PDA

View Full Version : My favourite visit to Hampden

hibs0666
08-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Not seen this game up on here lately, and is an under-rated classic. The Hibs support made me proud that night, with bedlam at de Boer's miss.

Colin Murdock football hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zH7-YUWgY4&NR=1)

Shame about the final right enough. :wink:

scott7_0(Prague)
08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Not seen this game up on here lately, and is an under-rated classic. The Hibs support made me proud that night, with bedlam at de Boer's miss.

Colin Murdock football hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zH7-YUWgY4&NR=1)

Shame about the final right enough. :wink:

CONFUSED.COM

You favor a semi final win over a cup final win. :confused:

hibs0666
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
CONFUSED.COM

Yup - was great to see a team of talented, but no-hoper, wee laddies pump the huns. And to do it in such a nail-biting way was just one stop short of an orgy with the girls of Playboy Mansion. :wink:

duffers
08-03-2011, 12:41 PM
CONFUSED.COM

I actually think I preffered the semi final aswell. The atmosphere was unreal! ( Not saying singing sunshine on leith after we won was bad :wink:). But personally, It was one of my favourite ever hibs games. Always remember Andersons save!! What a night :agree:

hibs0666
08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I actually think I preffered the semi final aswell. The atmosphere was unreal! ( Not saying singing sunshine on leith after we won was bad :wink:). But personally, It was one of my favourite ever hibs games. Always remember Andersons save!! What a night :agree:

Amen to that Brother.

I guess the fact that my bairn was born in the early hours that day, and somehow my missus still let me go to the game (and wet the bairns heid), added to the fond memory. :thumbsup:

Famous Fiver
08-03-2011, 01:01 PM
One of THE great nights.

Right up there with Barcelona, Real Madrid, Napoli etc.

Only 6,000 of us there but we made a right noise, no singing section that night, we ALL bellowed all the way through.

Penalty shoot out was something else.

LancashireHibby
08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Remember watching that game on Channel 5 and going mental at Andersson's save. Shame about the final (which was my first Hibs game in Scotland if memory serves me right).

One of my favourite Hibs tops as well.

easty
08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
CONFUSED.COM

Has 'confused.com' really joined 'simples' as an acceptable thing for people to use in conversation? :confused:

:despairing smilie:

scott7_0(Prague)
08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Has 'confused.com' really joined 'simples' as an acceptable thing for people to use in conversation? :confused:

:despairing smilie:

So young and so naive - :greengrin

Let me have my fun, 'simples' .......... :wink:

Removed
08-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Under 19's cup win at Hampden was a great night :scarf: Just as enjoyable as the semi in the OP

Dr_Regal
08-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Goosebumps, that night was unbelievable, just rmember the noise from the hibs support. I thought there was 7,500 or something there. We all rushed to the bottom of the stand and it was absolute bedlum.

I have tried to erase the final from my memory. Classic hibs.

6-2 was the best game Ive ever been to, but that semi was a close second.

hibsbollah
08-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Remember it well. Didnt Ricksen smash his elbow into Deek's face off the ball 2nd half? Or was that another game?

.Sean.
08-03-2011, 02:56 PM
That semi win is the best Hibs win i've experienced, i'd only have been around 13 at the time. Got the full match on an old video, i'm positive. Don't however have a video player!

Saorsa
08-03-2011, 03:19 PM
That was a great game tae be at, great atmosphere created by the Hibs fans at that game. My favourite visit tae Hampden though is still the final against Dunfermline. :agree: and it will likely remain so until we win that other cup.

JimBHibees
08-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Remember it well. Didnt Ricksen smash his elbow into Deek's face off the ball 2nd half? Or was that another game?

Same game. Typically missed by the officials on the night.

hibsbollah
08-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Same game. Typically missed by the officials on the night.

I remember it being brutal, amazed he didnt break his nose.

hibs0666
08-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I remember it being brutal, amazed he didnt break his nose.

I didn't see it at the game but you could see from the telly that it was a right sleekit hit.

SteveHFC
08-03-2011, 11:16 PM
What a night that was. I was only about 11 at the time.

Colin Murdock :not worth

jane_says
08-03-2011, 11:24 PM
think i preferred this to the final win as well, atmosphere was one of the best i've ever been at, everyone was belting out the songs for the whole game and when dobbie scored...brilliant

remember getting home at ten to 2 in the morning and getting up at 7 for the train to school, great memories

Peevemor
09-03-2011, 12:11 AM
That was a great game tae be at, great atmosphere created by the Hibs fans at that game. My favourite visit tae Hampden though is still the final against Dunfermline. :agree: and it will likely remain so until we win that other cup.

I was too uptight to really enjoy that game, however the semi against the huns in that cup run (Keith, Keith, Keith...) is my favourite hampden visit.

Calvin
09-03-2011, 05:29 AM
That semi win is the best Hibs win i've experienced, i'd only have been around 13 at the time. Got the full match on an old video, i'm positive. Don't however have a video player!

Same here. I think it was the first Hibs win I'd ever been totally joyous about. I was at the 6-2 game but it was only my second ever Hibs game and being 9 years old I didn't fully appreciate the magnitude of the result, whereas by this point I was a fully fledged Hibee and the circumstances of that night made it one of the occasions that we still frequently talk about today.

Wakeyhibee
09-03-2011, 06:52 AM
I was too uptight to really enjoy that game, however the semi against the huns in that cup run (Keith, Keith, Keith...) is my favourite hampden visit.

:agree: my best memory also Rangers were in the middle of their 9 in a row and the squad was full of internationals IIRC, never expected anything out of that game and Budgie nearly gave me a heart attack dropping the ball on the line :greengrin. Mickey Weirs pass/cross to Keith seemed to last for ages.

Ray_
09-03-2011, 07:27 AM
December 1972, spent the week in London & Manchester & got the early train from Manchester to Edinburgh, don't know what happened, as the train journey was taken hours & we were stopping at all the little stations, that I'd never even heard of. It got past two & I thought I'd have no chance of getting to the game, then we stopped at Glasgow.

Second choice has to be the Scottish Cup Semi replay, earlier that year, we had been so unlucky, at the same stage, the previous season & it showed Hibs as genuine contenders.

richard_pitts
09-03-2011, 07:52 AM
think i preferred this to the final win as well, atmosphere was one of the best i've ever been at, everyone was belting out the songs for the whole game and when dobbie scored...brilliant

remember getting home at ten to 2 in the morning and getting up at 7 for the train to school, great memories

I was in the press box with the official site and trying to appear "neutral" was painful. Stuart Crowther and I just lost it when DeBoer missed through :greengrin

Oh, and I was sitting next to a Rangers PR person before the game and at half-time who was a horrible bigoted woman who seemed to regard Rangers as on a par with Man United and predicted 3-0 to Rangers "easy". You should have seen her face when I said my question to McLeish in the post-match conference was going to be: "So...Alex...Does the expression get it right round you, ya ginger judas pr*ck mean anything to you at this point?":na na:

Dobbie's goal was fantastic and Daniel Andersson was outstanding - superb game and completely unexpected which is what made it all the more special.

Finished writing the Hibs.net report at 3am and went to work in Falkirk (little Rangers-ville) at 7am wearing a Hibs scarf. Got some serious abuse :greengrin

Steve-O
09-03-2011, 08:54 AM
T'was a cracker :agree:

Was still a student at the time so was able to stay the night in Glasgow then head out after the game to some student club and get absolutely rattled on 1 quid drinks :greengrin

Megabus back to Edinburgh the next day was NOT fun :rolleyes:

bawheid
09-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Fabulous night. Made all the better by the fact I gave a hun mate (oxymoron, I know) a lift through and back.

I think my favourite games away from Easter Road rank:

CIS final 2007
Millenium Derby
Huns 3-0 in the Cup
CIS semi 2004

Pretty Boy
09-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Brilliant game, about 7000 of us outsung the huns for the whole game. Remember a huge sarcastic cheer go up when the huns finally came to life for a few seconds just before extra time started.

The guy in front of me didn't watch any of the shoot out just watched my reaction and took it from there. Remember Anderson making a save in the shoot out to keep us in it then De Boer missing.

Amazing atmosphere.

yekimevol
09-03-2011, 07:03 PM
that was the best trip to hampden. the place was rocking !!!

but surely it was anderssons night he saved what 3 maybe 4 pens that night and a few more saves that buffon or schmeichel would have been proud of

:hibees:hibees:hibees

hibbysam
10-03-2011, 01:03 AM
I remember sitting on the stairway when they had the penalty to win it.. head in hands drowning my sorrows thinking we were out.. step up Mr Andersson yet again to keep us going.. Magnificent atmosphere from not many Hibby's.. needless to say a whole lot more managed to find there way through for the final.. seeing all them young laddies limping about trying to celebrate knowing they had run themselves into the ground.. they hadn't quite realised themselves what they had done running about like headless chicken not knowing where to celebrate!

Must say I enjoyed the 2007 final more just because there were less nerves and there was a huge reward at the end.. oh and the SOL was just the best atmosphere i think ive ever witnessed in any stadium! The cheer as it came on the tannoy was eye watering! but that night in 2004 is one that made the "golden generation".. they became men that night and it was up there with one of the best nights as a hibby:thumbsup:

Bristolhibby
10-03-2011, 09:37 AM
2007 was the best because we won it.

But the 2004 semi against the Huns was mental!

Flew up from Bristol on the 0700 flight, brought my mate to his first Hibs game.

Met my cousin, and headed into the snooker hall in Morningside for some early morning drinks.

Met up with a bunch of my cousins Hibbie bam mates at Haymarket and headed through on the coachto the Weedge.

Went into a Celtic pub, and started on pints with double voddie irn-bru chasers, lots of singing, shouting and arm-wrestling. Then off to the game.

Incredible game, the penalties was amazing. Quick kip on the bus then off night clubbing when we got back to Edina.

Woke up the next day with a pounding head and very little sleep.

What a day!

J

Eggchaser
10-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I've only ever seen Hibs win at Hampden once when i was 12 at the dunfermline final. Have about 5 defeats alongside it. Bad record.

Also saw Mccoist score the header which meant we would definitely be going to Euro 96. Which was nice.

Baldy Foghorn
10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Best visits for me:

1991 Final v Pars
2007 Final v Killie
U2 amazing

Edina Erin
10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Best visits for me:

1991 Final v Pars
2007 Final v Killie
U2 amazing

I'd put the 1991 semi against the stickys ahead of U2.
Scotland beating France 2-0 in 1989 was a special night too.

Eggchaser
10-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I've only ever seen Hibs win at Hampden once when i was 12 at the dunfermline final. Have about 5 defeats alongside it. Bad record.

Also saw Mccoist score the header which meant we would definitely be going to Euro 96. Which was nice.

I forgot AC/DC in 2009. Outstanding.

pozbaird
10-03-2011, 02:29 PM
The 1987 Scottish Cup Semi Final 2-1 v some hatchet men from Gorgie.
The 1987 Scottish Cup Final 1-0 v UEFA Cup finalists Dundee United.
The Bruce Springsteen gig last summer.

Worst visit? The League Cup Final last season. 1-0 loss to the 9-man blue bigots. Pathetic surrender from my 11 man team, and the world's most stubbornly defensive manager ever... Gus MacPherson. Still have nightmares about it, wondering why, oh why, didn't Wee Angus tell them to simply pass it about for the last 12 minutes, use the two man (yes, TWO man) advantage to grind the bassturts into the dirt, tire them out, and take them in extra time. No, not us. We actually contrive to lose the final 1-0, with a 3 on 2 breakaway from 9 men against 11. People always ask me why we got rid of Gus, saying that he was doing a good job. Simple question back - if he was that bloody good, how come he doesn't have a gig yet? It's not like there haven't been gigs available. Killie fer' Chrissakes... he was a hero down there for the '96 cup win. Aberdeen, Ross County, Hibs... right, I'll call it quits on that note!

Sorry for mentioning the 1987 Scottish Cup Final. You know, seeing a St Mirren captain lift the cup. Ahem. :wink:

Sammy7nil
10-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Fabulous night. Made all the better by the fact I gave a hun mate (oxymoron, I know) a lift through and back.

I think my favourite games away from Easter Road rank:

CIS final 2007
Millenium Derby
Huns 3-0 in the Cup
CIS semi 2004

Was at ALL of them :greengrin:greengrin GREAT STUFF

hibby al
10-03-2011, 06:38 PM
at all three league cup wins each special in their own way for different reasons 1972 1st major win outclassing a great celtic side. 1991 post mercer enough said.but 2007 wins because i was there with my kids and it was their 1972.

best with scotland 1973 vs czechs joe jordans winner even won sweep on the bus for guessing
the time of first goal which sadly was against us.:wink:

Removed
10-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I forgot AC/DC in 2009. Outstanding.

:agree: brilliant gig

iwasthere1972
11-03-2011, 09:06 AM
1972. 2-1 win against Celtic in League Cup Final.

1973. 2-1 win in World Cup qualifier against Czechoslovakia.

2007. 5-1 hammering of Killie in CIS Cup Final.

Not necessarily in that order and the best is yet to come....hopefully soon.