PDA

View Full Version : Rather Disappointed In Kilmarnock

Dashing Bob S
05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
...for only winning 2-0 at the PBS rather than 3-0, as they did on their last visit.

Standards slipping, Mixu?

Still, at least 2-0 at the PBS mirrored that memorable result in the sixties where Killie only had to draw to win the flag and deny Hearts the title on goal average, which they duly did.

As historians know, Hearts campaigned to have this silly 'goal average' law changed and reaped the benefits some twenty-odd years later, when they went to Dens Park in a title showdown, and, determined not to make the same mistake twice, came through with flying colours to complete a historic double. Though the Scottish Cup, (given the 'special relationship' they have with that tournament) was just a matter of showing up.

Ironic that this should be the very weekend a Scottish Television program marked this historic occasion.

Part/Time Supporter
05-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Not quite accurate with the 1965 scenario, Robert. Kilmarnock needed to win 2-0 at the old style bus shelter to win the league and duly did so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-93_7Gz5FTQ

Note Alan Gordon playing centre forward for them. At least he had a bit more joy at Tynecastle a few years later.

Also note Tommy McLean being described by Archie as "young". I thought he was born 45.

Part/Time Supporter
05-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Also worth watching from the same season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Z0Qa7sjDg

heretoday
05-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Yes the 1965 result caused a severe laughing fit which had long-term effects on my young frame.

It took nigh on twenty years of therapy until the day the doctor said: "You're all clear, lad!"

So I went home in fine spirits, put my feet up and turned on the radio.

It was a Saturday afternoon I recall.......

vanNISHtelroy
05-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Disappointed in them too!

Jeffries, Jeffries whats the score?

blackpoolhibs
05-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Also worth watching from the same season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Z0Qa7sjDg

Watching that game reminds me of what a lovely big stand they had at tynecastle, why did they replace it with that 10000 all singing and dancing one, with the hotel and conference centre attached?

matty_f
05-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Yes the 1965 result caused a severe laughing fit which had long-term effects on my young frame.

It took nigh on twenty years of therapy until the day the doctor said: "You're all clear, lad!"

So I went home in fine spirits, put my feet up and turned on the radio.

It was a Saturday afternoon I recall.......

:tee hee:

Hibs Class
05-03-2011, 05:38 PM
...for only winning 2-0 at the PBS rather than 3-0, as they did on their last visit.

Still, at least 2-0 at the PBS mirrored that memorable result in the sixties where Killie only had to draw to win the flag and deny Hearts the title on goal average, which they duly did.

As historians know, Hearts campaigned to have this silly 'goal average' law changed and reaped the benefits some twenty-odd years later, when they went to Dens Park in a title showdown, and, determined not to make the same mistake twice, came through with flying colours to complete a historic double. Though the Scottish Cup, (given the 'special relationship' they have with that tournament) was just a matter of showing up.

Ironic that this should be the very weekend a Scottish Television program marked this historic occasion.

The comment about the cup final is certainly spot on. I'm sure I heard recently the winning captain describe it as one of the easier finals he had played in.

Allant1981
05-03-2011, 05:45 PM
So am i, i had hearts on my coupon to win and i think they were the only team to let me down

--------
06-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Not quite accurate with the 1965 scenario, Robert. Kilmarnock needed to win 2-0 at the old style bus shelter to win the league and duly did so.

Note Alan Gordon playing centre forward for them. At least he had a bit more joy at Tynecastle a few years later.

Also note Tommy McLean being described by Archie as "young". I thought he was born 45.

Yup. A 1-0 or 3-1 defeat would have been enough for Hearts to win the League Championship on goal average (goals scored divided by goals conceded).

ALL the McLean brothers were born middle-aged. In fact, Jim was nearly 70 when HE was born - grumpy auld codger from the moment he entered the world.

brog
06-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks for happy memories Bob. Of course, a month or 2 before the Killie win, Hawrts contrived to get beaten at home 7-1 by Dundee. A mere 6-1 home defeat would have seen the loveable lads from Gorgie clinch the title.
Now why does Dundee ring a bell? :confused:

mim
06-03-2011, 05:18 PM

What a great clip. :thumbsup:
I haven't seen these events since that day, when I was one of many very happy Hibbies at Tynecastle.

I will never forget Ferguson's late save, the Waddle and Beattie bearhug or the fact that it went very, very dark towards the end of the game.

Thanks for the memories. :thumbsup:

bawheid
06-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for happy memories Bob. Of course, a month or 2 before the Killie win, Hawrts contrived to get beaten at home 7-1 by Dundee. A mere 6-1 home defeat would have seen the loveable lads from Gorgie clinch the title.
Now why does Dundee ring a bell? :confused:

:faf:

The '65 and '86 stories get re-told on here a lot. But there's always something new crops up. I didn't know that Dundee had a part to play in the original bottle crash!

lapsedhibee
06-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks for happy memories Bob. Of course, a month or 2 before the Killie win, Hawrts contrived to get beaten at home 7-1 by Dundee.

What are you saying here - that Hearts once lost seven goals at Tynecastle? That I find extrenely hard to believe.

iwasthere1972
06-03-2011, 09:53 PM
What are you saying here - that Hearts once lost seven goals at Tynecastle? That I find extrenely hard to believe.

Well I'm sure if it's happened since then they must have managed to score more than one goal.

Liberal Hibby
06-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Fear not dashing Bob. Given the quality of their second goal I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of it over the coming weeks. I'm sure the many thousand (or hundreds of thousands?) of our maroon cousins will welcome it as a reminder of the sort of quick passing football they have become used to over the years at the PBS...

Hibercelona
07-03-2011, 08:58 AM
:faf:

The '65 and '86 stories get re-told on here a lot. But there's always something new crops up. I didn't know that Dundee had a part to play in the original bottle crash!

I never knew Albert Kidd's father played for Dundee as well. :wink:

I think i'm going to look at some stats.... just to make sure that there was no "kidd" involved in any of those 5, err 6... urmmm i mean 7 goals. :greengrin

brog
07-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Well I'm sure if it's happened since then they must have managed to score more than one goal.

:agree: Believe it or not, if my old memory's still working then Yams goal in 1-7 Dundee game was actually an og by Alan Cousin, later to join Hibs!! He was only teasing them to make the final denouement against Killie even more painful, I mean Killie only having to win 1-0 at PBS to win the league would have been far too easy!! :wink: