PDA

View Full Version : Biggest under-achiever in a Hibs strip?

3pm
13-03-2011, 08:17 AM
The Australian cup final is on so I googled Grant Brebner to see who he is playing for now. He always springs to mind as being a massive under achiever in a Hibs top! Really good player who should have done better.

Who else falls into that category? Paul Hartley?

I am not talking about duds like O'Brien who showed nothing at all, I mean people who you know were actually capable of turning in a performance.

hibsbollah
13-03-2011, 08:25 AM
The Australian cup final is on so I googled Grant Brebner to see who he is playing for now. He always springs to mind as being a massive under achiever in a Hibs top! Really good player who should have done better.

I am not talking about duds like O'Brien who showed nothing at all, I mean people who you know were actually capable of turning in a performance.

Ray Wilkins. Didnt seem to give a damn while he was here.

Andy74
13-03-2011, 08:28 AM

Disagree with o'brien. Good reputation, showed in or season and early games what he could do. Could have been a different player if things had gone for him.

Gala Foxes
13-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Looking at the now slim Stephen Dobbie playing for Swansea would suggest either we signed him too early or our training regime wasn't tough enough for Doughboy

Big90inOz
13-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Disagree with o'brien. Good reputation, showed in or season and early games what he could do. Could have been a different player if things had gone for him.

I really hope you are kidding..........

James Connolly

Mr Hill & Mr Ladbrokes were behind Brebner's downfall!

Duffys13
Controversial one and I will no doubt get slated - but Derek Riordan. I know he has a very good record, but I think he could have done/be so much more with the correct attitude and lifestyle.

lapsedhibee
13-03-2011, 08:44 AM
What about Paul Wright? I remember Lexo Miller saying when he left that although he'd worked hard, been a good pro, etc, things hadn't really worked for him at ER. Shame, as that goal he scored in the LC final was a goodie.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-03-2011, 08:49 AM
What about Paul Wright? I remember Lexo Miller saying when he left that although he'd worked hard, been a good pro, etc, things hadn't really worked for him at ER. Shame, as that goal he scored in the LC final was a goodie.

Was a real threat in his derby debut then Berry nobbled him history will not note this Only the run continuing THUGS always have been always will be

hibee92
13-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Controversial one and I will no doubt get slated - but Derek Riordan. I know he has a very good record, but I think he could have done/be so much more with the correct attitude and lifestyle.

have to agree :agree: i'm one of the riordan brigade that hates when people think he isn't good enough for the club, but i'm sure most people can agree, given the right circumstances, he could have been so much better. but that would probably mean he wouldn't have came back so i'm okay with it :greengrin

Dirkster23
13-03-2011, 08:55 AM

Seriously? How many good games did he have for Hibs? He never showed anything that suggested things could have gone differently for him at Hibs.

Dobbie sticks out for me too.

3pm
13-03-2011, 09:06 AM

I think you and I were in a ridiculously small minority (of 2) that thought he'd come good. Bar one game against Falkirk, he was crap.

Brebner had good games and you could see he had more up his sleeve. As JC says above, the bookies probably contributed to his downfall...but he never fulfilled his potential.

scott7_0(Prague)
13-03-2011, 09:07 AM
De la Cruz - came with his price tag and hardly set the heather on fire apart from the one cross that went in against Hearts after 32seconds.

Billy Whizz
13-03-2011, 09:08 AM
To class Riordan and O'brien on this thread is just ridiculous!

sixtwo
13-03-2011, 09:09 AM
I expected more from Liam Miller

Duffys13
13-03-2011, 09:12 AM

I don't think they are being branded in the same manner mate.

cyber8
13-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Billy Finlay : Mark McGraw, Chris Reid :agree:

Duffys13
13-03-2011, 09:13 AM
I expected more from Liam Miller

Agree, although I am hoping to see more from him wth this new midfield.

Beefster
13-03-2011, 09:22 AM

I think the point is that they both should have done better, considering their respective talent, in a Hibs shirt (Riordan more in the current spell). i don't think anyone is saying that they are comparable players.

As for the OP, I thought that Johansson was a huge disappointment.

Singapore Hibs
13-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Joe Harper

The words "biggest" and "disappointment" are both apt.

Allant1981
Dean sheils should have done a bit more i think, he obviously had talent but just didnt show it every time he started

Reaper
Freddie Arpinon. Thot he was class on his day but too many injuries and below par performances (maybe related to the Injuries) were a problem.

+

Guillame Beuzelin. Know four or five of the Youth/Reserve team players + Garry O, who were at the club when he first arrived. All say the same thing that in training and closed door matches his skill and influence on the game were unbelievable, coming only behind Sauzee for how good they'd seen at Hibs but for some reason he could never carry it into a game. Popular train of thought from these guys and others was that he could/should have been better than wee Russell.

Thecat23
13-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Although past his best at the time, he should have been able to run rings round any player in the league, the man i'm talking about is..... Mr George Best.

s.a.m
13-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Mark McGraw and Chic Charnley (did OK for us, but could have been an awesome player, if his heid had been screwed on the right way.)

Mark79
13-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Liam Miller.

greenlex
13-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Robin Rae

matty_f
13-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Edwin de graaf.

Kato
13-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Mike Conroy. A good player with great potential at Celtc. Stanton pinned a lot of hope on him and he never kicked a ball for us, never seen a player so disinterested.

HibeeDave
13-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Are you getting Paul mixed up with Keith?

O'Rourke3
13-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Was a real threat in his derby debut then Berry nobbled him history will not note this Only the run continuing THUGS always have been always will be

:hijack: I still get mad thinking about that tackle - Berry wasn't even booked and we lost Wright for months after that

lapsedhibee
13-03-2011, 10:39 AM
:hijack: I still get mad thinking about that tackle - Berry wasn't even booked and we lost Wright for months after that

Sure that tackle led him to give up playing earlier than he otherwise would. Coaching for the SFA now. :agree:

Forza Fred
13-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Mike Conroy. A good player with great potential at Celtc. Stanton pinned a lot of hope on him and he never kicked a ball for us, never seen a player so disinterested.

Before Konte came along,Ii used ot say this was the worst player I had seen in a Hibs strip.

Kevvy1875
13-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Jonatan Johansson

Finnish International still scoring goals in big games for them when with us. Scored goals every club he had been at but was a big disappointment with us.

Edwin de Graff

Over hyped. Had a good pedigree it seemed on the surface when he arrived at Hibs. Never happened for him.

Two that stick out from recent times.

Greentinted
13-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Barry Lavety - heralded in with rave reviews!!!
Billy Kirkwood - Arrived on the back of two LC wins and a championship medal
Andy Walker - big rep, only turned up for a jolly

BigKev
13-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Mark Caughey, JJ, De Graaf.

WindyMiller
13-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Peter Marinello; "The next George Best".

:rolleyes:

Bishop Hibee
13-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Given the hype on his arrival compared to how bad he was then Alan O'Brien wins hands down. Straight in my worst ever Hibs XI.

If it's a player who did achieve something with Hibs but could have done more then it would be Benji for me. Incredible talent when he was in the mood e.g. the 2007 League Cup Final. His attitude sadly was all wrong.

aberhibsfc
13-03-2011, 01:25 PM

Must be, can't remember Mars Bar ever playing in a cup final for us.

Details getting mixed here, Keith Keith Keith did score for us in a final, was signed by but here long after Lexo had gone. Keith was one of the hardest working players I've seen at ER. The amount of games he worked himself into the ground to undo Hearts hold over us, then the duck was broken by Hunter.

Paul Wright did look the business, playing up top with Erchie, unfortunately this was short lived as the Heart tactic of leg breaking was employed by Albino Berry. He never looked so good after that. Went onto Kilmarnock and seemed to develop a bit of desire and apptitude for his game there. Scored a few for them.

I'm no sure about this under achiever piece. We seem to look for ways to belittle the men who were fortunate enough to wear our green and white. Whilst one or two have pointed out Conroy and Fat Harper as disappointments, many will have been plying their best and for whatever reason it didnt happen. Whilst there's a variety of ability listed in the players mentioned. As much as I see ER as a football mecca our status in football and funds available will mean we will have players on the way up, ones that wont get much better or those on the way down. In present times we may have the likes of Miller who has class in some areas and wanting in others, but that's why they haven't been snapped up by bigger teams.

Let's just cut a bit of slack to the past and presents and bin the recent victim search and concentrate on some of the positives just now or in the past.

sleeping giant
13-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Billy Finlay : Mark McGraw, Chris Reid :agree:

McGraw for me. I was really excited when he joined us and wasn't too fussed that we didn't get Ronnie Rosethal at the same time.
I thought McGraw was going to be excellent.

Sir David Gray
13-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Liam Miller-For being a former Manchester Utd player and having played in the Champions League for them and Celtic, I expected so much more from him when he signed. He has had several excellent performances in a Hibs shirt (I remember one game at Fir Park last season when he was unplayable) but on the whole, he has been a huge disappointment.

Alan O'Brien-Newcastle wanted to keep him, Hibs apparently paid a fee to get him and he had played a few games for Ireland prior to signing for Hibs. Everything was pointing towards him being a star in the SPL. How wrong could you be? He has to be one of the worst, if not the worst, players that we have actually paid money for. Now struggling to get a game for a team that is battling against relegation to the English fourth tier.

Edwin de Graaf-Our headline signing of 2010 and the way that John Hughes spoke about him gave all of us some hope that he would have a big impact on our season. He was experienced and had been the captain of his previous Dutch team. However apart from two goals in our doomed Europa League campaign against Maribor, he showed next to nothing in a Hibs shirt and one of Colin Calderwood's first actions in the January transfer window was to pack him off back to Holland on loan.

Keith_M
13-03-2011, 01:49 PM

I think this is one of the ongoing "in-jokes", like Murray on for Millar, etc.

Apparently, Hibs played Aston Villa yesterday as well :rolleyes:

IWasThere2016
13-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Aye O'Brien achieved so much :faf:

Jarkko Wiss for me. I expected more from an international CM bought be Sauzee for a decent fee! He was mince IMO, and would figure a worst ever XI alongside O'Brien.

coco22
13-03-2011, 08:42 PM
De la Cruz - came with his price tag and hardly set the heather on fire apart from the one cross that went in against Hearts after 32seconds.

totally agree, club record signing? massive letdown

eastmainsmsh
13-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Robin Rae

Robin Was a cracking goalkeeper remember he played for my local team Ormi Primrose as a striker and he was quality

snooky
13-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Benji.
Yet another player who came with good press. Alas, his attitude let him down.

erin go bragh
13-03-2011, 09:27 PM
did we not sell de la cruz and make a profit? pretty sure he played in the premiership for 5 seasons after leaving us :confused: opinions eh :greengrin
ggtth ps the tank came with a big reputation and was murder[edwardo hurtardo]

HibbyAndy
13-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Brian Grant

iwasthere1972
13-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Biggest under-achiever in a Hibs strip?

Me. :agree:

3pm
13-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Biggest under-achiever in a Hibs strip?

Me. :agree:

Only when it comes to your efforts getting a ticket for Green Day! :o)

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Sure that tackle led him to give up playing earlier than he otherwise would. Coaching for the SFA now. :agree:

Don't think that's quite right, he went to Killie after leaving and stuck it right up us many times including scoring twice in a 2-0 win in the cup at ER, agree Berry was a useless dirty bassa at the best of times..

iwasthere1972
13-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Only when it comes to your efforts getting a ticket for Green Day! :o)

I know. I only managed to get two. :greengrin

Shrekko
13-03-2011, 10:13 PM
I think this is one of the ongoing "in-jokes", like Murray on for Millar, etc.

Apparently, Hibs played Aston Villa yesterday as well :rolleyes:

Don't forget Showumni- that one never gets boring either :rolleyes:

Haggis Hibby
13-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Dobie & Clayton Donaldson for me both have went on to prove they were better players than what they showed at ER

hartley would be another one

Hibercelona
13-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Dirty Dirk
Pat McGinley
Darren Jackson
Kenny Miller
Alan Orman

HibbyAndy
13-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Dirty Dirk
Pat McGinley
Darren Jackson
Kenny Miller
Alan Orman

You having a laugh??

Jonnyboy
13-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Dirty Dirk
Pat McGinley
Darren Jackson
Kenny Miller
Alan Orman

Wrong thread? :wink:

Removed
13-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Wrong thread? :wink:

:agree: :confused:

Jonnyboy
13-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Dirk Lehmann 59 league appearances - 16 goals

Pat McGinlay 322 league appearances - 60 goals

Darren Jackson 172 league appearances - 50 goals

Kenny Miller 45 league appearances 13 goals

Alen Orman 73 league appearances - 2 goals (including a pearler at Ibrox)

Clearly the worst kind of underachieving :wink::greengrin

Leishy1995
14-03-2011, 01:06 AM
I remember me, my dad and my sister watchin the conference play-off final and Clayton was dire, 24 goals and he won a pen in the final because he ran into someone. His Hibs record, was actually not that bad with 18 games not all starts and 6 goals.

For me, the biggest disappointment was Nish. He may be dire now but his record speaks for itself and in all honesty, he was brilliant at times for Killie including missing a header before jones rose high enough to head hibs into a lead at hampden. I met Nish the same time he joined, even got a picture with my school team and he's behind me in it. me 5 ft 3 him, tall unless he jumps. He claimed he wasn't going to join us by the way.

Some of that was pointless but Nish for me

scott7_0(Prague)
14-03-2011, 06:53 AM
did we not sell de la cruz and make a profit? pretty sure he played in the premiership for 5 seasons after leaving us :confused: opinions eh :greengrin
ggtth ps the tank came with a big reputation and was murder[edwardo hurtardo]

You are missing the point..... I expected a hell of a lot more than what we got from the lad, a seasoned international who floated in and out of games, it was a very frustrating 750,000 spent!!!!

marinello59
14-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Peter Marinello; "The next George Best".

:rolleyes:

He didn't underachieve in a Hibs strip did he? The fact that he didn't live up to the media hype after he left ER doesn't mark him down as a failure in my book either.

Makaveli
14-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Hurtado.

He was bad enough for Hibs to still be a figure of ridicule 10 years on but his record in the Americas was very good and he started scoring again when he went back. 26 in 74 for Ecuador is exceptional given most of their games are against good South American sides.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-03-2011, 09:39 AM

Seriously?!!!

What about Kevin McAllister? Spent more of his time standing off the pitch trying to avoid the ball than anything else.

Greentinted
14-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Funny how people see things differently. But then I suppose a phrase like 'under-achiever' is loaded and subjective.

A name that springs to mind is Mark McGraw but realistically his was a case of unfulfilled potential rather than playing below his level of ability.

WindyMiller
14-03-2011, 11:12 AM
He didn't underachieve in a Hibs strip did he? The fact that he didn't live up to the media hype after he left ER doesn't mark him down as a failure in my book either.

I admit I didn't read the the OP properly, but Peter wasted a brilliant opportunity to become a true great, IMO, by allowing himself to be swayed by the high-life and perhaps taking bad advice.
I watched him at many a game at ER and was heart-broken when he left ( the first of many), and I was disappointed when his career at Arsenal drifted away. It was all down-hill after that.

iwasthere1972
14-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Totally agree. For someone to have underachieved at Hibs and yet commanded a £100K transfer fee from Arsenal 40 years ago takes some doing.

archiebald
14-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Graeme Fyfe-John Hamilton

Dinkydoo
14-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Players that did well at Hibs but felt they had so much more to offer:

De la Cruz
Benji
Alen Orman
Brenber
Zemmama
Miller

Players that haven't done much at all but came with a good record at other clubs or had a decent reputation:

Nish
De Graff
AOB
JJ

J-C
14-03-2011, 03:54 PM
So many to choose from but here goes
Kevin Harper
Benji
Makalamby
Paul Hartley
De Graaf
Grant Brebner
Jonas Johanson

Neil4Hibs
14-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Alan Gow - I thought he was going to be a brilliant signing. Maybe he wasn't because of injuries though.

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2011, 04:53 PM

:agree: People are conveniently forgetting that time he chased back against Gretna, and stopped the winger for getting a cross in? Saved our season that did Andy, and makes up for his inept performances, none more so than that game at tynecastle where he showed the world on tv just how he had the heart the size of a small pea. :grr:

bawheid
14-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Cannot believe Benji's name appearing in several posts on this thread!

2 goals in a national cup final, which we won.

Under-achiever??

Wellbankhibby
14-03-2011, 05:37 PM

Des brebner was a magnificent player who I regarded very highly You dont move to Aston Villa from any scottish team if you are an under acheiver. Des brebner was a GREAT player for HIBS.:confused:

Sherlock Jones
14-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Des brebner was a magnificent player who I regarded very highly You dont move to Aston Villa from any scottish team if you are an under acheiver. Des brebner was a GREAT player for HIBS.:confused:

He's talking about Grant Brebner, you're talking about Des Bremner :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Dirty Dirk
Pat McGinley
Darren Jackson
Kenny Miller
Alan Orman

Are you having a laugh jacko carried our team through his goals and penalties without which we'd have been relegated

IWasThere2016
14-03-2011, 05:49 PM
:agree: People are conveniently forgetting that time he chased back against Gretna, and stopped the winger for getting a cross in? Saved our season that did Andy, and makes up for his inept performances, none more so than that game at tynecastle where he showed the world on tv just how he had the heart the size of a small pea. :grr:

:tee hee:

Leishy1995
14-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Another would be Kevin Thompson, a contreversial one in the green and white.

more time injured than playing for us

3pm
14-03-2011, 09:09 PM
He's talking about Grant Brebner, you're talking about Des Bremner :greengrin

And he has the cheek to put a confused smiley on the end of it!! Ha Ha!!

3pm
14-03-2011, 09:12 PM

There's always one. It was against Falkirk. Surely Hughes should never have got the Hibs job based on that alone!!

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2011, 09:54 PM
There's always one. It was against Falkirk. Surely Hughes should never have got the Hibs job based on that alone!!

Gretna. Aye and Hughes was to blame for this tsunami too.

3pm
14-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Gretna. Aye and Hughes was to blame for this tsunami too.

2010 was Hughes' year of destruction.

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2011, 10:22 PM
2010 was Hughes' year of destruction.

Superb. :thumbsup:

E.T. is a Hibee
14-03-2011, 11:05 PM

How about them all in the last ten five yrs!

Iain G
15-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Morten Hyldgaard big rep as the next schmeichel and never got a chance. In the same bracket would add Kevin Nicol.

Franck is God
15-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I can't think of too many cash signings that we have made where we haven't had some value from them and at least got our money back when they left.

I am generally more disappointed when a player with potential has a sniff of the first team then disappears without trace or perhaps lifestyle choices put a halt on their improvement.

I always thought that Tam McManus had more natural ability than Kenny Miller yet workrate, fitness and a better attitude has served Kenny a lot better.

I saw Mark McGraw mentioned earlier on the thread, sadly I don't think he recovered fully from David Moyes breaking his leg three weeks before the 91 LC final, he was really beginning to look the part.

CapitalHibs
15-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Cannot believe Benji's name appearing in several posts on this thread!

2 goals in a national cup final, which we won.

Under-achiever??

:agree:

Would have been a hat-trick if that heider hadnae hit the post.

sahib
15-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Pat Stanton.

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Biggest underachievers in a Hibs strip have been the fans. They have mumped and moaned constantly through the years on the terraces and laterly in the stands.

Thank god that seems to be changing now. :devil::timebomb::tin hat::offski:

Cocaine&Caviar
16-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Has to be Benjelloun in my life time. Had a great range of tools, touch, finishing and vision, as well as being a big lad. However, the work rate or drive to sucseed was never there to follow up the talent.

Dashing Bob S
16-03-2011, 05:35 PM
The obese, pie eating, continually drunk guy who sits two in front of me, sporting a tent-like replica strip, must be a serious contender.

Andy74
16-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Has to be Benjelloun in my life time. Had a great range of tools, touch, finishing and vision, as well as being a big lad. However, the work rate or drive to sucseed was never there to follow up the talent.

I reckon this sort of thing is lazier than he ever was. I never saw a lack of workrate or desire from Benji on the park and was always one of the more passionate guys in the team.

So he followed Hibs advice and tried to find himself a new club one summer? He always said he wanted to stay here and was only doing what the club had allowed him to do.

That, and maybe the fact he was rested by JC against his wishes at Ramadan seems to have won him a reputation for being lazy or having an attitude.

Andy74
16-03-2011, 06:16 PM
You are missing the point..... I expected a hell of a lot more than what we got from the lad, a seasoned international who floated in and out of games, it was a very frustrating 750,000 spent!!!!

We didn't spend anywhere near that on De La Cruz. Not sure why that was ever accepted as fact!

Met him and his agent when they were over to sign and ended up doing some work for the agent some time later so aware of the real figures!

eastmainsmsh
16-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Tam Mcmanus once he got the new contract he didnt realise his true potential reckon he couldve went to a higher level cracking prospect

H113EE5
16-03-2011, 08:47 PM

Fantastic talent, pity he has a sScotland footballer's mentality.