PDA

View Full Version : Statue at Easter Road!

billbee
07-03-2011, 07:33 PM
If Hibs were to erect a statue outside ER, what player, manager or chairman! would you like to see?

Think I'd go for Joe Baker ! :agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
07-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Peter Guggi :agree:

Haymaker
07-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Matty Jack, a true legend who defined a role on the football field.

frazeHFC
07-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Alan O'Brien :thumbsup:

I think if they made a statue of the Famous Five it would be smart. Or even just one of them, such as Lawrie Reilly.

HibeeMackenzie
07-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Albert Kidd :not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

St Pats Branch
07-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Cannon Edward Joseph Hannan
And
Michael Whelehan

billbee
07-03-2011, 07:44 PM
And
Michael Whelehan

Thats a good One St Pats

Purple & Green
07-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Willie McCartney - the architect of the greatest team and era in the clubs history.

If it was to be a player then Stanton or Smith.

However if our owner could deliver the Scottish next season then he would be an excellent choice.

7 Hills
07-03-2011, 07:54 PM
I never had the privilege of seeing him play, but for me it would have to be Gordon Smith. He won the Scottish Championship with three separate clubs and not one of them was Old Firm! And of course, he'd have to be in the company of Messrs. Johnstone, Reilly, Turnbull and Ormond! :wink:

Dr Jimmy
07-03-2011, 08:01 PM
STF, its had its ups and downs but we would have been ****ed if it wasn't for him.

Mark79
07-03-2011, 08:26 PM
How about one of Chisholm pointing, Stewart yacking up his guts and Brian kerr doing some unseen work?

Jamesie
07-03-2011, 08:29 PM
For Chairman - either Harry Swan or Tom Farmer. Probably the latter.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2011, 08:34 PM
And
Michael Whelehan

:agree:

Celtic have one of Brother Walfrid and whilst i wouldn't want to blindly copy anything Celtic do i think a statue of the 2 men who founded our club is a cracking idea.

I'm sure one of the supporters clubs had a bust of Canon Hannan commisioned although i may be imagining that.

STF, its had its ups and downs but we would have been ****ed if it wasn't for him.

Sir Tom should definitely be honoured in some way.

I think history will be far kinder to him than some of our supporters are at times (generally times when things aren't going well on the park).

bighairyfaeleith
07-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Joe Tortolano:thumbsup:

Barney McGrew
07-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Brian kerr doing some unseen work?

The last thing we'd need is an unseen statue in the car park.

Can you imagine the costs we'd have to fork out for repairing cars that crashed into it?

blackpoolhibs
07-03-2011, 08:45 PM
We already have one of Brian Kerr.

lucky
07-03-2011, 08:45 PM
The singing section. Apparently they are footballs greatest fans ever.

NYHibby
07-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Sir Tom should definitely be honoured in some way.

I think history will be far kinder to him than some of our supporters are at times (generally times when things aren't going well on the park).

Wasn't Fergus McCann viewed pretty poorly for a long time before Celtic fans changed their view of him?

Its too soon to honor STF. We need to let some time pass first in order to gain some perspective.

Jones28
07-03-2011, 08:47 PM
A giant tache :agree:

That or Joe Baker :not worth

Pretty Boy
07-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Wasn't Fergus McCann viewed pretty poorly for a long time before Celtic fans changed their view of him?

Its too soon to honor STF. We need to let some time pass first in order to gain some perspective.

I agree it's too early and i'm sure i remember hearing/reading that STF wasn't keen on the idea of having a big fuss made of him by Hibs.

In time though i think the man who helped save our club, and whos family had done so before deserves some kind of permanent recognition.

blackpoolhibs
07-03-2011, 08:50 PM
The singing section. Apparently they are footballs greatest fans ever.

We could have one for the most miserable ones, but dont want one of you.

lucky
07-03-2011, 09:00 PM
We could have one for the most miserable ones, but dont want one of you.

:greengrin why thank you :greengrin

erin-go-bragh87
07-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Lawrie Reilly for me, or all of the 5!

.Sean.
07-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Any updates on the bronze Canon Hannon bust?

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-03-2011, 09:06 PM
The only single candidate would be Sir Pat of Stanton, but I have a morbid suspicion that he may need to go all the way upstairs before that happens.

Vini1875
07-03-2011, 09:11 PM
I think Cannon Hannon makes the most sense and a close second would have to be Micheal Whelehan who came up with the name.

lapsedhibee
07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Depends whereabouts it would be. If outside the away end, mibbe Souness getting his red, or Mercer being lowered into the ground.

The Harp Awakes
07-03-2011, 09:19 PM
And
Michael Whelehan

Good shout :agree:

jgl07
07-03-2011, 09:25 PM
There is the current invisible Brian Kerr statue doing lots of unseen work.

CB_NO3
07-03-2011, 09:38 PM
We already have about 3000 statues in the West every second Saturday.

Speedway
07-03-2011, 09:39 PM
For me it would have to be Paul Wright for his winning goal in the 1991 SKOL Cup Final.

NYHibby
07-03-2011, 09:40 PM
And
Michael Whelehan

Not to be disrespectful, but would the average Hibs supporter know who they are? Would they recognise who they are without needing to reading a plaque? I don't think honouring them with statues outside the stadium is the way to go. Statues should be for someone more instantly recognisable.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2011, 09:42 PM
For me it would have to be Paul Wright for his winning goal in the 1991 SKOL Cup Final.

:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
07-03-2011, 10:41 PM
murray and miller shaking hands whilst a substitution was taking place

or, joe baker, famous five

silverhibee
07-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Not to be disrespectful, but would the average Hibs supporter know who they are? Would they recognise who they are without needing to reading a plaque? I don't think honouring them with statues outside the stadium is the way to go. Statues should be for someone more instantly recognisable.

Deeks. :greengrin

Ryan91
07-03-2011, 11:37 PM
I think once the remaining members of the Famous Five had sadly departed this life, there should be consideration of them being enshrined in a statue, the most famous frontline in football, preferably if they were done so that they look like they do in the photo on the FF stand, that one of them all jogging in a line.

Greentinted
07-03-2011, 11:55 PM
I think once the remaining members of the Famous Five had sadly departed this life, there should be consideration of them being enshrined in a statue, the most famous frontline in football, preferably if they were done so that they look like they do in the photo on the FF stand, that one of them all jogging in a line.

Thats the one for me although I never did understand why these things are generally commisioned post-mortem. Why not celebrate these people when they are here to enjoy and appreciate the accolade?

Removed
07-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Thats the one for me although I never did understand why these things are generally commisioned post-mortem. Why not celebrate these people when they are here to enjoy and appreciate the accolade?

Dunbar Hibee
08-03-2011, 12:31 AM
murray and miller shaking hands whilst a substitution was taking place

or, joe baker, famous five

:faf:

Enoch Showunmi? :dunno: I know he didn't exactly set the hay alight at his time here but he did score the winner v QOTS :agree:

TRC
08-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Mixu and Sauzee doing the jig at the corner flag during 6-2 :thumbsup:

Septimus
08-03-2011, 05:18 AM
Maybe the entrance to the main stand should be renamed the Cannon Hannan Lobby. It certainly seems to be alive and well.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-03-2011, 07:57 AM
We already have about 3000 statues in the West every second Saturday.

:tee hee:

:applause:

Thomson
08-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Mixu and Sauzee doing the jig at the corner flag during 6-2 :thumbsup:

I was almost about to post this exact same thing. Was thinking, out of 2 pages so far, why has no one mentioned Le God. Even if it wasn't with mixu, i think one of Sauzee would be great.
:thumbsup:

Purehibee_MYB
08-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Gotta be Sauzee :agree:

humins
08-03-2011, 08:22 AM

shirley shome mishstake

Keeth keeth keeth

francobaresi
08-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Got to be the Famous Five outside main stand. Pat Stanton outside the soon to be named Stanton Stand:wink:

jdships
08-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Is the " Club not bigger than the indvidual " ?
There have been many " unsung heroes" connected with this club over many years

:flag:

Joe Baker II
08-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Canon Hannan tribute is long overdue as one of not just Hibernian FC but Ireland's finest men - if anyone doubts this read

http://mtmg.wordpress.com/2009/08/05/a-real-football-hero-father-edward-hannan-in-1870s-edinburgh/

Given Gordon Smith also played at Hearts think a town centre statue would be more appropriate for him if City Council were interested, certainly more worthy than some of the town centre statues (Henry Dundas, Duke of Wellington spring to mind).

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2011, 09:55 AM
shirley shome mishstake

Keeth keeth keeth

I think its you thats mistaken my friend. :confused:

Wilson
08-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Mixu. We'll go for a statue from his playing days and halve the cost in materials!

heretoday
08-03-2011, 10:07 AM

Hear Hear. No canons please! Just footballers. My choice would be Gordon Smith or Reilly (in the future obviously).

IanM
08-03-2011, 10:30 AM
sir wallace mercer:agree:

ivan03
08-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Frank the frenchman! or Paco Luna! :not worth

serious note has to be Colin Murdock or Joe Baker?

Saorsa
08-03-2011, 10:38 AM
sir wallace mercer:agree:Aye, so we can throw bricks at it and gob on it every game :agree: Personally I'd go up tae ER tae gob on it even if there was nae game on.

lapsedhibee
08-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I think its you thats mistaken my friend. :confused:

:agree: Paul Wright scored. Easy enough to check, he's working for the SFA as a coach now isn't he?

Bad Martini
08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Gordon Smith.

Or, the entire Famous Five.

Failing that, Stanton.

In that order.

Jack
08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
I take it folk are thinking of something life sized or bigger?

To be honest I don’t really see the point. 50 odd posts and there's been no consensus so I think any statue would only serve to divide the support.

I’d rather see a series of banner pictures hanging within the public areas of the stands celebrating our heroes; celebrating events in our history. Maybe moving from stand to stand keeping the whole thing fresh.

--------
08-03-2011, 10:59 AM
:agree: Paul Wright scored. Easy enough to check, he's working for the SFA as a coach now isn't he?

Keith. And Tom McIntyre from the spot.

Paul would have had to go some to score in that game, allowing as he was playing for St Johnstone at the time.

lapsedhibee
08-03-2011, 11:02 AM
And Tom McIntyre from the spot.

Keith Wright did ok for us in general, though I personally feel he was never quite the same after the Yam Berry clattered him.

--------
08-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Keith Wright did ok for us in general, though I personally feel he was never quite the same after the Yam Berry clattered him.

Yup. :agree:

Peevemor
08-03-2011, 11:05 AM

To be honest I don’t really see the point. 50 odd posts and there's been no consensus so I think any statue would only serve to divide the support.

I’d rather see a series of banner pictures hanging within the public areas of the stands celebrating our heroes; celebrating events in our history. Maybe moving from stand to stand keeping the whole thing fresh.

What, like sort of giant magic trees? :greengrin

Pretty Boy
08-03-2011, 11:11 AM

I've always liked the idea of a mural on the side of one of the stands celebrating great players, the clubs history etc.

Speedway
08-03-2011, 12:49 PM

:agree: Paul also had a spell as Manager of Cowdenbeath I think, with Nicky Weir as his assistant.

Paul would have had to go some to score in that game, allowing as he was playing for St Johnstone at the time.

It was Tam McIntyre was it not?

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Were you actually at the game Doddie????????

Paul scored the 2nd, and Michael McIntyre scored from the spot. :confused:

Speedway
08-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Were you actually at the game Doddie????????

Paul scored the 2nd, and Michael McIntyre scored from the spot. :confused:

:agree: Paul's finish was sublime to beat Anthony Rhodes after the through ball from wee Nicky.

That's why I think he deserves a statue but we've got no chance of making Ron loosen the purse strings to make it happen.

Jack
08-03-2011, 01:05 PM
What, like sort of giant magic trees? :greengrin

Yes :thumbsup:

I've always liked the idea of a mural on the side of one of the stands celebrating great players, the clubs history etc.

I deliberately stayed away from murals as they are much more permanent and like the Leith one can become a bit tatty / weather beaten / faded – I particularly think this would be true painted on the structures we have at ER. I also suspect there would be planning issues that would hinder progress or the danger they would become listed in some way that would cause them to become a burden on the club.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
08-03-2011, 01:09 PM
:agree: Paul's finish was sublime to beat Anthony Rhodes after the through ball from wee Nicky.

That's why I think he deserves a statue but we've got no chance of making Ron loosen the purse strings to make it happen.

That would still appear to get on Davina McCalls thrupenny bits as he was banging on about it when he was commentating on our win in the 2007 CSI cup.

Speedway
08-03-2011, 01:11 PM
That would still appear to get on Davina McCalls thrupenny bits as he was banging on about it when he was commentating on our win in the 2007 CSI cup.

:agree: The result was harsh on Ewan Moyes who played well that day but it was fitting for Willie Miller to finally see some success as manager.

Riordans Boots
08-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Deeks. :greengrin

Kissing the badge :not worth :agree::flag:

Pretty Boy
08-03-2011, 03:48 PM
:agree: The result was harsh on Ewan Moyes who played well that day but it was fitting for Willie Miller to finally see some success as manager.

The only sour point of that whole day was Ally McLeod carrying the trophy straight down the stairs rather than passing it along the line.

aberhibsfc
08-03-2011, 03:51 PM
There is the current invisible Brian Kerr statue doing lots of unseen work.

:faf:

Call me greedy, but what about the Famous 5 on one side and Baker on the other. Can't help it, these guys just ooze Hibs and I find it difficult differentiate between their impacts at the club.

We have so much to be proud about Hibs.

HibbyDave
08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Should be a giant statue of a cheque book and pen, to remind us that no matter how good we become, we will sell sell sell (usually to the infirm).

Just having a bad day and keep thinking how good we could have been even though we would have had half the debt the Jumbos are saddled with.

GGTTH

Simpson
08-03-2011, 04:10 PM
solid gold tache :agree:

CRAZYHIBBY
08-03-2011, 04:20 PM
bert and ernie from sesame street

Keith_M
08-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Enoch Showunmi? :dunno: I know he didn't exactly set the hay alight at his time here but he did score the winner v QOTS :agree:

And he'd be popular with the Falkirk fans, having played for them as well.

Speedway
08-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Any statue would need to be a commentary on our proud history so I would suggest a statue depicting three or four trophies surrounded by a sea of mince.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
08-03-2011, 11:14 PM
The only sour point of that whole day was Ally McLeod carrying the trophy straight down the stairs rather than passing it along the line.

:agree: couldnae wait to get down those stairs to collect the keys for a 6 week loan of a Vaxhall Victor and plot the downfall of Zaire in the '82 world cup. Yabba Dabba Doo!

Speedway
09-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Nice to see Willie Hamilton get a medal though.

big-mo
09-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Any updates on the bronze Canon Hannon bust?

See the Canon Hannan thread -
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?205964-Canon-Hannan-Bust