PDA

View Full Version : NHC Kaye Adams This Morning (Is The OF Game worth the 'murder and mayhem?')

Greentinted
02-03-2011, 03:15 PM
CALL KAYE (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00yrn9g/Call_Kaye_02_03_2011)

Interesting calls from people who 'sound' as though they should know better. Worth a listen if you have a spare hour or so.

(Admins: Not sure if any copyright issues are breached but if so delete away if appropriate)

Phil D. Rolls
02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Is the OF game a safety valve, or is it the cause of sectarian pressure? Personally, I think that these twallies will fight about anything that gives them an excuse to forget about the toilets they live in, whether it's in Central Fife, Ayrshire or Lanarkshire.

The bottom line is they would be absolute nobodies without this chance to make an impression on a nation that would rather they didn't exist.

WindyMiller
02-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Is the OF game a safety valve, or is it the cause of sectarian pressure? Personally, I think that these twallies will fight about anything that gives them an excuse to forget about the toilets they live in, whether it's in Central Fife, Ayrshire or Lanarkshire.

The bottom line is they would be absolute nobodies without this chance to make an impression on a nation that would rather they didn't exist.

Unfortunately FR the Glesga Meedya stoke the flames and then stand back and wait to "cover" the fall-out.

Golden Bear
02-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Kaye should stick to "wummin issues" on her program as she hasn't a scooby about fitba.

Owain_1987
02-03-2011, 04:26 PM
They have nee idea what they are on about! :agree: They got rid of the old firm game then the weegie will just fight in the street!

Keith_M
02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Kaye should stick to "wummin issues" on her program as she hasn't a scooby about fitba.

probably doesn't know the offside rule anyway.

Hibs Class
02-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Agree. She should have picked a wummin issue like the sharp increase in domestic violence that follows OF games and asked if it was worth the mayhem.

Keith_M
02-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Agree. She should have picked a wummin issue like the sharp increase in domestic violence that follows OF games and asked if it was worth the mayhem.

What's wrong, love, you got PMT?

:greengrin

:offski:

ancienthibby
02-03-2011, 04:46 PM
CALL KAYE (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00yrn9g/Call_Kaye_02_03_2011)

Interesting calls from people who 'sound' as though they should know better. Worth a listen if you have a spare hour or so.

(Admins: Not sure if any copyright issues are breached but if so delete away if appropriate)

Listening to Kaye Adams on Radio Scotland is like listening to an overblown ego unleashed on an unsuspecting nation!!

Jim44
02-03-2011, 04:50 PM

Is that you Andy? :greengrin

Hibs Class
02-03-2011, 04:57 PM
What's wrong, love, you got PMT?

:greengrin

:offski:

Sorry - on mobile so couldn't find a tongue in cheek smiley

Geo_1875
02-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Loved the public schoolboy type who reckoned we should extol the virtues of what he thinks is one of the few world class cultural events in Scotland. Said we should be able to ignore a few naughty songs to revel in the magnificence of the Old Firm derby. Policeman (Les Gray?) told him he would be arrested if he was caught singing those songs. I think both of them were at the wind-up.

ancienthibby
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Loved the public schoolboy type who reckoned we should extol the virtues of what he thinks is one of the few world class cultural events in Scotland. Said we should be able to ignore a few naughty songs to revel in the magnificence of the Old Firm derby. Policeman (Les Gray?) told him he would be arrested if he was caught singing those songs. I think both of them were at the wind-up.

What you mean is that was yet another English import and here are his own words: 'the old firm game is one of the few assets Scotland has'!!

What an ignoramus!!
:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

FifeeHibee
02-03-2011, 05:23 PM

:slipper: Oi! I live in central Fife, great place. And I support the glorious, the undefeated, the non-sectarian Hibees!

hibiedude
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
The first topic on tomorrow's Scotland today will be about someone being stabbed or worse being killed

That's the sad fact about the day after an old firm game.

Normally the game is played early before the pubs open but tonights game might involve trouble on and off the field.

IWasThere2016
02-03-2011, 05:51 PM
:slipper: Oi! I live in central Fife, great place. And I support the glorious, the undefeated, the non-sectarian Hibees!

As a native of Glenrothes, I know FR is correct. But there's too many OF full stop - Auld Reekie included!

Keith_M
02-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Les Gray was quoted in the Herald recently saying that the only way to stop the OF violence is to ban OF games. Although the headline was misleading, something like "police want OF disbanded", he sounded like he'd be all in favour of that happening.

Link to Article (http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/crime-courts/police-call-for-a-ban-on-old-firm-clashes-1.1087524?localLinksEnabled=false)

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2011, 06:03 PM
There's always hot air about this nonsense and the obvious answer is 'no it isn't worth the murder, mayhem and institutionalised bigotry it sustains'. Ultimately though, nothing will be done about it, for although it's a disgusting spectacle it remains that and we don't have that many. So the ocassional hand-wringing will be drowned out by a sanitized PR job on the OF game by the media and politicians.

There are a lot of losers in Scotland and as long as they buy en masse into this circus, it'll continue, despite the lives it warps and maims.

CabbageBoy
02-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Keep an eye on tonights game; apparently Mr Ewing wants a big increase in the number of football banning orders issued

In the words of the Fast Show, You aint seen me, right.

Hibercelona
02-03-2011, 06:31 PM
probably doesn't know the offside rule anyway.

:devil:

On that foot..... who actually does these days? :wink:

aberhibsfc
02-03-2011, 06:53 PM
It's good that Derek's sister is bringing it up.

Lendo
02-03-2011, 07:22 PM
The posh boy that comes on at 35 minutes is brilliant.

"so what if there is violence?"
"naughty songs"

The people talking ***** seem to be only west coast based.

Iggy Pope
02-03-2011, 07:29 PM

Les Gray?
What were these songs?

ScottB
02-03-2011, 07:47 PM
We were talking about this at work (I work in Glasgow) today...

Basically, we all agreed it was a daft statement to come out with, as it basically torpedoes any debate or realistic reaction from the clubs, had he come out and said something like 'Our resources are being really stretched by the number of Old Firm games this season, given the vast increase in crimes during these events we seek talks with the clubs as to their contribution to policing costs' would have started a real debate.

The sort of statement he came out with might have been passable had it been Glasgow's A&E departments making it, but not the Police.

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2011, 07:57 PM

Les Gray?
What were these songs?

Tiger Feet and Lonely This Christmas.

Iggy Pope
02-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Tiger Feet and Lonely This Christmas.

Ah, Bob. A man of my own vintage.

Phil D. Rolls
03-03-2011, 07:08 AM

If only more people did yahoor. (Support Hibs, I mean, not live in Centraal Fife.

We were talking about this at work (I work in Glasgow) today...

Basically, we all agreed it was a daft statement to come out with, as it basically torpedoes any debate or realistic reaction from the clubs, had he come out and said something like 'Our resources are being really stretched by the number of Old Firm games this season, given the vast increase in crimes during these events we seek talks with the clubs as to their contribution to policing costs' would have started a real debate.

The sort of statement he came out with might have been passable had it been Glasgow's A&E departments making it, but not the Police.

I don't think that's right. The police are often involved long before the victims end up in A&E.

JimBHibees
03-03-2011, 09:06 AM

Pretty good summation.

Russ
03-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Unfortunately FR the Glesga Meedya stoke the flames and then stand back and wait to "cover" the fall-out.

I agree totally, Chick Young and co on that joke of a radio programme are the number 1 culprits.

--------
03-03-2011, 11:31 AM

Pretty good summation.

Yup.

Although I have to say that some of the worst I've encountered in the area I live in don't live in toilets - they live in nice big new houses and drive Subarus and Beemers.

Ignorance, bigotry and blind unreasoning hatred are not the exclusive privilege of those who live in the sink estates, FR.

Looking at the 'highlights' on the BBC site, I would say that a start would be to examine the videotapes very carefully. Then call McCoist, Lennon, Diouf and a few others up to Hampden to account for themselves. And issue bans - Diouf shouldn't play again this season. This is what I and others were criticising Brown for last time out - wind up an idiot like Diouf, and you lay the foundations of much more trouble down the line. It's called professional discipline. Diouf doesn't have it, nor, apparently, does Brown at times. Diouf isn't going to learn; will Brown? He'd be a better player if he did.

IMO the SFA and the police should act together and make BOTH clubs lodge big money as surety for the good behaviour of their employees - not just coaches and players, but everyone - ball-boys, turnstile operators, tea-ladies, everyone.

Play the next game between them behind closed doors and DON'T allow it to be televised. (I think the police have the power to ban the cameras.)

But realistically, how do you deal with hatred that has its roots 400 or 500 years deep in the minds of people?

Phil D. Rolls
03-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Yup.

Although I have to say that some of the worst I've encountered in the area I live in don't live in toilets - they live in nice big new houses and drive Subarus and Beemers.

Ignorance, bigotry and blind unreasoning hatred are not the exclusive privilege of those who live in the sink estates, FR.

Looking at the 'highlights' on the BBC site, I would say that a start would be to examine the videotapes very carefully. Then call McCoist, Lennon, Diouf and a few others up to Hampden to account for themselves. And issue bans - Diouf shouldn't play again this season. This is what I and others were criticising Brown for last time out - wind up an idiot like Diouf, and you lay the foundations of much more trouble down the line. It's called professional discipline. Diouf doesn't have it, nor, apparently, does Brown at times. Diouf isn't going to learn; will Brown? He'd be a better player if he did.

IMO the SFA and the police should act together and make BOTH clubs lodge big money as surety for the good behaviour of their employees - not just coaches and players, but everyone - ball-boys, turnstile operators, tea-ladies, everyone.

Play the next game between them behind closed doors and DON'T allow it to be televised. (I think the police have the power to ban the cameras.)

But realistically, how do you deal with hatred that has its roots 400 or 500 years deep in the minds of people?

In all honesty I wasn't thinking about sink estates, more about the sort of bannana republics that exist in the Scottish hinterland. In these places you can live cheaply, be a big fish in a small pool, and never have to face people who have a wider perspective on life.

I'm not surprised that some of them drive big cars. I also wouldn't be surprised if many of them wear white socks.

lapsedhibee
03-03-2011, 12:51 PM

Eugenics? (Or has that already been tried?)

--------
03-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Eugenics? (Or has that already been tried?)

They'd quite happily cleanse one another ethnically, but I suspect a whole lot of innocent bystanders would get hurt in the process.

What's really scary is, I can be speaking to someone, having a perfectly civilised intelligent conversation, and the guy will suddenly come out with some utterly atrocious statement about either the Rangers/Proddies or the Celtic/Tims (his terms, not mine). And expect me to agree with him.

Which then leads to strife.

And make no mistake - each side is as bad as the other.

Removed
03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
They'd quite happily cleanse one another ethnically, but I suspect a whole lot of innocent bystanders would get hurt in the process.

What's really scary is, I can be speaking to someone, having a perfectly civilised intelligent conversation, and the guy will suddenly come out with some utterly atrocious statement about either the Rangers/Proddies or the Celtic/Tims (his terms, not mine). And expect me to agree with him.

Which then leads to strife.

And make no mistake - each side is as bad as the other.

:agree: been in that position at work a few times already today. Neither side are talking to me now :thumbsup:

--------
03-03-2011, 01:27 PM
:agree: been in that position at work a few times already today. Neither side are talking to me now :thumbsup:

I try to look on the bright side of life - at least every now and again I get to bury one of them... :devil:

StevieC
03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
How about the first two OF games of next season getting played behind closed doors?

:hmmm:

--------
03-03-2011, 02:06 PM
How about the first two OF games of next season getting played behind closed doors?

:hmmm:

Totally agree - but if it's televised in the pubs and clubs, the violence will just be moved outside the stadiums.

I'd say closed doors with a TV ban, but I suspect that Sky/ESPN would argue that this would be a restraint of trade and the courts would support them.

Form a broadcaster's POV, what happened last night is just 'good TV'.

StevieC
03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Totally agree - but if it's televised in the pubs and clubs, the violence will just be moved outside the stadiums.

To be honest, I reckon the pubs are already full and probably where most of the violence takes place anyway.

A "behind closed doors" game would not only affect the fans that are causing trouble (or fuelling the sectarian divide) in the stadium, but could also deprive the clubs of around £2m in ticket sales.

I'd say closed doors with a TV ban, but I suspect that Sky/ESPN would argue that this would be a restraint of trade and the courts would support them.

Good idea. Like you say though, Sky would probably play the "breach of contract" card.

hstn747
03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
If the Police applied their winter weather 'logic' to OF games then they'd never be played. i.e. 'if this game goes ahead then there is a high risk that many people will slip on icy pavements and possibly get injured.'

'If this OF game goes ahead, people will be assaulted; public disorder and anti-social behaviour will increase and instances of domestic violence will increase.'

LeithBoozy
03-03-2011, 04:04 PM
If they were banned could they move their problems to the Capitol, before anyone says it could not happen here, the last derby at ER was shamed by discraceful scene's of Jambo players being physically attacked by a hail of coins, lighters, ect. So before taking the moral high ground, we need to be very much on our guard ourself's.

Greentinted
03-03-2011, 04:45 PM
In amongst all of this are those who frequent their churches for spiritual reasons and get caught up in the appropriation of their faith(s) by the nasty, moronic inebriates that follow the OF whose sole motivation is to desecrate and destroy.

As yet another example, this may be mentioned on tonights STV News and while I am of irreligious disposition, the whole thing makes me sick to the core.

CATHOLIC CHURCH VANDALISED (http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/232471-celtic-boss-death-threat-graffiti-daubed-on-chapel-after-old-firm-clash/) :bitchy: