PDA

View Full Version : CC Manager of the Month & CB Young Player of the Month

R'Albin
03-03-2011, 05:49 AM
Sorry If posted elsewhere, Colin Calderwood has deservedly won manager of the month :thumbsup: and also callum booth has won young player of the month:flag:

Well done Colin Calderwood and callum booth:cgwa

francobaresi
03-03-2011, 06:19 AM
It's downhill from here then:wink:

Liam89
03-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Brilliant! Well done CB and CC!

TornadoHibby
03-03-2011, 07:09 AM
.....and thoroughly deserved for both of them if I may say! :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
03-03-2011, 07:16 AM
I'm sure we will shortly see a flurry of posts from people apologising for saying he should be sacked. You know who you are, so come on - be men (or women) about it and admit you haven't got a scooby.

brydekirk
03-03-2011, 07:19 AM
:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa

BigKev
03-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Great news - well deserved :agree:

Cabbage East
03-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Link?

PeeJay
03-03-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm sure we will shortly see a flurry of posts from people apologising for saying he should be sacked. You know who you are, so come on - be men (or women) about it and admit you haven't got a scooby.

I criticised CC at the time for his abysmal performance as manager that dragged us deep into the relegation zone - particularly after that game against the part timers from Ayr - but that was then and this is now - he deserves the MoM Award and I wish him all the best for the future. Much rather see us winning and moving up the table than losing and going down it - so keep up the good work CC, knew you'd come through in the end :applause:.

stokesmessiah
03-03-2011, 09:30 AM

I agree with you in that it was way too early for people to say that he should be sacked but i can understand where the criticism came from. However the flip side of that is that for all these people taking the moral high ground now, surely its also too early after 5 games to have him labelled the next best thing?

For the record i am a big fan of CC and am not trying to knock his achievments i just think there should be a balance to the debate.

However, the way he has handled himself has been very dignified and the signings shrewd...long may it continue and i hope in another 5 games we are celebrating another 5 in a row.

GGTTH

:hibees

Wilson
03-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Well done CC AND CB :not worth

Golden Bear
03-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Absolutely excellent.

The good news just keeps on coming.

:thumbsup:

Stuarty1875
03-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Well deserved. CC :hibees

Beefster
03-03-2011, 09:52 AM
I criticised CC at the time for his abysmal performance as manager that dragged us deep into the relegation zone

I don't want to get into another debate about Calderwood and I've no idea if any of this applies to you but the folk criticising him had no idea about the problems he had to contend with behind the scenes or the work he was doing. He wasn't given adequate time either before some supporters started laying on the pressure and starting to criticise his speech, body language and other completely irrelevant stuff.

FR is right - some posters do have some humble pie to eat. He hasn't proven himself to be the messiah but he's proven himself not to be the clueless huddy that some seemed to revel in making him out to be.

PS. I'm not sure we were ever in the relegation zone but I don't think you can be 'deep' in a one place zone.

itchy07
03-03-2011, 09:54 AM
:flag::cgwa:cgwa:flag:

"Short term there will be (doubters), long term there won't."

basehibby
03-03-2011, 09:58 AM
:thumbsup: Well done to Colin and Calum - hopefully the first of many :thumbsup:

PeeJay
03-03-2011, 10:00 AM
PS. I'm not sure we were ever in the relegation zone but I don't think you can be 'deep' in a one place zone.

Second/third bottom is not the relegation zone? Guess you're right about one relegation spot...

The "behind the scenes" stuff is a fair point - but, does it account for losing to part timers - not really! All in the past now - I hope :greengrin

Keith_M
03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
TBF, I've already read some posts admitting people were wrong to suggest he should get the sack.

Fantastic achievement getting MoM award. I'm sure CC would be the first to say that nothing's really been achieved yet. I like that about him, always looking for improvement.

Wilson
03-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Second/third bottom is not the relegation zone? Guess you're right about one relegation spot...

The "behind the scenes" stuff is a fair point - but, does it account for losing to part timers - not really! All in the past now - I hope :greengrin

It isn't like Calderwood is the only manager that has ever had to deal with things happening behind the scenes either. Some even manage to deal with it and turn results around with the resources they have. Calderwood couldn't but he is fortunate that Hibs were in a position to allow him to sign his way out of trouble.

If the results are bad the manager will get criticism - some of it over the top. Colin's results deserved criticism - he knew that and he accepted it with good grace.

Lets try and get past it and stop point scoring in what should have been a positive thread.

Albanian Hibs
03-03-2011, 10:59 AM
:applause: well done to both Colin and Callum

--------
03-03-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't want to get into another debate about Calderwood and I've no idea if any of this applies to you but the folk criticising him had no idea about the problems he had to contend with behind the scenes or the work he was doing. He wasn't given adequate time either before some supporters started laying on the pressure and starting to criticise his speech, body language and other completely irrelevant stuff.

FR is right - some posters do have some humble pie to eat. He hasn't proven himself to be the messiah but he's proven himself not to be the clueless huddy that some seemed to revel in making him out to be.

:agree: Some of the stuff was unbelievable.

Not easy to deal with the situation he inherited - some folks still want to defend Hughes, but IMO 'clueless huddy' sums HIM up totally accurately. CC's quieter style is deceptive - IMO he's a lot more forceful and determined than he might appear at first sight.

IMO Hughes' squad without the January/February additions would have taken us down. Thankfully we arrived at a transfer window which CC used to good effect to revive the side.

We'll learn a wee bit more about him on Saturday - how does he deal with Stack's absence?

And BTW - I think the LAST time we won 6 top division League games on the trot was in 1969, after Bob Shankly resigned. We were managerless for about 6 weeks before Willie McFarlane came in, and won all our games in that period, plus Willie's first game, away at Ibrox, making a winning run of SEVEN on the trot. The run went as follows:

St Mirren H 2-0
Partick Thistle H 5-1
Celtic A 2-1
Raith H 3-1
Hearts A 2-0
Morton H 1-0
Rangers A 3-1

So it's no small thing to be looking for our sixth win at Perth this weekend.

PeterboroHibee
03-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Well done to both of them, well deserved. Just hope the manager of the month curse doesnt kick in now!

soupy
03-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Aye well done guys, keep up the good work. GGTTH

Ritchie
03-03-2011, 11:18 AM
we're gonna win the league
and now you're gonna believe us
and now you're gonna believe us
and now you're gonna believe uuuuuuussss

:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa

fat freddy
03-03-2011, 11:24 AM
if an anagram could give a thumbs up to Calum Booth he would get...

'A Cool Thumb'

i gave the Colin Calderwood his anagram when he fist signed for us but its more apt now so its worth repeating...

'I Crowned Cool Lad'

Ritchie
03-03-2011, 11:25 AM
if an anagram could give a thumbs up to Calum Booth he would get...

'A Cool Thumb'

i gave the Colin Calderwood his anagram when he fist signed for us but its more apt now so its worth repeating...

'I Crowned Cool Lad'

you my sir.... are a genuis! :agree: :wink:

Dinkydoo
03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Well done to both of them :thumbsup:

As for some of the people that were so eager to slate CC let's remember that last two (if not three) managers couldn't get the best out of some of these players and collectively, their confidence was rock bottom - and even though we had a good spell at the start of last season, everyone could see that Yogi hadn't sorted the "lazy man" mentality that had been in place as far back as the end of the JC era, we were winning although it wasn't too long before we slipped back down to the kind iof results that Mixu was getting week in, week out.

Although I did expect CC to have more of an impact when he arrived you can't really blame him for not being able to sort out the same problems that the last two managers couldn't without bringing in any new faces.

With a few new players and five wins on the trot things are certainley looking up.

Onwards and upwards.

CallumLaidlaw
03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I was interested by this "curse" of manager of the month, so I had a wee look at our results after our manager has won MoM. Looks like this -

MoM September 2009 – John Hughes – October results – DWDW – avg 2pts a game
MoM March 2009 – Mixu – April Results - DDL– avg 0.66pts a game
MoM Feb 2008 – Mixu – March results – LWLL – avg 0.75pts a game
MoM September 2007 – Collins – October results – WLL – avg 1pt a game
MoM November 2005 – Mowbray – December results – LLWL – avg 0.75pts a game
MoM December 2004 – Mowbray – January results – DWW – avg 2.33pts per game
MoM Oct 2002 – Williamson – November results – LLWWD – avg 1.4pts a game
MoM Oct 2000 – McLeish – November results – WDLDD – avg 1.2pts a game

Maybe it is a good thing that we only have 3 games this month :wink:
6pts from 9 would be better than our usual post-MoM month

Overall, we average 1.258pts per game in the month after a MoM award

--------
03-03-2011, 12:08 PM
I was interested by this "curse" of manager of the month, so I had a wee look at our results after our manager has won MoM. Looks like this -

MoM September 2009 – John Hughes – October results – DWDW – avg 2pts a game
MoM March 2009 – Mixu – April Results - DDL– avg 0.66pts a game
MoM Feb 2008 – Mixu – March results – LWLL – avg 0.75pts a game
MoM September 2007 – Collins – October results – WLL – avg 1pt a game
MoM November 2005 – Mowbray – December results – LLWL – avg 0.75pts a game
MoM December 2004 – Mowbray – January results – DWW – avg 2.33pts per game
MoM Oct 2002 – Williamson – November results – LLWWD – avg 1.4pts a game
MoM Oct 2000 – McLeish – November results – WDLDD – avg 1.2pts a game

Maybe it is a good thing that we only have 2 games this month :wink:
3pts from 6 would be better than our usual post-MoM month

WE have 3 - Hamilton on Tueday past, St Johnstone on Saturday, and Celtic - haven't we?

3 from 3 wouldn't be too good.

CallumLaidlaw
03-03-2011, 12:13 PM
WE have 3 - Hamilton on Tueday past, St Johnstone on Saturday, and Celtic - haven't we?

3 from 3 wouldn't be too good.

oops. Forgot that Tuesdays game was on the 1st :taxi

6 from 9 required then :wink::aok:

ancienthibby
03-03-2011, 12:17 PM
M Kello SPL Player of the Month per EEN.

Not a word anywhere on CC and CB!

As asked by another poster, anyone got a link - also nought on the HFC website!

iwasthere1972
03-03-2011, 12:18 PM
:agree: Some of the stuff was unbelievable.

Not easy to deal with the situation he inherited - some folks still want to defend Hughes, but IMO 'clueless huddy' sums HIM up totally accurately. CC's quieter style is deceptive - IMO he's a lot more forceful and determined than he might appear at first sight.

IMO Hughes' squad without the January/February additions would have taken us down. Thankfully we arrived at a transfer window which CC used to good effect to revive the side.

We'll learn a wee bit more about him on Saturday - how does he deal with Stack's absence?

And BTW - I think the LAST time we won 6 top division League games on the trot was in 1969, after Bob Shankly resigned. We were managerless for about 6 weeks before Willie McFarlane came in, and won all our games in that period, plus Willie's first game, away at Ibrox, making a winning run of SEVEN on the trot. The run went as follows:

St Mirren H 2-0
Partick Thistle H 5-1
Celtic A 2-1
Raith H 3-1
Hearts A 2-0
Morton H 1-0
Rangers A 3-1

So it's no small thing to be looking for our sixth win at Perth this weekend.

That was quite an achievement when you consider that the 3 away games were against the old firm and Hearts. Funnily enough the only game I remember being at was the one at Ibrox only because I had separated from my mates and ended up being in the Rangers end. Remember the looks on the huns faces when I celebrated our first goal. Living dangerously I also celebrated the other two goals before sneaking out quietly.

Congratulations CC and CB.

:cgwa :cgwa :cgwa

--------
03-03-2011, 12:18 PM
oops. Forgot that Tuesdays game was on the 1st :taxi

6 from 9 required then :wink::aok:

I quote from my own post #21 -

"I think the LAST time we won 6 top division League games on the trot was in 1969, after Bob Shankly resigned. We were managerless for about 6 weeks before Willie McFarlane came in, and won all our games in that period, plus Willie's first game, away at Ibrox, making a winning run of SEVEN on the trot.

The run went as follows:

St Mirren H 2-0
Partick Thistle H 5-1
Celtic A 2-1
Raith H 3-1
Hearts A 2-0
Morton H 1-0
Rangers A 3-1

So it's no small thing to be looking for our sixth win at Perth this weekend."

The home matches in that run were reasonably straightforward, but successive away wins at Parkhead, Tynecastle and Ibrox were something I can't ever remember us doing before or since.

--------
03-03-2011, 12:22 PM
That was quite an achievement when you consider that the 3 away games were against the old firm and Hearts. Funnily enough the only game I remember being at was the one at Ibrox only because I had separated from my mates and ended up being in the Rangers end. Remember the looks on the huns faces when I celebrated our first goal. Living dangerously I also celebrated the other two goals before sneaking out quietly.

Congratulations CC and CB.

Jings! Another man as auld as me! :greengrin

I remember the Celtic game most clearly - we were given no chance but were comprehensively the better team on the day. I think Johnny Hamilton scored the winner, but I'm not sure. I was only 19, and (I regret to have to admit it) rather the worse for wear.... :rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
03-03-2011, 12:23 PM
I criticised CC at the time for his abysmal performance as manager that dragged us deep into the relegation zone - particularly after that game against the part timers from Ayr - but that was then and this is now - he deserves the MoM Award and I wish him all the best for the future. Much rather see us winning and moving up the table than losing and going down it - so keep up the good work CC, knew you'd come through in the end :applause:.

Fair play to you for this. :aok:

I agree with you in that it was way too early for people to say that he should be sacked but i can understand where the criticism came from. However the flip side of that is that for all these people taking the moral high ground now, surely its also too early after 5 games to have him labelled the next best thing?

For the record i am a big fan of CC and am not trying to knock his achievments i just think there should be a balance to the debate.

However, the way he has handled himself has been very dignified and the signings shrewd...long may it continue and i hope in another 5 games we are celebrating another 5 in a row.

GGTTH

:hibees

Of course it's too early, it's just I've got a gut feeling that his successes have been down to skill than luck. For people to give him pelters for being unable to get results out of the shambles Yogi left was out of order.

There seemed to be an argument that he lacked motivational skills. Given that the previous manager got the sack because he couldn't make them play, it's fair to argue that the players themselves were the problem.

Yet in a fit of pant wetting hysteria in January, some on here were putting all the blame on Calderwood, Petrie and the board. Some ex players - who really should know better - also came out and made outrageous statements.

Regrettably the lesson will not be learned, and the next time things go a bit askew, these same people will be on here again making things worse for Hibs. I fear Calderwood will get the Miller treatment - accepted when he gets it right, but calls for a taxi everytime he gets it wrong.

The only thing that can save him is to develop a toothy grin and start speaking like one of the YLT.

--------
03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Fair play to you for this. :aok:

Of course it's too early, it's just I've got a gut feeling that his successes have been down to skill than luck. For people to give him pelters for being unable to get results out of the shambles Yogi left was out of order.

There seemed to be an argument that he lacked motivational skills. Given that the previous manager got the sack because he couldn't make them play, it's fair to argue that the players themselves were the problem.

Yet in a fit of pant wetting hysteria in January, some on here were putting all the blame on Calderwood, Petrie and the board. Some ex players - who really should know better - also came out and made outrageous statements.

Regrettably the lesson will not be learned, and the next time things go a bit askew, these same people will be on here again making things worse for Hibs. I fear Calderwood will get the Miller treatment - accepted when he gets it right, but calls for a taxi everytime he gets it wrong.

The only thing that can save him is to develop a toothy grin and start speaking like one of the YLT.

And a skin as thick as a rhino's...

iwasthere1972
03-03-2011, 12:27 PM
IIRC Colin Calderwood won Manager of the Month while at Notts Forest and sold the award on Ebay to raise funds for a local hospital. Raised a couple of grand. :aok:

An award could be coming your way soon if you have some spare cash. :thumbsup:

Riordans Boots
03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Sorry If posted elsewhere, Colin Calderwood has deservedly won manager of the month :thumbsup: and also callum booth has won young player of the month:flag:

Well done Colin Calderwood and callum booth:cgwa

Not doubting you for a minute and I am chuffed about this. I have looked for a link/info on this.

Have you heard this or know someone in the know :confused:

HibbyAndy
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Not doubting you for a minute and I am chuffed about this. I have looked for a link/info on this.

Have you heard this or know someone in the know :confused:

I read it on SSN :greengrin

iwasthere1972
03-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Me too. Just been on

Riordans Boots
03-03-2011, 01:06 PM

Goin find the link then Andy and post it :aok:

iwasthere1972
03-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Goin find the link then Andy and post it :aok:

It's on the telly. :agree:

johnrebus
03-03-2011, 01:14 PM

"I think the LAST time we won 6 top division League games on the trot was in 1969, after Bob Shankly resigned. We were managerless for about 6 weeks before Willie McFarlane came in, and won all our games in that period, plus Willie's first game, away at Ibrox, making a winning run of SEVEN on the trot.

The run went as follows:

St Mirren H 2-0
Partick Thistle H 5-1
Celtic A 2-1
Raith H 3-1
Hearts A 2-0
Morton H 1-0
Rangers A 3-1

The home matches in that run were reasonably straightforward, but successive away wins at Parkhead, Tynecastle and Ibrox were something I can't ever remember us doing before or since.

I think that Pat Stanton scored on his birthday in the win at Darkheid. The Huns match is where Marinello scored twice on the day that McFarlane switched all the forwards numbers around to confuse the enemy - and it did!

Happy days.

:not worth

iwasthere1972
03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Jings! Another man as auld as me! :greengrin

I remember the Celtic game most clearly - we were given no chance but were comprehensively the better team on the day. I think Johnny Hamilton scored the winner, but I'm not sure. I was only 19, and (I regret to have to admit it) rather the worse for wear.... :rolleyes:

You weren't as drunk as you thought. Anyway I was only 12 and wasn't even old enough to buy winegums.

http://ihibs.co.uk/game.php?gameid=3094

LeithBoozy
03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Well done on your awards, both very well deserved. :agree:

Riordans Boots
03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9413146.stm
:thumbsup::flag: :thumbsup::flag:

Sherlock Jones
03-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Excellent stuff. Well done guys :thumbsup:

jdships
03-03-2011, 01:55 PM

The run went as follows:

St Mirren H 2-0
Partick Thistle H 5-1
Celtic A 2-1
Raith H 3-1
Hearts A 2-0
Morton H 1-0
Rangers A 3-1

Can you remember where we finished in the league that year ?
Think we reached LC final and finishing 12rh comes to mind :confused:

Need to be careful discussing things that happened "100 years ago" or we will be getting taken to task :greengrin:wink:

--------
03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Can you remember where we finished in the league that year ?
Think we reached LC final and finishing 12rh comes to mind :confused:

Need to be careful discussing things that happened "100 years ago" or we will be getting taken to task :greengrin:wink:

Oh dear - NOW you're asking!

Third (I think).

I know we qualified for the Fairs' Cup because it was the Liverpool tie in the third round the following season that led to Willie's resignation.

We didn't do well in the Cups IIRC, but we did reach the third round of the Fairs' - went out on away goals to Hamburg, I think.

R'Albin
03-03-2011, 02:56 PM
M Kello SPL Player of the Month per EEN.

Not a word anywhere on CC and CB!

As asked by another poster, anyone got a link - also nought on the HFC website!

Apologies I couldn't find one online, just read it in the p and j.

ancienthibby
03-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Apologies I couldn't find one online, just read it in the p and j.

No apologies needed Rabin - thanks for the info!

I assume the P&J must have broken an embargo on the publication of the story, since you posted it around 7 this morning and nowhere else had it before early afternoon!

The Beeb side managed to get it on their site just before 3!

Calum and Colin must have some reluctance in having their foties taken!

But it's a really well done to CC, CB and ALL the players who have now given us FIVE IN A ROW!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
03-03-2011, 03:15 PM
No apologies needed Rabin - thanks for the info!

I assume the P&J must have broken an embargo on the publication of the story, since you posted it around 7 this morning and nowhere else had it before early afternoon!

The Beeb side managed to get it on their site just before 3!

Calum and Colin must have some reluctance in having their foties taken!

But it's a really well done to CC, CB and ALL the players who have now given us FIVE IN A ROW!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now on the official SPL site.

http://www.scotprem.com/content/

Pretty Boy
03-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Well deserved by both. Congratulations to them.:thumbsup:

Also fair enough Kello got player of the month as well.

There must be something well wrong, not an OF player or manager in sight and 3 awards coming to Edinburgh.

FromTheCapital
03-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Well done CC and Boothy... Really deserved it too...

TPAKA
03-03-2011, 11:27 PM
.....and thoroughly deserved for both of them if I may say! :agree:

Indeed. Young Booth has been superb, though as has Towell, Wothwerspoon & Hanlon have come onto their game too, but Booth's goals and overall performance's have deserved the award. Caldo, deserves it for being a man IMO. Stood by what he was saying, hasn't ranted and raved, has remained calm and composed and the players are buying into what he's aiming to bring to the club. A bit stability, a bit belief and it's paying off.

Well done and long may it continue for them both, the team and us the fans. I think they deserve a great support ala the one IIRC a Tuesday night a few years back, where we virtually took over the ground and the team won. Mon the Hibs...
:cgwa

TPAKA
03-03-2011, 11:35 PM

The run went as follows:

St Mirren H 2-0
Partick Thistle H 5-1
Celtic A 2-1
Raith H 3-1
Hearts A 2-0
Morton H 1-0
Rangers A 3-1

Cheers for that Doddie. Interesting piece of info. Whilst we have done well against the teams mentioned at times, particularly the OF away, as stated I can't ever recall us doing that in successive away games either.

Just be great to keep us on this roll, even if we have to grind out some results, confidence grows from that, players start to play more "football", their touch improves etc and we start to win with a bit style thrown in at times.

Long may it continue. :aok:

HNA4
04-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Colin and Callum are sponsored by hibs.net of course :thumbsup: