The View, Beady Eye and The Strokes have all released new stuff and the Arctic Monkeys and Glasvegas have albums to come over the next few weeks/months. At least its something new to listen to. I am not saying all their albums will be great but its better than Rihanna and Gaga.

You never know Biff, if the scene kicks off again the 10:04s may get a deal.:thumbsup:

And The Cribs are ending their hiatus early and getting back in the studio in September, and there's a possibility blur will be releasing new material, if not this, but next year. The Enemy are also putting the finishing touches to a third album, and Noel Gallagher might well be back on the scene. We may well be getting the year of the return of indie :thumbsup:

I only hope we are getting an Indie revival. Music nowadays is shocking. I can't believe people actually enjoy listening to the manufactured sounds around, and the rubbish that is generally floating about. :dunno:

Add bands coming through like The Vaccines and you just never know. But I think there's too many silly wee lassies, and idiots listening to crap at the back of buses, for real, proper music to get a revival. :boo hoo:

GhostofBolivar
17-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Of course there have never been any pointless, bland, derivative, frankly terrible guitar bands. The term 'landfill indie' mean anything?

Everything Oasis did after What's the Story, for example. Menswear would be another. Scouting for Girls. The Automatic. The Kooks. Echobelly. The Pigeon Detectives. The Hoosiers. Shed Seven. Ocean Colour Scene.

I could go on.

Personally, I'd far rather listen to Lady Gaga than any of the above. But then, I'm not snobbish enough to think that 'proper music' has to have guitars in it.

People have been listening to pop for the last three years because most every guitar band trumpeted as the next great thing by the NME in that time has - in reality - been s***.

There are great pop acts, fantastic guitar bands and countless terrible examples of each. Chill out and accept that Umbrella, Bad Romance and F*** You are amazing tunes and that genre doesn't matter. You might even be happier for it.

Calvin
17-03-2011, 06:28 AM
I feel it's not a point of being too snobbish to like pop music, it's a point of the whole top 40 being total rubbish. I just went on to look at the chart and there is genuinely not a single band I like represented there and I like plenty of the more mainstream indie bands too.

Acts like Lady Gaga I can see the merit to, even Rihanna - not to my tastes admittedly but at least I can understand why people listen to them. However the entire chart these days is the same genre full of guff like Kesha and Chipmunk, just dire acts.

Saying that, you can always find music you like out there, so it seems kind of irrelevant if there's an indie revival or not. So many of the small bands I go and see and wonder why they're not famous. Sure, I'd prefer a lot of them to get a bit more recognition so they can shift some albums and keep making music, but it's not vital.

It's not the return of indie this year, it's just the return of indie to the radio - and if you have an ipod or digital radio then the last two years haven't been a problem!

CallumLaidlaw
17-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Of course there have never been any pointless, bland, derivative, frankly terrible guitar bands. The term 'landfill indie' mean anything?

Everything Oasis did after What's the Story, for example. Menswear would be another. Scouting for Girls. The Automatic. The Kooks. Echobelly. The Pigeon Detectives. The Hoosiers. Shed Seven. Ocean Colour Scene.

I could go on.

Personally, I'd far rather listen to Lady Gaga than any of the above. But then, I'm not snobbish enough to think that 'proper music' has to have guitars in it.

People have been listening to pop for the last three years because most every guitar band trumpeted as the next great thing by the NME in that time has - in reality - been s***.

There are great pop acts, fantastic guitar bands and countless terrible examples of each. Chill out and accept that Umbrella, Bad Romance and F*** You are amazing tunes and that genre doesn't matter. You might even be happier for it.

Ocean Colour scene!? :confused:

There's a reason why they still sell out gigs after more than 20 years together.

I agree with you regarding being a music snob. If I like a song, I like it, and it doesnt matter what genre it covers, hence why I have Adele, Bruno mars, David Gray, Killers, Kings Of Leon, Lady GaGa, Maroon 5, Paolo Nutini,, Courteeners, Dykeenies, The Enemy, The Script on my iPod.

GhostofBolivar
17-03-2011, 07:04 AM
I feel it's not a point of being too snobbish to like pop music...

Yet the OP says:

...I am not saying all their albums will be great but its better than Rihanna and Gaga.

Which seems weird when Tegan and Sara, the Manics and Biffy Clyro have all covered Umbrella; Lissie, Weezer and the Klaxons have covered Gaga; and The Gaslight Anthem have covered Kelly Clarkson in the past.

And, on top of that, Gregg Gillis is fond of sampling all 3 pop acts on his Girl Talk mashup records.

...it's a point of the whole top 40 being total rubbish. I just went on to look at the chart and there is genuinely not a single band I like represented there and I like plenty of the more mainstream indie bands too.

Acts like Lady Gaga I can see the merit to, even Rihanna - not to my tastes admittedly but at least I can understand why people listen to them. However the entire chart these days is the same genre full of guff like Kesha and Chipmunk, just dire acts.

People have always said that though. I remember saying that when I was in school. Hell, people thought Like A Rolling Stone was bad at the time. The charts are a terrible reflection of the state of popular music and people are too stupid to buy anything that's actually good. Colour me shocked.

GhostofBolivar
17-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Ocean Colour scene!? :confused:

There's a reason why they still sell out gigs after more than 20 years together.

Personal opinion. I hated them when I was in school and see no reason to change my mind today.

And Bon Jovi still sell out concerts. Doesn't stop them being terrible either :greengrin

I agree with you regarding being a music snob. If I like a song, I like it, and it doesnt matter what genre it covers, hence why I have Adele, Bruno mars, David Gray, Killers, Kings Of Leon, Lady GaGa, Maroon 5, Paolo Nutini,, Courteeners, Dykeenies, The Enemy, The Script on my iPod.

Why thank you :greengrin

Hiber-nation
17-03-2011, 07:41 AM

Come on, how many folk have actually bothered listening to the Sheds? Its always been soooo trendy to slag them off but they stand out a mile in that admittedly poor company.

CallumLaidlaw
17-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Come on, how many folk have actually bothered listening to the Sheds? Its always been soooo trendy to slag them off but they stand out a mile in that admittedly poor company.

Saw them at T a couple of years ago, and thought they were really good :agree:

GhostofBolivar
17-03-2011, 07:45 AM

Admittedly, not for over a decade, but they were awful when I was a kid (aka, their heyday) and I cannot possibly imagine they've become anything better since. The nicest thing I can say about them is that at least they weren't as bad as The Seahorses.

H18sry
17-03-2011, 09:51 AM
http://www.haddowfest.com/allbands.html :thumbsup:

Calvin
17-03-2011, 09:59 AM
http://www.haddowfest.com/allbands.html :thumbsup:

Still raging that the Undertones are up against the derby!

H18sry
17-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Still raging that the Undertones are up against the derby!

:agree: :grr::grr:

Hiber-nation
17-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Admittedly, not for over a decade, but they were awful when I was a kid (aka, their heyday) and I cannot possibly imagine they've become anything better since. The nicest thing I can say about them is that at least they weren't as bad as The Seahorses.

The Sheds did get much much better live - in the beginning they were pretty dire.

The Seahorses - half an album of great songs, the rest complete pish! Actually being dragged along by the missus to see their singer Chris Helme next month.

easty
17-03-2011, 11:17 AM

I could go on.

Despite not being a huge fan of them, Ocean Colour Scene were far from bland and pointless, they don't deserve to be on your wee list at all. And are Scouting For Girls an Indie band? Surely not.

As for being snobbish about music.....are you saying that denying Lady Gaga is any good makes you a music snob? What a load of sh*t that is!

You say everything Oasis did after What's The Story...is pointless and bland...alright then mate, if you say so. Nothing like a sheep to baaa along with the masses. None of the albums following What's The Story...were as good but that doesn't make them bland and pointless. In 10 years will Barcelona be as good a team as they are now? Maybe but that'll be difficult and if they aren't will they be a bland and pointless team?

MountcastleHibs
17-03-2011, 11:17 AM

I could go on.

I'm not being a music snob. It's my opinion that most of the top 40 these days is total garbage. I actually have Cee Lo Green's album and like it, but I don't consider that to be the same manufactured mainstream pop that others are following - the likes of Cheryl Cole for instance. My music taste is quite diverse. I range from Oasis to Eminem and from Biffy Clyro, The View and the Cribs to Jay Z, Outkast and Lupe Fiasco on my iPod, so I'm not a music snob. My point was that the top 40 nowadays is total and utter garbage imo.

Proper music is music created by guitars, drum etc. Most of the music nowadays is created on a computer, or by someone pushing a few buttons. That's not music. It's just a collection of noises. You can't possibly call Westlife or Take That (a group I admit I like) a band, because they don't play any instruments.

As for your point on Oasis, yes, indie bands are only trying to follow their lead. But then the Beatles were trying to emulate their heroes the Beatles. That's what happens with music. And I used to think everything Oasis released after WTSMG was rubbish, but having listened to every Oasis album again over the last few weeks, I think every single one is good in it's own way. As for the 'indie' bands you list, the only one I disagree with is Ocean Colour Scene, but that's opinions eh.

I wouldn't put it down to those bands being rubbish either that folk have gone to pop music. It's just a change in times. And as much as I don't like it, it's what's happening.

Biff Tannen
17-03-2011, 11:28 AM

I hope so Bomber!!!just posted aboot Haddowfest so a we'll start off a wee indie revival in the Capital!!:thumbsup:

Green Mikey
17-03-2011, 11:30 AM
What does the term Indie mean these days? It certainly has got a different meaning than it used too (a shortening of the word independent) because not many of the supposed 'Indie' bands mentioned on this thread are on independent labels.

The majority of bands mentioned on this thread are just the guitar side of popular music not anythin reallt resembling 'Indie' of old. drownedinsound.com and pitchfork.com both cover smaller less mainstream bands and are an excellent place to start if you want to try something different.

Phil D. Rolls
17-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Personally I think we could be on the cusp of a Rhythm and Blues revival, as I heard somone playing an Elmore James song on Saturday night. It's long overdue anyway.

easty
17-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Personally I think we could be on the cusp of a Rhythm and Blues revival, as I heard somone playing an Elmore James song on Saturday night. It's long overdue anyway.

Was that someone you....?

MountcastleHibs
17-03-2011, 11:54 AM
What does the term Indie mean these days? It certainly has got a different meaning than it used too (a shortening of the word independent) because not many of the supposed 'Indie' bands mentioned on this thread are on independent labels.

The majority of bands mentioned on this thread are just the guitar side of popular music not anythin reallt resembling 'Indie' of old. drownedinsound.com and pitchfork.com both cover smaller less mainstream bands and are an excellent place to start if you want to try something different.

For me theses days indie is more the sound generated by the bands. It's the sound of British rock and roll. Just my opinion though.

CB_NO3
17-03-2011, 02:34 PM

I could go on.

I can accept that Umbarella and Bad Romance are ok tunes and quite catchy. Thats two tunes of about a 1000. I will even give Lady Gaga credit as she writes her own tunes. But as for the rest, its genarally crap. Thats not being a snob, thats me telling the truth. Most people that dominate the charts dont write their own material. If they were not good looking, they probably would do not be where they are today. The fact that the pop market is dominated by 10-16 year old girls and mothers is a reason why I am not going to argue about pop music. If you like that stuff am happy for you.

Here is a list of number 1's over the last year. Leona Lewis, Joe McEldarry, Alexander Burke, Matt Cardle and Dianna Vickers. All very talented singers and great musicicans. They have all wrote their album very well. Bit tounge and cheek there. You wonder why I hate pop. :wink:

I would rather listen to any Indie album rather than Matt Cardle. If the Indie album is rubbish, ill happily slate it, but ill give the band credit for at least writing their own material and playing a musical instrument which is the bread and butter of music IMO.

CB_NO3
17-03-2011, 02:39 PM

It used to be a term related with Independant labels as you say, but it gets catorgrised as a Genre these days.

Hibs90
17-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Sorry but who is anyone to say what proper music is? Just because it's made on a computer or whatever doesn't mean it ain't music. Get over it.

MountcastleHibs
17-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Sorry but who is anyone to say what proper music is? Just because it's made on a computer or whatever doesn't mean it ain't music. Get over it.

I'm over it. Seems like you've got the problem with my terming of proper music. Music is made with instruments. The music currently kicking about in the charts, in the most part, is not made with instruments and is developed by a computer.

Don't get me wrong. I don't restrict myself to four blokes with guitars and drum kit. As I said, my iPod is very diverse and I do appreciate other genres of music. But imo music is created by instruments. Not all music nowadays is, and the majority of it is rubbish. If it was good, I'd not be against it, but the music industry is being dragged down by the tripe.

CallumLaidlaw
17-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I can accept that Umbarella and Bad Romance are ok tunes and quite catchy. Thats two tunes of about a 1000. I will even give Lady Gaga credit as she writes her own tunes. But as for the rest, its genarally crap. Thats not being a snob, thats me telling the truth. Most people that dominate the charts dont write their own material. If they were not good looking, they probably would do not be where they are today. The fact that the pop market is dominated by 10-16 year old girls and mothers is a reason why I am not going to argue about pop music. If you like that stuff am happy for you.

Here is a list of number 1's over the last year. Leona Lewis, Joe McEldarry, Alexander Burke, Matt Cardle and Dianna Vickers. All very talented singers and great musicicans. They have all wrote their album very well. Bit tounge and cheek there. You wonder why I hate pop. :wink:

I would rather listen to any Indie album rather than Matt Cardle. If the Indie album is rubbish, ill happily slate it, but ill give the band credit for at least writing their own material and playing a musical instrument which is the bread and butter of music IMO.

That is far from a "list" of number ones from the last year. Thats a deliberately select few. Plenty decent number 1's in the past 12 months.
And as much as I ain't a huge fan, you can't deny Leona Lewis is a very good singer.
Matt cardle is probably a bad example to use too. Seeing as 1 - he hasn't even released an album yet. 2 - he does actually seem to have some talent as a musician. 3 - he is the first x factor winner to sign a 50/50 contract with Columbia as well as cowells label. This is to help him get looked after better to become a credible artist (I read too much digital spy)
As I've said previously, I'll like a song because I like it, not because it falls into any particular category.

GhostofBolivar
18-03-2011, 05:34 AM
As for being snobbish about music.....are you saying that denying Lady Gaga is any good makes you a music snob? What a load of sh*t that is!

No. I'm not saying that at all. We can and will argue about the merits of individual acts to our heart's content and I have no problem in some people not liking a band or singer.

What I am saying is that dismissing entire genres of music because they don't conform to your idea of what 'proper' music is snobbish.

You say everything Oasis did after What's The Story...is pointless and bland...alright then mate, if you say so. Nothing like a sheep to baaa along with the masses

I thought it when Be Here Now was released. I thought it on every subsequent release. I think it now. In my opinion, Oasis were a creative wasteland beholden to the good ideas of other people for three quarters of their recording career. If that's not bland and pointless, what is? And if holding that opinion for 13 years makes me a sheep, then so be it.

I'm not being a music snob. It's my opinion that most of the top 40 these days is total garbage...

...Proper music is music created by guitars, drum etc. Most of the music nowadays is created on a computer, or by someone pushing a few buttons. That's not music. It's just a collection of noises.

That is being kinda snobbish though. You're almost saying that entire forms of music have no merit because of the medium in which they were created. It's a bit like saying that The Simpsons has less merit than a Bugs Bunny cartoon, because The Simpsons is animated on a computer while Bugs was hand drawn. Which is absurd. Or that Clerks has more merit as a film than The Matrix because one was a low budget indie flick and the other was a big-budget summer blockbuster.

What matters is quality. Not genre, nor the tools that were used to create it.

I range from Oasis to Eminem and from Biffy Clyro, The View and the Cribs to Jay Z, Outkast and Lupe Fiasco on my iPod, so I'm not a music snob. My point was that the top 40 nowadays is total and utter garbage imo.

I get this, but that's pretty much what people have said for as long as I can remember. Look at the number of frankly terrible singles that made #1 20 years ago. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_singles_from_the_1990s_(UK)#1990) The only difference today is that there's a higher turnover in singles, with more #1s, so people notice it more.

Thank you.

Take this. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/nov/16/girl-talk-get-it) Created by a guy on a computer. He didn't write any of the music, nor did he write the lyrics. Yet indie championing website Pitchfork like it a lot. (http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14899-all-day/) And it's available as a free download from his own website. (http://www.illegal-art.net/allday/)

How much more indie do you want to get?

Calvin
18-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Take this. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/nov/16/girl-talk-get-it) Created by a guy on a computer. He didn't write any of the music, nor did he write the lyrics. Yet indie championing website Pitchfork like it a lot. (http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14899-all-day/) And it's available as a free download from his own website. (http://www.illegal-art.net/allday/)

I quite agree. Unicorn Kid and Slagsmalsklubben are two of my favourite acts, and bar perhaps a synth or two, there are no instruments in sight!

ArabHibee
18-03-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm over it. Seems like you've got the problem with my terming of proper music. Music is made with instruments. The music currently kicking about in the charts, in the most part, is not made with instruments and is developed by a computer.

Don't get me wrong. I don't restrict myself to four blokes with guitars and drum kit. As I said, my iPod is very diverse and I do appreciate other genres of music. But imo music is created by instruments. Not all music nowadays is, and the majority of it is rubbish. If it was good, I'd not be against it, but the music industry is being dragged down by the tripe.

You need to get some Techno into your life and on your ipod mate.:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
18-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Was that someone you....?

Yes. :boo hoo:

I just think all this stuff about people arguing over whether music is good or not is a bit daft. It's a bit like saying purple is a better colour than torquoise. If someone thinks music is good then it is.

Personally, I would rather have Indie bands dominating the charts than the sort of stuff we've had lately. I think it is better to have bands playing with passion rather than something that is perfectly mixed but sounds bland (to me).

That said, I wouldn't take anything away from the perfect pop song. I grew up in the 70s when musical apartheid was at its height. People who liked Pink Floyd thought it was a crime to listen to Gregory Isaacs, or Stevie Wonder.

Other than at a few crucial moments, like 1977, the producers control music. The clever ones look to see what way the wind is blowing and sign acts that will meet the style on the street. It's no accident that Matt Cardle, a bloke from the rock tradition, won the X Factor, rather than a Karaoke singer this year (IMO).

MountcastleHibs
18-03-2011, 09:16 AM
No. I'm not saying that at all. We can and will argue about the merits of individual acts to our heart's content and I have no problem in some people not liking a band or singer.

What I am saying is that dismissing entire genres of music because they don't conform to your idea of what 'proper' music is snobbish.

I thought it when Be Here Now was released. I thought it on every subsequent release. I think it now. In my opinion, Oasis were a creative wasteland beholden to the good ideas of other people for three quarters of their recording career. If that's not bland and pointless, what is? And if holding that opinion for 13 years makes me a sheep, then so be it.

That is being kinda snobbish though. You're almost saying that entire forms of music have no merit because of the medium in which they were created. It's a bit like saying that The Simpsons has less merit than a Bugs Bunny cartoon, because The Simpsons is animated on a computer while Bugs was hand drawn. Which is absurd. Or that Clerks has more merit as a film than The Matrix because one was a low budget indie flick and the other was a big-budget summer blockbuster.

What matters is quality. Not genre, nor the tools that were used to create it.

I get this, but that's pretty much what people have said for as long as I can remember. Look at the number of frankly terrible singles that made #1 20 years ago. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_singles_from_the_1990s_(UK)#1990) The only difference today is that there's a higher turnover in singles, with more #1s, so people notice it more.

Thank you.

Music is opinions. I might seem ignorant or snobbish but I like what I like and others like what they like. I'm not gonna slate someone for liking something I don't, at the end of the day its their opinion to like it.

Like I say, I find my musical taste diverse, whilst avoiding the majority of rubbish at the same time.

Marabou Stork
18-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Music is opinions. I might seem ignorant or snobbish but I like what I like and others like what they like. I'm not gonna slate someone for liking something I don't, at the end of the day its their opinion to like it.

Like I say, I find my musical taste diverse, whilst avoiding the majority of rubbish at the same time.

There's a difference between liking what you like and claiming that certain genres of music have no artistic merit whatsoever. As somebody who plays several instruments and has dabbled in creating music via a computer, it takes a not insignificant amount of skill to produce anything even approaching music on a computer,

Also, there's barely been an indie band mentioned in this thread. I think you were actually celebrating the return of dull as ditchwater rock-by-numbers.

CB_NO3
18-03-2011, 03:37 PM
People are getting a bit excited over nothing here. I think everyone knows that people have their own right to listen to what they want. Thats not really the debate.

The fact is we live in a world of music that is dominated by 10-16 year old girls and mothers that dont leave the house on a Saturday night. Singers like Leona Lewis, Rihanna, Alexander Burke have very very minimum skill. They all have great bodies, good voices and thats a massive part of being where they are today. I know they can sing but am sure there is thousands of girls with just as good or better voices all over the world yet to be found. They dont even write their own lyrics or play their own music. They are talented karaoke stars IMO and the fact that guys on a football forum are trying to support that is pretty sad. X Factor basically rule the British music industry these days. If Simon Cowell put rock bands on, on a Saturday night then people would love it. Most people dont think for themselves and are just willing to listen to anything thats put in front of them.

Its also pretty sad to see this mainstream karaoke coming into British rock 'n roll festivals. Beyonce at Glastonbury :grr:

Anyway this debate will go on forever, but IMO artists that play their own music and write their own lyrics deserve alot more credit than a tidy bird with a hot ass.

CB_NO3
18-03-2011, 03:39 PM
There's a difference between liking what you like and claiming that certain genres of music have no artistic merit whatsoever. As somebody who plays several instruments and has dabbled in creating music via a computer, it takes a not insignificant amount of skill to produce anything even approaching music on a computer,

Also, there's barely been an indie band mentioned in this thread. I think you were actually celebrating the return of dull as ditchwater rock-by-numbers.

I think you will find there has been mention of Indie bands in this thread. In fact this thread is about indie bands. If you look at the OP that I created you will see that. :wink:

MountcastleHibs
18-03-2011, 03:43 PM
People are getting a bit excited over nothing here. I think everyone knows that people have their own right to listen to what they want. Thats not really the debate.

The fact is we live in a world of music that is dominated by 10-16 year old girls and mothers that dont leave the house on a Saturday night. Singers like Leona Lewis, Rihanna, Alexander Burke have very very minimum skill. They all have great bodies, good voices and thats a massive part of being where they are today. I know they can sing but am sure there is thousands of girls with just as good or better voices all over the world yet to be found. They dont even write their own lyrics or play their own music. They are talented karaoke stars IMO and the fact that guys on a football forum are trying to support that is pretty sad. X Factor basically rule the British music industry these days. If Simon Cowell put rock bands on, on a Saturday night then people would love it. Most people dont think for themselves and are just willing to listen to anything thats put in front of them.

Its also pretty sad to see this mainstream karaoke coming into British rock 'n roll festivals. Beyonce at Glastonbury :grr:

Anyway this debate will go on forever, but IMO artists that play their own music and write their own lyrics deserve alot more credit than a tidy bird with a hot ass.

That's pretty much summed up everything I've been meaning, but couldn't find the words to.

I've been accused of writing off complete genres, that is not what I've done at all. All I'm saying is most music now going around is, imo, rubbish. That is not writing off complete genres, because some pop, such as Take That and Cee Lo Green, I actually do like, as I have said in this thread. In future, I won't generalise and I'll be more specific.

CB_NO3
18-03-2011, 03:56 PM
That's pretty much summed up everything I've been meaning, but couldn't find the words to.

I've been accused of writing off complete genres, that is not what I've done at all. All I'm saying is most music now going around is, imo, rubbish. That is not writing off complete genres, because some pop, such as Take That and Cee Lo Green, I actually do like, as I have said in my thread. In future, I won't generalise and I'll be more specific.

Dont worry about it mate, there will always be someone trying to shoot you down on Hibs.Net.

Barney McGrew
18-03-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm over it. Seems like you've got the problem with my terming of proper music. Music is made with instruments. The music currently kicking about in the charts, in the most part, is not made with instruments and is developed by a computer

Most of the 'indie' albums that come out owe a hell of a lot to their production using computers to make them sound the way that they do.

easty
18-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Most of the 'indie' albums that come out owe a hell of a lot to their production using computers to make them sound the way that they do.

Too much production on albums does my head in. Kings of Leons last 2 albums are well over produced. I'd love them to strip it back to how it was on Youth And Young Mahood, that was brilliant. I don't want perfect vocals and melodic guitars...gies a bit of rough round the edges indie rock n roll!

Marabou Stork
18-03-2011, 08:33 PM
I think you will find there has been mention of Indie bands in this thread. In fact this thread is about indie bands. If you look at the OP that I created you will see that. :wink:

Nope. You mentioned: The View, The Strokes, Beady Eye, Arctic Monkeys and Glasvegas. Not a single one of which are signed to an independent label. Try again. :wink:.

CB_NO3
20-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Nope. You mentioned: The View, The Strokes, Beady Eye, Arctic Monkeys and Glasvegas. Not a single one of which are signed to an independent label. Try again. :wink:.

See post 23. Am no repeating myself :na na:

LaMotta
22-03-2011, 10:37 PM

:agree:Shed Seven had some great songs - bring back some great memories from the mid 90's:greengrin

steve75
22-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Proper music is music created by guitars, drum etc. Most of the music nowadays is created on a computer, or by someone pushing a few buttons. That's not music. It's just a collection of noises. You can't possibly call Westlife or Take That (a group I admit I like) a band, because they don't play any instruments.

This does my nut in. A synth, drum machine, sampler or whatever is just as much an instrument as a guitar or drums.

I've played guitar for about 9 years, bass about 5 and played drums for a couple years a few years ago. I also own a sythn and a drum pad. Admittedly the electronic stuff is a lot quicker to pick up initially, and relatively decent sound can be made literally in minutes. But once you really know what you're doing with each instrument, each type of music takes just as much effort to produce.

EDIT: totally agree about the likes of westlife et al. Though I did see Take That live, was working, and they played a few instruments throughout the show.

pacorosssco
05-04-2011, 09:54 AM
:agree:Shed Seven had some great songs - bring back some great memories from the mid 90's:greengrin

Agreed very underrated band