PDA

View Full Version : Budgie - the legend

jonny
04-03-2011, 06:55 PM
http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/john+burridge/budgie/8109175/

Out next month (4th April) - not a sales pitch, just thought some of the guys here would be interested.
Have some great memories of the man, most notably the League Cup semi Vs Rangers and the final Vs Dunfermline.

Throughout his distinguished career he was on the books of 30 different clubs!

Bishop Hibee
04-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Legend debate :devil: Budgie is the classic 'cult hero'.

His recent interview in the hootsmon was excellent reading and this is one sporting autobiography that won't be cliche filled and unrevealing.

I'd be right along to an Edinburgh book signing.

SvenNeil
04-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Loved this bit:

'He became player-manager at non-league Blyth Spartans - only to later be convicted for dealing in counterfeit leisurewear. The prosecution case was significantly strengthened by the fact that there was video evidence of half the team wearing Burridge's sportswear before an FA Cup match.'

:greengrin

Jonnyboy
04-03-2011, 11:20 PM
I understand Budgie has written this in collaboration with a good Hibby who's also a journalist

Will be a cracking read I'm sure because Budgie was a Hibs hero and a total fruitcake :greengrin

Captain Trips
04-03-2011, 11:47 PM
That double save in the Semi was what won us that cup as much as Tommy Mac and Wrighty's goals.

tanfield
04-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Just pre-ordered this on amazon tonight!

jdships
04-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Legend debate :devil: Budgie is the classic 'cult hero'.

His recent interview in the hootsmon was excellent reading and this is one sporting autobiography that won't be cliche filled and unrevealing.

I'd be right along to an Edinburgh book signing.

"Cult Hero" sums him up perfectly .
Met him a few times and you were never quite sure what he was going to come out with - very seldom talked about the same thing as you were !!.
Rhe best story I heard , can't vouch for it being true , was when he told Hately if he came near him he would break his back !!
Did a cracking job for Hibs :thumbsup:

wazoo1875
05-03-2011, 01:08 AM
"Cult Hero" sums him up perfectly .
Met him a few times and you were never quite sure what he was going to come out with - very seldom talked about the same thing as you were !!.
The best story I heard , can't vouch for it being true , was when he told Hately if he came near him he would break his back !!
Did a cracking job for Hibs :thumbsup:

Pretty sure this was a quote straight from the horses mouth in That was the team that was!
The man was defo bonkers :agree: Quality keeper to boot.

Edit: Here ye go JD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0pcQsAf8oM About 8:15

Viva_Palmeiras
05-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Can't jump never comes off his line
If was under the Scrutiny Hibs keepers are now under I wonder how long til he was hounded out would be interested I'm his views of the current any recent batch of Hibs keepers

jdships
05-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Pretty sure this was a quote straight from the horses mouth in That was the team that was!

Many thanks for clearing that up ! :thumbsup:
"Pure dead brilliant " :greengrin

Greentinted
05-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Remenber it well. Think Miller was a bit off the mark in his recollection stating, as he does, that all Hibs supporters had a problem with his Rangers connections.

fife hfc
05-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Remenber it well. Think Miller was a bit off the mark in his recollection stating, as he does, that all Hibs supporters had a problem with his Rangers connections.

disagree. I remember standing in the terracing and hearing many times that he was a hun ****** and an orange barsteward. I think he was good for Hibs but many don't and are influenced by his Rangers connections. Also the reason why many say Leighton was better than Goram, when though good was nowhere near Gorams class.

I loved watching Budgie and he was mental but one was a member of cup winning team so:not worth

Part/Time Supporter
05-03-2011, 07:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKO5000Ljmo

hibbybrian
05-03-2011, 07:42 PM
disagree. I remember standing in the terracing and hearing many times that he was a hun ****** and an orange barsteward. I think he was good for Hibs but many don't and are influenced by his Rangers connections.

I also remember standing on the terracing when Hibs were defending a corner with 11 players including Mikey Weir in the box and wondering why. Maybe it was more to do with his perceived negativity than his Ibrox connections that the fans didn't take to him. Despite that in his later years he signed some great attacking players, but by that time he was past his sell by date.

As an aside, I took an overseas visitor to a Hibs training session and Alex Miller took the time to chat and invite us to Er where he personally took us on a tour of the facilities and Board room and couldn't have been more helpful. Despite the dour expression in interviews, he came across as a very personable bloke who gave his all for the Hibs and having met him I had no problems with his past connections.

wazoo1875
05-03-2011, 07:43 PM

I'm one who does not care where someones past has been spent and always enjoyed watching millers teams at home, not so much away and very rarely against the other lot!
The man guided us to a cup win, within a whisker of another one and a few Scottish semis iirc. I don't really know what more some folk expected