PDA

View Full Version : NHC SFA Coaching Courses

sambajustice
06-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Did the Level One Youth Award today and it was Keith Wright who was taking it!! Top Guy!! Gave the Hibees a jolly and got a dig in at the Yams one quite a few occasions!!

:greengrin:greengrin

Apart from that, the course was very good! Only one day but rammed full of good stuff!

KingFranck
06-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Did the Level One Youth Award today and it was Keith Wright who was taking it!! Top Guy!! Gave the Hibees a jolly and got a dig in at the Yams one quite a few occasions!!

:greengrin:greengrin

Apart from that, the course was very good! Only one day but rammed full of good stuff!
I did level 2 course a few weeks back and Keith and Neil Orr were testing us. Currently coaching 2003s so what KW told me is brilliant eg coach the diamond shape as early as possible

sambajustice
06-03-2011, 07:31 PM
I did level 2 course a few weeks back and Keith and Neil Orr were testing us. Currently coaching 2003s so what KW told me is brilliant eg coach the diamond shape as early as possible

What do you do exactly on the level 2? From what I could gather you basicaly get more info then at some point on day 2 you have plan your own session, ie warm ups - drills - games

GB6
06-03-2011, 07:48 PM
What do you do exactly on the level 2? From what I could gather you basicaly get more info then at some point on day 2 you have plan your own session, ie warm ups - drills - games

level 2 is over 2 sessions... first week is the sfa coaches talking you through more drills etc and plenty time for to take notes and get involved in the different excercises. week 2 its over to you, spilt in to equal big groups then usualy in pairs one takes the warm-up, then other takes skill practice 1 then back to the ''warm-up" person for another skill practice then back to the other person for a small sided game or warm down.. if i remember correctly you plan for a 15 min session and then take part in other coaches sessions

makes it alot easier if you have loads of coaches willing to take part and play the roll of the child/youth player :agree:

GraniteCityHibs
06-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I did the early stages level one last year! Great course with a lot of good content!

I'm going to do the Level 2 later this year. I've got a few years until i hang the boots up but i'd essentially like to have the bulk of my badges by then.

I think the way they teach things and break them down is very good and if they can get the principles about small sided games etc to be the norm, the future of coaching at all levels can only be bright!:agree:

Hibby Bairn
07-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Level 2 is about preparing for training, how you structure a session, how you get on the kids' level etc. and then demonstrating all that in a 'live' practice.

Level 3 is where it gets really interesting and I now watch football matches and see things developing in games in a completely different way. Helping children understand football in this way rather than booting the ball up the park is such a massive step forward in Scotland.

What we are less good at is then encouraging them to make their own decisions during games. We still tell them what to do in most cases.

Hope you enjoy the courses and despite the cost (to volunteers!) I would encourage you to do level 3.

Cropley10
07-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Level 2 is about 'Support' and 'Extend' - how you deal with players of different abilities by relating your coaching points to them, specifically. It then gets you to think about how you 'Progress' a drill when the Group has got a drill or task to develop the group.

Level 3 is interesting in that it relates to how you coach a variety of game related scenarios, say 3v2 or 2v2, which is relevant to 7s and 11 aside.

I've been on a few courses with Keith and I rate him and David Sheldon both very highly.

BTW - anyone done their Level 4 - heard mixed reviews, particularly as it's 'Pass' or 'Fail' - some say they can fail you too easily, meaning you have to come back and resit = more money.

Hibby Bairn
07-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I did the first 3 levels about 6 yrs ago now. And I'll do level 4/5 when they make it free as I'm not shelling out hundreds of pounds as a volunteer. I suspect many are in the same boat to the detriment of overall quality and insight of many people like me coaching younger children.

A pity as I'd really like to do the final parts.

BTW in those 6 yrs I've never ever been contacted by the SFA since.

sambajustice
07-03-2011, 12:12 PM
I dont actually coach youth level football but I fancied doing the courses. I did the Adult Club Coach certificate and that was really good. Next adult course after that is the UEFA B Licence which is a bit extreme at the moment!!!

I just fancied doing a few more so went for the Youth one, the level one was yesterday (as mentioned) and the level 2 is the next couple of sundays but its full apparently which is unfortunate. The next level two isnt until May.

Anyway some of the stuff you get shown is just so simple but its stuff you just dont think of. It was meant to be Youth level coaching but i think it would all be more than adequate training for my amateur team. Infact it'd probably be the best training session we've ever had.

Definitely looking to do the level 2 in May. Guy at my work has done his level 3 and actually said that the Level 3 is easier than the Level 2...

JimBHibees
07-03-2011, 02:01 PM
I dont actually coach youth level football but I fancied doing the courses. I did the Adult Club Coach certificate and that was really good. Next adult course after that is the UEFA B Licence which is a bit extreme at the moment!!!

I just fancied doing a few more so went for the Youth one, the level one was yesterday (as mentioned) and the level 2 is the next couple of sundays but its full apparently which is unfortunate. The next level two isnt until May.

Anyway some of the stuff you get shown is just so simple but its stuff you just dont think of. It was meant to be Youth level coaching but i think it would all be more than adequate training for my amateur team. Infact it'd probably be the best training session we've ever had.

Definitely looking to do the level 2 in May. Guy at my work has done his level 3 and actually said that the Level 3 is easier than the Level 2...

There is a level 2 session in Bathgate on Friday's March 18th and 25th as I am on that course. No idea if any spaces but worth a shout if you wanted to do it sooner than May.

Just to add, did the Level one last month and for someone who hasnt played in a few years it was a physically demanding course as you were participating in the drills they were demonstrating. Very enjoyable though.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2011, 02:10 PM
I've completed the level 1, 2 and 3 goalkeeping coaching courses.

Hoping to go on and do the advanced courses within the next year, both are residential courses of 4 and 5 days respectively.

Just started coaching keepers aged 12-15 and really enjoying it. I'm only 24 and still playing myself but the whole coaching side of things was something i was keen to get involved in at a young age.

The SFA courses are really good and highly rated, when i was doing the course both Marion Kello and Paul Gallagher were there also taking part. The only thing i didn't like about the 1, 2 and 3 courses was that people passed just by turning up, there were a few guys on my course who should never be coaching young keeper because they were hopeless. The adavanced courses are pass/fail so should be a lot tougher but i'm looking forward to them.

vahibbie
07-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Did a week long course at Stirling Uni a good few years ago. Jockey Scott was in charge and John Blackley took my group. There was a good number of mid and far east guys on it......don't think they understood too much Sloop said :wink:
Sorry to say it wasn't that great, a lot of shouting involved. I trust times have changed.

Haymaker
07-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Im currently studying my B, A next year whilst coaching in the community with a variety of clubs at all levels.

I have found that the price and time is what kills the progression (and the EFA in some cases) from level 2 onwards (UEFA B is a 5 days away course) however essential.

The major problem I have is the fact that some I have encountered and worked with have passed B, A and even been invited onto the pro-licence (and are paid very well in professional football) yet are still encouraging the "hoof it away" standard. Sometimes I wonder what it the point of me trying to teach 8-14 year olds how to retain possession and make intelligent runs/space creating movements, how to know when to pass, when to take on, when to try a trick or skill, how to move, offset defenders, lull players into mistakes etc when the head coach (and far more qualified - and paid - than me) tells them the game plans is "Smash it up the park to the big forward - flick it on and race after it".

:rolleyes:

sambajustice
07-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I've completed the level 1, 2 and 3 goalkeeping coaching courses.

Hoping to go on and do the advanced courses within the next year, both are residential courses of 4 and 5 days respectively.

Just started coaching keepers aged 12-15 and really enjoying it. I'm only 24 and still playing myself but the whole coaching side of things was something i was keen to get involved in at a young age.

The SFA courses are really good and highly rated, when i was doing the course both Marion Kello and Paul Gallagher were there also taking part. The only thing i didn't like about the 1, 2 and 3 courses was that people passed just by turning up, there were a few guys on my course who should never be coaching young keeper because they were hopeless. The adavanced courses are pass/fail so should be a lot tougher but i'm looking forward to them.

LOL, know exactly what you mean, there was one boy there yesterday who looked like he was on the Walk of Shame and just happened to pass the high school and saw some football related activity going on so thought he'd come in and have a neb!! For me its only worth it if you are taking part to some degree. It is knackering too, when I did the Club Coach certificate I was totally knackered after the 2 days!

Whats the Goalkeeper course like? I fancy doing the Level One but not sure about the Level Two.

There is a level 2 session in Bathgate on Friday's March 18th and 25th as I am on that course. No idea if any spaces but worth a shout if you wanted to do it sooner than May.

A possibility but i think it might be a bit difficult getting there. Will think about that though!

Pretty Boy
07-03-2011, 02:45 PM
LOL, know exactly what you mean, there was one boy there yesterday who looked like he was on the Walk of Shame and just happened to pass the high school and saw some football related activity going on so thought he'd come in and have a neb!! For me its only worth it if you are taking part to some degree. It is knackering too, when I did the Club Coach certificate I was totally knackered after the 2 days!

Whats the Goalkeeper course like? I fancy doing the Level One but not sure about the Level Two.

A possibility but i think it might be a bit difficult getting there. Will think about that though!

The level 1 goalkeeping course is really good.

A good crash course in the basics. Basic handling, how to dive correctly, basic positioning and so on. It focusses on really simple excercises for younger and/or inexperienced keepers.

A few good warm up excercises, a lot of good handling work, a few fitness excercises and some really good work for reflexes etc. definitely worth it if you are working with younger goalkeepers or have never done much goalkeeping yourself before. The level 2 and 3 courses really just build on level 1 and start to incorporate a few tougher drills and a few routines that involve having to think a bit more.

Daz1875
07-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Level 4 is pass or fail and it is quite hard i done it 3 years ago and because of work commitments never managed to complete it.

Level 2 is about 'Support' and 'Extend' - how you deal with players of different abilities by relating your coaching points to them, specifically. It then gets you to think about how you 'Progress' a drill when the Group has got a drill or task to develop the group.

Level 3 is interesting in that it relates to how you coach a variety of game related scenarios, say 3v2 or 2v2, which is relevant to 7s and 11 aside.

I've been on a few courses with Keith and I rate him and David Sheldon both very highly.

BTW - anyone done their Level 4 - heard mixed reviews, particularly as it's 'Pass' or 'Fail' - some say they can fail you too easily, meaning you have to come back and resit = more money.

Sloppy
07-03-2011, 05:07 PM
was at that course aswell, making them do starjumps saying "im a hibee" :thumbsup:

Randerson_4
07-03-2011, 06:49 PM
was at that course aswell, making them do starjumps saying "im a hibee" :thumbsup:

Yeah I was there yesterday too - that was quite funny but taken well

Have to agree with some people just turning up & passing. Several did not take part even when encouraged too. Myself probably done too much but I wanted to get involved & learn. Several who took part couldn't play at all so dunno how good this turn up & pass is

Hopefully get my Level 2 done in May

Sloppy
07-03-2011, 10:20 PM

Have to agree with some people just turning up & passing. Several did not take part even when encouraged too. Myself probably done too much but I wanted to get involved & learn. Several who took part couldn't play at all so dunno how good this turn up & pass is

yeah i recognise your face, yeah was pretty good like

sambajustice
07-03-2011, 10:23 PM

Yeah, i'm looking at May now as well, was going to do it next two sundays but its full! Getting to bonnyrigg will be a pain in the hole tho! Should be really good though, looking forward to it!

I was pishing myself at the goalkeeper yesterday!! LOL (apologies if you were the goalie!)

Sloppy
07-03-2011, 10:33 PM
im booked for the next 2 weeks level 2 and then following 2 fridays for level 3. i was the small guy that looked about 12 (im 17) was in the orange team for the game

bob12345
08-03-2011, 12:22 AM

I've done this at childrens and youth. It is pass or fail, but surely that's how a coaching badge should be? Absolutely anyone can walk round saying they have a level 3, which isn't right.

I found both courses decent. The big difference for me was with the childrens the tutors promoted doing your own thing exercise wise, whereas the youth it was very much 'you are taking a massive risk if you don't do it by the book'. Thus meaning I went away from the former with a whole new catalogue of exercises, which was great.

It's not a straight pass or fail though. The childrens has two components, the youth three. You can pass 2/3 and just resit the final one. Or that was the case when I sat it anyway.

I've heard all sorts of stories about bias towards who passes (e.g. pro youth coaches, ex pros) but had a pretty good experience myself, passing both on the childrens and 2/3 on the youths. That was with a boys club.

The level 4 is for people who want to push on in the coaching world. If you'd like to work in football, or be involved with the youth setup of a professional side, then its a must. If not? Quite expensive and for the sake of having it sitting next to your name, I don't think worthwhile.

I'd recommend spending the thirty-five hours shadowing a top youth coach, most clubs will allow it if asked formally. 90% of what you do whilst coaching will be picked up from others and pieced together. The tips and tricks I learned from working with a few top class coaches in the states did me a whole lot more than my courses put together.

P.S. If anyone does want to do a coaching course, apply for a scholarship with these guys - www.coachingedinburgh.co.uk - if you're doing volunteer work in Edinburgh they'll probably fund most of it.

JimBHibees
08-03-2011, 09:53 AM
level 2 is over 2 sessions... first week is the sfa coaches talking you through more drills etc and plenty time for to take notes and get involved in the different excercises. week 2 its over to you, spilt in to equal big groups then usualy in pairs one takes the warm-up, then other takes skill practice 1 then back to the ''warm-up" person for another skill practice then back to the other person for a small sided game or warm down.. if i remember correctly you plan for a 15 min session and then take part in other coaches sessions

makes it alot easier if you have loads of coaches willing to take part and play the roll of the child/youth player :agree:

Wondered if anyone who has done level 2 can answer how much scope do you get when performing your drills e.g are you told to do a particular warm up/skill exercise such as one they demonstrated the week before, or are you able to decide for yourself what drills to carry out.

bob12345
08-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Wondered if anyone who has done level 2 can answer how much scope do you get when performing your drills e.g are you told to do a particular warm up/skill exercise such as one they demonstrated the week before, or are you able to decide for yourself what drills to carry out.

Given plenty of options to choose from in the demos on week one, but perfectly ok to do your own thing. Make sure they tie in with the principles though, e.g. Maximum participation and support + extension.

GB6
08-03-2011, 10:30 AM

As mentioned above you have plenty of options to choose from, all they ask is you stick to the aspect you have been asked to coach e.g shooting, driblling, passing and there mainly looking at maximum participation and how you choose to make a drill harder or easier to cover all abilities

JimBHibees
08-03-2011, 11:04 AM
As mentioned above you have plenty of options to choose from, all they ask is you stick to the aspect you have been asked to coach e.g shooting, driblling, passing and there mainly looking at maximum participation and how you choose to make a drill harder or easier to cover all abilities

Maximum participation being including kids from a range of ability levels starting off the session relatively simple then making it progressively harder to stretch more able kids. That sort of thing.

sambajustice
08-03-2011, 11:10 AM

I've not done it, but from what I can gather (and a guy I work with also told me) on the first day you get more drills, warm ups, condtioned games etc etc, then on the second day you team up with someone to make your own little training session. You decide on a theme, passing, shooting etc then build a small training plan round that. There's 4 bits to it, the warm up, the drill/skill practice, the condtioned game and some other part!

I think you run the other coaches through your small session, with you taking two parts and your partner going through the other two parts. I dont think it runs for too long, its just to prove you can structure a proper session.

It sounds good anyway and i'm just wanting to do it to have it behind me. I dont have any ideas of managing Hibs U-19's or anything like that, i just want a greater knowledge of the game and better insight into it so if the opportunity ever arises in the future to coach a team i'll be able to do it. Basically what i'm saying is i'll probably go to Level 3 and leave it at that.

Level 1-3 Juniors
Level 1-3 Youth
Level 1 & 2 Goalkeeping
Level 1 Adult (Club Coach)

Thats basically what i'll aiming to get.

On another note, it wouldnt surprise that some people are favoured over others when it comes to the Level 4 & 5 pass/fail thing. I have a sort of mate, more of an aquaintance who has his UEFA A Licence (The one below the top UEFA one) and was a coach at Bohemians (I think). He was a coach there when they beat Aberdeen in the UEFA cup and got narrowly knocked out by Deportivo. I think he also said he was in Germany against Kaiserslautern. Anyway, he said its jobs for the boys even over in Ireland. If your face fits, you'll get the pass at the course or you'll get an interview for a job, if it doesnt then you wont basically!

I'm just away to check who exactly it was he coached!

Edit:

It was Bohs, they beat aberdeen then lost 3-2 to Kaiserlautern who in turn got to the Semi finals! I think they played Deportivo in another year!

Cropley10
08-03-2011, 11:41 AM

Depends on a couple of things; how many people were on the Level 1? What was the standard of the players there? I mean you look like your early 20's so you can probably run all day. In the past I've been on courses and we've been reminded it's not a "trial", the way some guys get involved you'd think it was though.

At the end of the day it's a coaching course, Level 1 for Youths, so starting at U13. I'm not sure how important it is to join in all the drills and demonstrations, it's more important to remember the coaching points and the focus or theme. Some people learn by doing others by observing.

At Level 2 and 3 you can't avoid getting involved - which is why they restrict the numbers.

JimBHibees
08-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I've not done it, but from what I can gather (and a guy I work with also told me) on the first day you get more drills, warm ups, condtioned games etc etc, then on the second day you team up with someone to make your own little training session. You decide on a theme, passing, shooting etc then build a small training plan round that. There's 4 bits to it, the warm up, the drill/skill practice, the condtioned game and some other part!

I think you run the other coaches through your small session, with you taking two parts and your partner going through the other two parts. I dont think it runs for too long, its just to prove you can structure a proper session.

It sounds good anyway and i'm just wanting to do it to have it behind me. I dont have any ideas of managing Hibs U-19's or anything like that, i just want a greater knowledge of the game and better insight into it so if the opportunity ever arises in the future to coach a team i'll be able to do it. Basically what i'm saying is i'll probably go to Level 3 and leave it at that.

Level 1-3 Juniors
Level 1-3 Youth
Level 1 & 2 Goalkeeping
Level 1 Adult (Club Coach)

Thats basically what i'll aiming to get.

On another note, it wouldnt surprise that some people are favoured over others when it comes to the Level 4 & 5 pass/fail thing. I have a sort of mate, more of an aquaintance who has his UEFA A Licence (The one below the top UEFA one) and was a coach at Bohemians (I think). He was a coach there when they beat Aberdeen in the UEFA cup and got narrowly knocked out by Deportivo. I think he also said he was in Germany against Kaiserslautern. Anyway, he said its jobs for the boys even over in Ireland. If your face fits, you'll get the pass at the course or you'll get an interview for a job, if it doesnt then you wont basically!

I'm just away to check who exactly it was he coached!

Edit:

It was Bohs, they beat aberdeen then lost 3-2 to Kaiserlautern who in turn got to the Semi finals! I think they played Deportivo in another year!

Thanks for that very helpful. Coaching an under 10 team at the moment so just looking for ideas on drills and also how to plan a session and improve communication with kids e.g to speak at their level improving their understanding.

Randerson_4
10-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Depends on a couple of things; how many people were on the Level 1? What was the standard of the players there? I mean you look like your early 20's so you can probably run all day. In the past I've been on courses and we've been reminded it's not a "trial", the way some guys get involved you'd think it was though.

At the end of the day it's a coaching course, Level 1 for Youths, so starting at U13. I'm not sure how important it is to join in all the drills and demonstrations, it's more important to remember the coaching points and the focus or theme. Some people learn by doing others by observing.

At Level 2 and 3 you can't avoid getting involved - which is why they restrict the numbers.

There was like 47

I know what you mean but some literally cannot kick the ball & others never done a single drill. Personally I feel this is wrong, totally wrong & shouldn't be the case. That's why we likely end up with kids just muping the ball about

Me, yeah I'm young & fairly energetic (sports student) & I probably looked to get involved everytime as I wanted to learn & be involved (plus it was Baltic!) at one point we had to get partners, nobody would be my partner so I ended up being an extra feeder & even Keith said someone else should've stepped up!

Good course, & I'm hoping to do alot more

JIm
10-03-2011, 12:55 PM

I always laugh at the Level 4 stuff and folk thinking its about money and numbers! I'm pretty open minded and i'm of the opinion that if your good enough and do what is expected you'll pass, if you dont you'll fail!

I failed part of my childrens 4 first time round, but some mentoring from one of the Development Officers in Edinburgh helped me through. Looking back on what i delivered on my first assessment and my re-assessment it was night and day, also got the Youth 4 first time round which was a bonus but think too many people are quick to make excuses for failing before they've even sat the course. Just my experiences.