PDA

View Full Version : I Like The Split!

brog
11-03-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm probably part of a very small minority but I think the SPL needs the split. I would prefer it to be in a 14 team league with 6 games post split, getting rid of H/A imbalance but to me it does at least add some excitement. Without it this season would be dead. We have the usual OF title race, sadly Yams will finish 3rd & it's a toss up for 4th between Arabs & Killie. Hamilton will almost certainly be relegated, St M now being only other realistic candidate.
That really means that without the split, 2/3 of the teams in the League have virtually nothing to play for & we're only in early March. At least with the split there are 5 teams in with a chance of the last top 6 place. I'm strongly opposed to a 10 team league & don't forget, even with our recent great run we'd only be 1 point away from relegation in a 10 team league this season!

R'Albin
11-03-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm probably part of a very small minority but I think the SPL needs the split. I would prefer it to be in a 14 team league with 6 games post split, getting rid of H/A imbalance but to me it does at least add some excitement. Without it this season would be dead. We have the usual OF title race, sadly Yams will finish 3rd & it's a toss up for 4th between Arabs & Killie. Hamilton will almost certainly be relegated, St M now being only other realistic candidate.
That really means that without the split, 2/3 of the teams in the League have virtually nothing to play for & we're only in early March. At least with the split there are 5 teams in with a chance of the last top 6 place. I'm strongly opposed to a 10 team league & don't forget, even with our recent great run we'd only be 1 point away from relegation in a 10 team league this season!

Tbh Im not a great fan, we basically have 5 meaningless games if we don't make the split and I do think it's stupid how a team can finish with more points than a team ahead of them. Suppose up until 33 games it gives us something to play for.

hibeenicol
11-03-2011, 07:50 PM

With 9 games left i'd reckon we had a chance of grabbing a european spot but the split will take that away from us.:furious:

Kaff
11-03-2011, 08:20 PM

i agree for the same reasons and the 14 team scenario

BroxburnHibee
11-03-2011, 08:34 PM
I absolutely detest, despise, abhor and hate everything about the split.

I hope that's clear enough :greengrin

Jonnyboy
11-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Tin hat on but I'll be happy if we don't make the top six this season.

Explanation ----- we're fragile just now and only slowly getting our act together on the park. Our top six record is rank rotten as we've never won more than one game. If we do that again this year it will simply deflate the players and the fans going into the close season. At least if we're bottom six we've a fighting chance of winning a few games which will bring confidence to all as we head into the close season.

I'll away and hide now :greengrin

Removed
11-03-2011, 08:45 PM

:agree:

But I agree with JC about this season. If as most likely we end up in the bottom 6 then we should be aiming to win as many as we can and stay unbeaten post split.

jdships
11-03-2011, 08:54 PM

Would agree with that :agree:
What dies the teams finishing 5/6 ro play for in top six ?
What does rhe teams finishing 7/8 in bottom six have to play for ?

Why all this tinkering with the format of the game ?
16 team league , plus League cup , Scottish Cup .
Simple and tidy - but that's only my opinion :greengrin

:rolleyes:

HibbyRod
11-03-2011, 09:02 PM

Explanation ----- we're fragile just now and only slowly getting our act together on the park. Our top six record is rank rotten as we've never won more than one game. If we do that again this year it will simply deflate the players and the fans going into the close season. At least if we're bottom six we've a fighting chance of winning a few games which will bring confidence to all as we head into the close season.

I totally agree Jonnyboy. ....

....However, I also believe that "if we were to qualify for the top six. ... and I think, therefore, that we would punch above our weight" perhaps we would do even better! :greengrin ........ the eternal Hibee optimist!

Jonnyboy
11-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I totally agree Jonnyboy. ....

....However, I also believe that "if we were to qualify for the top six. ... and I think, therefore, that we would punch above our weight" perhaps we would do even better! :greengrin ........ the eternal Hibee optimist!

Me too :greengrin

Jonnyboy
11-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Would agree with that :agree:
What dies the teams finishing 5/6 ro play for in top six ?
What does rhe teams finishing 7/8 in bottom six have to play for ?

Why all this tinkering with the format of the game ?
16 team league , plus League cup , Scottish Cup .
Simple and tidy - but that's only my opinion :greengrin

:rolleyes:

I agree :agree:

Ten team league is a joke IMO - at least 7/10ths of the teams will set out not to lose games rather than try and win them as the fear of relegation will cause that very thing

lapsedhibee
11-03-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm probably part of a very small minority but I think the SPL needs the split. I would prefer it to be in a 14 team league with 6 games post split
Nah. That would mean an idle "Saturday" for two teams every week.

Moulin Yarns
12-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Nah. That would mean an idle "Saturday" for two teams every week.

That was put forward as a negative, but there are benefits too, players get a longer recovery period if injured, Rantic get to play their big money glamour friendlies, the supporters get the chance to go shopping with their partners.... :grr:

OK 14 team league get stuffed :wink:

lapsedhibee
12-03-2011, 09:53 AM
That was put forward as a negative, but there are benefits too, players get a longer recovery period if injured, Rantic get to play their big money glamour friendlies, the supporters get the chance to go shopping with their partners.... :grr:

OK 14 team league get stuffed :wink:

14 would be ok but split 2-12 rather than 7-7. The last stage (with Rongers playing Celtc 11 consecutive matches) would be taster for an eventual split between SPL1 (Rongers & Celtc) and SPL2 (the next best twelve). SPL2 would quite soon become more attractive to broadcasters than SPL1 and so attract more dosh, eventually going some way to redressing the financial imbalances in Scotch fitba.

I realise this is just a pipe dream, though, as having just Rongers & Celtc in the top section after a split would mean that a league title would be decided in an OFGTF game, which wouldn't be safe and therefore not allowed by the authorities that be.

Keith_M
12-03-2011, 10:24 AM
RE: Meaningless Games.

As a supporter, my opinion is that there is no such thing as a meaningless game. The vast majority of games Hibs play in aren't going to decide a Title, Euro place or Cup. I go to matches wanting my team to win, no matter the opposition or competition being played. It really gets my goat when pundits describe a match as a 'meaningless game'. If it was, why charge people to watch it?

On the other hand, the games that mean a lot are suppose to stifle how teams play, with claims that teams will be more interested in not losing than winning.

Come on people, you can't have it both ways. It's either a good thing or a bad thing to have something to play for, make up your minds!

Rant over and... breathe.

:greengrin

PeeJay
12-03-2011, 11:38 AM

No need to hide, but I disagree strongly. I don't think we have any thing to fear "now" from clubs above us (that doesn't mean we can't get beat by them of course!). I think if we made it into the top six that would be massive boost to the club and the fans after the dismal season so far. I want us to be measuring ourselves against the best, not the worst. IMO hiding from the "big teams" while building up confidence for next season by beating the "lesser" teams serves no purpose. Beating Hamilton Academicals will not help us to turn up at Tannadice and beat Dundee United, we need to be at Tannadice and actually do it (Yogi's managed it after all, :rolleyes:). I'm 100% against the stupid split, but if it has to happen, we need to be in the top six not in the bottom six, otherwise in a world in which Scottish football means so little, we won't even mean anything in Scottish football...

Woody1985
12-03-2011, 07:26 PM
I like the split, there's always an interest for most clubs with this structure.

Removed
12-03-2011, 07:28 PM
I like the split, there's always an interest for most clubs with this structure.

Bolt

Jonnyboy
12-03-2011, 08:57 PM
No need to hide, but I disagree strongly. I don't think we have any thing to fear "now" from clubs above us (that doesn't mean we can't get beat by them of course!). I think if we made it into the top six that would be massive boost to the club and the fans after the dismal season so far. I want us to be measuring ourselves against the best, not the worst. IMO hiding from the "big teams" while building up confidence for next season by beating the "lesser" teams serves no purpose. Beating Hamilton Academicals will not help us to turn up at Tannadice and beat Dundee United, we need to be at Tannadice and actually do it (Yogi's managed it after all, :rolleyes:). I'm 100% against the stupid split, but if it has to happen, we need to be in the top six not in the bottom six, otherwise in a world in which Scottish football means so little, we won't even mean anything in Scottish football...

Good points all well made Peejay. Lets agree to differ :greengrin

Woody1985
13-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Bolt

:faf:

matty_f
13-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I don't mind the split, to be honest. I would love hibs to make top 6 this season, though it is really unlikely now. I get what jonnyboy is saying about confidence and finishing the season on a high, however with a bit of belief in this team I think we would finish on a much bigger high if we finished the season with good results against the of and the yams.
Making the top 6 would also give us a very remote chance of fourth and a european place, which would be remarkable.