PDA

View Full Version : Yams Why didn't Romanov go for QPR (or similar)

sunshine1875
04-03-2011, 09:20 PM
I have always wondered why Romanov, with his large fortune, did not go for an English championship team such as QPR. A team down in the second tier of English football, but with a large potential. And the opportunity to get into the Premiership and all the publicity and fortune that goes with it! Remember, it wasn't that long ago that Fulham were a second tier team and look how well they are doing now!

Any idea why? Looks like poor business planning to me.

FWIW QPR are currently in take over talks at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12650324

Removed
04-03-2011, 09:25 PM
I have always wondered why Romanov, with his large fortune, did not go for an English championship team such as QPR. A team down in the second tier of English football, but with a large potential. And the opportunity to get into the Premiership and all the publicity and fortune that goes with it! Remember, it wasn't that long ago that Fulham were a second tier team and look how well they are doing now!

Hearts are a means to an end. The big prize was getting a banking licence in the UK. That's all gone tits up as well.

Peevemor
04-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Maybe because he would have had to stump up serious cash to buy them. When he bought Hearts, he only had a couple of million quid to pay the pieman, and the rest was (interest earning) debt whish he transferred to his bank/group.

Also, he thought it'd be easy and relatively cheap to get the yams into the Champions League every year (big fish in small ponds and all that).

Woody1985
04-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Hearts are a means to an end. The big prize was getting a banking licence in the UK. That's all gone tits up as well.

:agree:

And he thought he'd get the champions league money into the bargain.

nonshinyfinish
04-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Presumably he knew that no football fan accepts a firm rogering quite like a Hertz fan.

The_Sauz
04-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Were Hearts no his 3rd choice club in Scotland :confused: I'm sure Dundee knocked him back along with someone else.
Also, a part from trying to get his UK banking licence, he was also hoping to sell off his Kaunas players!

Fife-Hibee
04-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Were Hearts no his 3rd choice club in Scotland :confused: I'm sure Dundee knocked him back along with someone else.
Also, a part from trying to get his UK banking licence, he was also hoping to sell off his Kaunas players!

think it was Dunfermline, that told him to bolt

Dashing Bob S
04-03-2011, 10:20 PM

Vladimir told me himself that he went for clubs of the stature of Dundee and Dunfermline, as they had 'some presence and tradition' within the Scottish game. He was disappointed not to get either, but someone told him about a small club in Gorgie that was in dire straights, and that would basically sell to anybody.

So hotels, new stands, world cup stars and champions leagues later, the rest is glorious history.

matty_f
04-03-2011, 10:27 PM

He wanted a team with a 'special relationship' with the Scottish Cup. Unfortunately, Clyde told him to bolt, so he ended up with the Yams.

jgl07
04-03-2011, 10:40 PM

Also Dundee and Dundee United told him where to stick it.

ekhibee
04-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm sure I heard he was after Leeds Utd before he went after Hearts, but they needed their £70 mil approx debt wiped straight away so he pulled out of the deal.

Mibbes Aye
04-03-2011, 11:28 PM
In fairness, had he gone for an English 'sleeping giant', he probably wouldn't have had the free time to indulge his real interests - competitive ballroom dancing and home-based physio for chronically-injured Chilean footballers :agree:

LeithBoozy
04-03-2011, 11:47 PM
QPR London, far to close to the met fraud-squad. :greengrin

Barney McGrew
05-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Fans of clubs like QPR would have asked questions. The Yams bend over and accept it while doffing their cap to 'Mr' Roh-mah-nov.

It's much easier to deal with blinkered idiots :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
05-03-2011, 08:07 AM

Wee team thinking.

What team could have a larger potential than Hearts? There are only two other serious competitors to them up here. He would be guaranteed a CL slot every season, which would make planning so much easier.

poolman
05-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Wee team thinking.

What team could have a larger potential than Hearts? There are only two other serious competitors to them up here. He would be guaranteed a CL slot every season, which would make planning so much easier.

Plus gauranteeing 400,000 fuc....pardon, believers, they were going to win the CL within 5 years :bye: