PDA

View Full Version : Deeks

lucky
05-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Taken of at half time today, does anyone know if he was injured?

He never travelled back by the team bus as he was the passenger in a black Range Rover which under took us and several other cars on the way back down the road. Apart from dangerous driving, is it the norm for players not to travel back by the team bus?

matty_f
05-03-2011, 05:33 PM

He never travelled back by the team bus as he was the passenger in a black Range Rover which under took us and several other cars on the way back down the road. Apart from dangerous driving, is it the norm for players not to travel back by the team bus?

Would think that as he doesn't live in Edinburgh, it is fair to assume that he was ok to make his own way home. I don't think that's unusual to be honest, players will often do that if it's easier to go straight home rather than getting the bus to Easter Road, only to have a long drive back home afterwards.

PeterboroHibee
05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
He had about 2 touches first half, was rotten. He seems to stand really far away from Sodje, and given that nearly every ball is aimed up at him, you think he would stay close by to win the flick ons etc.

Baldy Foghorn
05-03-2011, 05:39 PM
He had about 2 touches first half, was rotten. He seems to stand really far away from Sodje, and given that nearly every ball is aimed up at him, you think he would stay close by to win the flick ons etc.

Agree with this, he was very ineffective today

blackpoolhibs
05-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a feeling we are seeing the end of Deek as a Hibs player. :boo hoo:

Dirkster23
05-03-2011, 05:44 PM

:agree: there's no point playing long balls up to Sodje to flick on if Deeks is 30 yards away from him. The distance between the pair of them is ridiculous at times

Andy74
05-03-2011, 05:47 PM
:agree: there's no point playing long balls up to Sodje to flick on if Deeks is 30 yards away from him. The distance between the pair of them is ridiculous at times

Yep, he needs to get himself around him. Deeks was poor today but wasn't alone. Still convinced Murray is finished!

7Hero
05-03-2011, 05:53 PM
He was rotten today. Not many played well though and Murray is definitely finished

Hibs90
05-03-2011, 05:58 PM
I have a feeling we are seeing the end of Deek as a Hibs player. :boo hoo:

Why? Cos he got subbed at half-time cos he was pish?

skipster7
05-03-2011, 06:04 PM

why was everybody sitting in the outside lane then ? when people insist on doing that it does my nut in:devil:
other than that it is a wee bit strange:confused:

blackpoolhibs
05-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Why? Cos he got subbed at half-time cos he was pish?

Just a gut feeling, thats all. I think Calderwood wants someone who will contribute more than goals. I might be wrong, but just a feeling i have.

PeterboroHibee
05-03-2011, 06:24 PM
He was rotten today. Not many played well though and Murray is definitely finished

Murray had a nightmare today, looked so uncomfortable at the back, and put us under pressure on quite a few occasions with poor decisions. Got zero pace which doesnt help things.

Thought Thornhill was rubbish as well, looks very lightweight compared to the likes of Scott and was quite slow. Think he needs to come off the bench until hes up to speed with things.

Dirkster23
05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Yep, he needs to get himself around him. Deeks was poor today but wasn't alone. Still convinced Murray is finished!

Yeah, i'd only give pass marks to Hanlon and Dickoh today. Can't make my mind up with Murray, had a couple of really goods games before his suspension but was terrible today.

Keith_M
05-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Lat season, I felt our strikers never really looked like a proper partnership.

It may be that CC would prefer players up front who know how to play off one another, which could mean Deeks exit is getting nearer.

Andy74
05-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Forgot about Thornhill! The new Brian Kerr!

DH1875
05-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Just a gut feeling, thats all. I think Calderwood wants someone who will contribute more than goals. I might be wrong, but just a feeling i have.

I think your right :boo hoo:. Really hope he stays but think if a deal was going to be done it would have been done by now.

scoopyboy
05-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Murray had a nightmare today, looked so uncomfortable at the back, and put us under pressure on quite a few occasions with poor decisions. Got zero pace which doesnt help things.

Thought Thornhill was rubbish as well, looks very lightweight compared to the likes of Scott and was quite slow. Think he needs to come off the bench until hes up to speed with things.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting but IMO Murray didn't play at the back.

As regards Deek I don't like the way its heading.

I would love to see him stay but as each week goes by it seems to me more and more unlikely.

I would love to be wrong on this one.

IWasThere2016
05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
I don't think Thornhill is fit - looks heavy to me. I think this may be IM's last season. Agree with Blackpool, Deeks will leave IMHO.

Billy Whizz
05-03-2011, 07:16 PM

I would love to see him stay but as each week goes by it seems to me more and more unlikely.

Later in the 2nd half he moved to the back and Booth/Stevenson played in front of him.

PeterboroHibee
05-03-2011, 07:27 PM

Nah I know, but a few times he was in our box defending and he was all over the place, he got the ball and despite everyone screaming that he had time he either hoofed it straight out of play or right to one of the St. Johnstone players.

As someone mentioned, he moved to LB later on and looked shakey then, got spun very easily at one point allowing their player to fly down the wing unchallenged.

trev the hat
05-03-2011, 07:36 PM

I sicerely hope Thornhill isnt fit (if so why is he starting?):rolleyes: as his 1st half display was woeful. Get some extra training done son, was slightly better after interval but 1st 45 was gash

Billy Whizz
05-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I sicerely hope Thornhill isnt fit (if so why is he starting?):rolleyes: as his 1st half display was woeful. Get some extra training done son, was slightly better after interval but 1st 45 was gash

But so was the rest of the team in the 1st half.

Westie1875
05-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't think Thornhill is fit - looks heavy to me. I think this may be IM's last season. Agree with Blackpool, Deeks will leave IMHO.

Based on his previous performances I don't think he is either (didn't see today) but there is a decent player in there I think. Am I correct in thinking he hadn't really been playing many games this season before coming here? Not everyone can hit the ground running, maybe just needs a bit more time to get used to this league than the other new players do.

silverhibee
05-03-2011, 07:59 PM

What make of car were you in. Was it a Merc.

scoopyboy
05-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Nah I know, but a few times he was in our box defending and he was all over the place, he got the ball and despite everyone screaming that he had time he either hoofed it straight out of play or right to one of the St. Johnstone players.

As someone mentioned, he moved to LB later on and looked shakey then, got spun very easily at one point allowing their player to fly down the wing unchallenged.

Fair points.

I think with Ian Murray he plays well when he is a regular first pick.

The suspension kicked in at a time he was playing well.

Problem being he is likely to be like that for a while due to our sporadic appearances over the coming weeks.

Back to square one really.

truehibernian
05-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I thought Thornhill initially played left mid, and then when things were getting physical Nid and Thornhill swapped positions so that Callum had a little more defensive cover from midfield. DW played a wee bit too wide and high, however in saying that all Saints play first half came down Boothy's flank and Towell and DW were left in acres of space but the ball not getting to them.

McInnes got it tactically spot on today. Their centre midfield pairing was huge, they won all the headers and second balls, and played with greater width.

Derek was anonymous today. I get the feeling with him sometimes that he looks at the pitch and surface and his head drops when things go away from him. Just didn't look at the races today. Midfield gave him and Sodje nothing to work on first half though.

Credit to Saints today though. They battled hard and won a hell of a lot of tackles, headers and loose balls. We looked very jaded and tired out there.

SteveHFC
05-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Give the boy a chance.

Shrekko
05-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Give the boy a chance.

:agree:

I know we need a scapegoat at the moment but let's not get the hate campaign in full swing for a few weeks yet.

How many games has the boy played? 3/4?

Davy Mac
05-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Cannae believe some of the shxte I'm reading about Deeks. on this forum.

Honestly, do me a favour - we are lucky to have him and for all you who think he will be able to be replaced better think again.

Deeks sign for life - you know it makes sense. :not worth

Andy74
05-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Honestly, do me a favour - we are lucky to have him and for all you who think he will be able to be replaced better think again.

He was replaced pretty effectively at half time.

hibsbollah
05-03-2011, 09:31 PM

I know we need a scapegoat at the moment but let's not get the hate campaign in full swing for a few weeks yet.

How many games has the boy played? 3/4?

Thornhill's going to be a good player. Calderwood knows him well and i have no doubt he'll be a good addition.

Removed
05-03-2011, 09:32 PM

No one is irreplaceable. Just another fact of life.

J-C
05-03-2011, 10:28 PM

with new faces coming in, surely Deek needs to prove even more so that he deserves a new contract but if he continues to play so ineffectively then he won't get the contract and someone else willing and able to do the job will come in, we replaced him when he went to Celtic remember and I'll never forgive him completely for the way he went out west.

Gus Fring
06-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Deeks performances have been on the slide all season. I think he's resting on his laurels. Huge difference between having a good game and scoring a good goal and recently he's only managed the latter

Dashing Bob S
06-03-2011, 04:35 AM
He'll never kick another ball for Hibs as long as Petrie wears a mustache.

I made this up after three vodka martinis so it must be true-ish.

squire
06-03-2011, 08:51 AM
What make of car were you in. Was it a Merc.

He was the passenger in a black Range Rover

degenerated
06-03-2011, 09:25 AM

as opposed to the passenger in the green and white top a couple of hours earlier :greengrin

weststandhibby
06-03-2011, 02:54 PM
That would be because thats his car!

Sammy7nil
06-03-2011, 02:59 PM
No one is irreplaceable. Just another fact of life.

Of course he can be replaced Nish, Duffy, Sodje, or any other average player you can think of, we will not have another Deek at Hibs in the next 20 years.

In the next few years people will appreicate him more after he is gone.

--------
06-03-2011, 03:05 PM

That's some burden to put on the lad after 3 or 4 games.

CC brought him from Forest and knows him from his own time there. Give him a chance - he doesn't look match-fit to me yet.

marinello59
06-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Of course he can be replaced Nish, Duffy, Sodje, or any other average player you can think of, we will not have another Deek at Hibs in the next 20 years.

In the next few years people will appreicate him more after he is gone.

Plenty do appreciate him now, that doesn't mean that is actually is irreplaceable though does it. Arguably better players than Deeks have left the club over the years and we are still here.
And how can you be so sure it will be twenty years before we see a player of Deeks quality at ER. Fletcher was no bad was he? O'Connor looked a real class act. Stokes was no slouch. All here in recent seasons.

Thecat23
06-03-2011, 03:14 PM

As much as i'd like Deek to sign, I have to admit he's simply been poor for far to many matches. If that's him trying to convince CC of a new contract he's going about it all wrong. I honestly think his best days are long gone. Just because he scores the odd wonder goal he can also be a passanger and for me this season he's struggled in games we really needed him. Like i say i'd love him to stay but only if he really wants it and will give us something. It just seems if you say anything bad about him you get ripped to bits on here, but on current form would you give him a new deal?? Whatever happens Deek has been great for us over the years and i'll always remember his screamer against the Yams at ER.

Saorsa
06-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Forgot about Thornhill! The new Brian Kerr!And you've made that judgement already have you?:rolleyes:

Keith_M
06-03-2011, 03:37 PM

You must be reading a different forum from me because I haven't read anything that suggests people want to get rid.

Most comments have just been that the signs aren't good about him staying. If he stays and regains his form, then I'd expect we'll all be happy.

Jim44
06-03-2011, 03:59 PM
You must be reading a different forum from me because I haven't read anything that suggests people want to get rid.

Most comments have just been that the signs aren't good about him staying. If he stays and regains his form, then I'd expect we'll all be happy.

Riordan says he wants to spend his career at Hibs. Calderwood says he wants Riordan at Hibs. What do we hear? ........................ deathly silence. The space between the lines couldn't be easier to read.

Andy74
06-03-2011, 05:28 PM
And you've made that judgement already have you?:rolleyes:

For the moment, yes. Sorry, was it only Hughes signings that were allowed to be judged after a few games?

Golden Bear
06-03-2011, 05:34 PM
For the moment, yes. Sorry, was it only Hughes signings that were allowed to be judged after a few games?

Well you've got to admit Yogi ----- you did sign some real dumplings.

CRAZYHIBBY
06-03-2011, 06:43 PM
He'll never kick another ball for Hibs as long as Petrie wears a mustache.

I made this up after three vodka martinis so it must be true-ish.

If it was Smirnoff then you can put your mortgage on it

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Usual guff from the anti Riordan brigade.
Yesterday Riordan was subbed at half time and already he is on his way out ?
I would think his subbing would be more to do with the state of the pitch and the way the team was stuggling in general. Concidering 80% of the play in the first half took place round about the Hibs box and the ball getting hoofed all over the place it is hard to see how Riordan could have made any impression on the first 45 mins.
Miller didn`t even make it onto the atrocious pitch for the same reason I would imagine.
With the ball in the air for most of the 90 mins it was a sensible tactical substitution to make in my opinion and nothing else.

Shrekko
06-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Ah- the old 2 wrongs making a right argument?

I'd have thought you'd have known better than too judge a player this quickly? If you can wait 2 years for a decent game out of Alan O'Brien then surely you can give Thornhill a wee while yet? :wink:

The Voice Of Reason
06-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Ah- the old 2 wrongs making a right argument?

I'd have thought you'd have known better than too judge a player this quickly? If you can wait 2 years for a decent game out of Alan O'Brien then surely you can give Thornhill a wee while yet? :wink:

:faf: :thumbsup:

allmodcons
06-03-2011, 08:42 PM
I would think his subbing would be more to do with the state of the pitch and the way the team was stuggling in general. Concidering 80% of the play in the first half took place round about the Hibs box and the ball getting hoofed all over the place it is hard to see how Riordan could have made any impression on the first 45 mins.
Miller didn`t even make it onto the atrocious pitch for the same reason I would imagine.
With the ball in the air for most of the 90 mins it was a sensible tactical substitution to make in my opinion and nothing else.

:agree: CC looks like he's clever enough to pick 'horses for courses'.

Something (unfortunately) Yogi didn't seem to recognise.

Westie1875
06-03-2011, 08:54 PM

I don't recall any of Yogi's signings being judged as "the new Brian Kerr" after only 4/5 games, who are you referring to? :confused:

I don't really see what Yogi's signings have to do with it anyway tbh, he is gone, CC is in charge now, time to move on IMO.

silverhibee
06-03-2011, 11:12 PM

Absolutley spot on Malcolm B, that was the reason he took Riordan off and never played Miller, CC was not happy with the state of the pitch.

A very sensible post. :top marks :agree: :aok:

Sylar
07-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Suggestion in the BBC Gossip column this morning that Riordan was watched by Swansea at the weekend.

Golden Bear
07-03-2011, 09:12 AM
I wasn't at Perth on Saturday so I shouldn't really comment on the rights and wrongs of Deeks' substitution

However CC didn't exactly replace Deek with a hammer thrower so regardless of the state of the pitch, the Manager must have felt that a ball player like Vaz Te had more to offer on the day.

Hibernia Na Eir
07-03-2011, 09:14 AM
He was rank on Saturday. Its no wonder he got hooked after 45 minutes!

Hibernia Na Eir
07-03-2011, 09:16 AM
However CC didn't exactly replace Deek with a hammer thrower so regardless of the state of the pitch, the Manager must have felt that a ball player like Vaz Te had more to offer on the day.

RVT did lots more then Deeks did. Could be a real find by Calderwood.

His barnet is just wrong though !:confused:

Beefster
07-03-2011, 09:30 AM
How come Miller and Riordan can't play on *****y pitches but Wotherspoon, Palsson and Booth can?

Big90inOz
07-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Deek was a player who could so something out of nothing, sadly these days he is a player who does nothing out of something. I was delighted when he came back but shocked at how much he had lost in his time at darkhead.

PeterboroHibee
07-03-2011, 10:35 AM
How come Miller and Riordan can't play on *****y pitches but Wotherspoon, Palsson and Booth can?

Because they actually try when things arent exactly ideal for us, where we might have to dig in to get a result.

The pitch was a shocker but I dont think thats any excuse for a player to be completely out of the game like Riordan was.

RIP
07-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I think Deeks would probably have converted the poor passback missed by Vaz Te

Whether Colin, Sodje and the fans would have put up with another 45 minutes of idleness, lack of runs, ball-watching and moaning though is anybody's guess.

Saturday was a battle and if there's one thing fellow players don't want in a scrap is a wasted jersey. Anyone giving less than 100% than they are able to risks coming into this category

Sammy7nil
07-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Plenty do appreciate him now, that doesn't mean that is actually is irreplaceable though does it. Arguably better players than Deeks have left the club over the years and we are still here.
And how can you be so sure it will be twenty years before we see a player of Deeks quality at ER. Fletcher was no bad was he? O'Connor looked a real class act. Stokes was no slouch. All here in recent seasons.

NONE of them could hit a ball left or right foot equally well, none could deliver a corner or dead ball like Deek. None could score 20 goals not playing as the main striker. None had the number of assists Deek has.

All (bar Stokes) had more effort and industry and NONE had the footballing ability of Deek.

Deek is to blame he has not progressed away from Hibs if he had applied himself what could he have done, Fletch £7 Million Rioidan £70,000 I know who the bargain is.

How do I know we will not see his like for 20 years ? Just look at the History books these players do not come along very often. The last player to score more Goals for Hibs than Deek played in the 70's.

truehibernian
07-03-2011, 11:33 AM
NONE of them could hit a ball left or right foot equally well, none could deliver a corner or dead ball like Deek. None could score 20 goals not playing as the main striker. None had the number of assists Deek has.

All (bar Stokes) had more effort and industry and NONE had the footballing ability of Deek.

Deek is to blame he has not progressed away from Hibs if he had applied himself what could he have done, Fletch £7 Million Rioidan £70,000 I know who the bargain is.

How do I know we will not see his like for 20 years ? Just look at the History books these players do not come along very often. The last player to score more Goals for Hibs than Deek played in the 70's.

Absolutely no doubting Derek's footballing ability. It's natural, god given, and not many have that talent in the SPL.

The first half was awful on Saturday and to be honest passed both Riordan and Sodje by. The distribution was poor and we resorted to the long ball to Sodje, who didn't win as much in the air. I think CC wanted a wee bit more pace and a player better suited for the wide area. The pitch was terrible and to be honest Vaz Te, making his debut, would have been so eager to get out there, it was a sensible switch.

I think Derek's form of late has actually been not bad at all. His link up play v Caley, his goal and link up play at Hamilton......show that he still has what it takes.

Thing is though, I do think that we need to start planning for his departure, and for the greater good of the team, it may be the right time to look at other players who have a different ability to Derek. Any team would miss a Derek Riordan though there is no doubt. For me he has lost a couple of yards pace, and loses out on physical battles when running at players. Would I want him to step up and take a 25 yard free kick in the 90th minute against Hearts........too right I would. The dilemna is CC's, but I think the team may benefit from one or two different types of attacker next season.

Still think he is a wonderful player on his day though :agree:

marinello59
07-03-2011, 11:36 AM

I would argue that Fletcher has more all round ability. You won't get any argument from me regarding Deek's natural striking ability. He is special and I sincerely hope he is here next season. But he isn't irreplaceable. No player is.

Borderhibbie76
07-03-2011, 11:41 AM
I would argue that Fletcher has more all round ability. You won't get any argument from me regarding Deek's natural striking ability. He is special and I sincerely hope he is here next season. But he isn't irreplaceable. No player is.

Have to agree with this...Deeks is a special talent and I sincerely hope he stays...but life will go on if he doesn't. CC clearly has an eye for a player and I have confidence he could effectively replace Riordan....but I still hope there is no need to do so...

But if he does go, he will always be remembered by me as a Hibs legend :flag:

Golden Bear
07-03-2011, 12:02 PM
We can't keep looking back and a player is only as good as his current form.

Unfortunately Deek is a 28year old who has been playing more like a 48 year old. If he wants a new contract then he'll have to prove between now and the end of the season that he's really worth it.

I'm sure CC recognises his good points and his limitations, so Deeko ------------over to you.

Woody1985
07-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Riordan says he wants to spend his career at Hibs. Calderwood says he wants Riordan at Hibs. What do we hear? ........................ deathly silence. The space between the lines couldn't be easier to read.

Calderwood already said it would be looked at come the end of the season.

That suits all parties, deek can look at his options and the manager will decide best how to use his budget based on the position at that time. What else is there for anyone to say?

Baldy Foghorn
07-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Spot on......

KWJ
07-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Calderwood already said it would be looked at come the end of the season.

That suits all parties, deek can look at his options and the manager will decide best how to use his budget based on the position at that time. What else is there for anyone to say?

Boobs?

Woody1985
07-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Boobs?

matty_f
07-03-2011, 01:41 PM

When was the last season that Deek scored 20 goals?

He's been main striker for most of this season and isn't troubling the guys at the top of the scoring charts, in fact, you need to go back to 04/05 for when Riordan hit 20 league goals.

This season, playing as the main striker, he's behind Kenny Miller,Conor Sammon, Anthony Stokes, Adam Rooney, Gary Hooper, David Goodwillie, and Nick Blackman for league goals.

And for the record, I'd be delighted if he stayed, so I'm not jumping on any anti-Riordan bandwagon or anything like that - just making the point.

--------
07-03-2011, 02:18 PM

Fletcher also has the capacity to apply himself to improve. He's a much better player now than he was when he went south.

I have a high opinion of DR's ability, and I hope very much he's with us next season, but there are times when he needs to buckle down and put the team effort before himself.

Supraninja
07-03-2011, 04:52 PM
His corner taking is odd, I've seen him take free kicks from almost the corner flag and he whips them in with pace and curl and magic etc. but our corners just seem to float lazily into the box and more often than not straight onto a defenders head or the keepers gloves.

Why not take corners like he takes free kicks? Why Derek?

Alfred E Newman
07-03-2011, 06:08 PM
His corner taking is odd, I've seen him take free kicks from almost the corner flag and he whips them in with pace and curl and magic etc. but our corners just seem to float lazily into the box and more often than not straight onto a defenders head or the keepers gloves.

Why not take corners like he takes free kicks? Why Derek?

Dearie me.

Sammy7nil
07-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Fletcher also has the capacity to apply himself to improve. He's a much better player now than he was when he went south.

I have a high opinion of DR's ability, and I hope very much he's with us next season, but there are times when he needs to buckle down and put the team effort before himself.

"When was the last season that Deek scored 20 goals?

He's been main striker for most of this season and isn't troubling the guys at the top of the scoring charts, in fact, you need to go back to 04/05 for when Riordan hit 20 league goals.

This season, playing as the main striker, he's behind Kenny Miller,Conor Sammon, Anthony Stokes, Adam Rooney, Gary Hooper, David Goodwillie, and Nick Blackman for league goals.

And for the record, I'd be delighted if he stayed, so I'm not jumping on any anti-Riordan bandwagon or anything like that - just making the point. "

"I would argue that Fletcher has more all round ability. You won't get any argument from me regarding Deek's natural striking ability. He is special and I sincerely hope he is here next season. But he isn't irreplaceable. No player is. "

I agree with you all in some way, yes Deek is replaceable but by who? Is the worry

Messi would have struggled to get 20 goals the way Hibs have played in the last 14 months prior to Feb 2011. He has oly being playing up front this season prior to that it was Nish and Stokes with Deek left midfield.

Maybe the time is right to move him on I am not sure either way, I do know he is the ONE player we have left that will get you out your seat with an Outrageous effort at goal something only he can do.

I can see a workman like replacement who of course will score goals but will Never be capable of Deeks Genius.

joebakerforever
07-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Even if he has been having a poor season by his standards, he is still our top scorer and we would be daft to not to offer him a further contract.

So he has some stinkers but for me the pluses outweigh the minuses.

For whatever reason, even by Deek's industry levels, he does appear to struggling for a decent level of fitness, and if this can improve we will reap the benefit.

silverhibee
07-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Calderwood already said it would be looked at come the end of the season.That suits all parties, deek can look at his options and the manager will decide best how to use his budget based on the position at that time. What else is there for anyone to say?

And with only nine games to go until the end of the season you would think Hibs would have started talks about a new contract for Deek some time about now, they have offered other players new contracts who are in the out of contract situation at the end of the season, why haven't they offered Deek a contract yet.

Beefster
08-03-2011, 06:05 AM
And with only nine games to go until the end of the season you would think Hibs would have started talks about a new contract for Deek some time about now, they have offered other players new contracts who are in the out of contract situation at the end of the season, why haven't they offered Deek a contract yet.

Because it's not the end of the season yet?

flash
08-03-2011, 06:17 AM

And so it begins............(yet again)

Tricla
08-03-2011, 06:28 AM

A nice, sensible post.

truehibernian
08-03-2011, 06:39 AM

There could be a number of reasons SH and for me I think CC is playing his cards close to his chest, not Hibs. Even though he will have a rough idea of his budget, I am sure CC and Adams have identified their targets for summer as well as those they want to keep. Derek will no doubt be the highest earner (or one of), so his contract is going to be vitally important to him and his future. He will no doubt want his current contract improved upon, certainly if there is interest here and abroad. Do Hibs go that extra mile, or does CC cast his net wide and get other players in for less ?? Could be brinksmanship on both sides, or it could be as simple as both parties doing what they say they are doing.....waiting until the end of the season and sitting down properly.

If he stays, of course he is an asset. But IMHO, if they stall, and he moves, Hibs will still be here and I have faith in CC finding suitable replacements to enhance the team. Strangely enough I am not flustered either way regards Derek......even though I really rate him as a player.

marinello59
08-03-2011, 06:41 AM
A nice, sensible post.

I particularly like the anti-Riordan brigade bit. Who are they by the way? And can they serve in more than one brigade at the same time?

Heckys Wheel
08-03-2011, 06:48 AM
I've never bought into the "Riordan is irreplaceable" argument.

Nor the "We're doomed if he leaves" argument.

Is he replaceable? Yes.

By somebody within our budget? Yes.

Proof? Stokes

Are there players out there who can score as many goals? Yes.

Within our budget? Yes.

And will they kiss the badge when they score? Probably not.

And herein lies the problem.

marinello59
08-03-2011, 08:22 AM

I dunno.:greengrin
I had assumed from previous statements that both player and manager were going to assess the situation at the end of the season. Although I may have misunderstood.
Who have been offered contract renewals so far? Maybe there is something about their particular situation. Younger players maybe? :dunno:
What do you think?

500miles
08-03-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't think it's any coincidence that our current improvement in form hasn't been so reliant on Derek Riordan scoring goals. The introduction of Sodje has made him the main focus of our attack, and he either goes for goal him self, or more likely, brings other players into it - like Wotherspoon.

Riordan always looked to goal first. This bumped up his goalscoring record a bit, but to the detriment of the team as a goalscoring threat. Further more, he might chase players down, but he still stops about 2 yards short of making a decent challenge, so he allows the opposition too much freedom.

Derek Riordan is NOT the future of Hibernian FC. In fact, I would go as far to predict that he will either be a sub for us, or at best, a semi regular relegation battling player in by season 2013/14. He's not looked after himself well enough to continue at a decent level for much longer.

12 16 and 10 goals over the last 3 seasons. That's not good enough for someone who takes every set piece, has been penalty taker, who offers very little when bringing in others from open play, and is an empty shirt when we don't have possession or are under pressure.

I only think Riordan has hit 20 league goals in one season. The rest of the time he seems to be averaging about 16, 17.

There are better out there, without the glaring faults.

truehibernian
08-03-2011, 09:08 AM
I think the team/squad is still stronger with a Derek Riordan than without 500miles.

The balancing act for me is what Derek wants from what could be his last lucrative contract, and whether the team can absorb the loss of him and replace with better players. I think we can, but I get splinters on my erchie by also saying Derek is a class player.

For me getting someone like Towell signed on a permanent deal, getting a good, experienced and solid keeper, and a penalty box striker is more important than re-signing Derek. But that is personal opinion. IF we could get all four, perfect. But I doubt it.

Jack
08-03-2011, 09:40 AM

... and / or misinterpret :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't think it's any coincidence that our current improvement in form hasn't been so reliant on Derek Riordan scoring goals. The introduction of Sodje has made him the main focus of our attack, and he either goes for goal him self, or more likely, brings other players into it - like Wotherspoon.

Riordan always looked to goal first. This bumped up his goalscoring record a bit, but to the detriment of the team as a goalscoring threat. Further more, he might chase players down, but he still stops about 2 yards short of making a decent challenge, so he allows the opposition too much freedom.

Derek Riordan is NOT the future of Hibernian FC. In fact, I would go as far to predict that he will either be a sub for us, or at best, a semi regular relegation battling player in by season 2013/14. He's not looked after himself well enough to continue at a decent level for much longer.

12 16 and 10 goals over the last 3 seasons. That's not good enough for someone who takes every set piece, has been penalty taker, who offers very little when bringing in others from open play, and is an empty shirt when we don't have possession or are under pressure.

I only think Riordan has hit 20 league goals in one season. The rest of the time he seems to be averaging about 16, 17.

There are better out there, without the glaring faults.

Who and at what price? I have been disappointed with his general play this season, but have seen glimpses of what he's good at. The goals have still arrived, maybe not as much as he and we would like, but the whole team has struggled not just him.

Personally i think we should be keeping him, not breaking the bank though. And if we do, and the whole team gets stronger, i'm pretty sure Deek will contribute enough in that improved side, and goals will flow again.

shagpile
08-03-2011, 11:19 AM

He is not the be all & end all. The sooner some realise this the better for HFC.
He cannot play off Sodje. He can't take people on, his heading ability is non existent, he has no pace & his attitude is that of a spoiled kid.
Sooner he goes, the sooner we will move on to better things.

Sammy7nil
08-03-2011, 11:42 AM
He is not the be all & end all. The sooner some realise this the better for HFC.
He cannot play off Sodje. He can't take people on, his heading ability is non existent, he has no pace & his attitude is that of a spoiled kid.
Sooner he goes, the sooner we will move on to better things.

That is a joke right ? Sodje will probably not play for Hibs next year he is a VERY average journeyman who has a worse shot than me.

Deek is probably the best striker of a ball left or Right foot in the past 8 - 10 in Scotland, this is backed up by most professionals including Strachan who did not like Deek.

He has more talent than ANYONE in the current Hibs squad, but it is always the same in Scotland unless you run like a headless chicken, bang in to tackles, lump high balls and fight your a waste of space and not good for the "team".

Deek is replaceable someone can come in and score goals they will not have half the talent of Deek they will not be capable of getting you out your seat with a flash of brilliance. But hey Ho lets have a team full of 6Ft + fighters.

When Deek goes we will look back with great fondness and wish he was still there.

The Modfather
08-03-2011, 11:57 AM
That is a joke right ? Sodje will probably not play for Hibs next year he is a VERY average journeyman who has a worse shot than me.

Deek is probably the best striker of a ball left or Right foot in the past 8 - 10 in Scotland, this is backed up by most professionals including Strachan who did not like Deek.

He has more talent than ANYONE in the current Hibs squad, but it is always the same in Scotland unless you run like a headless chicken, bang in to tackles, lump high balls and fight your a waste of space and not good for the "team".

Deek is replaceable someone can come in and score goals they will not have half the talent of Deek they will not be capable of getting you out your seat with a flash of brilliance. But hey Ho lets have a team full of 6Ft + fighters.

When Deek goes we will look back with great fondness and wish he was still there.

Or why not have a team of talented players with the heart of a pea, watch them dissapear froma game for 89 mins but pop up with a bit of magic for the other minute and lets see how we get on....

Why does it always have to be one extreme to the other? Is it not possible to replace Riordan without having to resort to "6Ft + fighters"? Is there no middle ground?

IMO Rirodan WAS a great player, now he's no longer an automatic first pick, with his best days behind him. When Riordan leaves/retires I feel the main thing I will remember about him (as well as the moments of magic) is the player he could have been. A talent wasted (or not fully realised) and all that...

Sammy7nil
08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Or why not have a team of talented players with the heart of a pea, watch them dissapear froma game for 89 mins but pop up with a bit of magic for the other minute and lets see how we get on....

Why does it always have to be one extreme to the other? Is it not possible to replace Riordan without having to resort to "6Ft + fighters"? Is there no middle ground?

IMO Rirodan WAS a great player, now he's no longer an automatic first pick, with his best days behind him. When Riordan leaves/retires I feel the main thing I will remember about him (as well as the moments of magic) is the player he could have been. A talent wasted (or not fully realised) and all that...

There is always middle ground and emptying the squad of talents like Zemmama and Riordan is not the way forward for me. I would love to see Palsson, Jimmy, Riordan, Zemmama and Thornhill in midfield that would be a balance.

You right Deek wasted a lot of his talent but he certainly proved it often enough.

JimBHibees
08-03-2011, 12:30 PM

While dont want him to leave and think he is a wonderful talent and great striker of a ball we seemed to do ok without him when he left first time so if he goes someone will come in, we will move on.