PDA

View Full Version : Alvarez v Hatton

Pretty Boy
01-03-2011, 11:10 AM
For anyone whos interested and fancies making a bit easy money, Saul Alvarez fights Matthew Hatton for the vacant WBC light middleweight title in California on Saturday.

If you fancy a punt on this get your money on Alvarez by stoppage.

Hatton has improved greatly since switching trainers and going with Bob Shannon but this is a massive step up and probably a step too far for him. Matthews problem is he does everything ok but doesn't really excel in any areas, he's just a bit so-so.

Alvarez turned pro at 15 and is still only 20 but has had an incredible 36 fights in that time. 35 wins and 1 draw with 26 KOs means he is the overwhelming favourite for this one and could well go on to be a star right at the very top of the boxing world. It's a bit of a step up for him as well though, his last 2 fights have been against 39 year olds Lovemore N'Dou (whom Hatton drew with) and Carlos Baldomir, both were well past their peaks. Hatton is a far more live opponent IMO.

I'd go for Alvarez by stoppage and if i was feeling brave i'd stick a few pound on round 7.

easty
01-03-2011, 11:33 AM
For anyone whos interested and fancies making a bit easy money, Saul Alvarez fights Matthew Hatton for the vacant WBC light middleweight title in California on Saturday.

If you fancy a punt on this get your money on Alvarez by stoppage.

Hatton has improved greatly since switching trainers and going with Bob Shannon but this is a massive step up and probably a step too far for him. Matthews problem is he does everything ok but doesn't really excel in any areas, he's just a bit so-so.

Alvarez turned pro at 15 and is still only 20 but has had an incredible 36 fights in that time. 35 wins and 1 draw with 26 KOs means he is the overwhelming favourite for this one and could well go on to be a star right at the very top of the boxing world. It's a bit of a step up for him as well though, his last 2 fights have been against 39 year olds Lovemore N'Dou (whom Hatton drew with) and Carlos Baldomir, both were well past their peaks. Hatton is a far more live opponent IMO.

I'd go for Alvarez by stoppage and if i was feeling brave i'd stick a few pound on round 7.

Just checked the odds, Alvarez is 1/6 to win the fight! Couldn't find a price for winning it in round 7 though.

Pretty Boy
01-03-2011, 11:55 AM
You can get anywhere between 9/1 and 12/1 for Alvarez to stop Hatton in the 7th.

Alvarez by KO, TKO or disqualification is anywhere between 4/9 and 4/11.

Dashing Bob S
01-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Don't think anybody can see anything other than a comprehensive Alvarez win. Then again, they never gave Lloyd Honeyghan a chance against Don Curry - my favourite upset fight of all time.

Hibbie_Cameron
01-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Is it on Sky Sports?

Pretty Boy
01-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Is it on Sky Sports?

I don't think so.

Thats not to say it won't be on tv in Iraq or at Justins though.

Hibbie_Cameron
01-03-2011, 04:09 PM
I don't think so.

Thats not to say it won't be on tv in Iraq or at Justins though.

cheers

Pretty Boy
02-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Just read on World Boxing News that Sky are still in negotiations to show the fight. They will announce either way on Ringside tommorow night.

easty
02-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Don't think anybody can see anything other than a comprehensive Alvarez win. Then again, they never gave Lloyd Honeyghan a chance against Don Curry - my favourite upset fight of all time.

Better than when Will Young suprisingly beat stammery Gareth Gates to win X Factor?

Marabou Stork
02-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Hatton will be beaten very convincingly for me. Alvarez looks as if he's got the potential to be a real top level operator. It's a shame, as I really like Hatton the younger, but for me, he's just not got enough in his locker to seriously trouble Alvarez.

Pretty Boy
04-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Fight won't be on Sky Sports live but there wil be a delayd broadcast at 6.30 on Sunday evening.

Apparently a big chance Hatton promotions are going to pull Matthew out of the fight. Basically the fight was scheduled to be at a catchweight of 150lbs and this was signed into the contracts. A few weeks back the WBC decided to make the fight for the 154lbs title but agreed the fight could still take pace at the catchweight, then 2 weeks ago they had a change of mind and stated the fight was at 154lbs. Despite this the original contracts still state a catchweight of 150lbs and if either fighter comes in over they will be fined. Alvarez now appears happy to accept the fine and come in above the catchweight. He is naturally the bigger man so this gives him an advantage obviously, Golden Boy Promotions and the WBC have also accepted Alvarez request to move the weigh in forward to lunchtime today, giving Alvarez an extra 7 hours or so to rehydrate and put on even more weight, he could realistically go in over a stone heavier than Hatton.

This is total hypocrisy from the WBC. They happily allowed Manny Pacquiao to win this belt at a catchweight against Antonio Margarito, whats changed? I feel a fight for a title should take place at the correct weight but surely it can't be rules for some and rules for others? Pacquiao has won at least 2 titles at catchweights but this isn't acceptable when it's a less well known fighter or perhaps a fighter whos promotion company doesn't have pockets quite as deep as Top Rank or Golden Boy?

The WBC is fast becoming the biggest joke af the major governing bodies and episodes like this show boxing politics for what they are.

Dashing Bob S
05-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Better than when Will Young suprisingly beat stammery Gareth Gates to win X Factor?

Perhaps not quite but definitely in the same ball park. Though if it came to a rematch, GG would probably win due to the publicity garnered for stutterers by the film The King's Speech Impediment.

Pretty Boy
06-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Alvarez wins by unanimous decision. Won every round on all 3 cards except the 7th which was drawn due to Alvarez having a point deducted.

A spirited performance by Hatton ans he can be proud of himself. Might even get another titke chance down at welterweight. Alvarez looked very, very good though, probably could have got the KO but seemed to want to get the extra rounds in. Not a bad fight.

Dashing Bob S
10-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Alvarez wins by unanimous decision. Won every round on all 3 cards except the 7th which was drawn due to Alvarez having a point deducted.

A spirited performance by Hatton ans he can be proud of himself. Might even get another titke chance down at welterweight. Alvarez looked very, very good though, probably could have got the KO but seemed to want to get the extra rounds in. Not a bad fight.

What about this weekend? Cotto by a late stoppage, methinks.

Pretty Boy
11-03-2011, 01:18 PM
What about this weekend? Cotto by a late stoppage, methinks.

Fancy Cotto by late stoppage as well.

I'm not sure he's ever been the same since the beating he took of Margarito and then Pacquaio but should still have enough in the tank for this one.

I also see that Hatton is being lined up to fight the winner of Andre Berto and Victor Ortiz for the WBC welterweight belt. Seems he impressed Golden Boy and the American TV executives enough that they want to give him another big shot.

Hibbie_Cameron
11-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Anyone watching Ricky Burns tomorrow night?

Pretty Boy
11-03-2011, 03:33 PM

:agree:

Fancy Ricky by wide UD. Doesn't have real KO power but should have too much for Laryea.

The great thing for Ricky is because he won the belt as number 1 contender he has been able to fit in a couple of voluntary defences whilst the WBO sorts out a mandatory. This is allowing to get some good experience against decent fighters whilst having the pressure of defending a title to deal with. Every decent win he has bring hm closer to a unification fight, most likely against IBF champion Mzonke Fana, win that and he really would be in the big leagues.

seanraff07
11-03-2011, 08:19 PM

Is it on Sky Sports?

Pretty Boy
11-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Is it on Sky Sports?

Yes, Sky Sports 1 8PM start.

Decent undercard too featuring James DeGale amongst others.

seanraff07
12-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Sounds good. Cheers mate :aok:

HibeeSince85
12-03-2011, 07:57 PM

Such a one sided fight that one was tonight aswell, looking forward to this though, Burns will have enough but hoping for a good fight.

seanraff07
12-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Such a one sided fight that one was tonight aswell, looking forward to this though, Burns will have enough but hoping for a good fight.

Think Laryea possibly bottled it a bit during the fight once he realised he didn't really have enough to beat Ricky. Good, steady display from Burns, improved from his last fight anyway :agree:

Pretty Boy
12-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Too easy for Ricky tonight.

Looked in complete control from the 1st bell and i had him win every round except the 5th. Think Laryea wanted out when he realised he was totally out his depth.

As for th undercard really can't wait for Degale to fight George Groves now. No idea what it is but Degale just really annoys me. Really want to see him in with another quality operator and hopefully brought down a peg or 2. I think it may be hs almost total disrespect for his opponents that annoys me but theres something about him that i cant take to,

Anyway well done Ricky and bring on Fana in a unification bout.

Pretty Boy
13-03-2011, 10:39 AM
For anyone who has been keeping tabs on the career of Craig McEwan you might be interested to know he lost for the 1st time last night. Stopped by a TKO in the 10th round.

Craig was well on top for much of the early part of the fight but God only knows what Freddie Roach and his team have been up to in the gym as Craig looked absolutely exhausted after about the 6th or 7th round. Was knocked down in the 9th and the took a huge left in the 10th and the referee had pretty much no choice but to stop it.

Miguel Cotto also won by 12th round stoppage.