PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon

Jonnyboy
10-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Hi all

With thanks to the Admins for allowing this, I'm making you all aware of another Hibs book that's about to be published. It's the first of a trilogy and deals with Hibs since 1946 (Alan Lugton having brilliantly covered 1875 to 1946 with his own trilogy from the same publisher) and is entitled 'At Easter Road They Play'

My style is different from Alan's with each chapter of the book relating to a season, starting with 1946/47 and this first of the trilogy takes the reader through to 1965/66 so plenty of exciting stuff including three league championships, the Famous Five, first in Europe, Joe Baker and much more besides!

It'll be a hardback and should be out by the end of April, beginning of May - just in time to keep you Hibbyfied over the close season :wink:

Cheers :greengrin

Saorsa
10-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi all

With thanks to the Admins for allowing this, I'm making you all aware of another Hibs book that's about to be published. It's the first of a trilogy and deals with Hibs since 1946 (Alan Lugton having brilliantly covered 1875 to 1946 with his own trilogy from the same publisher) and is entitled 'At Easter Road They Play'

My style is different from Alan's with each chapter of the book relating to a season, starting with 1946/47 and this first of the trilogy takes the reader through to 1965/66 so plenty of exciting stuff including three league championships, the Famous Five, first in Europe, Joe Baker and much more besides!

It'll be a hardback and should be out by the end of April, beginning of May - just in time to keep you Hibbyfied over the close season :wink:

Cheers :greengrinWill you be covering the Alex Miller years in any of the books, John? Naebody will ever get beyond that bit, they'll keep falling asleep :greengrin

BroxburnHibee
10-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi all

Brilliant John - about time tae :greengrin

Canny wait :thumbsup:

3pm
10-03-2011, 09:59 PM
I was a bit worried about the thread when I saw the title. Thought Craig Thomson had been up to no good again.

Good luck with the book sir!

Jonnyboy
10-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Will you be covering the Alex Miller years in any of the books, John? Naebody will ever get beyond that bit, they'll keep falling asleep :greengrin

Fair enough - I fell asleep writing it :greengrin

Saorsa
10-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Fair enough - I fell asleep writing it :greengrin:hilarious

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

On a serious note though, good luck with it :thumbsup:

Ray_
10-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi all

Looking forward to adding it to the collection & of course for the great read.

Purple & Green
10-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Cmon J where can we order it from?

HNA6
10-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Excellent stuff JC, looking forward tae reading it ....:aok:

Keith_M
11-03-2011, 06:54 AM
That's great Jonnyboy, I'm looking forward to it.

Remember to post the details or where it can be ordered, I feel a birthday present to self coming on :greengrin

scoopyboy
11-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi all

Great Stuff J.

Glad its hardback, better for my Hibs bookshelf.

For fans of These Colours Don't Run and Hibs Boy by messrs Dykes and Blanche I do hope you are keeping us apace with the hooligan element throughout the ages from the Lawrie Reilly Teddy Boys through YLT to the infamous CCS.

Golden Bear
11-03-2011, 08:36 AM
It sounds like a right rivetting read.

:thumbsup:

HibbyRod
11-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Great news Jonnyboy, can't wait to see the first one. :thumbsup:

Its particularly good that you are updating the details on from the excellent trilogy by Alan Lugton.

stu in nottingham
11-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Good luck with the book, Jonny and the rest of the trilogy. Hope it flies off the shelves, mate.

tanfield
11-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Great news! I see amazon have in on pre-order for 21.25 but down as a paperback which obviously isn't right.

Jonnyboy
11-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments folks - much appreciated :thumbsup:

It's available on pre order from Amazon but they wrongly describe it as a paperback and it's not! It's hardback, around 300 pages and that excludes several pages of photographs (a few of which have not yet seen the light of day in any Hibs book :greengrin)

Once I get firmer details I'll post them on this thread :flag:

sleeping giant
11-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Gaun yersel Jonnyboy:not worth

smurf
11-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Excellent news. Wish the Lugton books could be reissued as I've only got the first...

weststandhibby
11-03-2011, 07:44 PM
when's the signing session? - always a good investment - signed first edition books :greengrin

HibbyRod
11-03-2011, 08:08 PM

It's available on pre order from Amazon but they wrongly describe it as a paperback and it's not! It's hardback, around 300 pages and that excludes several pages of photographs (a few of which have not yet seen the light of day in any Hibs book :greengrin)

OK, Amazon it is then! :aok:

Cannae wait!

Kato
11-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Great stuff Jonnyboy. Can't wait.

Fantic
11-03-2011, 08:27 PM
No another book about the ***** casuals, look at us we did this, we did that etc etc

:devil:

Only jokin Jonny best of luck - looking forward to it.

Jonnyboy
11-03-2011, 08:30 PM
when's the signing session? - always a good investment - signed first edition books :greengrin

Not sure yet - awaiting word from the publishers and so meantime I'm practising using a pen as everything's done with a keyboard these days :greengrin

surreyhibbie
11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
On order with Amazon! :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
11-03-2011, 09:30 PM
On order with Amazon! :thumbsup:

new malkyhib
11-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi all

Good luck with it John -the older I get (and i've got a bit to go to catch up with you, pal:greengrin) the more the Hibs get under my skin - guys like you just reinforce that feeling.

Cheers mate,

Malky.

The Harp
11-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Hi all

Great stuff John!:thumbsup:
I spoke with Alan L. on the phone a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned what you were doing - didn't realise the first one was so close to being published.
Wi' my birthday coming up soon, the old hints will be getting dropped big time.:wink:
A' the best wi' your venture, I'm sure it'll be another winner.

IberianHibernian
11-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Looking forward to reading this . My first match was January 1969 ( I think ! ) so will be reading about stuff I`ve only heard about from people who introduced me to Hibs and usual Famous Five stuff . The period in our history when we won loads of trophies but also lost a lot of supporters ( for many reasons ) .

NaeTechnoHibby
12-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Great News John and well done :flag:

Lucius Apuleius
12-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Brilliant john. Looking forward to it but make sure you have a signing in Stirling will you. :smile.

Big Frank
12-03-2011, 02:45 PM

Fantastic news John :agree:

(aboot time tae :wink:)

Magic re the pics also :agree: (most Hibs books sadly lack these, so well done on thaqt score).

Best of luck with it, I cannae wait :aok:

Kojock
12-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Just pre ordered from Amazon.

Is there a colouring in section. :wink:

Jonnyboy
12-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Just pre ordered from Amazon.

Is there a colouring in section. :wink:

Only in the adult version :greengrin

oregonhibby
13-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Ordered it!

Looking forward to reading it!

tanfield
13-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah, ordered it as well. Can't wait!

Jonnyboy
14-03-2011, 09:24 PM
To those who've ordered :thumbsup:

To those that haven't :tsk tsk:

:greengrin

Speedy
14-03-2011, 09:31 PM
I may consider buying this for my Dad. He's not a big reader but I got him the Eddie Turnbull book so I'll find out how he got on with that :thumbsup:

I'll need to borrow it at some point as well :greengrin

Jonnyboy
14-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I may consider buying this for my Dad. He's not a big reader but I got him the Eddie Turnbull book so I'll find out how he got on with that :thumbsup:

Good man (the ET book is worth borrowing) :greengrin

HNA6
15-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Good man (the ET book is worth borrowing) :greengrinOff to Turkey in June so will have the book by then for my "poolside reading" ..:thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
15-03-2011, 01:01 AM

An excellent book. I couldn't put it down and I'm not a great lover of reading books. It was not until I read it did I learn that Hibs had planned to increase the capacity of the stadium to 80,000. Awesome but never materialised.

Now planning on buying "At Easter Road they Play". Well done Jonnyboy.

Calvin
15-03-2011, 02:26 AM
Seems to be cheaper on the Tesco site - that'll do for me!

hibeg
15-03-2011, 07:19 AM
How can there be such a massive difference in the price between Amazon ( £21) and Tesco ( £14)? Also noticed different RRP on both sites.

--------
15-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Only in the adult version :greengrin

There's an ADULT version, John? :shocked:

Why do the names Jim O'Rourke and Peter Marinello - and 'Nigeria' - come to mind? :devil:

Haven't ordered mine yet - I'll wait till I can get it "used and new" on Amazon for 0.01p plus postage. (Just kidding.)

Got it on pre-order now, J.

jakki
15-03-2011, 01:49 PM
preordered mine :thumbsup:

HNA6
15-03-2011, 04:23 PM
About the book (Tesco)

Since 1875 Hibernian Football Club has been an integral part of sporting life in the City of Edinburgh and Port of Leith; its early history up to 1946 has been brilliantly documented in The Making of Hibernian trilogy by Alan Lugton. John Campbell's At Easter Road they Play is the first part of a new trilogy that brings the history up to date, picking up the story from 1946 and covering what was the most successful part of the club's history when Hibernian won three Championship titles and became the first British club to play in the European Cup, reaching the semi-final. Packed with anecdotal tales of the times, it gives a fascinating insight into life at the club when the Famous Five were in their heyday right through to the mid-sixties when a young lad by the name of Joe Baker burst onto the scene. A game-bygame, goal-by-goal account of the many highs and numerous lows, At Easter Road they Play takes the reader on a fantastic journey back to the days when massive crowds flocked to Easter Road to see Hibernian play. For any Hibs fan that lived through those heady days this book will bring back to life a host of happy memories whilst at the same time allowing those fans who were perhaps too young or not even born at the time to see just how different football was back then when compared to the modern day game.

Wished my auld Father in law was still alive, he would have loved this book...:agree:

Pretty Boy
15-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Thats my copy ordered. Can't wait.

Only managed to track down and read a copy of Vol 3 of the Lugton books a few months ago so good to have this coming to follow on nicely.

lyonhibs
15-03-2011, 08:49 PM
That will be getting ordered with my next pay packet, no doubt about it - just in time for a holiday to Cornwall with the other half.

Tho Tesco Books site also has it down as a paperback :confused:

http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9781841589893&bci=479|Football*23|Coming%20Soon (http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9781841589893&bci=479%7CFootball*23%7CComing%20Soon)

I'll be getting it regardless, but you might want to get onto these sites and get them to update the details, as £20 for a hardback is a damn sight better value that £20 for a paperback.

GGTTH

Danderhall Hibs
15-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Great stuff John!:thumbsup:
I spoke with Alan L. on the phone a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned what you were doing - didn't realise the first one was so close to being published.
Wi' my birthday coming up soon, the old hints will be getting dropped big time.:wink:
A' the best wi' your venture, I'm sure it'll be another winner.

Any chance you could give him a bell and ask him if he's got vol 2 & 3 of his trilogy lying about that I could buy off him? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
15-03-2011, 09:27 PM
That will be getting ordered with my next pay packet, no doubt about it - just in time for a holiday to Cornwall with the other half.

Tho Tesco Books site also has it down as a paperback :confused:

http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9781841589893&bci=479|Football*23|Coming%20Soon (http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9781841589893&bci=479%7CFootball*23%7CComing%20Soon)

I'll be getting it regardless, but you might want to get onto these sites and get them to update the details, as £20 for a hardback is a damn sight better value that £20 for a paperback.

GGTTH

As does Amazon but it is definitely a hardback :agree:

RRP price variation confuses me. Publisher told me it would be £25RRP and I have to admit I thought that was a tad on the hefty side but it looks like they'll be selling it cheaper via Amazon, Tesco etc :greengrin

Thank you to all who have pre-ordered. I'm kinda looking forward to reading it myself :greengrin

Jonnyboy
15-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Any chance you could give him a bell and ask him if he's got vol 2 & 3 of his trilogy lying about that I could buy off him? :greengrin

I've been after the publishers to re-print all three volumes DH. Perhaps a wee email from those interested may help persuade them :wink:

Email: info@birlinn.co.uk

The following link shows the book cover etc - scroll to near the foot

http://www.birlinn.co.uk/book/catalog/

iwasthere1972
17-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I've been after the publishers to re-print all three volumes DH. Perhaps a wee email from those interested may help persuade them :wink:

Email: info@birlinn.co.uk

The following link shows the book cover etc - scroll to near the foot

http://www.birlinn.co.uk/book/catalog/

I'm struggling to identify the opposition and ground featured on the cover of your superb yet to be read by me book.

Can you put me out of my misery please. :aok:

ALF TUPPER
17-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi all

Great stuff John.....

I'm hoping you might sign a wee copy for me ? :)

Jonnyboy
17-03-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm struggling to identify the opposition and ground featured on the cover of your superb yet to be read by me book.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't actually know :faf: The publisher came up with it and I've not seen it yet other than on their site/Amazon etc :greengrin

Jonnyboy
17-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Great stuff John.....

I'm hoping you might sign a wee copy for me ? :)

Not a problem Phil :agree:

Gonna need to practise using a pen as I only ever write via a keyboard these days :greengrin

Jonnyboy
17-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Just a wee bit more info on this ......

Volume one is entitled "At Easter Road They Play" and covers the period 1946/47 to 1965/66

Volume two is entitled "In Colours Green and White" and covers the period 1966/67 to 1988/89

Volume three is entitled "As The Hibs Go Marching On" and covers the period from 1989/90 to date

The observant ones amongst you may notice a theme with the titles :greengrin

For Volume one, Lawrie Reilly has written a foreword and here's a wee extract from that

Reading At Easter Road They Play brought back memories of giants of Scottish football whom I played with and against. It also recalled some great matches which I took part in or watched with a Hibs scarf round my neck. It recounts leagues won and cups oh so nearly won and great nights in Europe.

lapsedhibee
17-03-2011, 10:06 PM
The observant ones amongst you may notice a theme with the titles :greengrin

They're all written in a strange language a bit like English but not English, except the last one?

They play at Easter Road would be English
In green and white colours would be English
But As the Hibs go marching on already is English :confused:

Jonnyboy
17-03-2011, 10:08 PM
They're all written in a strange language a bit like English but not English, except the last one?

They play at Easter Road would be English
In green and white colours would be English
But As the Hibs go marching on already is English :confused:

Good points :agree:

hibbybrian
18-03-2011, 05:14 PM

I reckon it's St Mirren circa 1961

and good luck with the publishing Mr C - hope there's more than the trilogy to come

iwasthere1972
18-03-2011, 09:06 PM

and good luck with the publishing Mr C - hope there's more than the trilogy to come

Looking at their strip at that time and this photo of the ground http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsmbm/4765177145/in/pool-790581@N25/ it looks like you're probably on the button.

Thanks.

Jonnyboy
18-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Looking at their strip at that time and this photo of the ground http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsmbm/4765177145/in/pool-790581@N25/ it looks like you're probably on the button.

Thanks.

Yip, away to St Mirren with Ronnie Simpson pulling off a wonder save :thumbsup: