PDA

View Full Version : Canon Hannan Bust

Boris
08-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Apologies if anything has been posted earlier but I hear that arrangements have at last been made for the club to accept the commisssioned bust of Canon Hannan which is currently on display in the Supporters's Club in Sunnyside. I understand that the bust will be formally presented to the club a week on Friday. I have had no involvement with the commissioning of the bust but I was directly involved with restoring Canon Hannan's memorial at his graveside in the Grange Cemetery a few years back & I think the bust is a magnificent piece of work.

I also understand that the same people behind the Hannan bust will now try to raise the funds to commission a similar bust of co-founder & first captain, Michael Whelehan & that a fund-raising function will take place in the Supporters' Club two weeks on Friday.

Perhaps someone from the St Patrick's branch could come on & post details of both events & the availability of tickets for the Whelehan event at the Supporters' Club, which I believe may be on sale from the club at Sunnyside?

Green_one
08-03-2011, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=Boris;2754373]Apologies if anything has been posted earlier but I hear that arrangements have at last been made for the club to accept the commisssioned bust of Canon Hannan which is currently on display in the Supporters's Club in Sunnyside.
I also understand that the same people behind the Hannan bust will now try to raise the funds to commission a similar bust of co-founder & first captain, Michael Whelehan & that a fund-raising function will take place in the Supporters' Club two weeks on Friday.
QUOTE]

Will there be an facility to just make a donation? I am sure some, like myself, would be happy just to provide a contrabution without attending the fundraiser.:flag:

St Pats Branch
08-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Boris, it's worth mentioning St Patricks branch had nothing to do with the CH bust. I believe it was a stand alone committee, most of whom belong to St. Pauls branch, although maybe someone can confirm this.
It's obviously something we'd like to be involved in as 'St Pats branch' but we can't take any credit for the good work others have done in the fundraising and organising.

We have taken an allocation of tickets to sell for the event ( a week on Friday I think ) but I will find out the full details and post them here. More tickets will be available from the hibs club I assume.

Also I might be wrong but I think the bust currently at sunnyside is a copy which will stay there and the proper bronze cast version will be given to Hibs for displaying at the stadium, again someone can maybe confirm this.

I think someone called 'big mo', or might have been 'wee mo', posts on here and was one of the committee members.

big-mo
09-03-2011, 08:00 PM
This is just an update on the Canon Edward Joseph Hannan bronze bust.

The head and shoulders bust of Canon Hannan was commissioned by the St Paul’s branch of the Hibs Supports Association, Gordon McCabe and Frank Dougan.
The bust was sculpted by a very talented Hibs fan and was cast in bronze; it is life size and mounted on a piece of marble which formed part of the original alter in St Patrick’s Church in the Cowgate, the birth place of Hibernian Football Club. It is currently, temporarily, on display in the supporters club.

The bust is to be presented to Hibernian Football Club on the 18th March and will be displayed on a plinth in the main reception area in the West Stand until the end of the season, it will then be placed in the director’s lounge where, along with hundreds of other pieces of Hibernian artefacts, will be displayed and able to be viewed during stadium tours.

A copy of the original bust is also being cast and will be displayed in the Hibs Supporters Club.

St Paul’s branch, the directors of the football club and Sir Tom are all keen that a bust is sculpted of Michael Whelehan, co-founder of the club and Hibs first team captain. This second bust is currently in the process of being sculpted and will, once cast, be presented to the football club to sit alongside Canon Hannan in the ‘Hibs Museum’.

As you may have guessed, these busts do not come cheap and while the original bust has been paid for out of funds raised at various events, it is now time to raise the money for the Michael Whelehan bust. If you wish to donate to this venture, there are a number of ways in doing so:

There will be a donation slot in the plinth below the Canon Hannan bust while it sits in the reception area on the stadium.

There will be a number of functions to help raise funds; these include a St Patrick’s night céilidh in the Hibs Supporters Club, Sunnyside on the 18th March. Tickets are only £4 a head and a great night is guaranteed. Tickets are available from the club rooms behind the bar or from members of the St Paul’s branch committee.

You can also send donations to Frank Dougan c/o The Hibs Supports Club, Sunnyside, Edinburgh. Donations can also be left behind the bar in a sealed envelope and marked for Frank’s attention.

The fund raising committee would like to thank everyone who has already contributed to the original and the current ventures.

The Harp Awakes
09-03-2011, 08:40 PM

The head and shoulders bust of Canon Hannan was commissioned by the St Paul’s branch of the Hibs Supports Association, Gordon McCabe and Frank Dougan.
The bust was sculpted by a very talented Hibs fan and was cast in bronze; it is life size and mounted on a piece of marble which formed part of the original alter in St Patrick’s Church in the Cowgate, the birth place of Hibernian Football Club. It is currently, temporarily, on display in the supporters club.

The bust is to be presented to Hibernian Football Club on the 18th March and will be displayed on a plinth in the main reception area in the West Stand until the end of the season, it will then be placed in the director’s lounge where, along with hundreds of other pieces of Hibernian artefacts, will be displayed and able to be viewed during stadium tours.

A copy of the original bust is also being cast and will be displayed in the Hibs Supporters Club.

St Paul’s branch, the directors of the football club and Sir Tom are all keen that a bust is sculpted of Michael Whelehan, co-founder of the club and Hibs first team captain. This second bust is currently in the process of being sculpted and will, once cast, be presented to the football club to sit alongside Canon Hannan in the ‘Hibs Museum’.

As you may have guessed, these busts do not come cheap and while the original bust has been paid for out of funds raised at various events, it is now time to raise the money for the Michael Whelehan bust. If you wish to donate to this venture, there are a number of ways in doing so:

There will be a donation slot in the plinth below the Canon Hannan bust while it sits in the reception area on the stadium.

There will be a number of functions to help raise funds; these include a St Patrick’s night céilidh in the Hibs Supporters Club, Sunnyside on the 18th March. Tickets are only £4 a head and a great night is guaranteed. Tickets are available from the club rooms behind the bar or from members of the St Paul’s branch committee.

You can also send donations to Frank Dougan c/o The Hibs Supports Club, Sunnyside, Edinburgh. Donations can also be left behind the bar in a sealed envelope and marked for Frank’s attention.

The fund raising committee would like to thank everyone who has already contributed to the original and the current ventures.

Thanks for the update big-mo.

A very worthy cause indeed.

St Pats Branch
09-03-2011, 10:49 PM

Great Stuff Mo!!!

Hopefully meet you on the 18th!

big-mo
11-03-2011, 09:57 AM

Just to give credit to the others involved, they were -
Ian Hollingsdale, Derek Hollingsdale, Alex Donleavy and Jake McCabe, they all deserve credit for a great effort.

RickyS
15-03-2011, 11:52 AM
is there any update on the press release or the handover date?

big-mo
22-03-2011, 02:54 PM
The bust was handed over on Friday, the story and pictures should be in the Evening News and on the Official web-site on Wednesday.

Stevie Reid
22-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Saw the bust when I was outide the West last night, looks great.

Jamesie
22-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Here's a photo I took this morning on my phone camera which doesn't really do it justice - pretty impressive :thumbsup:

RickyS
23-03-2011, 04:38 PM
The bust was handed over on Friday, the story and pictures should be in the Evening News and on the Official web-site on Wednesday.

nothing in todays paper that i could see

big-mo
24-03-2011, 03:54 PM
The story and photo is in tonight's EEN
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Canon-who-shot-to-fame.6739659.jp
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/CustomPages/CustomPage.aspx?PageID=81147

Also on the official site
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110324/historical-figure-recognised_2262950_2323381

RickyS
08-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Just to give credit to the others involved, they were -
Ian Hollingsdale, Derek Hollingsdale, Alex Donleavy and Jake McCabe, they all deserve credit for a great effort.

just wondering if there is any update on the possible dates for the hand over of the Michael Whelehan bust?

big-mo
09-07-2011, 09:09 AM
just wondering if there is any update on the possible dates for the hand over of the Michael Whelehan bust?

The MW bust is still being worked on and is not yet ready to be cast. Before it can be cast the remaining money will have to be raised.
I am not sure what events are currently being organised but hopefully one of the fund-raising committee will come on with the itinerary.

RickyS
09-07-2011, 12:00 PM
The MW bust is still being worked on and is not yet ready to be cast. Before it can be cast the remaining money will have to be raised.
I am not sure what events are currently being organised but hopefully one of the fund-raising committee will come on with the itinerary.

thanks for that, obviously keep us posted on fundraising ventures.