PDA

View Full Version : Stack - "Bad shoulder injury" (merged)

Westie1875
01-03-2011, 09:58 PM
CC just said on the radio they think it is a serious shoulder injury, didn't sound hopeful at all :boo hoo:

Speedy
01-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Source:

Calderwood on the radio

Thecat23
01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Source:

Calderwood on the radio

Just heard that, gutted if it's a bad one. Although we do have Divis so may get a chance to see him.

Wotherspiniesta
01-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Terrible news. Feel sorry for Stack, he'ss been solid since his return.

Brown back in goals please for Saturday.

GreenCastle
01-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Source:

Calderwood on the radio

:brickwall

That guy has no luck with injuries.

Shame as the back 5 with him as GK have been part of the reason for our good run of form.

Please don't play Smith on Sat - though he did make a great save at 1v0 before Deeko scored.

Divis on Sat maybe - but thought he would have been on the bench by now if any good ?

Speedy
01-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Just heard that, gutted if it's a bad one. Although we do have Divis so may get a chance to see him.

Possibly. It would make sense to assume the guy on the bench is the second choice keeper but we'll have to wait and see.

If Divis and Smith are the 2 in the squad we can probably assume that Brown has fell out with CC and will be gone in the summer.

Thecat23
01-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Possibly. It would make sense to assume the guy on the bench is the second choice keeper but we'll have to wait and see.

If Divis and Smith are the 2 in the squad we can probably assume that Brown has fell out with CC and will be gone in the summer.

Agree with that, i think his days may be up if not selected or at least on the bench on sat.

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Feel gutted for Stack. Nae luck.

I think Stack's strength is his communication/banter, don't get me wrong he's a good keeper but we will miss his chat more than his keeper skills.

PeterboroHibee
01-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Really hoping he doesnt play Smith on Saturday. Whatever reason he has for not playing Brown or Divis has to be forgotten about just now, we need to have a reliable keeper in to try and keep this run going!

GreenCastle
01-03-2011, 10:08 PM

I think Stack's strength is his communication/banter, don't get me wrong he's a good keeper but we will miss his chat more than his keeper skills.

Good point - he's not the perfect keeper but talks more than the others during the game.

Brown is a good shot stopper but his kicking needed fixed - I wish someone would find out whats going on with him not playing :confused:

hfc rd
01-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Terrible news. Stack has been a revelation in goals and has played a huge part in this good form. With this big blow, I know hope to see Jakub Divis in goals as I want to see what he is like. But I think that the pathetic smith will get the nod.

Dirkster23
01-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Source:

Calderwood on the radio

Last thing we needed, he's made a massive diffrence to the back four. Hopefully it's Brown or Divis in goals now as i don't have any confidence in Smith.

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Smith made a couple of very good saves tonight, but he causes havoc with his inability to catch a cold. Any cross he just flaps or completely misses. Get him tae ****.

The Harp Awakes
01-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Last thing we needed, he's made a massive diffrence to the back four. Hopefully it's Brown or Divis in goals now as i don't have any confidence in Smith.

Even if it is a bad injury, the good news is that after Saturday we only have 1 game to play in a month so plenty time for Stacky to reciver for the Hearts game on 3 April:aok:

.Sean.
01-03-2011, 10:25 PM

Mate said Smith didn't play too bad, but he's let us down big time in the past. If Stack won't play again for a while, i'd like to see Divis get his chance with Brown on the bench.

Winston Ingram
01-03-2011, 10:28 PM
If it's as bad as suggested, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him in a Hibs shirt again.Giving a high earner who's always injured a new deal is not good sense and certainly not the type of deal Rod would sanction

Winston Ingram
01-03-2011, 10:31 PM

Very good point. Particularly with a defence as young as ours

MrRobot
01-03-2011, 10:47 PM
If it's as bad as suggested, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him in a Hibs shirt again.Giving a high earner who's always injured a new deal is not good sense and certainly not the type of deal Rod would sanction

We should be making sure we et him signed up regardless. The guy bosses his defence about and thats what we need.

WindyMiller
01-03-2011, 10:51 PM

Mate said Smith didn't play too bad, but he's let us down big time in the past. If Stack won't play again for a while, i'd like to see Divis get his chance with Brown on the bench.

He flapped at a couple of crosses and the back four looked very shaky after that.

JACK_HFC
01-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Hopefully Stack wont be out for long, if Smith gets to play in goals our 5 win streak WILL come to an end! He's useless! :grr:

Time for big Divis to step up? :hmmm:

Hope to see Stack back soon tho! :not worth

:cgwa

Sergey
01-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Stack can GTF - He's a Zemamma with gloves on.

Get a fit and reliable keeper in in the close season and get rid of the others.

Just my opinion, eh!

Shrekko
01-03-2011, 11:29 PM
I thought it was a completely unnecessary challenge by the Hamilton player as Stack had caught the ball cleanly and was dropping to the ground. Really annoyed about it and it's a big blow.

IWasThere2016
01-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Ah, FFS! :grr:

monktonharp
01-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Smith certaibly knows how to pick up the ball from the Sainties net. the rot set in,last time he was in goal up there I seem to remember,or maybe he disnae do mid-week fixtures:wink:

monktonharp
01-03-2011, 11:47 PM
I thought it was a completely unnecessary challenge by the Hamilton player as Stack had caught the ball cleanly and was dropping to the ground. Really annoyed about it and it's a big blow.:agree: was it Courier?

--------
01-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Smith certaibly knows how to pick up the ball from the Sainties net. the rot set in,last time he was in goal up there I seem to remember,or maybe he disnae do mid-week fixtures:wink:

I'm inclined to hope that CC re-instates his 'rotation' policy for goalies, and plays Divis.

The 5-1 defeat in Perth, IIRC, was generally attributed to the outfield players just not turning up. In fact, I seem to remember reading that Smith was the reason Saints didn't reach double figures.

But I do think it's about time we got to see Big Jakob.

Shrekko
01-03-2011, 11:54 PM
:agree: was it Courier?
Think it was their big donkey centre- half, McLaughlan?

--------
01-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Think it was their big donkey centre- half, McLaughlan?

Mickael faffin Antoine faffin Courier was what I heard.

oldbutdim
02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Smith made a couple of very good saves tonight, but he causes havoc with his inability to catch a cold. Any cross he just flaps or completely misses. Get him tae ****.

He made one save which was terrific.

But he did flap.....

Just my opinion, eh!

Ridiculous.

Stack doesn't have a mullet.

Mickael faffin Antoine faffin Courier was what I heard.

Wouldn't be surprised, too far away to see who it was. He fouled throughout.

MountcastleHibs
02-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Hopefully its not a long lay off for Stack. But if it is, give Divis a chance in the team please CC. He can't possibly be any worse than the back up to Stack.

Zondervan
02-03-2011, 12:57 AM

Just my opinion, eh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrwDFgEeFCE

KiddA
02-03-2011, 02:07 AM
Gutted for Stack he has been superb since he came back. I just hope CC does not play Smith as he is a time bomb. Not sure what the deal is with Brown but I would play him. Divis may get a crack though but who knows I presume Smith is next in line if he was on the bench.

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2011, 02:18 AM

Just my opinion, eh!

Zommer wore gloves for a good number of his games.

sesoim
02-03-2011, 03:11 AM
If Smith plays we will start losing again. CC really has to come to his senses over Brown. A defeat on Saturday could set us off on a bad run again, as that is the way Hibs seems to be now - good for a while, bad for a while.

I don't think it would take much for Dickoh and Hanlon to lose confidence and start making mistakes again, and that can quickly spread through the team, so CC has to be very careful here. We need a reliable last line of defence.

marinello59
02-03-2011, 08:01 AM
If Smith plays we will start losing again. CC really has to come to his senses over Brown. A defeat on Saturday could set us off on a bad run again, as that is the way Hibs seems to be now - good for a while, bad for a while.

I don't think it would take much for Dickoh and Hanlon to lose confidence and start making mistakes again, and that can quickly spread through the team, so CC has to be very careful here. We need a reliable last line of defence.

Why do you think he isn't playing him then?

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Stacks injury was not an old one, it was nothing to do with his back. The injury he sustained last night was the result of a foul, a foul that to me would have resulted in the same kind of injury to whoever was in goal.

Yes Stack has had his injury problems, but last nights injury was unlucky. I certainly hope its not as serious as is first suggested, and he's back between the sticks soon, with a new contract in his back pocket too.

Smith just causes havoc whenever he plays, never never never the standard required for a goalkeeper at SPL level, why he's 2nd choice at the moment is a mystery to me?:confused:

ano hibby
02-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Was sitting right behind the goal last night & both fans and players were clearly unnerved by Smiths presence. He had one very good reaction save off the line and then clearly f'd up at a couple of good crosses. Quite scary.
Get Divis in for Sat IMO or as stated above Brown also better.
Distribution wise Stack also ahead of Smith & Brown.

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2011, 09:24 AM
With Stack's injury, Calderwood's goalkeeping decision is the first mini-crisis fir his new-look Hibs. Brown was in great form before he was dropped and there was obviously a fall-out of sorts with manager.

CC showed that it's his way or the highway by dropping him, thankfully Stack came in and did well.

Not having a go at Smith as he's a decent shot-stopper but can't command a box and our young defence need a far more decisive, directive keeper. If he gets a run I believe it'll set us back.

Hopefully Divis will be decent but even more hopefully Brown will have learned his lesson and have apologised to CC and the manager will have made his point and he'll be restored.

Neither Brown nor Calderwood come over as unreasonable men and let's hope the obvious spat they've had is one that both parties can get over for the good of the club.

truehibernian
02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
To be honest I think we must have faith and stick with Graeme.

Yes he came in and flapped at a couple of crosses. However he made two crucial stops and prevented an equaliser. Whilst understanding it, I still think the support don't do him any favours by howls of derision when he came on or when he missed a cross. At the end it was encouraging to hear the big support give him a right good cheer.

Smith was part of a team that couldn't buy a win, and part of a team that invited pressure. The dynamic of the team has changed, with Scott and Palsson in particular battling, winning midfield possession, and relieving the strain on the defence. Towell and Booth also take the team forward at any opportunity which means that we play a much higher line.

Divis was again in the crowd yesterday which suggests he may not be quite match ready. For me, give Smith the gloves again if Stacky is injured. And crucially, let's get behind him and support him.

easty
02-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't deny that Smith is a decent shot stopper, but I don't want him in goals for us, I don't trust him.

CC doesn't have to justify his selections to us, but I'd really like to know why Browns out. Surely there's someone who knows what's actually happened?

Golden Bear
02-03-2011, 09:49 AM
With Stack's injury, Calderwood's goalkeeping decision is the first mini-crisis fir his new-look Hibs. Brown was in great form before he was dropped and there was obviously a fall-out of sorts with manager.

CC showed that it's his way or the highway by dropping him, thankfully Stack came in and did well.

Not having a go at Smith as he's a decent shot-stopper but can't command a box and our young defence need a far more decisive, directive keeper. If he gets a run I believe it'll set us back.

Hopefully Divis will be decent but even more hopefully Brown will have learned his lesson and have apologised to CC and the manager will have made his point and he'll be restored.

Neither Brown nor Calderwood come over as unreasonable men and let's hope the obvious spat they've had is one that both parties can get over for the good of the club.

Fact or fiction?

:hmmm:

Part/Time Supporter
02-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Stacks injury was not an old one, it was nothing to do with his back. The injury he sustained last night was the result of a foul, a foul that to me would have resulted in the same kind of injury to whoever was in goal.

Yes Stack has had his injury problems, but last nights injury was unlucky. I certainly hope its not as serious as is first suggested, and he's back between the sticks soon, with a new contract in his back pocket too.

Smith just causes havoc whenever he plays, never never never the standard required for a goalkeeper at SPL level, why he's 2nd choice at the moment is a mystery to me?:confused:

Smith was the regular starter for the team that finished 3rd in the SPL three seasons ago.

jonny
02-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Yes he came in and flapped at a couple of crosses. However he made two crucial stops and prevented an equaliser. Whilst understanding it, I still think the support don't do him any favours by howls of derision when he came on or when he missed a cross. At the end it was encouraging to hear the big support give him a right good cheer.

Smith was part of a team that couldn't buy a win, and part of a team that invited pressure. The dynamic of the team has changed, with Scott and Palsson in particular battling, winning midfield possession, and relieving the strain on the defence. Towell and Booth also take the team forward at any opportunity which means that we play a much higher line.

Divis was again in the crowd yesterday which suggests he may not be quite match ready. For me, give Smith the gloves again if Stacky is injured. And crucially, let's get behind him and support him.

Whilst I don't agree with booing or abusing our own players at the match I think Smith is an absolute bomb-scare. Under no circumstances would I have him anywhere near the 1st 11.
He has made far too many mistakes for me to forgive and I'd rather have the untried Divis. 1st preference would be Brown but he doesn't seem to be getting a look in at the moment. I'd even prefer to have young Flynn play instead of Smith.

Phil MaGlass
02-03-2011, 10:00 AM

Cant agree, 5 straight wins and the keeper had alot to do with it, injury or not he has showed his worth to the team and the club?

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Smith was the regular starter for the team that finished 3rd in the SPL three seasons ago.

That may be so, but in my opinion he's utter garbage. I bet the team currently 3rd wouldnt touch him with a barge pole? Or those in 4th 5th 6th 8th 9th 10th 11th or 12th.

He's an absolute liability, who's guaranteed to let us down week in week out.:boo hoo:

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Fact or fiction?

:hmmm:

I refuse to make up anything other than complete fact.

scott7_0(Prague)
02-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Just my opinion, eh!

:wtf:

You say get fit, he did and has proven this in the last 5games. Did you actually see the tackle on Stack last night, nothing to do with previous injuries he was taken out of the game by Hamilton...... in my opinion i think your statement is stupid.

Forget Smith, get the lad Diviš in or forgot about the differences and play Brown.

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2011, 10:24 AM

You say get fit, he did and has proven this in the last 5games. Did you actually see the tackle on Stack last night, nothing to do with previous injuries he was taken out of the game by Hamilton...... in my opinion i think your statement is stupid.

Forget Smith, get the lad Diviš in or forgot about the differences and play Brown.

:agree::top marks

Chaz
02-03-2011, 10:59 AM
If it wasnt for smith we might not have won last night he made a superb save then 2mins later we went up and scored

Sergey
02-03-2011, 11:24 AM

Stack played 46 games in 5 years prior to joining us. He's been in and out of our squad through various ailments since he arrived.

Regardless of his ability, getting half a dozen or so 'decent' performances from your first choice keeper a season isn't conducive to stability in defence.

It matters not a jot how last nights injury was caused. He's injured.....again. He's as reliable as Jonathan Woodgate and his (and Smith and/or Brown's wages) would be better spent on another less injury-prone keeper.

--------
02-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Stack played 46 games in 5 years prior to joining us. He's been in and out of our squad through various ailments since he arrived.

Regardless of his ability, getting half a dozen or so 'decent' performances from your first choice keeper a season isn't conducive to stability in defence.

It matters not a jot how last nights injury was caused. He's injured.....again. He's as reliable as Jonathan Woodgate and his (and Smith and/or Brown's wages) would be better spent on another less injury-prone keeper.

I would reluctantly agree with this, Sergey. The guy's a good keeper, but if he's only available two months in every 7 or 8, we need to look for someone else.

Speedway
02-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I was going to refer to him as the Zoumer of goalkeeping but Sergey's done it for me.

Very amusing quote from CC on the fishy site. Wonder if he meant it?

'There were a couple of terrific blocks and great saves from Graeme Smith, who unfortunately had to replace Graham Stack.' :greengrin

PeterboroHibee
02-03-2011, 12:11 PM

We have to get behind whoever is in goal, but that doesnt mean that Smith doesnt make the fans nervous, which surely must be noticed by the players. I just think hes proven himself time and time again to not be up to the standard, constantly making stupid errors that have cost us goals, and as a result, points.

Danderhall Hibs
02-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Stack played 46 games in 5 years prior to joining us.

Was that down to injury or was it down to him being a back-up keeper?

Beefster
02-03-2011, 12:26 PM

This is probably the most negative post that I've read since January and sounds like someone desperate for Calderwood to fail.

If Smith plays and is supported by the Hibs fans, he may play well.

If Calderwood isn't playing Brown, it may be for a perfectly valid and sensible reason.

A defeat on Saturday may just be a blip. Even better, we might not lose.

It might not take much Dickoh and Hanlon to continue playing well.

If a player makes a mistake, it probably won't spread throughout the team.

As things stand, we have a reliable last line of defence.

--------
02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I was going to refer to him as the Zoumer of goalkeeping but Sergey's done it for me.

Very amusing quote from CC on the fishy site. Wonder if he meant it?

'There were a couple of terrific blocks and great saves from Graeme Smith, who unfortunately had to replace Graham Stack.' :greengrin

I think any manager would consider the necessity to replace his goalkeeper due to a serious shoulder injury as "unfortunate", Speedway.

Unfortunate that he had to use one of his subs in the first half.

Unfortunate that that sub was replacing someone who was playing well.

Unfortunate that Graham Stack was probably injured and in severe pain.

Unfortunate that a back 5 who had been playing well over 4 games had had to be disrupted.

IIRC, after the Ross County defeat last season Hughes confronted Smith and told him that he (Smith) was to the man responsible for the defeat and that he (Smith) would never play for Hibs again. Yogi Psycho-ology in action.

Of course he had to play him again - Stack and Brown were injured. But I am not surprised that Smith did not play well when he was recalled. Nothing like knowing your boss is blaming you for his own failings, is there?

And I am reliably informed that he wasn't the only one of our players whose confidence John Hughes seemed to go out of his way to destroy.

And then there were the guys on here accusing him of deliberately throwing the game... :rolleyes:

Hibee Daz
02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
This is the 1st chance I've had too post about last nights match and I have to say Stack was very unlucky as he had the ball in his hands for a couple of seconds before he got taken right out!. How we didn't get a foul and why the Accies player wasn't booked is completely beyond me, then five minutes later the ref gives Cerny a freekick for a 50 50 which had minimal contact.
The ref was woeful at best as he got numerous decisions wrong for both sides.

I hope Stacks injury isn't as bad as first anticipated as he has been a revelation since coming back and without a shadow of a doubt his performances have been a huge factor in this winning run.
:cgwa

truehibernian
02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
We have to get behind whoever is in goal, but that doesnt mean that Smith doesnt make the fans nervous, which surely must be noticed by the players. I just think hes proven himself time and time again to not be up to the standard, constantly making stupid errors that have cost us goals, and as a result, points.

I don't disagree with you mate, however I would also counter by saying Mark Brown has me with my hands over my eyes when he deals with a kick from open play, a pass back, or a simple bye kick/free kick......nearly always finding an opposition player, the touchline or row Z (in our own half).

Each keeper we have has there little failings, and yes, Smith doesn't inspire me when a set piece is thrown in. Yet he is a decent shot stopper, and if he gathers confidence in what is a far far more confident team......then perhaps he may relax and get that form back.

The important thing for me is that we have that backline looking like it picks itself, and each defender knows their job, knows where their colleague will be, and they drive the team higher up the pitch away from our own goal line. Booth and Towell are tremendous at that. With a high line and a midfield that battles, our keepers, irrespective of who they are, will come under less pressure through the 90.

His save on the line was crucial last night to the way the game panned out. He surely deserves a bit of praise for that IMHO. It is after all a team effort.

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2011, 12:55 PM
We struggle for ages with disasterous keepers, then when we get two decent ones, one is injury prone the other falls out with the manager.

Smith - no, no, no. I've had It with being a nervous wreck everytime an opposition ball is punted into our box. Done too much of that over the last few years.

Harpandcastle
02-03-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm no fan of either and hope that Divis is good enough to be given his chance and then take it. I thought Brown was overrated by many earlier in the season, I would agree he made some decent stops but as a keeper he is entitled to do so, his poor distribution and lack of instructions to his defence resulted in many of his saves having to be made imo.

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2011, 01:32 PM

:agree::agree:

I am not sure how much Divis has done as he has not even been on bench, but if Stack has sustained a bad one that will keep him out for a while, then I would get Brown back in....

Feel sorry for Stack, as he has done brilliantly for us, just a bad foul on him has resulted in another injury. Hope he recovers quickly

scott7_0(Prague)
02-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Stack played 46 games in 5 years prior to joining us.

You say 46 in 5years, but how many times in that 5years was he available for selection but kept out by a better keeper... surely your not suggesting that of those 5years he was only fit 46times?

oh and again, did you see the tackle on him or you just ignoring reality!?

Danderhall Hibs
02-03-2011, 02:18 PM
IIRC, after the Ross County defeat last season Hughes confronted Smith and told him that he (Smith) was to the man responsible for the defeat and that he (Smith) would never play for Hibs again. Yogi Psycho-ology in action.

Of course he had to play him again - Stack and Brown were injured. But I am not surprised that Smith did not play well when he was recalled. Nothing like knowing your boss is blaming you for his own failings, is there?

And I am reliably informed that he wasn't the only one of our players whose confidence John Hughes seemed to go out of his way to destroy.

And then there were the guys on here accusing him of deliberately throwing the game... :rolleyes:

TBF to Hughes - Smith had had a few howlers by the time he dropped a clanger at Ross County. I can see why Hughes might've lost the rag with him.

And while I don't doubt the guys integrity I can see why folk would think he tried to throw the Motherwell game - I don't think I've ever seen such a bad goalie performance (Malkowski against Hearts maybe) as that. I think some folk maybe thought noone could be that bad unintentionally?

Smith should be at best our 4th choice keeper IMO.

tamig
02-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Just my opinion, eh!

What a ridiculous comment to make. Have you not been watching the past few games?

scoopyboy
02-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't think we will see Stack again this season, my understanding is its a bad one and he was white as a sheet and in agony at half time.

He wants to stay at Hibs and was battling away hard for a contract, hopefully he has shown CC enough in his 4 and half game stint and his application in training to get a deal even if its only initially for a year.

--------
02-03-2011, 02:30 PM
TBF to Hughes - Smith had had a few howlers by the time he dropped a clanger at Ross County. I can see why Hughes might've lost the rag with him.

And while I don't doubt the guys integrity I can see why folk would think he tried to throw the Motherwell game - I don't think I've ever seen such a bad goalie performance (Malkowski against Hearts maybe) as that. I think some folk maybe thought noone could be that bad unintentionally?

Smith should be at best our 4th choice keeper IMO.

Yeh - guess so.

Sergey
02-03-2011, 02:41 PM
You say 46 in 5years, but how many times in that 5years was he available for selection but kept out by a better keeper... surely your not suggesting that of those 5years he was only fit 46times?

or you just ignoring reality!?

Who's ignoring reality? For whatever reason, Stack has played 46 times in 5 years (and was released by Leeds because of an ankle injury). That's less than 10 starts a season, and some of those were in Carling Cup matches. You're not disputing that, are you?

If you're content with the club forking-out Ł2k a week (that's a conservative estimate, BTW) on an injury-prone journeyman-player who's played less than 400 minutes of football this season, then that's fine by me.

Let's not let facts stand in the way of a good discussion, eh?

scott7_0(Prague)
02-03-2011, 03:06 PM

It seems you are thought!

--------
02-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't consider him a journeyman - when fit he's our best keeper.

However, he has to be available to play, and since this seems to be a problem, we need to look for a viable alternative - a keeper who can do what GS does, but do it consistently on the field and not on the treatment table.

We're not in the position to have players in our squad, on our books, more often than not unavailable for whatever reason.

It's like the case of Zemmama - fine player, but far too often not there.

mjhibby
02-03-2011, 04:02 PM

A tricky decision for cc to make.Brown obviously is out of the picture at the moment and smith i would think hasnt impressed so do we get divis in.The one problem i think is that cc said somewhere that divis wasnt well,whatever that means,so it looks like smith in goals with brown on the bench.Whoever isnt in goal on saturday is probably exiting er in june.

ano hibby
02-03-2011, 04:37 PM
I think we are in the situation now, ie safe from relegation, top 6 too tall an order, that we can try a couple of things out. For me this means starting Divis, giving him a good few games & see how he gets on with the now establised Hanlon/Dickoh etc.

As someone else said above i'm completely through with being nervous any time the ball appraoches the last third - Smith out for me. Great stop one moment, shocker the next - no thanks - this lack of consistency makes defenders and hence spectators nervous. Had enough of this.

TRC
02-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Just a thought but maybe Divis' English isn't up to scratch and CC is worried about the communication between him and the back 4:dunno:

WindyMiller
02-03-2011, 04:50 PM
This is probably the most negative post that I've read since January and sounds like someone desperate for Calderwood to fail.

If Smith plays and is supported by the Hibs fans, he may play well.

If Calderwood isn't playing Brown, it may be for a perfectly valid and sensible reason.

A defeat on Saturday may just be a blip. Even better, we might not lose.

It might not take much Dickoh and Hanlon to continue playing well.

If a player makes a mistake, it probably won't spread throughout the team.

As things stand, we have a reliable last line of defence.

He's full of them! http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?205510-Who-remembers-this&p=2748849&viewfull=1#post2748849

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Just a thought but maybe Divis' English isn't up to scratch and CC is worried about the communication between him and the back 4:dunno:

Deaf dumb and blind, he'd still be better than coco, and probably still have better comunicational skills than that joker.

ormond11
02-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Any 1 know the latest with stack's injury ? :confused:

malcolm
02-03-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm becoming a reluctant expert on shoulder injuries. I'd say that there is a good chance he will be out for around 6 weeks at least. Shoulders are kind of crucial to keepers.

I suffered a Acromioclavicular injury where the ligament separates from the clavicle to varying degrees. It would need to be in a sling for a week or more. Even a mild form will need a fair bit of exercise to get the full range of movement back after a period of healing.

He may also have broken his clavicle - I'm currently recovering from doing that for a second time. It should heal pretty well but with similar recuperation.

Arch Stanton
02-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Who's ignoring reality? For whatever reason, Stack has played 46 times in 5 years (and was released by Leeds because of an ankle injury). That's less than 10 starts a season, and some of those were in Carling Cup matches. You're not disputing that, are you?

If you're content with the club forking-out Ł2k a week (that's a conservative estimate, BTW) on an injury-prone journeyman-player who's played less than 400 minutes of football this season, then that's fine by me.

Especially not facts that be completely gleaned from teletext huh?

Sergey
02-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Especially not facts that be completely gleaned from teletext huh?

Looks like there's another competitor for the :trumpet: of the Week Award.

Are you disputing the stats?

Needing a shovel for the hole you're digging?

Arch Stanton
02-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Looks like there's another competitor for the :trumpet: of the Week Award.

Are you disputing the stats?

Needing a shovel for the hole you're digging?

Facts? Whats Facts? That Stack started 46 times in 5 years?

Is that the most interesting fact you can come up with?

Is your grasp of stats so minimalist as to be virtually non existant?

And here's your shovel back - you need it sunshine!

fishybeaver
02-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Who ever is in goals will get my support..end off

Sergey
02-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Facts? Whats Facts? That Stack started 46 times in 5 years?

Is that the most interesting fact you can come up with?

Is your grasp of stats so minimalist as to be virtually non existant?

And here's your shovel back - you need it sunshine!

Oh, dear. We have a right one here, folks.

You want me to make up stats. Maybe just pluck some figures from somewhere to fit an agenda?

Get this into your remaining working braincells, Stack has played the amount of games that I mentioned....unless you can prove otherwise.

I'm not bull*****ting, here, honest.

Arch Stanton
02-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Oh, dear. We have a right one here, folks.

You want me to make up stats. Maybe just pluck some figures from somewhere to fit an agenda?

Get this into your remaining working braincells, Stack has played the amount of games that I mentioned....unless you can prove otherwise.

I'm not bull*****ting, here, honest.

OK, I'll double your shovel and raise you a bottle of valium.

I think we ALL accept how many games Stack started over the last 5 years.

And I'm also sure that the hordes of subscribers who think that is amazingly relevant will post as much as fast as their fingers will let them.

Or, of course, maybe everyone will be as totally underwhelmed as I am and this post will be followed by complete and utter silence.

Sergey
02-03-2011, 09:03 PM
OK, I'll double your shovel and raise you a bottle of valium.

I think we ALL accept how many games Stack started over the last 5 years.

And I'm also sure that the hordes of subscribers who think that is amazingly relevant will post as much as fast as their fingers will let them.

Or, of course, maybe everyone will be as totally underwhelmed as I am and this post will be followed by complete and utter silence.

You accused me of 'grasping for stats that were minimalist'.

WTF is your point exactly?

You're losing me with your thinking. I merely pointed out a FACT that you seem to take exception to.

Maybe Stack isn't an injury-prone goalkeeper and I'm not seeing something obvious here.

fife hfc
02-03-2011, 09:05 PM

You say get fit, he did and has proven this in the last 5games. Did you actually see the tackle on Stack last night, nothing to do with previous injuries he was taken out of the game by Hamilton.....in my opinion i think your statement is stupid.

:top marks Could not come up with a better reply as I was going to when I read his statement. Stack was fouled and it was a dangerous challenge at that. Stack is the best goalie we have and I hope he comes back soon.

Iggy Pope
02-03-2011, 09:06 PM

You're losing me with your thinking. I merely pointed out a FACT that you seem to take exception to.

Maybe Stack isn't an injury-prone goalkeeper and I'm not seeing something obvious here.

Think you should take a look at the Highlights like I just did on another thread. Stack was done last night, no question. His injury record has hee-haw to do with what happened to him.

hibsbollah
02-03-2011, 09:23 PM
If a player regularly gets the same kind of injuries again and again, its fair to say hes medically injury prone. The player will probably keep getting those injuries throughout his career.

If you get your injuries to a range of different parts of the body (like Zemmama; hamstring x2, broken metatarsal, ACL knee ligament) or if they're caused by a nasty collision that would probably injure any player (Stack's yesterday) its fair to say their injury 'proneness' is probably caused by bad luck, not medical predisposition. The player will be no more likely to be injured again than anyone else.

So, don't GTF Graham Stack:rolleyes:

Arch Stanton
02-03-2011, 09:24 PM

Do you mean to say that the FACT you have been presenting is that Stack is injury prone?

Could you not have said that?

Even better, could you not have said something which backs that view up?

Maybe you should have said how many games Stack missed through injury as opposed to the number of times he was actually first pick - do you not see how this would have been more relevant?

Go on, think about it.

Sergey
02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Maybe you should have said how many games Stack missed through injury as opposed to the number of times he was actually first pick

Don't try to twist the facts in an attempt to cover-up your wrongs. I don't need to back-up the stats that I've posted as I'm contented that he's played less than 10 games a season and seems to be somewhat of a liability.

That's good enough for my needs in this thread.

snooky
02-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Think you should take a look at the Highlights like I just did on another thread. Stack was done last night, no question. His injury record has hee-haw to do with what happened to him.

That's the way I saw it - GS was definitely 'done'.
No need - late & dirty. Red card offence IMO.

Arch Stanton
02-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Don't try to twist the facts in an attempt to cover-up your wrongs. I don't need to back-up the stats that I've posted as I'm contented that he's played less than 10 games a season and seems to be somewhat of a liability.

You're a laff a minute pal.

The 'injury prone' Stack has now become 'something of a liability'?

But take it from me - if you wan't to prove how injury prone Stack was you do really need to say how many games he missed through injury and not how many games he was picked to play in.

But cheers to your needs in this thread anyway - it's good to know where your coming from.

Bostonhibby
02-03-2011, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't deny that Smith is a decent shot stopper, but I don't want him in goals for us, I don't trust him.

CC doesn't have to justify his selections to us, but I'd really like to know why Browns out. Surely there's someone who knows what's actually happened?

:agree: Smith makes me feel the way I did when Maka was in goals, it just rubs of on the guys in front as one of the posters above says. When / if that feeling runs through the team it ain't good. Big test for CC, shame as Stack was doing realy well.

Sergey
02-03-2011, 10:08 PM
You're a laff a minute pal.

The 'injury prone' Stack has now become 'something of a liability'?

But take it from me - if you wan't to prove how injury prone Stack was you do really need to say how many games he missed through injury and not how many games he was picked to play in.

But cheers to your needs in this thread anyway - it's good to know where your coming from.

Throughout his career, Stack has never commanded a transfer fee. Not a bean. Been on loan to many clubs and hasn't done it. Released every time. Same will happen at Hibs, mark my words.

Hibs would have sold him in January if a fee of any sort had come in.

Clubs are hardly queueing up for a player with Stack's CV. Wonder why?

BEEJ
02-03-2011, 10:25 PM

Yup, a little over 11 starts a season over eight consecutive seasons. Stats here:

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/hibernian/player/career/graham_stack_12024/index.shtml

Been a good robust keeper for us. But his injury record within the last 20 months has been horrendous.

Arch Stanton
02-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Throughout his career, Stack has never commanded a transfer fee. Not a bean. Been on loan to many clubs and hasn't done it. Released every time. Same will happen at Hibs, mark my words.

Sounds much the same as Vas Te, doesn't he?

Arch Stanton
02-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Yup, a little over 11 starts a season over eight consecutive seasons. Stats here:

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/hibernian/player/career/graham_stack_12024/index.shtml

Been a good robust keeper for us. But his injury record within the last 20 months has been horrendous.

I can't see his injury record there.

7Hero
02-03-2011, 10:53 PM
dont play smith...

ever !!!

anybody other than smith please..

BEEJ
02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
It's not there; only his appearance record. :confused:

However, for Hibs his injury record has been horrendous.

7Hero
02-03-2011, 10:55 PM

id rather him than smith any day of the week and brown aswell mate....

Sergey
02-03-2011, 10:57 PM

BEEJ said over the last 20 months....or don't you believe the information released by Hibs?

You can read, can't you?

Go to bed and hug the shovel.

Sergey
02-03-2011, 10:59 PM
id rather him than smith any day of the week and brown aswell mate....

I'm not arguing that fact, bud. That's not what the discussion is about.

Arch Stanton
02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
It's not there; only his appearance record. :confused:

However, for Hibs his injury record has been horrendous.

That may be true, but why post a link to something which bears no relation to his injury record as I'd be interested to know what that was - it's just that I'd always been under the impression that our selection of goalkeeper was something of a random selection.

I mean, when Man City had a goalkeeping crisis last year they had to field a young inexperienced goalie, but when Hibs had a goalkeeping crisis we didn't even need to put an inexperienced goalie onto the bench.

So, all in all, I think it is a fair question - how many times was he actually unavailable through injury?

Sergey
02-03-2011, 11:10 PM
That may be true, but why post a link to something which bears no relation to his injury record as I'd be interested to know what that was - it's just that I'd always been under the impression that our selection of goalkeeper was something of a random selection.

I think you should log-out for the night and re-stock.

WTF are you blethering about?

7Hero
02-03-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm not arguing that fact, bud. That's not what the discussion is about.

haha nae bother sergey i thought you were.

all the best...

Arch Stanton
02-03-2011, 11:18 PM
I think you should log-out for the night and re-stock.

WTF are you blethering about?

It looks like you deleted the question, so here it is again -

"So, all in all, I think it is a fair question - how many times was he actually unavailable through injury? "

btw, if you just want to post another insult then fair enough, it's you that will look bad, not me.

7Hero
02-03-2011, 11:18 PM
whats the discussion about anyway :greengrin

BEEJ
02-03-2011, 11:19 PM
That may be true, but why post a link to something which bears no relation to his injury record
Because the post to which I was replying was talking about his career appearances. Therefore perfectly relevant.

as I'd be interested to know what that was - it's just that I'd always been under the impression that our selection of goalkeeper was something of a random selection.

So, all in all, I think it is a fair question - how many times was he actually unavailable through injury?
With respect, if you're interested then you find the stats to prove your point.

However, try this recent (16 February) article for starters:

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-keeper-Stack-back-to.6719137.jp

The first two paragraphs alone make Stack's injury record while at Hibs pretty clear.

Hibs goalkeeper Graham Stack has insisted he's not injury prone after finally shaking off the back problem which put him out of action for five months.

Today Stack revealed the injury was a recurrence of the problem which sidelined him for three months last season and, having finally been given a chance by new boss Colin Calderwood, he's determined to grab it.

Arch Stanton
02-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Because the post to which I was replying was talking about his career appearances. Therefore perfectly relevant.

With respect, if you're interested then you find the stats to prove your point.

However, try this recent (16 February) article for starters:

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-keeper-Stack-back-to.6719137.jp

The first two paragraphs alone make Stack's injury record while at Hibs pretty clear.

You highlighted 5 and 3 months, but the total was 5 months over the two seasons, wasn't it? Zemamma was out for a similar period but wasn't labelled injury prone, was he?

You also omitted Stack's last comment -
"Before I came here I had been injury free for I do not know how long."

Are you saying he is lying, and if so, what is your proof?

PatHead
02-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Agree everyone should get behind whoever is in goals but was there last night and must admit I could never get behind Smith. Even the 12th Man stopped singing for a moment when he came on. People going on about his good save but he only had to make the save because he is incapable of dealing with crossballs. He is a disaster waiting to happen and I would have the fat pie eating bloke with ginger hair in the stand before him

He is the worst keeper we have ever had and he has some competition for that!

brydekirk
02-03-2011, 11:39 PM
:agree:
:agree: Smith makes me feel the way I did when Maka was in goals, it just rubs of on the guys in front as one of the posters above says. When / if that feeling runs through the team it ain't good. Big test for CC, shame as Stack was doing realy well.

brydekirk
02-03-2011, 11:41 PM
:agree:

BEEJ
02-03-2011, 11:44 PM
You highlighted 5 and 3 months, but the total was 5 months over the two seasons, wasn't it? Zemamma was out for a similar period but wasn't labelled injury prone, was he?

You also omitted Stack's last comment -
"Before I came here I had been injury free for I do not know how long."

Are you saying he is lying, and if so, what is your proof?
Dear, oh dear. Where do I begin?

Firstly, read post #93 again. Whatever you have been discussing earlier in this thread is irrelevant to the first contribution I made which comprised two separate points, namely:

1) Stack's average number of appearances per season over his career is relatively low.
2) During the last 20 months his injury record with Hibs has been awful.

Two separate points. I have no stats for Stack's injury record prior to his coming to Easter Road so cannot comment. Neither, it would appear, do you.

Now as for the article quoted, I think you need to read the relevant sections again more closely.

Stack played in our first SPL encounter against Motherwell. That much is proven fact. Paragraph three then states:

And the much-travelled goalie disclosed how his latest troubles were the result of a devotion to duty, turning up for training on his day off following the opening game of the season to make up for lost time caused by another injury.

Now go back to paragraph one which states

after finally shaking off the back problem which put him out of action for five months

In other words he's not been available to play for five months since that injury. Count them: part of August, September, October, November, December and part of January 2011.

And the article states that that injury:

was a recurrence of the problem which sidelined him for three months last season

So not five months combined, at all. Eight months over two seasons. The appropriate phrase would be - a period of his career 'blighted' by injury.

I trust that's clear now? :wink:

James70
03-03-2011, 12:24 AM
So does anyone have any idea how Stack is and how long he is likely to be out for? (Like it or not the guy is still currently our first choice keeper after all)

Saorsa
03-03-2011, 12:31 AM
So does anyone have any idea how Stack is and how long he is likely to be out for? (Like it or not the guy is still currently our first choice keeper after all)http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/39Devastated39-Graham-Stack-blames-Mark.6727615.jp

Following an X-ray, the former Arsenal keeper was yesterday boosted by the news his right shoulder is not dislocated, but he still fears a lengthy lay-off when the full extent of the injury is assessed by a specialist.

Arch Stanton
03-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Dear, oh dear. Where do I begin?

Firstly, read post #93 again. Whatever you have been discussing earlier in this thread is irrelevant to the first contribution I made which comprised two separate points, namely:

1) Stack's average number of appearances per season over his career is relatively low.
2) During the last 20 months his injury record with Hibs has been awful.

Two separate points. I have no stats for Stack's injury record prior to his coming to Easter Road so cannot comment. Neither, it would appear, do you.

Now as for the article quoted, I think you need to read the relevant sections again more closely.

In other words he's not been available to play for five months since that injury. Count them: part of August, September, October, November, December and part of January 2011.

So not five months combined, at all. Eight months over two seasons. The appropriate phrase would be - a period of his career 'blighted' by injury.

I trust that's clear now? :wink:

Well, thanks to you for the clarity, if not the condescension. :agree:

I don't think I can be blamed too much for taking the ambiguous statement "after finally shaking off the back problem which put him out of action for five months" to mean that his back problem lasted 5 months rather than 8, especially as I had it in my mind there was only one period of injury.

In any case, if his back problem is cured, and we can have no reason to believe that it isn't, then I cannot see why he would not be in contention for the starting place if his form merits it. His goalkeeping has been excellent and no one can question his bravery, so no reason at all to dump him just because of a bad collision, in my view at least.

As regards your first point, I fully accept that none of us know his injury record previous to joining Hibs, so we are not entitled, as Sergey did, to attribute his lack of starts to injury. All that information wasn't just a separate point, it was irrelevant.

jdships
03-03-2011, 10:47 AM
WOW !
Toys out the pram and handbags flying this morning !!
Great entertainment guys :thumbsup: :wink::greengrin

scoopyboy
03-03-2011, 10:50 AM
So does anyone have any idea how Stack is and how long he is likely to be out for? (Like it or not the guy is still currently our first choice keeper after all)

I've heard 2 to 3 months which means to me we will only see him in a Hibs jersey again if he gets a new deal.

At least he would be fit for the new season.

I believe it could be ligaments detached from a bone in his shoulder.

If Hibs are going to offer him a deal they should do it soon.

truehibernian
03-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I've heard 2 to 3 months which means to me we will only see him in a Hibs jersey again if he gets a new deal.

What's your thoughts regards the bench on Saturday scoopy. Will be very interesting to see who comes in and who is sub keeper.

Stevie Reid
03-03-2011, 11:30 AM

I would offer Stack a one year, he would definitely take it IMO, especially judging by his comments recently. Seems that we are safe now for this season anyway, so we have scope for experimentation for the rest of the season - hopefully Divis will be fit enough to come in at some point and see if he can become front runner for the no.1 jersey next season.

If he does so, we will have very able back up in Stack - if not, the last 4.5 games have shown that GS can be the commanding presence that we need from a first choice keeper.

scoopyboy
03-03-2011, 12:53 PM
What's your thoughts regards the bench on Saturday scoopy. Will be very interesting to see who comes in and who is sub keeper.

Don't even know my own thoughts.

I would probably opt for Brown but get the feeling something must have happened between him and CC. I think this may stop him playing or even being involved.

I now think following on Smith and Divis will be the two in the squad, which way round though is the question.

I have never been any good at football but have heard it from those who are/were that it is easier to throw a goalie into a team rather than an outfield player. Theory being his job is to stop the ball going in and as long he lets his defenders know what to do regarding crosses etc then he might do ok.

Players were off yesterday but they have today and tomorrow to set up Divis with the defence so I would go with him.

I think however CC will go with Smith.

Howzat for a mixed up answer.

BEEJ
03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Well, thanks to you for the clarity, if not the condescension. :agree:
Glad to oblige. :wink:

In any case, if his back problem is cured, and we can have no reason to believe that it isn't, then I cannot see why he would not be in contention for the starting place if his form merits it. His goalkeeping has been excellent and no one can question his bravery, so no reason at all to dump him just because of a bad collision, in my view at least.
I don't believe that I have stated anything in my posts that would disagree with this point.

Sadly, he's likely to be out injured again now for another while, possibly the rest of the season.

As regards your first point, I fully accept that none of us know his injury record previous to joining Hibs, so we are not entitled, as Sergey did, to attribute his lack of starts to injury. All that information wasn't just a separate point, it was irrelevant.
The stats on Stack's career appearances were relevant for this thread in so far as some posters were referring to them.

Despite your continued efforts to pull me in as another 'opponent' in your debate about Stack's injury record, I have no intention of complying. :greengrin

truehibernian
03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Don't even know my own thoughts.

I would probably opt for Brown but get the feeling something must have happened between him and CC. I think this may stop him playing or even being involved.

I now think following on Smith and Divis will be the two in the squad, which way round though is the question.

I have never been any good at football but have heard it from those who are/were that it is easier to throw a goalie into a team rather than an outfield player. Theory being his job is to stop the ball going in and as long he lets his defenders know what to do regarding crosses etc then he might do ok.

Players were off yesterday but they have today and tomorrow to set up Divis with the defence so I would go with him.

I think however CC will go with Smith.

Howzat for a mixed up answer.

Not mixed up at all mate, makes sense.

I think he has to keep Smith in goals, more because we have a back line that now picks itself and a midfield who gives the defensive unit a great deal more cover. I also think Smith deserves praise for his two stops on Tuesday night which prevented an equaliser.

Divis was in the crowd......big lad, quite lanky. Have to say that for me it would be a gamble, but like you say it's CC who decides.

I saw Derek and Nid talking to Wiss during the warm up as well........boy did his face give me flashbacks.....not of the good variety :greengrin

Greentinted
03-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Granted its Wiki, but GS seems to have made a few more appearances in his career than has been mooted here.
No dispute that injury has hampered his career significantly but he's still relatively young and the last few months suggest he is worthy of being considered Hibs no.1 no.1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Stack_%28footballer%29