PDA

View Full Version : John Rankin told he can leave!

scott7_0(Prague)
09-03-2011, 10:27 AM
http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hibs_midfielder_john_rankin_told_he_can_go_655532/index.shtml

Former ICT man won't recieve contract offer in the summer

According to press reports in today’s tabloids, Hibs manager Colin Calderwood has told John Rankin his contract will not be renewed at the end of the season.

Rankin is one of 14 players still at the club, with their contract up at the end of this campaign, and like fellow midfielder Kevin McBride, he has been told he can find a new club.

The 27-year-old joined the Hibees in 2008 from Inverness Caledonian Thistle, when then manager Mixu Paatelainen paid £150,000 for the player.

He has gone on to make over 100 appearances for the Hibees scoring 8 goals.

Rankin started his career with Manchester United, but failed to make the grade at Old Trafford, he then moved to Ross County in 2003, where he played over 100 games for the 1st division club. He was also capped at Scotland B level while playing for the Staggies.

He then moved to Highland rivals Inverness Caley in 2006, and made over 50 appearances for them.

The highlight of his time at Easter Road was the famous “Squiggler” goal against Celtic in 2008, when he beat keeper Artur Boruc from 45 yards out, with an intentionally sliced shot, that dips and swerves on it’s way to goal

Speedway
09-03-2011, 10:28 AM
It's worse than that, Ian's a gonner too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9419537.stm

JE89
09-03-2011, 10:30 AM

:faf: Brilliant

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2011, 10:30 AM
£150k :bitchy: Another that wont be missed, CC seems to have the same eye as me regarding the dross and who should be punted. :top marks

Pretty Boy
09-03-2011, 10:31 AM

TBH after he retired Rebus i just don't feel he was offering the fans the same quality anymore.

poolman
09-03-2011, 10:32 AM

It will give him more time to concentrate on his books :agree:

lapsedhibee
09-03-2011, 10:34 AM
TBH after he retired Rebus i just don't feel he was offering the fans the same quality anymore.

He didn't tackle anything worthwhile after that.

Part/Time Supporter
09-03-2011, 10:37 AM

Adlai Stevenson, John Wilkes Booth and JK Galbraith have also been given the heave-ho.

:agree:

Speedway
09-03-2011, 10:44 AM
If he's not careful, Delia Smith could be next.

JE89
09-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Despite having great ability to hit the net, Andy Murray is also being booted I have been informed.

truehibernian
09-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Terry McCann was also told he could leave.....he was last heard leaving East Mains saying "I could be so good for you......" with some older geezer in a sheepskin coat with a cigar :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
09-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Brilliant :thumbsup:

steakbake
09-03-2011, 10:53 AM
I feel bad for the guy.

Not really a fans' favourite I know, but I don't think anyone could ever accuse him of not trying. I just think perhaps his ability/confidence has been surpassed by new additions to the team and with that in mind, he's best off somewhere else.

Hope he gets a regular game in the future because on top form, he has been shown to have a bit of an eye for goal. The squiggler versus Celtic and his goal in the 3-0 win at Ibrox being particularly memorable.

Good Luck, Ian.... I mean, John.

500miles
09-03-2011, 10:55 AM
£150k :bitchy: Another that wont be missed, CC seems to have the same eye as me regarding the dross and who should be punted. :top marks

Is this the bit when Blackpoolhibs tries to rebuild his "messageboard credibilty" after it was obliterated at the point of, and leading up to Yogi's departure?

Here's my point about John Rankin. He's an OK player. He's not going to take Hibs to a higher level. He's not going to drag a decent side down either. He's a hard working professional. The sort of guy who could come in if the likes of Scott is injured, run about a bit, without the midfield as a whole taking a hammering. He'll more than likely get another SPL team. Rumours were that Dundee Utd were sniffing about him when Yogi arrived, in case he was surplus.

I'm not gutted that he's gone. I wouldn't be gutted if he stayed. A reliable squad player, but someone who I would hope we can improve on.

His hard work for Hibernian FC should be commended, and his goals against the Old Firm well remembered. Never deserved to be the scapegoat.

Speedway
09-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Is this the bit when Blackpoolhibs tries to rebuild his "messageboard credibilty" after it was obliterated at the point of, and leading up to Yogi's departure?

Here's my point about John Rankin. He's an OK player. He's not going to take Hibs to a higher level. He's not going to drag a decent side down either. He's a hard working professional. The sort of guy who could come in if the likes of Scott is injured, run about a bit, without the midfield as a whole taking a hammering. He'll more than likely get another SPL team. Rumours were that Dundee Utd were sniffing about him when Yogi arrived, in case he was surplus.

I'm not gutted that he's gone. I wouldn't be gutted if he stayed. A reliable squad player, but someone who I would hope we can improve on.

His hard work for Hibernian FC should be commended, and his goals against the Old Firm well remembered. Never deserved to be the scapegoat.

Disagree, you've all but described him as ineffectual and that's why he deserves criticism.

delbert
09-03-2011, 11:03 AM
A trier, but a headless chicken most of the time whose ability to pass a ball more than 5 yards was suspect at best, and who on many ocassions contributed the square root of heehaw whilst managing to look incredibly busy. Not a player who would take this club forward in any way, and just the type of dross which we need to get rid of to make way hopefully for better players. Please CC a few more to follow, at last a manager who it would appear has the balls to make the sweeping changes needed at Easter Road for about 2 seasons, and get this club moving in the right direction again.

Stevie Reid
09-03-2011, 11:03 AM
I bear no grudge, wish him well and thank him for his efforts - but I'm glad he's going.

Speedway
09-03-2011, 11:10 AM
That's Rankin and McBride. We were happy to let Nish and Thicot explore other options, so I'm guessing they'll be asked to smoke a fat one too.

Stack, Smith and Flynn have got to be worried. Moyes will do well to get a new deal, as will McCann. Towell will do a Rocastle. Stevenson is on a shoogly, Miller may try his luck elsewhere such as Bayern Munchen or AC Milan. EDG not even on the offical site anymore. Valdas will be asked to make Trakys and who knows about Deek.

14/15 oot the door,squad down to 19 and wage bill slashed. Rod'll like that.

Could be quite the summer sale in prospect.

hibsbollah
09-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Everything about him just annoyed me. Thanks for the goal and great performance in the 2-0 Celtic win under Mixu, by far your finest hour.

truehibernian
09-03-2011, 11:15 AM
That's Rankin and McBride. We were happy to let Nish and Thicot explore other options, so I'm guessing they'll be asked to smoke a fat one too.

Stack, Smith and Flynn have got to be worried. Moyes will do well to get a new deal, as will McCann. Towell will do a Rocastle. Stevenson is on a shoogly, Miller may try his luck elsewhere such as Bayern Munchen or AC Milan. EDG not even on the offical site anymore. Valdas will be asked to make Trakys and who knows about Deek.

I prefer to look upon summer as the season we became professional. I can't wait to see who comes in and the new look team. Really confident in the manner CC is doing things and I think we have a really bright future with him at the helm.

Aldo
09-03-2011, 11:23 AM
It was te expected was it not.....the ones that cant make the grade??

I would like to think that CC and DA have more than ample replacements lined up.... bear no grudge towards Rankin. Tries hard but not good enough IMHO. Great goals against the great unwashed but not much more than that.

More to follow me thinks.

Shame about Stacks injury cos he was looking the part big time and was becoming very consistent.

500miles
09-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Disagree, you've all but described him as ineffectual and that's why he deserves criticism.

Mediocre is the word I would use. Potentially ineffectual. In our current midfield, he'd look a much better player. I've not seen anything from Jimmy Scott which suggests that he is anything more than a tall John Rankin, with a "nasty ******* streak". Of course, those two attributes are key in taking advantage of the energy which he and Rankin possess.

Much like McBride, who looks good in a midfield who simply need him to keep possession by means of simple passes, and covering for the fullbacks when they get forward, Rankin could play well in a team who simply require someone who can make supporting runs (think Galbraith goal v Celtic), and is always available for the pass. He's not good enough to plug the gaps in physique and goals that we were looking for in midfield, but for a team - perhaps like dundee united at the time, looking for someone to keep up with the pace of Swanson and Goodwillie - he would be a greater asset.

Certain players play better in certain teams. Then you have teams in the bottom six who would play him in behind the strikers.

Theres every possibility that it's just not been for him at Hibs.

Borderhibbie76
09-03-2011, 11:24 AM

Whilst Rankon could never quite be described as one of the many "wage thieves", he just didn't have it and all the effort in the world didn't make up for the simple fact he wasn't good enough. So whilst it's not quite good riddance....I am also glad he's a goner!!!

I would hope that we would try to keep Towell, though not sure how easy Rantic will be to deal with and FWIW I reckon both Stevenson and Stacky may get another 12 months each...

truehibernian
09-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Mediocre is the word I would use. Potentially ineffectual. In our current midfield, he'd look a much better player. I've not seen anything from Jimmy Scott which suggests that he is anything more than a tall John Rankin, with a "nasty ******* streak". Of course, those two attributes are key in taking advantage of the energy which he and Rankin possess.

Much like McBride, who looks good in a midfield who simply need him to keep possession by means of simple passes, and covering for the fullbacks when they get forward, Rankin could play well in a team who simply require someone who can make supporting runs (think Galbraith goal v Celtic), and is always available for the pass. He's not good enough to plug the gaps in physique and goals that we were looking for in midfield, but for a team - perhaps like dundee united at the time, looking for someone to keep up with the pace of Swanson and Goodwillie - he would be a greater asset.

Certain players play better in certain teams. Then you have teams in the bottom six who would play him in behind the strikers.

Theres every possibility that it's just not been for him at Hibs.

I think in Jimmy Scott (to compare against Rankin) you get a player who doesn't always play back to goal, can use both feet, can chase down and harry players, and more crucially win possession and bully. Both have similar energy levels, but far far prefer having someone like Scott in midfield.

If you analyse when Scott has played, look where he is positionally when Hibs attack and get into the box. He is more often than not in areas where he can score/penetrate or make defenders think/mark. Rankin is far too often on the outskirts of the box, not keen enought to get into the box and make an option.

What annoys me about Ranks is the constant need to cut inside onto his left foot, or taking possession with his back to the opposition. He constantly turned into trouble and put us on the back foot IMHO. Good pro, fit as a butchers dog, has had his time at Hibs. Wish him well, but we can get better in.

Last Minute
09-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Everything about him just annoyed me. Thanks for the goal and great performance in the 2-0 Celtic win under Mixu, by far your finest hour.

And the cracker v the Huns in the 3-0 win :thumbsup:

Hainan Hibs
09-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Everything about him depressed me.

He just wasn't Hibs class. His ability, his look, his name, everything about him, completely and utterly depressed me.

The atmosphere around him just screamed Bottom Six Dross.

Ritchie
09-03-2011, 11:33 AM
I bear no grudge, wish him well and thank him for his efforts - but I'm glad he's going.

nail on the head! :agree:

matty_f
09-03-2011, 11:37 AM

:agree: Agree with most of that.

I have mixed reactions about the news on Rankin. From the pure point of view of looking at the quality of the team and how Rankin fits into it, it's good news - I can count on the fingers of one.. erm.. finger the number of games where Rankin has been significant in winning the midfield in any games.

I always liked his attitude though, never (IMHO) hid in games and is one of the few players who you can actually see trying harder when games aren't going his way.

Ultimately though, he's not a top 6 midfielder IMHO, and for that reason - he's out.:agree:

RickyS
09-03-2011, 11:40 AM

He just wasn't Hibs class. His ability, his look, his name, everything about him, completely and utterly depressed me.

couldnae agree more, got a feelin he will end up with Mixu again, he was the last gaffer to get a semi-decent performance from him

500miles
09-03-2011, 11:40 AM
I think in Jimmy Scott (to compare against Rankin) you get a player who doesn't always play back to goal, can use both feet, can chase down and harry players, and more crucially win possession and bully. Both have similar energy levels, but far far prefer having someone like Scott in midfield.

If you analyse when Scott has played, look where he is positionally when Hibs attack and get into the box. He is more often than not in areas where he can score/penetrate or make defenders think/mark. Rankin is far too often on the outskirts of the box, not keen enought to get into the box and make an option.

What annoys me about Ranks is the constant need to cut inside onto his left foot, or taking possession with his back to the opposition. He constantly turned into trouble and put us on the back foot IMHO. Good pro, fit as a butchers dog, has had his time at Hibs. Wish him well, but we can get better in.

Rankin DOES chase down players, he DOES harrass players. However, he doesn't fly into tackles - which Scott does - because he's not got that nasty streak.

Scott also makes runs INTO the box because he can get a ball stuck on his head. At 6ft, he's a decent target. Rankin hangs about on the edge for the cutback because he wants to take a dig.

I wouldn't say that Scott is more two footed that Rankin, who played some decent games for us at right mid, and his goal against Rangers was with his right foot.

Wakeyhibee
09-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Stack, Smith and Flynn have got to be worried. Moyes will do well to get a new deal, as will McCann. Towell will do a Rocastle. Stevenson is on a shoogly, Miller may try his luck elsewhere such as Bayern Munchen or AC Milan. EDG not even on the offical site anymore.

Miller should try his luck elsewhere and EDG should approach EDF

poolman
09-03-2011, 11:58 AM

You could maybe add Thicot and Nish to that list

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Think he will maybe end up at Motherwell or even back at ICT. Hibs will be the biggest club that he plays for IMO. Did himself no favours at all trotting out the " one win is all we need to get top six" line, when we were in deet ship. Kinda came across like he was in denial.

Sammy7nil
09-03-2011, 12:26 PM

Nail on the Head :agree:

Green Man
09-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Always put in a shift, good guy to talk to, probably one of the hardest working professionals at the club. But he's not good enough for the level we're aiming to be, and it's for the best that he moves on. All the best John.

Hibs90
09-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Cheery bye bye :thumbsup:

Franck is God
09-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Never rated Rankin at any point in a Hibs jersey. Always needed two touches and far too much time on the ball to be effective against any decent sides. I was slightly concerned that he featured a lot for CC when he first arrived but that was clearly down to showing up well in training and his excellent attitude and work rate but as soon as he was able to bring in better players he has quite rightly been left out.

As for the rest of the players out of contract I expect Thicot, McCann, Duffy & Smith to leave.

I can see Miller, Stevenson, Stack & Riordan being offered new deals and I could even see Nish getting an offer too.

I do think that Riordan will be disappointed with his offer though, if he is to stay he'll have to take a salary that is based on his importance to the team. Once CC has brought in his players in the summer he will have to perform much better to even appear on the bench never mind get on the pitch.

Saorsa
09-03-2011, 12:37 PM
That was 150k + wages well and truly doon the pan, cheerio.

Albion Hibs
09-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Rankin is a player that regardless of the day of the week it is, temperature outside and venue you knew what you were going to get from him. Granted he is not the most gifted of players, but he has spent a few years pulling on the jersey for us and doing whatever asked. For that alone he does not deserve some of the abuse he gets.

Hibs may well be the biggest club he plays for but I guess at the end of the day at least he can turn round and say he has played for hibs, a dream for many / all of us.

Scott may well be the next Rankin, he does to date look slightly taller and less effective. Rather that criticise him I will say it is early days and he still has time to show why we bought him. As for comments about him being a much better player, at this stage there is no evidence to support that. If he sends in one from 40 yards against celtic and starts off a 3 nil win away to rangers then I will happily eat my words!

Winston Ingram
09-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Thank god.

I appreciate that he's a 'hard worker' & 'gets stuck in' but the boy is a footballer and sure;y being able to play football should be the priority here.

He is technically inept and has no football brain whatsover.

I'd say he wasn't Hibs class but the facts are I'd be struggling to defend him in arguement as to whether he was Greenock Morton class.

Gatecrasher
09-03-2011, 12:53 PM
£150K
he didnt ask for that price tag, Mixu was willing to pay it!

He is a hard worker who lacked a bit of steel needed at the time. Good luck in the future :aok:

HibbyAndy
09-03-2011, 12:59 PM
No great loss imo..Id also like to see Thicot, Nish De Graaf (Permanently) Hart Mcbride follow him in the summer aswell, Get rid of the dross off the wage bill and bring in better recruits.

Beefster
09-03-2011, 01:00 PM
No great loss and will be easily replaceable within the squad at a fraction of the wage.

Hope he does well though, except against Hibs.

rubber mal
09-03-2011, 01:06 PM
I feel bad for the guy.

Not really a fans' favourite I know, but I don't think anyone could ever accuse him of not trying. I just think perhaps his ability/confidence has been surpassed by new additions to the team and with that in mind, he's best off somewhere else.

Hope he gets a regular game in the future because on top form, he has been shown to have a bit of an eye for goal. The squiggler versus Celtic and his goal in the 3-0 win at Ibrox being particularly memorable.

Good Luck, Ian.... I mean, John.

:agree: It didn't work out for him at Hibs but his professionalism, commitment, effort and fitness were never in question. For that reason, I wish him all the best in the future.

loanheadhibby
09-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Don't like to see anyone lose their job however it is in our interest to let him go.

My abiding memory of him will be against St J at ER (3-0). Roundly booed whenever a pass went astray, groaned at constantly when he was on the ball and giving standing ovation as he left the field!

Who said fans are fickle?

Sas_The_Hibby
09-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Unfortunately "Hibs class" and "bottom six dross" are one and the same thing this season! :devil::duck:

M11BMO
09-03-2011, 01:14 PM
News of Rankin being told he can leave, as well as a few others who will follow him out the door, are positive steps by CC to clear out the deadwood.

This on the back of the few signings CC has already made, makes for exciting times.

Roll on the Summer transfer window.

Danderhall Hibs
09-03-2011, 01:16 PM
£150K
he didnt ask for that price tag, Mixu was willing to pay it!

He is a hard worker who lacked a bit of steel needed at the time. Good luck in the future :aok:

Wasn't Rankin a Petrie signing? I remmeber JC saying Petrie kept on asking if he wanted Rankin from ICT, he didn't then when JC left the deal was done and lined up ready for Mixu to "ok it".

Speedway
09-03-2011, 01:37 PM
You could maybe add Thicot and Nish to that list

Or perhaps Rankin and McBride?

al bundy
09-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't get people who said he put a shift in, it's what hes paid to do isn't it? Just never good enough am afraid.

Speedway
09-03-2011, 01:44 PM
:hijack:

On a slight tangent, but still about fringe players, I've just remembered a wonderful post on .net some time ago about a Hibby who met a squad player before a match.

The .net poster wished him well and asked him who he was playing for these days.

I was in tears of laughter at the time and I'm in tears again now remembering it. Don't know why I find it so funny, but I do.

Quality Chat! :greengrin

Anyway....

EskbankHibby
09-03-2011, 02:47 PM
It was te expected was it not.....the ones that cant make the grade??

I would like to think that CC and DA have more than ample replacements lined up.... bear no grudge towards Rankin. Tries hard but not good enough IMHO. Great goals against the great unwashed but not much more than that.

More to follow me thinks.

Shame about Stacks injury cos he was looking the part big time and was becoming very consistent.

He's not away as well is he?:grr: *** sake, he's just in the door as well.:devil:

Nando™
09-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Nothing against him, it's not his fault he's not good enough for Hibs.

Good luck John.

Dashing Bob S
09-03-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm gutted for the lad.

But on another matter, pleased John Rankin's leaving Hibs.

heretoday
09-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I bet he joins Hearts and wins the New Year derby with a squiggler!

essexhibee
09-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Great news! He was painful to watch! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mjhibby
09-03-2011, 05:08 PM
News of Rankin being told he can leave, as well as a few others who will follow him out the door, are positive steps by CC to clear out the deadwood.

This on the back of the few signings CC has already made, makes for exciting times.

Roll on the Summer transfer window.

The january transfer window was well used to improve the team but the summer will be when the main changes happening.I dont think all of those who are out of contract will leave as we still need a squad but i can definetely see nish,trakys,edg,thicot,rankin,mcbride,mccann and smith going.Riordan,miller and stevenson and probably duffy i can see staying but should riordan and miller move on then we can expect at least 8 new faces in the summer.Moyes and welsh im sure will come back into the squad and brown and stack will be retained i think with stack being probably offered a 1 year contract.Towell is only on loan so that could be yet another place to fill.
So cc heres what i would like for the team.A rb(even if towell stays as we need cover and competition).A ch in the bamba mould but who cuts out the mistakes,two creative midfielders in the latapy mould, a winger in the joe mcbride mould to whip in crosses for sodje and who else we sign and of course a 15-20 goal striker even if deek stays.Calderwood has shown he has an eye for a player with his targets that he never bought regularly scoring since january.The summer is going to be the most exciting for years and while i expect he will be looking at players in their early twenties to continue bringing in players he can improve and sell on i hope he gets at least three experienced players so to give our excellent youngsters a rest every now and then.
These are exciting times and such like i never imagined just six short games ago.Cc has had his plan and stuck to it.Pity it took so long to turn it round but i think now its says more about the players leaving than it does about cc.If only the transfer window was a few weeks earlier but that the ways it goes and once again its great to be looking forward to every hibs game instead of dreading them.Derek adams i think has helped greatly in the last while but i think now cc has got to grips with the spl hopefully he will bring in decent quality and ones that can flourish in the spl.Good luck to rankin,mcbride,nish and all the other players leaving and thanks for all your efforts.
Hopefully cc and adams will have got rid of all the baggage that collinns,mixu and hughes had to deal with regards players behaviour and attitude and im sure cc will only sign players who want to be at er and who will bust a gut for the team.GGTTH.

Riordans Boots
09-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Always put in a shift, good guy to talk to, probably one of the hardest working professionals at the club. But he's not good enough for the level we're aiming to be, and it's for the best that he moves on. All the best John.

Have to agree with everything you say here. :agree:

All the very best JR :aok:

Phil D. Rolls
09-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Rankin full stop?

leeds_hibby
09-03-2011, 06:57 PM
he will be looking more forward till the end of the season now so as he can get his once a year Mc donalds.:wink:

DH1875
09-03-2011, 07:33 PM

:top marks. Honestly don't get why so many people on here give him such a hard time.

One things for sure though, it aint half going to be an intresting summer.

ScottB
09-03-2011, 09:35 PM

I agree. Not the most talented player we've ever had, but never hid and always put in a shift.

I wouldn't have objected to retaining him as a back up to be honest. Sure he'll remain in the SPL.

scoopyboy
09-03-2011, 09:40 PM
I agree. Not the most talented player we've ever had, but never hid and always put in a shift.

I wouldn't have objected to retaining him as a back up to be honest. Sure he'll remain in the SPL.

Gets married in the summer and is wanting to try his luck in England.

Not a bad lad but at the end of the day not good enough and good luck in the future.

eastmainsmsh
09-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Real buzzbomb runs all over place Rankin is an honest player always puts in a shift played some good games for us Good luck when he leaves always gets his fair share of stick which at times is unfair

Springbank
09-03-2011, 11:43 PM
As mourinho once said of rankin, 'so defensive. He only came here to park re bus' i'll get my coat,quite literally

LeithBoozy
10-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Good-by John, missing you already. :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
10-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Not surprised by this news and although I've seen worse players wear the Hibs jersey, far worse in fact, he does need to move on for the sake of his career.

If he stays in Scotland, I'm sure he'll remain in the SPL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Kilmarnock and link up with Mixu again.

If he goes to England, he'll end up in League One.

J-C
10-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Always gave 100% although lacked in the talent department, pity the so called talented players in the squad had given the same 100%, we might not have been in this bloody mess.

M11BMO
10-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Not surprised by this news and although I've seen worse players wear the Hibs jersey, far worse in fact, he does need to move on for the sake of his career.

If he stays in Scotland, I'm sure he'll remain in the SPL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Kilmarnock and link up with Mixu again.

If he goes to England, he'll end up in League One.

And turns out to be immense for them.

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Always gave 100% although lacked in the talent department, pity the so called talented players in the squad had given the same 100%, we might not have been in this bloody mess.

Personally i think the so called talented players could maybe have played better, the likes of Rankin never could. Perhaps those that give the so called 100% had played better, we again might not have been in this bloody mess. :wink:

Hibby Kay-Yay
10-03-2011, 11:52 AM
As our numbers will no doubt fall come the end of the season, I would like to see us have a base of 16 first team quality players which would then be suplemented by youth should they be required.

If we had a base of 16 then that gives CC/DA a better all round wage budget to allow them to focus on quality over quantity. Plus. look at the success that CC has had over the years with getting the best out of youth/young players.

The summer will be interesting on how Hibs will look and play.

Baldy Foghorn
10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Personally i think the so called talented players could maybe have played better, the likes of Rankin never could. Perhaps those that give the so called 100% had played better, we again might not have been in this bloody mess. :wink:

The whole team played badly, not just Rankin. The so called better players under performed also

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2011, 12:11 PM
The whole team played badly, not just Rankin. The so called better players under performed also

I agree, although good players can regain form, Rankin peaked at easter road, for Hibs to go forward he's never the answer.

--------
10-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I agree, although good players can regain form, Rankin peaked at easter road, for Hibs to go forward he's never the answer.

JR's a limited player. At least he gave the effort - other more talented players signally failed to do so. It would be gracious to let the lad go without bad-mouthing him as some have. If we're going to move upwards we need players who put in the effort JR did, but with a lot more talent.

I hope he finds a club where he can keep a first-team place and do well, but IMO it will be at a lower level than Hibs should be aiming for.

Baldy Foghorn
10-03-2011, 12:40 PM
JR's a limited player. At least he gave the effort - other more talented players signally failed to do so. It would be gracious to let the lad go without bad-mouthing him as some have. If we're going to move upwards we need players who put in the effort JR did, but with a lot more talent.

I hope he finds a club where he can keep a first-team place and do well, but IMO it will be at a lower level than Hibs should be aiming for.

:agree::agree:

succintly put

The Silver Fox
10-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Although Hibs season has been very poor to say the least. They seem to have turned a corner in the past six weeks or so. Many players are now fighting for their futures. Calderwood is in a good position in that he can easily get rid of the majority of the squad. The start of next season will be very different to waht we see now.

Rankin is to go, McBride has gone, many more will follow. Calderwood has not even begun to make his mark on Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2011, 12:54 PM

Rankins talent is running about, others have different types of talent but cant run about as much as Rankin can. Its easy to say they dont put as much effort as rankin does, i'd go as far to say nobody puts as much effort in as Jimmy Scott, perhaps bar Rankin. Although i know which one i prefer.

--------
10-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Although Hibs season has been very poor to say the least. They seem to have turned a corner in the past six weeks or so. Many players are now fighting for their futures. Calderwood is in a good position in that he can easily get rid of the majority of the squad. The start of next season will be very different to waht we see now.

Rankin is to go, McBride has gone, many more will follow. Calderwood has not even begun to make his mark on Hibs.

We need a really thorough clear-out, IMO.

Ideally we should be looking to do two things - improve the level of playing ability in the squad, and improve the professional attitude in the squad.

(I know - DUH! But this is what CC and DA are apparently intending to do, having started in January.)

At Hibs we have facilities second to none in the SPL, and comparable to some of the best in the top two Leagues in England. This should give us an advantage over ALL the other SPL clubs bar the OF.

Past managers don't appear to have been able to make use of the East Mains facilities.

I hope that CC and his staff WILL make the best of the training complex, not just to train and prepare the first team, but to bring on and develop the sort of young talent we need to maintain progress as a club in Scotland and hopefully in Europe. If we can blood at least 3/4 young players a year in the first-team squad, this will take pressure off the wages budget and allow us to bring in better quality experienced players to provide the core of the team. As will (to be realistic) transfer fees when they move on towards the end of their contracts with us.

It isn't rocket-science, after all - home-grown talent mixed with talented players head-hunted from other clubs should be the default approach to team-building.

Hibernian midfield players being seen in a gym of an evening rather than in the back of a polis car in George Street in the wee small hours of the morning seems to be to be a very good sign that good things MAY be on the way.

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2011, 01:12 PM

We need a really thorough clear-out, IMO.

Ideally we should be looking to do two things - improve the level of playing ability in the squad, and improve the professional attitude in the squad.

(I know - DUH! But this is what CC and DA are apparently intending to do, having started in January.)

At Hibs we have facilities second to none in the SPL, and comparable to some of the best in the top two Leagues in England. This should give us an advantage over ALL the other SPL clubs bar the OF.

Past managers don't appear to have been able to make use of the East Mains facilities.

I hope that CC and his staff WILL make the best of the training complex, not just to train and prepare the first team, but to bring on and develop the sort of young talent we need to maintain progress as a club in Scotland and hopefully in Europe. If we can blood at least 3/4 young players a year in the first-team squad, this will take pressure off the wages budget and allow us to bring in better quality experienced players to provide the core of the team. As will (to be realistic) transfer fees when they move on towards the end of their contracts with us.

It isn't rocket-science, after all - home-grown talent mixed with talented players head-hunted from other clubs should be the default approach to team-building.

Hibernian midfield players being seen in a gym of an evening rather than in the back of a polis car in George Street in the wee small hours of the morning seems to be to be a very good sign that good things MAY be on the way.

:agree::top marks

GreenPJ
10-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Whilst I think Rankin is not the most talented midfielder we have had I think he was not a bad squad addition. Like your Liam Miller, he may well have improved a little with better players around him rather than trying to cover the entire midfield on his own which was often the occassion under Yogi.

He is going anyway so good luck to him, hope he gets himself a decent club somewhere.

hibbymark
10-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Best wishes John. I still have one of your boots that were thrown into the crowd at tannadice last season.

p.s would you like it back? Its too wee for me and when my laddie puts it on he cant seem to pass the ball back to me in my hibs top ............

IWasThere2016
10-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Best wishes John. I still have one of your boots that were thrown into the crowd at tannadice last season.

p.s would you like it back? Its too wee for me and when my laddie puts it on he cant seem to pass the ball back to me in my hibs top ............

:faf:

Re posts above - well said Doddie. CC's the man! :agree:

Shrekko
10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Rankins talent is running about, others have different types of talent but cant run about as much as Rankin can. Its easy to say they dont put as much effort as rankin does, i'd go as far to say nobody puts as much effort in as Jimmy Scott, perhaps bar Rankin. Although i know which one i prefer.

Scott is similar to Rankin in terms of his role but as well as being a slightly better footballer IMO he just seems to cover
more ground and get into better positions more quickly. You'd almost say he's like Rankin on a mot......... Let's not go there actually :wink:

sixtwo
10-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Good luck to rankin. He scored a couple of good goals for us. I'm sure e enjoyed his time with us. It never really worked out but he is good enough to have a career in the SPL or maybe league one in England. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Kilmarnock, motherwell or more likely ICT.

SanFranHibs
10-03-2011, 09:05 PM

I think you could have stopped after reference to his ability to make your point.

What a players 'look' and name have to do with their ability and utility escapes me. Unless you are into players looks that is.

And more to the point, he was Hibs class.......at the time. That was the class of player Hibs were signing. And the atmosphere of Bottom Six Dross was not confined to any one player. If an atmosphere of Bottom Six Dross was being screamed it was being 'screamed' from the terraces or from forums like this, not from a hard working professional, whatever his level of ability.

His abilities will likely prevent him signing for a top club though he may find himself signing for Top Six Dross. But perhaps he will find a club where his looks and name might be better appreciated.

Good luck to him.