PDA

View Full Version : Night out in Stoke?

.Sean.
07-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Myself and 8 mates find ourselves in the area this coming Saturday so are planning a wild one in Stoke. Any chaps on here experienced the delights of Stoke at the weekend? Reccomendations? Places to go, places to avoid etc?

Removed
07-03-2011, 06:20 PM
One of the guys at my work is from, and lives, in Stoke. I've texted him but he's on his way up the now. I'll post back when I've spoken to him :thumbsup:

He just texted back asking where you are staying?

Pretty Boy
07-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Myself and 8 mates find ourselves in the area this coming Saturday so are planning a wild one in Stoke. Any chaps on here experienced the delights of Stoke at the weekend? Reccomendations? Places to go, places to avoid etc?

I stayed in Stoke a few years back when me and a group of my mates went to Alton Towers.

It was like the land that time forgot. Friday night and the place was dead. Think part of the problem is that Stoke is essentially 4 or 5 towns that have been merged into a city so there isn't really a recognisable 'centre' like Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle etc. We ended up in a Walkabout then a club that was about a quarter full.

Sorry to make it sound so depressing, hopefully you have a better time that we did. On the plus side for us Alton Towers was good.

.Sean.
07-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks mate!

We're actually staying around ten miles from Stoke but taxis there and back is no real issue. Place is called the Raddle Inn campsite I think? There are 5 or so chalets, a pub, but we're all booked in the big house with the hot tub!

Reason we're not actually staying in Stoke is that we'd planned to go to Alton Towers, which is only a few minutes from were we are staying, but it's shut this weekend. Whoops!

.Sean.
07-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I stayed in Stoke a few years back when me and a group of my mates went to Alton Towers.

It was like the land that time forgot. Friday night and the place was dead. Think part of the problem is that Stoke is essentially 4 or 5 towns that have been merged into a city so there isn't really a recognisable 'centre' like Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle etc. We ended up in a Walkabout then a club that was about a quarter full.

Sorry to make it sound so depressing, hopefully you have a better time that we did. On the plus side for us Alton Towers was good.Cheers anyway man.

Bit dissapointing Alton is shut but i'm sure the weekend will be as good as we make it. Heading with 8 of my best pals, plenty of booze so i'm sure we'll have a blast!

Marabou Stork
07-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Unlucky. It's just about the worst place on earth. It's like the Jeremy Kyle green room in just about every pub in the 'city'.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Stoke v The Hammers in The FA Cup on Sunday, could be lively!

Removed
08-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Recommendation from my mate is Newcastle u Lyme on a Friday night but doesn't get going to 10 at the earliest and Hanley on a Saturday night.

Hope you have a good weekend :cheers:

Barney McGrew
08-03-2011, 06:12 PM
places to avoid etc?

Stoke.

My old company had it's Head Office down there, so I was in Stoke a lot. It's grim.

Get a carry out or stay in your hotel bar is the best advice I could give :greengrin

Twa Cairpets
08-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Stoke.

My old company had it's Head Office down there, so I was in Stoke a lot. It's grim.

Get a carry out or stay in your hotel bar is the best advice I could give :greengrin

Couldnt agree more. Its like a run down version of Clydebank but without the cultural charm.

lyonhibs
08-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Couldnt agree more. Its like a run down version of Clydebank but without the cultural charm.

:agree:

I would take the possible controversial step of extending that statement to practically every town in The Midlands/North West that relied upon a long since gone industry and are composed predominantely of that distinctive red brick.

In my experience, dumps one and all.

hibsbollah
08-03-2011, 08:49 PM
I have family there. Worst city in England without a single redeeming feature. Sorry :greengrin.

Pretty Boy
08-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Bet Sean is gald he asked now. I'm sure he's dying to hit the high spots.

Barney McGrew
09-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Bet Sean is gald he asked now. I'm sure he's dying to hit the high spots.

:tee hee:

It's his own fault for planning to stay anywhere near that dump without doing the background checks first. A night out in Stoke makes a night out in Gorgie seem like a good choice. :greengrin

.Sean.
11-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Stoke sounds ****ing pish so we are thinking nottingham which isny too far anyone been?

degenerated
11-03-2011, 06:46 PM
i was there and had a cracking night at Shelleys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfj7BLi5cYQ&feature=related), mind you it was about 20 years ago so that's probably not much help to you :greengrin

Barney McGrew
12-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Stoke sounds ****ing pish so we are thinking nottingham which isny too far anyone been?

Nottingham's a good night out from what I remember :agree:

Not that I remember much. Which means it must have been a good night :greengrin

stevensons-fan
20-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Thought I'd dig out this thread as I was planning on taking a trip down to Alton Towers in September for my 21st and making a couple nights of it. Would you recommend the accommodation you stayed in and where did you head out at night in the end? Also what was it like price wise?

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Huge proportion of ladies to men in Nottingham which is nice!

.Sean.
01-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Thought I'd dig out this thread as I was planning on taking a trip down to Alton Towers in September for my 21st and making a couple nights of it. Would you recommend the accommodation you stayed in and where did you head out at night in the end? Also what was it like price wise?
Sorry, i've only just noticed this thread now!!

We stayed here (http://www.logcabin.co.uk/), at 'The Rocks Cottage' although there are several chalets too. The place was fine - Roomy, tremendous views of the countryside and we had a hot tub in the garden! There were 8 of us, we all payed a £15 quid deposit when we booked and I think it was a further £60 on arrival.

I never made it to Alton Towers - My mates went to the water park early on the Saturday, but i'd been bevvying in the car all the way down and was buckled on the Friday so gave it a miss. They said it was cracking though :agree:

There's a pub literally over the road run by the people who own the site - Good wee pub and friendly locals. We never went out in Stoke - The chalets were all booked out with youngish folk (laddies and lassies) so the place was busy on both the Friday and Saturday nights so we never needed to head into town.

By the way, i'd advise the hot tub - The birds seem to love it, it's an absolute pulling machine :wink:

We thouroughly enjoyed ourselves and we're planning on heading back down late August/ September time. Fantastic weekend in an awsome setting :agree:

.Sean.
25-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Did you end up booking? We're booked up for the 16th and 17th of September for my mates 21st.

stevensons-fan
26-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Did you end up booking? We're booked up for the 16th and 17th of September for my mates 21st.

Sadly not, was looking to maybe stay in the Rocks Cottage around those dates but looks like someone might have already booked that! :wink: We are still thinking about going down though, unsure as of yet.