PDA

View Full Version : NHC Sir Alex Ferguson charged by English FA

Sylar
03-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Sir Alex Ferguson has been charged by the English FA for "improper conduct" following his comments in the wake of their defeat at Stamford Bridge, suggesting that "feared the worst as soon as the referee was confirmed" and that "for the third year in a row [a bad decision from a ref cost them the game]" at Stamford Bridge (the irony is astounding).

Edited with proper quotes from BBC website, instead of verbal quotes from BBC radio.

steviecarnie
03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Sir Alex Ferguson has been charged by the English FA for "improper conduct" following his comments in the wake of their defeat at Stamford Bridge, suggesting that "the game was over as soon as the referee was confirmed" and that "they never get anything" at Stamford Bridge (the irony is astounding).

why have you used qoutation marks when thats not what he actually said??

his actual words were - "You hope you get a really strong referee in games like this," said Ferguson afterwards. "It was a major game for both clubs and you want a fair referee. You want a strong referee anyway and we didn't get that. I don't know why he's got the game. I must say that when I saw who was refereeing it, I feared the worst."

all fair points imo, 13 games atkinson has referreed for chelsea since 2006 - 12 wins 1 draw

Sylar
03-03-2011, 03:46 PM

his actual words were - "You hope you get a really strong referee in games like this," said Ferguson afterwards. "It was a major game for both clubs and you want a fair referee. You want a strong referee anyway and we didn't get that. I don't know why he's got the game. I must say that when I saw who was refereeing it, I feared the worst."

I was going on what Radio 1 said when reporting the story. They seemed to suggest those were his words. I did notice that wasn't quite the case when looking at the BBC website report on the incident mind you :agree:

Either way, they're quite right in taking action. I hope the SFA will also grow a pair and make an example of those who often go unpunished in Scotland, following last night :agree:

Wotherspiniesta
03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I was going on what Radio 1 said when reporting the story. They seemed to suggest those were his words. I did notice that wasn't quite the case when looking at the BBC website report on the incident mind you :agree:

Either way, they're quite right in taking action. I hope the SFA will also grow a pair and make an example of those who often go unpunished in Scotland, following last night :agree:

Very funny. Regan's said his piece. Now I fully expect it to be forgotten about.

As for the original point, it's hardly worth mentioning.
Referee makes mistakes
Manager critices referee
Manager gets punished.... Not even worth commenting on.

Sylar
03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Very funny. Regan's said his piece. Now I fully expect it to be forgotten about.

Regan spoke before they announced this "summit" though, did he not?

Sylar
03-03-2011, 03:54 PM

As for the original point, it's hardly worth mentioning.
Referee makes mistakes
Manager critices referee
Manager gets punished.... Not even worth commenting on.

Well, it is and it isn't - you see, he's inferring that the referee is (and has in the past) cost them points/goals against Chelsea with a regularity at Stamford Bridge. That to me, suggests that he's suggesting Atkinson is less than honest, rather than just making mistakes.

Ferguson resorts to slamming officials quite regularly when United fail to win and evidently doesn't learn. The fines aren't enough to deter his comments though, so the action will no doubt be redundant.

Without a referee, there's no football, and the lack of respect the top clubs particularly show to referees is appalling (maybe as a result of extra pressure from expectations?)

HibbyAndy
03-03-2011, 03:54 PM
I watched Fergusons interview after and i recall him saying that the chelsea boy with the heid of hair should have been sent off and the game would therefore have changed, Spot on IMO..But then if Rooney had been ( Which make no mistake he should have) been sent off against Wigan wouldnt the game have changed then too? He cant have his cake and eat it.

Man u may well have stil beat Wigan with 10 men, But no way would they have won 4-0 with ten men, Its quite feasible the League may go down to goal difference and that game where Rooney should have walked makes a real difference.

I hear what Ferguson is saying, I do..But he cant have it all his way which he does.

haagsehibby
03-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Well, it is and it isn't - you see, he's inferring that the referee is (and has in the past) cost them points/goals against Chelsea with a regularity at Stamford Bridge. That to me, suggests that he's suggesting Atkinson is less than honest, rather than just making mistakes.

Ferguson resorts to slamming officials quite regularly when United fail to win and evidently doesn't learn. The fines aren't enough to deter his comments though, so the action will no doubt be redundant.

Without a referee, there's no football, and the lack of respect the top clubs particularly show to referees is appalling (maybe as a result of extra pressure from expectations?)

No You're inferring that, Ferguson might be implying it though :wink:

Wotherspiniesta
03-03-2011, 04:07 PM
It's not really worth a debate.

He's criticised the referee after he had a shocker and been charged for it.

End of.

Hibs Class
03-03-2011, 04:10 PM

all fair points imo, 13 games atkinson has referreed for chelsea since 2006 - 12 wins 1 draw

Chelsea are a top team and win a lot of their games. You could probably find refs with a similar record in Man U (or Arsenal, or the OF) games. It doesn't prove anything.

Woody1985
03-03-2011, 05:01 PM
I watched Fergusons interview after and i recall him saying that the chelsea boy with the heid of hair should have been sent off and the game would therefore have changed, Spot on IMO..But then if Rooney had been ( Which make no mistake he should have) been sent off against Wigan wouldnt the game have changed then too? He cant have his cake and eat it.

Man u may well have stil beat Wigan with 10 men, But no way would they have won 4-0 with ten men, Its quite feasible the League may go down to goal difference and that game where Rooney should have walked makes a real difference.

I hear what Ferguson is saying, I do..But he cant have it all his way which he does.

The last paragraph made me laugh given that it's a contradiction.:greengrin

Removed
03-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Read it 3 times and my heid is bursting now :greengrin

Pretty Boy
03-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Surely this can't be right. Man Utd had a player sent off, a dodgy penalty given against them and now the manager has been charged with misconduct or something.

I thought there was a big conspiracy to ensure nothing ever went against Man Utd?

HH81
03-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Surely this can't be right. Man Utd had a player sent off, a dodgy penalty given against them and now the manager has been charged with misconduct or something.

I thought there was a big conspiracy to ensure nothing ever went against Man Utd?

let's hope the tide is changing. It would be about time too. 10 game ban please. Then again for it to change we might need another 10 decisions to go against them.

HibbyAndy
03-03-2011, 07:09 PM

He is right in what he saying:agree: Im merely stating that he cant have it both ways, I.E When decisions go Man united's way.:greengrin

delbert
03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Ferguson is a genius, but also a drunken hypocrite. Remember it was his management team who, when asked about the Rooney incident on Saturday, said that we should'nt get into debates about refereeing decisions. 72 hours later and who initiates the next debate on refereeing decisions, as I said, genius, complete and utter twonk of the highest order, but stuff like this is comedy gold !

thebakerboy
03-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Sir Alex Ferguson has been charged by the English FA for "improper conduct" following his comments in the wake of their defeat at Stamford Bridge, suggesting that "feared the worst as soon as the referee was confirmed" and that "for the third year in a row [a bad decision from a ref cost them the game]" at Stamford Bridge (the irony is astounding).

Edited with proper quotes from BBC website, instead of verbal quotes from BBC radio.

As Alex Ferguson does not speak to the BBC I don't see how they could have verbal quotes on BBC Radio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but who gives a flying one anyway Hibees have won 5 on the trot:cgwa:hibees

LaMotta
03-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Ferguson is a genius, but also a drunken hypocrite. Remember it was his management team who, when asked about the Rooney incident on Saturday, said that we should'nt get into debates about refereeing decisions. 72 hours later and who initiates the next debate on refereeing decisions, as I said, genius, complete and utter twonk of the highest order, but stuff like this is comedy gold !

:tee hee: Too true

Hibs Class
16-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Found guilty, and given a 5 match touchline ban - seems fair (if a little lenient)

steviecarnie
16-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Found guilty, and given a 5 match touchline ban - seems fair (if a little lenient)

will appeal and win

presidence* - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was given a 12-game ban from the dugout for pushing a fourth official in 2000 but that was reduced to one game on appeal

Sylar
16-03-2011, 05:40 PM
will appeal and win

presidence* - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was given a 12-game ban from the dugout for pushing a fourth official in 2000 but that was reduced to one game on appeal

Would just show the FA to be utterly spineless, yet again.

They always back down on punishing managers from the so-called bigger clubs.

steviecarnie
16-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Would just show the FA to be utterly spineless, yet again.

They always back down on punishing managers from the so-called bigger clubs.

scared of a lawsuit, until referees are held accountable or need to speak to the media like managers/assistants/players and explain there reasons for a decision, this will continue to happen. and same goes for spl/epl not so much champs league as different countries have different interpretations on what is a foul (high foot, shoulder to shoulder's etc)

Hibs90
16-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Falkirk and Wotherspooniesta will be crying themself's to sleep :wink: