PDA

View Full Version : polish immigrants now following Hibernian

monktonharp
07-03-2011, 06:55 PM
have any of you guys seen many young polish people/workers etc at Hibs games? ive seen a few young lads at ER recently, and last week saw a young guy with his girl (tidy stuff too) at the Hamilton game, surprised me seeing them in the travelling support, but pleasing too.

.Sean.
07-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Is there not already a Polish Hibs contingent?

Pretty Boy
07-03-2011, 07:09 PM
have any of you guys seen many young polish people/workers etc at Hibs games? ive seen a few young lads at ER recently, and last week saw a young guy with his girl (tidy stuff too) at the Hamilton game, surprised me seeing them in the travelling support, but pleasing too.

:agree:

I got talking to a couple of Polish guys at Ibrox last season, 1-1 game.

Both had originally supported Celtic when they came over because of Boruc and Zurawski but had changed allegiance and got season tickets for ER.

Seen a few other guys at ER over the last couple of seasons.

I've often wondered given the large Polish and Asian communities in Leith if it would be worthwhile for Hibs to do some advertising in Polish, Urdu, Arabic etc to maybe attract a few more people from these communities along to ER.

Wembley67
07-03-2011, 07:13 PM
:agree:

I got talking to a couple of Polish guys at Ibrox last season, 1-1 game.

Both had originally supported Celtic when they came over because of Boruc and Zurawski but had changed allegiance and got season tickets for ER.

Seen a few other guys at ER over the last couple of seasons.

I've often wondered given the large Polish and Asian communities in Leith if it would be worthwhile for Hibs to do some advertising in Polish, Urdu, Arabic etc to maybe attract a few more people from these communities along to ER.

I honestly couldn't see many Asians coming to the football purely due to the unfortunate racism that still exists within the support (not just hibs), some folk may call it casual personally I would call it uneducated.

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-03-2011, 07:23 PM
There is a lot of Legia Warsaw fans in Edinburgh and they play in green and white so i think there may be a connection there.

As for Asians a lot of them supported us in the early days particularly in the Sikh community, sadly money and glory hunting raised it's ugly head and most of them support the huns now :rolleyes:

scott7_0(Prague)
07-03-2011, 07:27 PM

Immigrants, surely you mean refugees. :wink:

Diclonius
07-03-2011, 07:37 PM
My Grandad was Polish, do I count?

green&left
07-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Seen a few Polish Hibby lads with Lechia Gdansk t-shirt/hats on at St Mirren.

Must be a bit of a come down, from the fanatical supports in Poland to sitting in amongst a few hundred auld moany gits here :greengrin

Thomson1875
07-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Have seen and heard a few poles with hibs colours on whilst walking down ER, Good to see... Perhaps they could group together and make a singing section polish style :agree:

Removed
07-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I honestly couldn't see many Asians coming to the football purely due to the unfortunate racism that still exists within the support (not just hibs), some folk may call it casual personally I would call it uneducated.

I honestly have never heard anything racist being shouted by our support for years and I do go to most away games as well. Maybe I've just been lucky who has or hasn't been sitting near me :dunno:

I don't think that any football club can afford to be choosy. I'm not bothered where the support comes from or what accent they have, even Dundonian :greengrin

Gatecrasher
07-03-2011, 07:59 PM
theres usually a polish hibs flag in the FF, not seen it in a while though.

The Baldmans Comb
07-03-2011, 08:07 PM
There was a Polish couple sitting in front of me in the bus on the way to the last home game both wearing Hibs tops and yapping away to other in their native language.:agree:

All very encouraging and refreshing except the girl had Nish on the back but the guy had Murray so I let them off.:wink:

ScottB
07-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Edinburgh is a University city as much as anything else, the club should be promoting itself to the new arrivals every year. I'm sure there are plenty students pitching up who like football and now find themselves well out of range of their own teams.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Edinburgh is a University city as much as anything else, the club should be promoting itself to the new arrivals every year. I'm sure there are plenty students pitching up who like football and now find themselves well out of range of their own teams.

Hibs certainly used to put a 40% off voucher in the Edinburgh snapfax that was handed out to students. Not sure if we still do that.

Good idea though, there must be a lot of students keen to go to a game of football every now and then and if we can benefit from that then great.

ScottB
07-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Hibs certainly used to put a 40% off voucher in the Edinburgh snapfax that was handed out to students. Not sure if we still do that.

Good idea though, there must be a lot of students keen to go to a game of football every now and then and if we can benefit from that then great.

Snapfax is a mere shadow of what it was now, and is available to anyone, since it's rubbish. Went down hill years ago when they got punted off Napier's campuses for employing students then not paying them squat!

The unis all have faires for new students with stands and the like, well worth Hibs attending, maybe forming relationships with sports societies, could offer the odd trip to East Mains or something.

NYHibby
07-03-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm technically an immigrant (although I would never refer to myself as such)

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-03-2011, 09:01 PM
I think that it is a real shame that the Asian community have not connected with football in the same way that the West Indian's have. An England 11 just now with no black players would be under-strength and although you can argue that the likes of Ashleigh Cole and Rio Ferdinand have not been great role models, they are still terrific atheletes and at the top of the profession. Real shame that there are no top class Asian footballers.

lucky
07-03-2011, 09:05 PM
After the last couple of home games I have been surprised and happy at the number of Asians and black Hibs supporters. Its about time football became multi cultural.

Irish_Steve
07-03-2011, 09:09 PM
There`s a big pole near my house, supports the telephone cable....

......I`ll get me coat

OstKurve Hibs
08-03-2011, 09:37 AM
had 2 polish boys next to me at mcdiarmid park on sat, the left a sticker on the back of the stand that said "slask wroclaw" iirc

Phil D. Rolls
08-03-2011, 09:56 AM
There's probably immigrants supporting every club in Scotland, I think it's a seedy road to go down trying to link ethnic groups to particular teams. We've got enough of a mess on that score already.

mickki40
08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
theres usually a polish hibs flag in the FF, not seen it in a while though.
I was wondering where that flag had gone. Can anyone in the Polish Community find out where these guys have/have not gone.

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I was wondering where that flag had gone. Can anyone in the Polish Community find out where these guys have/have not gone.

Pretty sure we accepted a 6 figure bid from celtic for them Mick? :wink:

mickki40
08-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Snapfax is a mere shadow of what it was now, and is available to anyone, since it's rubbish. Went down hill years ago when they got punted off Napier's campuses for employing students then not paying them squat!

The unis all have faires for new students with stands and the like, well worth Hibs attending, maybe forming relationships with sports societies, could offer the odd trip to East Mains or something.

Sometimes the bloody obvious slaps you right in the face. I shall speak to Hibs 12th Man co-ordinator to see if something can be done regarding Uni students. That's an untapped market as far as I know. By untapped I mean by approaching the students during Freshers week etc and other areas of Uni Life. I hope we can send people away from Edinburgh bleeding Green and White Hibernian in future years. Cheers for the heads up.

joe breezy
08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
There's probably immigrants supporting every club in Scotland, I think it's a seedy road to go down trying to link ethnic groups to particular teams. We've got enough of a mess on that score already.

Nah...it's not trying 'to link to ethnic groups' merely acknowledging there is a big Polish community in Leith and they would be welcome at Easter Road.

i think it would be good to make more of it where possible, just as the club tries to appeal to schools in the area.

Cropley10
08-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Nah...it's not trying 'to link to ethnic groups' merely acknowledging there is a big Polish community in Leith and they would be welcome at Easter Road.

i think it would be good to make more of it where possible, just as the club tries to appeal to schools in the area.

:agree::agree::agree:

LeithBoozy
08-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I dont think it would be fair, they would be able to give Nish dogs abuse in their native tounge without any come-back from the happy clappers. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I dont think it would be fair, they would be able to give Nish dogs abuse in their native tounge without any come-back from the happy clappers. :greengrin

Or teach us how to do it? :wink:

Forthview
08-03-2011, 01:09 PM
I was at a game at ER last season and there were a couple of guys late teens/early twenties wearing Hibs shirts with POLSKI and a number on the backs. They were as into it as everyone around us, didnt think of asking what is Polish for 'koff Hughes youre a clown.:greengrin

Mikeystewart
08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I have a polish friend at college who has the top with name on back etc. If he didn't work weekends he would get a season ticket.

MrSmith
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
My old fella was 14 when he got into the UK and was 16 when he joined the war effort. After the war he came to stay in Edinburgh and supported Hibs throughout his lifetime. So my point, Polish people supported Hibs long before now. There is a thriving Polish Hibs support. Unfortunately a lot of the younger ones are looking west to the imposters!

Bishop Hibee
08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Sikh lad in my youngest son's class at primary is a Hibby. See him football training with the Hibs strip on. Plenty Polish kids in Leith/Restalrig support Hibs because of their mates and proximity to the ground.

3 heided aliens welcome at ER if they're Hibees :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
08-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Spoke to a couple of poles watching hibs games in the
Whilst ticket price is a deterrent the Jambos antics around pope John paul 2 death mean they will never support the yams

Hibrandenburg
09-03-2011, 08:44 AM

Like it! Maybe a few posters at the Uni along the lines of "Hibs The Educated Choice "

Speedway
09-03-2011, 01:07 PM
This is out of order.

We'll be championing Irish Immigrants next.

Pretty Boy
09-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Like it! Maybe a few posters at the Uni along the lines of "Hibs The Educated Choice "

Maybe Hearts are better suited to the Unis.

We could send a few of the yams into economics and business lectures and they can explain the priciples of 'not really having debt if you owe it to yourself' even if you are still being charged whopping great interest rates.

They are also already onsite for helping out the sports sciences students.

Phil D. Rolls
09-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Maybe Hearts are better suited to the Unis.

We could send a few of the yams into economics and business lectures and they can explain the priciples of 'not really having debt if you owe it to yourself' even if you are still being charged whopping great interest rates.

They are also already onsite for helping out the sports sciences students.

I think they would make interesting case studies for psychiatry students, :agree: