PDA

View Full Version : Yogi to Bradford City? (merged)

HH81
25-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Heard from a couple of people they are looking at a Scottish Manager. I have just checked the odds and John Hughes is 2nd Fav.

Dean Windass 4/5
John Hughes 5/2
Alan Knill 5/1
Martin Allen 6/1
Wayne Jacobs and/or David Wetherall 8/1
John Hendrie 10/1
Terry Dolan 10/1
Andy Scott 12/1
Brian Laws 12/1
Gary Johnson 12/1
Phil Parkinson 12/1
Lawrie Sanchez 12/1
Keith Hill 12/1
Iain Dowie 12/1

I can't really see it but you never know. Also notice Bradford are offering all fans £1 entry to this weekends game.

Seems a bit odd to say to a manager, your incharge but only till after this weekend game :confused:

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10266~2301254,00.html

LancashireHibby
25-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Seems a bit odd to say to a manager, your incharge but only till after this weekend game :confused:

Got a mate who's Bradford mad and he said it was pretty well-known last week that Taylor was going to resign but the board wanted him to remain in charge until they'd had a chance to look for a replacement rather than sticking in a caretaker for too long.

Stevie Reid
25-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Got a mate who's Bradford mad and he said it was pretty well-known last week that Taylor was going to resign but the board wanted him to remain in charge until they'd had a chance to look for a replacement rather than sticking in a caretaker for too long.

Very strange, given that he turned down the chance to go to Newcastle recently: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bradford_city/9336441.stm

--------
25-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Well, if Hughes is in for the job, your mate had better start praying.

HARD! :devil:

iwasthere1972
25-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Heard from a couple of people they are looking at a Scottish Manager. I have just checked the odds and John Hughes is 2nd Fav.

Dean Windass 4/5
John Hughes 5/2
Alan Knill 5/1
Martin Allen 6/1
Wayne Jacobs and/or David Wetherall 8/1
John Hendrie 10/1
Terry Dolan 10/1
Andy Scott 12/1
Brian Laws 12/1
Gary Johnson 12/1
Phil Parkinson 12/1
Lawrie Sanchez 12/1
Keith Hill 12/1
Iain Dowie 12/1

I can't really see it but you never know. Also notice Bradford are offering all fans £1 entry to this weekends game.

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10266~2301254,00.html

How cack have you got to be when Dean Windyass is better odds than you. :devil:

If Yogi should get the job they may have to charge £1 a game even after the weekend.

easty
25-02-2011, 12:50 PM
How cack have you got to be when Dean Windyass is better odds than you. :devil:

If Yogi should get the job they may have to charge £1 a game even after the weekend.

Yep :agree:

Only see him on Soccer Saturday like, but unless he's playing up his "I'm an idiot" act then he's never going to be a football manager. The guys a clown.

iwasthere1972
25-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Yep :agree:

Only see him on Soccer Saturday like, but unless he's playing up his "I'm an idiot" act then he's never going to be a football manager. The guys a clown.

How he ever got a job on Soccer Saturday I'll never know. George or even Zippy from Rainbow could do a better job than he does and would get their point over quicker.

HibbyAndy
25-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Dean Windass???? :hilarious

Have you seen the guy on tv???He cant even talk :hilarious

HibbyAndy
25-02-2011, 01:03 PM
How he ever got a job on Soccer Saturday I'll never know. George or even Zippy from Rainbow could do a better job than he does and would get their point over quicker.

:hilarious

:top marks

:greengrin

LancashireHibby
25-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Well, if Hughes is in for the job, your mate had better start praying.

HARD! :devil:

Already warned him :wink:

Windass would actually be a great motivator but would need a VERY good assistant to basically do everything other than a barely comprehensible team talk :thumbsup:

marinello59
25-02-2011, 01:21 PM

I'd love to see that. :thumbsup:

ShanksSaidNo
25-02-2011, 03:02 PM

Exact same comment could be applied to John Hughes' name.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Combination of the second and third favourites it I think. Hughes and nil go together.

hfc rd
25-02-2011, 08:25 PM
I hope Yogi does get the Bradford job and that he comes and takes away some of the dross he brought up here like Smith, Hart, De Graaf, McBride, Trakys, etc.

Bostonhibby
25-02-2011, 08:29 PM

:confused: Windass & Hughes Dream team maybe? Windass is the tactical mastermind and Yogi is the spokesman? Fitba Fowk Ken Wot I mean. Could work as in deepest darkest Yorkshire it will all translate fine. :greengrin

just_joe
25-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Im thinking Yogi would do a decent job there. His boys McBride , Cregg and Duffy would do well in that league.

Hibbie_Cameron
25-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Windass is class on SS.

You cant make out what he says and he headers fresh air:greengrin

iwasthere1972
25-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Windass is class on SS.

You cant make out what he says and he headers fresh air:greengrin

:agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYYJCn6EPTQ&feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqclkIbYgSo&feature=related :faf:

monktonharp
25-02-2011, 11:05 PM
How he ever got a job on Soccer Saturday I'll never know. George or even Zippy from Rainbow could do a better job than he does and would get their point over quicker.zippy would bungle it

iwasthere1972
25-02-2011, 11:12 PM
zippy would bungle it

You're wasted here Wullie. :greengrin

Thought folk might be interested to hear that Bradford fans on one of their messageboards reckon that Windyass is the English equivalent of Yogi.

eastmainsmsh
01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_6787885,00.html

FromTheCapital
01-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Good luck if he gets the job...

SRHibs
01-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Christ, League Two? That's a bit of a step down.:agree:

northgreen24
01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
good luck to JH, no one wanted him to fail just wasent to be

pitty:flag::flag:

Keith_M
01-03-2011, 07:08 PM

From the SPL? Sure about that? :hmmm:

HH81
01-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Heard he is in talks :greengrin

Hughes out! :na na:

Wembley67
01-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Wonder who he may come cherry picking for? Fingers crossed :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-03-2011, 07:14 PM
First signing Graaf then? Can't see Bradford being able to afford the type of players needed to play the type of footie he wants week in week out though. Guid luck to him anyways like.

Keith_M
01-03-2011, 07:14 PM

From the SPL? Sure about that? :hmmm:

Springbank
01-03-2011, 09:37 PM
zippy would bungle it

Is the Hibs board not made up of Rod, Jane and Freddy?

HibSem
02-03-2011, 10:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCEN7Mh7Qc&feature=related

Sheer broadcasting genius.

--------
02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
You're wasted here Wullie. :greengrin

Thought folk might be interested to hear that Bradford fans on one of their messageboards reckon that Windyass is the English equivalent of Yogi.

Poor souls.

First favourite - Windass-heid-the-air.

Second favourite - Ahma-Liefer-Born-An-Bred.

PeterboroHibee
02-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Good luck to him. It didnt work out here but hope he can find success at another club.

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Poor souls.

First favourite - Windass-heid-the-air.

Second favourite - Ahma-Liefer-Born-An-Bred.

Am i the only one who's a little fed up of the way you are trying to take the mick out of the way he and others like him who are leithers born and bred talk? I'm a leither born and bred Doddie, and i'm proud of it, and the way i and others like me speak.

It never worked out for him, get stuck right into the way he managed, his signings or the tactics he employed, but leave Leith and our way of speaking out of it please.

Speedway
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Am i the only one who's a little fed up of the way you are trying to take the mick out of the way he and others like him who are leithers born and bred talk? I'm a leither born and bred Doddie, and i'm proud of it, and the way i and others like me speak.

It never worked out for him, get stuck right into the way he managed, his signings or the tactics he employed, but leave Leith and our way of speaking out of it please.

You what?

truehibernian
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Worst managerial appointment RP has ever made, absolutely delighted he is nowhere near Easter Road, and could have potentially relegated the club. Bradford, Motherwell, Clyde whoever......they are welcome to him. Hibs fan or not he took the club back to a position that we could have taken years to recover from, on so many levels.

Calderwood is composed, calm on and off the pitch, has grace and humility, and all in all a bit of style. It's no wonder he not only commands it, but gets respect from all quarters, including the media.

Hughes......jeez you were lucky if he shaved in the mornings for the press conference.

Deeeeeelighted we have CC instead of that buffoon :agree:

Speedway
02-03-2011, 11:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCEN7Mh7Qc&feature=related

Sheer broadcasting genius.

Windass is kind of like a cross between Al Bundy from Married With Children and Groutie from Porridge.

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2011, 11:09 AM
You what?

:greengrin You ken what.

iwasthere1972
02-03-2011, 11:28 AM
We might be in luck here if Yogi gets that big job in Yorkshire. We know he likes to sign players that he's worked with before.

Maybe he'll relieve us of McBride, Rankin, Trakys, Duffy, Smith, Brown, De Graff, and Hart and anybody else that's surplus to requirements at Easter Road.

:aok:

Pretty Boy
02-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Bradford City after a 'romantic liason' with a girl on holiday a few years ago who was a season ticket holder at Valley Parade.

Would be gutted for them if Hughes ended up there.

--------
02-03-2011, 01:32 PM
We might be in luck here if Yogi gets that big job in Yorkshire. We know he likes to sign players that he's worked with before.

Maybe he'll relieve us of McBride, Rankin, Trakys, Duffy, Smith, Brown, De Graff, and Hart and anybody else that's surplus to requirements at Easter Road.

:aok:

Naw - those guys are his legacy to the club he loves.... :rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't get the constant criticism and demonising of John Hughes. He identified the problem, but took way too long to sort it, and made a mistake by showing loyalty to a spineless bunch.

To get that mob into Europe was nothing short of a miracle.

He's never hidden his passion for the club.

So why is so hard for people to move on, accept that it didn't work out, and wish one of our own well?

No wonder Sauzee isn't in a hurry to revisit ER if he reads some of the threads on Hughes, Mixu and Collins.

truehibernian
02-03-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't get the constant criticism and demonising of John Hughes. He identified the problem, but took way too long to sort it, and made a mistake by showing loyalty to a spineless bunch.

So why is so hard for people to move on, accept that it didn't work out, and wish one of our own well?

No wonder Sauzee isn't in a hurry to revisit ER if he reads some of the threads on Hughes, Mixu and Collins.

I think each fan has their own reasons Bob, mine were footballing reasons mostly.

Played DW, McCormack, Benji, Riordan and Hanlon out of position, loaned young players (or kept in the stands) who were no worse, perhaps better than the players playing in the side, terrible decision making for captain of the club, perseverance with players who had ill discipline behind the scenes which was affecting the club and the younger players in particular, and very public dressing room spats, caught on or by the radio media after games.

His handling of press conferences was coming across as argumentative and confrontational, his antics on the sidelines were bizarre, and he would choose his moments to face the "faceless fans"......on a bad day he would hide in the dugout away from home. Going away from home in Europe, with your two strikers on the bench, knowing the importance of an away goal......the man didn't have a clue. In a strange way (and I mean strange), John Hughes often outsmarted himself......no mean feat !! Wanting an SPL club to adopt a "Dutch style", wanting his full backs to be reminiscent of Dani Alves, yet signing a recently crocked and older Michael Hart........signing Trakys who had around 11 clubs in 3 or 4 years..........the list is simply endless. The "goalkeeping school" still makes my blood boil when I think of the money that could have been used to better use and for more pressing positions.

A master of contradiction, a habitual user of rhetoric and cliche, and to be blunt, a bad bad football manager IMHO.

For my own reasons, I had time for big Mixu. I also rated Collins however his man management could have been improved upon. However with both of them I get the feeling they both had the respect of the players, not necessarily universally liked, but respected. I had no such belief that HUghes commanded the same.

--------
02-03-2011, 03:30 PM

A lot of reasons, Bob.

The main one being something I was told by an impeccable source about the way he was running training, and about the way he was dealing with some of the younger players.

What I was told just wasn't acceptable - to me.

It's a public forum, and more than that I'm not prepared to say.

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Fair enough chaps, not pretending for a moment he didn't make some big mistakes, and I don't know what his management style was like behind the scenes.

You take as you find in life, and I've met him on few ocassions and found him
a warm and friendly sort who was passionate about the club. Others will have different experiences which are equally valid.

CentreLine
02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
If RP is up to standard here there will be a signing on fee due to us from Yogi's next club and a donation to the training facility plus a sell on fee:greengrin

matty_f
02-03-2011, 05:06 PM

:top marks

Arch Stanton
02-03-2011, 05:14 PM

Agree. :agree:

I think when all the dust has settled, people will accept he did his very best for Hibs both as a player and as a manager.

However, his actions as a manager are out there for all to see and, I'm afraid, to be commented on. But the fact he didn't make the grade is no worse than those aspiring young Hibs youngsters who just failed to make it through to the first team, try as they might.

--------
02-03-2011, 05:17 PM

So, bh, am I.

But I got a bit fed up myself of the way Hughes went on about it - as if somehow that made him more acceptable as a Hibs manager than someone (like CC) who isn't.

Just in the same way as I have many friends from Glasgow, but get fed up with professional Glaswegians.

However, point taken. I apologise. And I will desist. :foot:

--------
02-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Windass is kind of like a cross between Al Bundy from Married With Children and Groutie from Porridge.

Oi! Al Bundy's one of my heroes.

A scholar, philosopher, and misogynist. Unappreciated by those who owe him the most.

http://www.rcade.pp.se/al.html

BEEJ
02-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I think each fan has their own reasons Bob, mine were footballing reasons mostly.

Played DW, McCormack, Benji, Riordan and Hanlon out of position, loaned young players (or kept in the stands) who were no worse, perhaps better than the players playing in the side, terrible decision making for captain of the club, perseverance with players who had ill discipline behind the scenes which was affecting the club and the younger players in particular, and very public dressing room spats, caught on or by the radio media after games.

His handling of press conferences was coming across as argumentative and confrontational, his antics on the sidelines were bizarre, and he would choose his moments to face the "faceless fans"......on a bad day he would hide in the dugout away from home. Going away from home in Europe, with your two strikers on the bench, knowing the importance of an away goal......the man didn't have a clue. In a strange way (and I mean strange), John Hughes often outsmarted himself......no mean feat !! Wanting an SPL club to adopt a "Dutch style", wanting his full backs to be reminiscent of Dani Alves, yet signing a recently crocked and older Michael Hart........signing Trakys who had around 11 clubs in 3 or 4 years..........the list is simply endless. The "goalkeeping school" still makes my blood boil when I think of the money that could have been used to better use and for more pressing positions.

A master of contradiction, a habitual user of rhetoric and cliche, and to be blunt, a bad bad football manager IMHO.

For my own reasons, I had time for big Mixu. I also rated Collins however his man management could have been improved upon. However with both of them I get the feeling they both had the respect of the players, not necessarily universally liked, but respected. I had no such belief that HUghes commanded the same.
:top marks I could add a few more reasons but there's no need.

That accurate list of indictments should be long enough to enable anyone to recall the low points in Hughes' tenure.

Phil D. Rolls
03-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Good luck if he gets the job...

They'll need it. :agree:

It wasn't his accent, it wasn't the way he spoke, it was the stupid things he said. That's got nothing to do with where he comes from. Yogi sometimes played the salt of the earth card to try and get fans onside. That sort of inverted snobbery is just patronising.

Phil D. Rolls
03-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Agree. :agree:

I think when all the dust has settled, people will accept he did his very best for Hibs both as a player and as a manager.

However, his actions as a manager are out there for all to see and, I'm afraid, to be commented on. But the fact he didn't make the grade is no worse than those aspiring young Hibs youngsters who just failed to make it through to the first team, try as they might.

With respect, a youngster who doesn't make the team can't do any damage. An overpromoted jackass in charge of the team nearly took us to ruin. He was well paid for his efforts, unlike the youngster who never picks up a wage.

Would you be happy to have your gall stones take out by ham fisted surgeon, whose only defence would be that they gave it a "right good go"?

--------
03-03-2011, 11:17 AM
It wasn't his accent, it wasn't the way he spoke, it was the stupid things he said. That's got nothing to do with where he comes from. Yogi sometimes played the salt of the earth card to try and get fans onside. That sort of inverted snobbery is just patronising.

THAT was what I objected to as well, but I expressed myself badly. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Hughes wasn't good for Hibs; he wasn't good for the players he was supposed to be coaching and managing; he would certainly have taken us into Division One if he'd been left in post past January.

That's a much more serious matter than a young player coming into the side and not making the grade.

Oh, and btw - we wouldn't have been raving over young Callum Booth if Hughes had had his way....

Bostonhibby
03-03-2011, 05:59 PM

See your point, am Leith born, first Hoose there, wife the same, Nae intention of changing the accent or the use of it, I just feel like maybe others do that Yogis arrangment of the words, whatever the accent didnae make sense.

Theres plenty other examples that have nothing to do wi Leith, some belters for example are Dave Bassett, Dean Windass, Barry Fry. No where they are born, it's making any sense of how they use the words, for me anyway. Eric Cantonas, the lot of them.:wink:

Bostonhibby
03-03-2011, 06:00 PM
They'll need it. :agree:

:agree: thats what I meant!

HH81
03-03-2011, 06:12 PM
If he gets job anyone up for Bradford away in a friendly? :)

Arch Stanton
03-03-2011, 06:22 PM
With respect, a youngster who doesn't make the team can't do any damage. An overpromoted jackass in charge of the team nearly took us to ruin. He was well paid for his efforts, unlike the youngster who never picks up a wage.

Would you be happy to have your gall stones take out by ham fisted surgeon, whose only defence would be that they gave it a "right good go"?

That's certainly one way of putting it I guess.:agree:

And I can identify with your pain. Watching Hibs during Hughes' tenure was very like spending 18 months in a dentist's waiting room.

On the bright side though it looks like the patient was saved with no terminal damage and a return to rude health looking very possible.

And I just have a feeling that stories of Yogi's management exploits will one day become part of our folklore, possibly even eclipsing Jim Duffy, who knows?

Phil D. Rolls
03-03-2011, 07:36 PM
That's certainly one way of putting it I guess.:agree:

And I can identify with your pain. Watching Hibs during Hughes' tenure was very like spending 18 months in a dentist's waiting room.

On the bright side though it looks like the patient was saved with no terminal damage and a return to rude health looking very possible.

And I just have a feeling that stories of Yogi's management exploits will one day become part of our folklore, possibly even eclipsing Jim Duffy, who knows?

Yes, what exactly did go on at East Mains, and why did the players who loved him so much not perform on the pitch?

A dead give away for me was at the derby at ER, when Bingo was up in the Sky commentary box. Most people would have been too embarassed to go back to a place they had just had the sack from.

Not Yogi though, he was waving to the substitutes as they warmed up. To their credit, they pretty much blanked him, showing a lot more professionalism than Hughes ever did.