PDA

View Full Version : Localised drinking ban around ER

Keith_M
09-03-2011, 09:18 AM
All the talk of drinking bans, etc, for the OF games set my memory racing. I seem to remember something like this was done for a while in Easter Road, where the pubs in the vicinity had to shut their doors at 2:30. Think it was the early 80's...

....or am I imagining this happened?

:confused:

Frazerbob
09-03-2011, 11:20 AM
All the talk of drinking bans, etc, for the OF games set my memory racing. I seem to remember something like this was done for a while in Easter Road, where the pubs in the vicinity had to shut their doors at 2:30. Think it was the early 80's...

....or am I imagining this happened?

:confused:

Sounds like you're imagination is pished mate. My family ran a pub on Leith Walk for 30 years (70's, 80's, 90's and 00's) and we certainly didn't have any local conditions like you describe. Maybe pubs in the imediate facinity like the Albion, 4 in Hand and the Nip did but I don't remember it.

joebakerforever
09-03-2011, 11:31 AM
It's about time Lothian & Borders finest followed the example of their Glasgow colleagues and enforced a ban on the OF pond life boozing al fresco, in particular Bothwell Street, before games.

It must be hell for the residents that their street becomes a drinking den and open toilet for these primitives when the Bigot Brothers are in town.

What is galling is that the cops are either invisible or just stand and watch what's going on as if they are cardboard dummies instead of paid law enforcers with a job to do :grr:

tamsonsbairn
09-03-2011, 07:19 PM
I worked in the Artisan in the 80s/90s and I dont recall ever having to close at 2.30.

Vini1875
09-03-2011, 07:28 PM
The more worrying thing though is that if I remember correctly booze was banned from inside grounds after the OF hampden pitch invasion riot - 1980 I think. So that although the authorities are starting with a clamp down on the OF it most probably be rolled out across the board, that is if anything is done at all.

gringojoe
09-03-2011, 07:30 PM
All pubs in Scotland used to shut 2.30-5.00 before the licensing laws were changed sometime in the 70's.