PDA

View Full Version : Flamini, what a fud

KiddA
09-03-2011, 02:47 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/9418672.stm

I hope someone cuts this fud in half tomorrow with a similar challenge that he did then come out in the press and say he won the ball :agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNhStAuXRwU&feature=related

MWHIBBIES
09-03-2011, 02:53 AM
Terrible tackle and should have been off but he did actualy win the ball.

THFC6061
09-03-2011, 05:36 AM
If Flamini leaves White Hart Lane tonight without the aid of crutches, I'll be bitterly disappointed.

mikey1875
09-03-2011, 06:30 AM

I hope someone cuts this fud in half tomorrow with a similar challenge that he did then come out in the press and say he won the ball :agree:

C'mon Flamini! Defoe next! :na na:

Judas Iscariot
09-03-2011, 06:59 AM
He did win the ball no?

Stevie Reid
09-03-2011, 09:26 AM
I've a lot of time for Spurs and the way they play anyway, but I've never wanted an English team to destroy their opponents as much as I do tonight.

one day maybe...
09-03-2011, 09:28 AM
I've a lot of time for Spurs and the way they play anyway, but I've never wanted an English team to destroy their opponents as much as I do tonight.

I can see Spurs ripping Milan a new one tonight, just hope that the job is done and dusted before someone nails Flamini, gonna be a great game at the Lane, c'mon the Yids. :not worth

HibbyAndy
09-03-2011, 01:22 PM
I can see Spurs ripping Milan a new one tonight, just hope that the job is done and dusted before someone nails Flamini, gonna be a great game at the Lane, c'mon the Yids. :not worth

I can see Milan winning tonight in all honesty, And Flamini will be at the heartbeat of everything key.

Speedy
09-03-2011, 01:26 PM
It was a bad tackle but I don't think his comments were that bad.

"People can say what they want but I went for the ball," Flamini told BBC Sport ahead of Wednesday's second leg.

"I'm sorry he got injured, but I don't have any regrets."

"Football is a physical game and sometimes things like that can happen," the 25-year-old stated. "I went to the dressing room after and apologised, what more can I do?

hibsbollah
09-03-2011, 01:27 PM
It was a bad tackle but I don't think his comments were that bad.

"People can say what they want but I went for the ball," Flamini told BBC Sport ahead of Wednesday's second leg.

"I'm sorry he got injured, but I don't have any regrets."

"Football is a physical game and sometimes things like that can happen," the 25-year-old stated. "I went to the dressing room after and apologised, what more can I do?

Nothing wrong with what he said:agree:

HibeeB
09-03-2011, 03:42 PM

I hope the ball is next to his tonight and somebody goes in with both feet, studs showing, in a good, solid attempt to get the ball.

Cropley10
09-03-2011, 03:43 PM
It was a foul and a red card.

Winning the ball is irrelevant, it doesn't matter, a foul is a foul, whether you happen to win the ball or not. (Ledley got sent off for the same thing, v Hertz - he won the ball too.)

This is another one of those things that lazy summarisers, pundits and ex players say on the TV and radio and people then think it's the rule.

Souness said the other day that Hutton should have been sent off v Wolves, as he was the 'last man' - you don't go sent off for being the 'last man' you get sent off for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity. And because of this people think this is the rule, last man = off; when it ain't necessarily so.

FYI

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent

Winning the ball is not part of the Laws of the Game.

A. Pedant :greenfrin:

THFC6061
09-03-2011, 03:48 PM
SPURS TEAM NEWS:

Rafa van der Vaart is available to face AC Milan in the Champions League tonight.

However, Harry Redknapp reported that Gareth Bale was 'touch and go' to start the last 16, second leg at the Lane.

Dutch maestro Rafa, 12 goals in 24 appearances this season, played an hour of our 1-0 first leg win in the San Siro on February 15 but a calf problem has ruled him out of our last two matches at Blackpool and Wolves.

"Rafa's okay," said Harry. "He trained this morning and yesterday, and worked particularly hard yesterday. He came through with no problems and he's available."

Gareth returned to action with a 20-minute stint off the bench in Sunday's draw at Wolves.

That was the Welsh flyer's first action since departing early at Newcastle with a back problem that subsequently kept him out for six weeks.

"Gareth trained this morning, his back is fine but he still felt a bit stiff in the the legs," said Harry.

"We will wait until today to see how he is. It's touch and go as to whether or not he's fit enough to start the game.

"I would love to start him and if he's fit, he's a fantastic player for us. If he's not quite right, I won't take a chance with him.

"I'm sure he's desperate to play but he won't play if he doesn't feel quite 100 per cent. It's his decision as to whether or not he feels ready. We'll have to wait and see."

Vedran 'Charlie' Corluka is also available after recovering from an ankle injury sustained in the first leg.

"Charlie is fit," added Harry. "He's fine. He's worked hard in training for the last week or two and he's available.

"I've now got to make a decision between him and Alan Hutton. We'll look at that one today.

"Charlie has worked hard with the physio and fitness coaches, he's made a good recovery and wants to play. Everyone wants to play in this game."

Ledley King (groin), Tom Huddlestone (ankle), Jonathan Woodgate (groin) and Younes Kaboul (knee) remain out.

I'd expect Harry to line-up his Spurs team tonight like this...

Gomes

Corluka - Dawson - Gallas - Assou-Ekotto

Sandro - Modric

Lennon - Van der Vaart - Bale

Crouch

Subs: Cudicini (GK), Hutton, Bassong, Jenas, Kranjcar, Defoe, Pavlyuchenko

Future17
09-03-2011, 03:54 PM
It was a foul and a red card.

Winning the ball is irrelevant, it doesn't matter, a foul is a foul, whether you happen to win the ball or not. (Ledley got sent off for the same thing, v Hertz - he won the ball too.)

This is another one of those things that lazy summarisers, pundits and ex players say on the TV and radio and people then think it's the rule.

From the previous thread about this, apparently the rule (according to FIFA) is:

"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

If that definition was strictly applied there would be 4 or more red cards per game. I agree winning the ball isn't the most relevant issue (although clearly it's not irrelevant) but I think it's all about the referee's interpretation.

But anyway, let's not let reasoned debate get in the way of some of the idiots on this thread having a pop at Flamini and hoping he suffers a serious injury. :rolleyes:

Future17
09-03-2011, 03:59 PM
I'd expect Harry to line-up his Spurs team tonight like this...

Gomes

Corluka - Dawson - Gallas - Assou-Ekotto

Sandro - Modric

Lennon - Van der Vaart - Bale

Crouch

Subs: Cudicini (GK), Hutton, Bassong, Jenas, Kranjcar, Defoe, Pavlyuchenko

I don't think Bale will start. Much better to have him coming on fresh as a substitute against a tiring, aged Milan team.

Not sure about Corluka ahead of Hutton considering Milan will likely target the wide areas. Also think Spurs will go 442 with Defoe starting.

JimBHibees
09-03-2011, 04:04 PM
I can see Milan winning tonight in all honesty, And Flamini will be at the heartbeat of everything key.

I agree. Cant abide Spurs and 'Arry so hope they get horsed.

--------
09-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Gattuso's a bit weird as well:

"Italian football journalist Gabriele Marcotti added: "Gattuso is an emotional player but after getting angry he calmed down enough to hug and kiss William Gallas and Harry Redknapp. You think he is going to calm down then he goes after Joe Jordan. Absolutely incredible."

Hugging and kissing Harry Redknapp? :wtf:

Cropley10
09-03-2011, 05:29 PM
From the previous thread about this, apparently the rule (according to FIFA) is:

"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

If that definition was strictly applied there would be 4 or more red cards per game. I agree winning the ball isn't the most relevant issue (although clearly it's not irrelevant) but I think it's all about the referee's interpretation.

But anyway, let's not let reasoned debate get in the way of some of the idiots on this thread having a pop at Flamini and hoping he suffers a serious injury. :rolleyes:

This is the definition of serious foul play. As I said winning the ball is irrelevant, the laws of the game offer no mitigation for players 'winning the ball'.

Thankfully you don't see players do what Flamini did very often, I'm not sure what you mean by 4 times a game - what he did was dangerous, he endangered the boy and used excessive force IMHO. Key here is endangered and excessive.

He's a grade a fud alright:greengrin

frazeHFC
09-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Horrible challenge, he deserves all the stick he gets tonight.

When watching that video i totally forgot that Harry and Jamie are father and son, it was only when Jamie said "well done mate" that i remembered they were.

THFC6061
09-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Fantastic result for Spurs and a personal triumph for Harry Redknapp, who has just become the first English manager to lead his team into the UEFA Champions League Quarter Finals.

Special mention for Gallas and Sandro, who were outstanding for us today.

GreenCastle
09-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Fantastic result for Spurs and a personal triumph for Harry Redknapp, who has just become the first English manager to lead his team into the UEFA Champions League Quarter Finals.

Special mention for Gallas and Sandro, who were outstanding for us today.

Spurs did enough tonight and defended well - but Milan were the better team 1st half but showed no urgency 2nd half - Italian football has really gone down hill the last few years.

Don't forget Brian Clough and Venables who have been to European Finals before - just not the renamed Champions League.

Agree Gallas played well and Sandro impressive - Seedorf did well for Milan too - the guy is a legend.

Spurs won't win it but have done well to get so far - the problem you have is getting into it next year as I think you will come 5th this season :agree:

THFC6061
10-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Spurs did enough tonight and defended well - but Milan were the better team 1st half but showed no urgency 2nd half - Italian football has really gone down hill the last few years.

Don't forget Brian Clough and Venables who have been to European Finals before - just not the renamed Champions League.

Agree Gallas played well and Sandro impressive - Seedorf did well for Milan too - the guy is a legend.

Spurs won't win it but have done well to get so far - the problem you have is getting into it next year as I think you will come 5th this season :agree:

It's been a very strange Premier League season, so I'd not rule anyone out just yet.

BTW, if a miracle happens and Spurs do win the UEFA Champions League but finish in fifth place or lower in the Premier League, the team who finish fourth in the Premier League will miss out.

England are only allowed four participants in the 2011-12 Champions League and the holders of the trophy take precidence.

Woody1985
10-03-2011, 09:09 AM
It's been a very strange Premier League season, so I'd not rule anyone out just yet.

BTW, if a miracle happens and Spurs do win the UEFA Champions League but finish in fifth place or lower in the Premier League, the team who finish fourth in the Premier League will miss out.

England are only allowed four participants in the 2011-12 Champions League and the holders of the trophy take precidence.

Were the rules changed after the Liverpool farce or were they given one off dispensation?

HibeeSince85
10-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Were the rules changed after the Liverpool farce or were they given one off dispensation?

Sure they said on the telly last night that the winners don't automatically qualify for the following seasons tournament.

MountcastleHibs
10-03-2011, 09:51 AM

I'm sure that after the Liverpool farce, UEFA clarified the rules and the winners do not get precedence. Therefore IF Spurs do win it, but finish 5th Premier League they only qualify for the Europa League, not the Champions League.

HNA8
10-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm sure that after the Liverpool farce, UEFA clarified the rules and the winners do not get precedence. Therefore IF Spurs do win it, but finish 5th Premier League they only qualify for the Europa League, not the Champions League.

Wrong way round - CL winners will always qualify - fourth place would get bumped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C._Champions_League_qualification_2005 %E2%80%9306#Repercussions

MountcastleHibs
10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Wrong way round - CL winners will always qualify - fourth place would get bumped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C._Champions_League_qualification_2005 %E2%80%9306#Repercussions

My apologies. Memory obviously failing me..

Hamish
10-03-2011, 11:07 AM

:na na:

--------
10-03-2011, 12:16 PM

:na na:

:aok: Me too, Hamish.

Always preferred Spurs to Arsenal, about time the nice guys got a wee bit to shout about.

Arsenal - BIG TEAM, Spurs - WEE TEAM.

No brainer, really. :thumbsup:

Bristolhibby
10-03-2011, 12:28 PM
My in-laws down here are Yiddos, with my borther-in-law a season ticket holder at the Lane.

Been to a few games with him, my last game was the defeat win the FA Cup Semi-final at Wembley last season to Portsmouth.

Spurs are my English team, always like them to do well, however I do not share their hatred for Arsenal.

J

--------
10-03-2011, 12:40 PM
My in-laws down here are Yiddos, with my borther-in-law a season ticket holder at the Lane.

Been to a few games with him, my last game was the defeat win the FA Cup Semi-final at Wembley last season to Portsmouth.

Spurs are my English team, always like them to do well, however I do not share their hatred for Arsenal.

J

Nor do I. :confused:

But Wenger I DON'T like - I can't remember him giving a realistic post-match reaction in the last 3/4 seasons, and the Barca game was a spectacular case in point - 'hypocrisy' might be too strong a word for his attitude, but it's the one that springs to my mind too often, I.m afraid.

I also begin to wonder how long the board's patience will last - 6 years now without a trophy, and the chances for THIS season shrinking by the day...

Great players, great stadium, strong financial backing, huge support - no gongs, no silverware. Something has to give sooner or later.

And I can't believe that no one down the Emirates is asking why they keep signing wonky keepers and flaky centre-backs?

lapsedhibee
10-03-2011, 01:00 PM
And I can't believe that no one down the Emirates is asking why they keep signing wonky keepers and flaky centre-backs?

Think the goalie problem is perhaps overstated. The third choice keeper who came on against Barca did ok. Think they would have won the EPL this year if their three best players - Fabregas, Van Persie and Vermaelen - had all played more games. They haven't had the strength in depth to cope with the frequent/continued absences of those three.

In the time period you mention, they've also perhaps been a bit statistically unlucky to have come up against Barcelona so often in the CL.

--------
10-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Think the goalie problem is perhaps overstated. The third choice keeper who came on against Barca did ok. Think they would have won the EPL this year if their three best players - Fabregas, Van Persie and Vermaelen - had all played more games. They haven't had the strength in depth to cope with the frequent/continued absences of those three.

In the time period you mention, they've also perhaps been a bit statistically unlucky to have come up against Barcelona so often in the CL.

Well, Wenger should have worked out how to play them by now... :devil:

It may be goalkeeper, it may be back-four at the root of the defensive problems. But good luck or bad, someone in the boardroom MUST be asking if they shouldn't maybe ditch the skipper soon.

Future17
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
This is the definition of serious foul play. As I said winning the ball is irrelevant, the laws of the game offer no mitigation for players 'winning the ball'.

Thankfully you don't see players do what Flamini did very often, I'm not sure what you mean by 4 times a game - what he did was dangerous, he endangered the boy and used excessive force IMHO. Key here is endangered and excessive.

He's a grade a fud alright:greengrin

It's not irrelevant in the assessment of what is a bad tackle though is it?

It doesn't matter whether players do what Flamini did - if you are agreeing that "any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play" is the correct definition, then, strictly applied, there would be a lot more red cards than are presently shown.

On a side note, the laws of the game are in serious need of review in terms of the reasons cards are shown generally.

Consider that Crouch conceded 10 fouls last night but wasn't booked, whereas Pato was booked (having not committed a foul) for not being 10 yards away when Spurs took a free kick. What a shambles.

HibbyAndy
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM

It doesn't matter whether players do what Flamini did - if you are agreeing that "any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play" is the correct definition, then, strictly applied, there would be a lot more red cards than are presently shown.

On a side note, the laws of the game are in serious need of review in terms of the reasons cards are shown generally.

Consider that Crouch conceded 10 fouls last night but wasn't booked, whereas Pato was booked (having not committed a foul) for not being 10 yards away when Spurs took a free kick. What a shambles.

He was shocking last night :agree: CONSTANTLY clambering over players then throwing his arms up asking why he was giving away a foul..

easty
10-03-2011, 03:37 PM

Naw...there wouldnae. There are lots of hard but fair tackles in games every week, of course you get bad tackles as well but not all the time. To suggest there would be 4 or more red cards a game is nowt short of total baws.

Flamini's tackle was not the sort of thing you see "4 or more" times per game, it was a terrible tackle and he knew it, if he didn't then he's even more of a daft cheese eating surrender monkey than I thought.

Hamish
10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
:aok: Me too, Hamish.

Always preferred Spurs to Arsenal, about time the nice guys got a wee bit to shout about.

Arsenal - BIG TEAM, Spurs - WEE TEAM.

No brainer, really. :thumbsup:

:top marks that's the way I have always seen it. Arsenal are the ''establishment'' team.

Future17
11-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Naw...there wouldnae. There are lots of hard but fair tackles in games every week, of course you get bad tackles as well but not all the time. To suggest there would be 4 or more red cards a game is nowt short of total baws.

Flamini's tackle was not the sort of thing you see "4 or more" times per game, it was a terrible tackle and he knew it, if he didn't then he's even more of a daft cheese eating surrender monkey than I thought.

Not you again!! :wink:

My point is that, by that definition there would be plenty tackles that merited red cards. I don't think there can really be a strict defintion of what merits a red card. "Hard but fair tackles" could be considered serious foul play if they met that description.

I think it comes down, mainly, to the referee's interpretation of the incident. For example, was the player in control of the tackle, was there intent to injure the opponent, was the player attempting to play the ball etc.

--------
11-03-2011, 01:14 PM
He was shocking last night :agree: CONSTANTLY clambering over players then throwing his arms up asking why he was giving away a foul..

:agree:

My wee wife was sitting watching it with me - about half-way through the second half (as the referee was yet again awarding a free-kick against him) she piped up with "That big lanky guy's pretty thick, isn't he?"

And the next time it was, "Does he always fall all over the other players like that?"

If SWMBO noticed it, a blind man in a coalmine would have noticed it. I know why Redknapp plays Crouch, but I'd much rather watch Defoe or Pavlyuchenko.

:top marks that's the way I have always seen it. Arsenal are the ''establishment'' team.

And I believe rather favoured among the Hunnish community, too.

I used not to mind them, though, but Wenger's arrogance and dishonesty turned me off a long time ago. Men like McCarthy and Holloway (and Redknapp, IMO) I can listen to - what they say relates to what happens on the field and they even give the opposition some credit once in a while.

Wenger and Ferguson (AND Ferguson's talking head / ventriloquist's dummy) do my head in.

HibsMax
11-03-2011, 02:18 PM

I watched that video a few times and although he lunges in with two feet it didn't look as bad as I thought it was going to be. I've seen much, much worse. That doesn't make this any better of course, but I was expecting something out of a Saw movie.

Future17
11-03-2011, 02:26 PM
I watched that video a few times and although he lunges in with two feet it didn't look as bad as I thought it was going to be. I've seen much, much worse. That doesn't make this any better of course, but I was expecting something out of a Saw movie.

--------
11-03-2011, 02:27 PM

He caught the foot that wasn't bearing Corluka's weight.

If he'd got Corluka's standing foot, it could (would!) have done major damage.

As it was, he had both feet off the ground, all his studs showing, and he did damage. Red card IMO, no argument.

Hamish
11-03-2011, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=Doddie;2756360]:agree:

My wee wife was sitting watching it with me - about half-way through the second half (as the referee was yet again awarding a free-kick against him) she piped up with "That big lanky guy's pretty thick, isn't he?"

And the next time it was, "Does he always fall all over the other players like that?"

If SWMBO noticed it, a blind man in a coalmine would have noticed it. I know why Redknapp plays Crouch, but I'd much rather watch Defoe or Pavlyuchenko.

I agree he commits a lot of ''fouls'', but I think he gets a raw deal from the refs - central defenders watch for him coming and deliberately back into him and 8/10 he gets fouls against him. Mixu was the same when he played for Hibs (and probably Aberdeen and United, though I wasn't really caring at those times!!)

Crouchy's not as daft as he looks - best comment was when he was asked what he would be if he wasn't a footballer

His answer ? - A virgin

THFC6061
11-03-2011, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=Doddie;2756360]:agree:

I agree he commits a lot of ''fouls'', but I think he gets a raw deal from the refs - central defenders watch for him coming and deliberately back into him and 8/10 he gets fouls against him. Mixu was the same when he played for Hibs (and probably Aberdeen and United, though I wasn't really caring at those times!!)

Crouchy's not as daft as he looks - best comment was when he was asked what he would be if he wasn't a footballer

His answer ? - A virgin

Here's why Harry plays Crouchie...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jyarden/2011/4475-2.png

--------
11-03-2011, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=Hamish;2756440]

Here's why Harry plays Crouchie...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jyarden/2011/4475-2.png

I know he's effective - I'd just rather watch Defoe...

Iggy Pope
11-03-2011, 07:01 PM

And I believe rather favoured among the Hunnish community, too.I used not to mind them, though, but Wenger's arrogance and dishonesty turned me off a long time ago. Men like McCarthy and Holloway (and Redknapp, IMO) I can listen to - what they say relates to what happens on the field and they even give the opposition some credit once in a while.

Wenger and Ferguson (AND Ferguson's talking head / ventriloquist's dummy) do my head in.

Garbage. I've read some crap on here but this takes the Club Fruit.
If you had said Irish I might have agreed. Arsenal are the team for North London Irish. Always have been and always will be. Miles away from being Huns.

A great club to visit (IMO and talking from experience) and a marvellous side to watch.

AMAZED that you cite Wenger's 'dishonesty' while lauding a crook like Redknapp.

Wenger has more football in his erse than you have in your head.

E.T. is a Hibee
11-03-2011, 07:30 PM
If you had said Irish I might have agreed. Arsenal are the team for North London Irish. Always have been and always will be. Miles away from being Huns.

A great club to visit (IMO and talking from experience) and a marvellous side to watch.

Well said, your wasting you time though!
:top marks

Cropley10
11-03-2011, 09:08 PM

Not sure we're on the same page here. The Laws of the Game don't allow for winning the ball as mitigation for using excessive force or endangering the safety of another player. In other words if you steam in and break someone's leg BUT you win the ball it doesnae matter.

Think the key word is 'lunge' - no doubt in my mind, that Flamini 'lunged'... not every tackles, from any direction is a lunge, nor excessive, nor dangerous.

I'd be interested to know where you think players lunging in with excessive force or endangering player safety is going unpunished. Like I said Ledley got a red card for his tackle on Black - as it was deemed 'excessive' and 'dangerous'.

greenlad
11-03-2011, 10:31 PM

Rangers have owned shares in Arsenal since 1910 and the two clubs historically had a very close relationship, certainly at Boardroom level, playing friendlies almost annually at both Ibrox and Highbury for decades until crowd disorder put an end to it in the 60s. Both do see themselves as Establishment clubs and both took pride in their classic artdeco main stands and marble staircases etc and saw themslves as likeminded traditionalists upholding their principles amid modernity around them. Arsenal do (well, used to) sign Irishmen however.

Rangers can't travel to too many English grounds and have the welcome that was laid on for them at the Emirates last summer.

Iggy Pope
12-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Rangers have owned shares in Arsenal since 1910 and the two clubs historically had a very close relationship, certainly at Boardroom level, playing friendlies almost annually at both Ibrox and Highbury for decades until crowd disorder put an end to it in the 60s. Both do see themselves as Establishment clubs and both took pride in their classic artdeco main stands and marble staircases etc and saw themslves as likeminded traditionalists upholding their principles amid modernity around them. Arsenal do (well, used to) sign Irishmen however.

Rangers can't travel to too many English grounds and have the welcome that was laid on for them at the Emirates last summer.

Not sure about how you could back up Rangers' shareholding with evidence of that, but Arsenal won't have had much control over who purchases shares.
The question would be was it reciprocated?

Maybe they had a historical friendship at Boardroom level. So did Churchill, Hitler and Stalin.
All three went about their business a bit differently though.

Arsenal are a traditional club and are well known for doing things properly and treating guests well.
The traditions they uphold though are vastly different from those held by Rangers up until not long ago.
They are not 'likeminded' simply because they took pride in their building, this being the one thing that Rangers did right in all of their tarnished existence.

Arsenal are not 'Hunnish'. Fact. And a quite ridiculous statement for the previous poster to have made.

FromTheCapital
12-03-2011, 09:00 AM
How can people say that wasn't a bad tackle...:crazy:

It was a shocking tackle...High and two footed, Horrible...:coffee:

If a Hearts player did the same tackle as that on a Hibs player,
Everyone would be on here saying it was a shocker and they know it...:rolleyes:

THFC6061
12-03-2011, 11:48 AM

Actually, Rangers were one of the first clubs Tottenham Hotspur played in a European competition.

For years afterwards, Spurs always used to play a pre-season friendly at Ibrox.

And ENIC, the company which now owns Tottenham Hotspur, used to have a substantial interest in Rangers, as well as several other European clubs, before UEFA regulations prohibited multiple ownerships.

--------
12-03-2011, 12:57 PM

OK - when was the last time admitted seeing an Arsenal player committing a foul? He a more controlled version of Alex Ferguson - everyone's against him and his players, te referee never gives anything to Arsenal, there's a conspiracy among the authorities to deprive him of his just rewards, everyone's a cheat but him and his players.

I was actually referring to post-match interviews, nothing else - Wenger's are hardly honest or forthright; he's become proverbial for the "I did not see it" response whenever he's asked about any decision going in favour of an Arsenal player, and he rarely if ever gives credit where due to the opposition.

And perhaps if you READ what I said, you'll realise that I said that Arsenal are popular among the Huns - not that the Huns are popular among the Arsenal fans. Or that the Arsenal fans ARE Huns.

Totally agree - a marvellous side to watch - when they're on song, which is most days. Just as long as you tune out the Whinger in the post-match.

Of course Redknapp's honesty off-field's way open to question - I was simply referring to the two men's responses after matches. Redknapp at least appears to be talking about the game that's just finished. Wenger's tantrums after the Barca game were cringeworthy. He'd have defended Ted Bundy if Bundy had worn an Arsenal shirt in action.

As for your last sentence, I hope he has - he's the manager of Arsenal Football Club, after all.