PDA

View Full Version : SPL 2011-2012 Season start date (Merged)

Billy Whizz
28-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Season starts on 23rd July 2011 unless you are Celtic!
http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s2&newsid=9984

Approx 3 weeks earlier than last season

Sylar
28-02-2011, 03:31 PM
This can't be right - this suggests that the SPL didn't screw Celtc over.

So many of them can't be wrong...:rolleyes:

Hibbie_Cameron
28-02-2011, 03:32 PM
I dont see the point in starting the season early when teams can request to postpone a match for a friendly.

james62
28-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Finally a sensible decision from the SPL, hopefully this will improve Scottish teams results in Europe as they will be closer to match fit by the time they enter the Europa League.

I would hope that if Celtic get to postpone their match on July 30th then it's one of their home games.

H18sry
28-02-2011, 03:46 PM
It will be good for the National side who have important WC qualifiers at the start of September :agree:

Golden Bear
28-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Finally a sensible decision from the SPL, hopefully this will improve Scottish teams results in Europe as they will be closer to match fit by the time they enter the Europa League.

I would hope that if Celtic get to postpone their match on July 30th then it's one of their home games.

I doubt if this will make the slightest bit of difference but it's worth a try and it might shut the moaning faced tv/radio pundits up for once.

SouthMoroccoStu
28-02-2011, 03:56 PM
WHAT?!?!

I'm getting married that day.

Better be away from home :worried:

HibeeMcGinn1
28-02-2011, 04:00 PM

After I missing 1 game in about 2 and a half seasons I'll need to count 2 more, I'm in Ayia Napa from the 17th for 2 weeks. BAWZ

Billy Whizz
28-02-2011, 04:00 PM
WHAT?!?!

I'm getting married that day. :worried:

You may get lucky..........................................

Game might get moved to the Sunday!:thumbsup:

Hibeesb0unc3
28-02-2011, 04:02 PM
good decision in my eyes it may mean better results in europe with teams having some games under their belt, it will also put less stress on teams when the weather is garbage in the winter. plus it will also mean we have to wait less during the season ending and the next season starting.

The only problem i can see arising is if the OF want to compete in those pre season competition at the emirates etc and they want to play in them as the money as good leading to SPL games being cancelled

H18sry
28-02-2011, 04:05 PM
good decision in my eyes it may mean better results in europe with teams having some games under their belt, it will also put less stress on teams when the weather is garbage in the winter. plus it will also mean we have to wait less during the season ending and the next season starting.

The only problem i can see arising is if the OF want to compete in those pre season competition at the emirates etc and they want to play in them as the money as good leading to SPL games being cancelled

Make the date of the tournament's that they want to play in the day of the infirm derby then only 2 teams will be inconvenienced :agree:

Hibeesb0unc3
28-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Make the date of that tournament that they want to play in the day of the infirm derby . :agree:

Good idea then they can decide what is more important and if they choose the competitions then they will only have themselves to blame for having to catch up on an SPL game

Hibby70
28-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Season starts on 23rd July 2011 unless you are Celtic!
http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s2&newsid=9984

Approx 3 weeks earlier than last seasondamn thats Wickerman weekend.

Mikey
28-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Well they could always forfeit the 3 points :greengrin

southern hibby
28-02-2011, 04:36 PM
maybe i'm missing the bigger picture but will ths not be a hinderance to scottish clubs in as much as......

1 Less time to buy players and get them to gell with team.

2 Less chance of arranging good pre season games (ie English teams) as they will just be starting pre training.

3. More rush signings as teams want players in and as I have stated trying to get them to gell.

I may be wrong, but as much as I do applaude the SFA for getting of their back side and trying to be proactive I really do feel the majority of Scottish clubs will be pushing things along, pre season.

GGTTH

scoopyboy
28-02-2011, 04:42 PM
After I missing 1 game in about 2 and a half seasons I'll need to count 2 more, I'm in Ayia Napa from the 17th for 2 weeks. BAWZ

Ha ha mate.

Scoopyboy lands back from a fortnight in Florida on the morning of the 23rd.

Do you want a programme?

Brando7
28-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Dont this they need to start the season early, they all moaning about fixture congestion but why do they start midweek fixtures in November?????

Surley some midweek fixtures Aug-Oct will help reduce the problems we have with weather nearer the winter times

marinello59
28-02-2011, 06:11 PM
More tinkering when we need revolution. Why not just be bold and go for summer fitba as soon as possible?

HibeeMcGinn1
28-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Ha ha mate.

Scoopyboy lands back from a fortnight in Florida on the morning of the 23rd.

Do you want a programme?

Aye please scoop, want a sweep done? :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
28-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Make the date of the tournament's that they want to play in the day of the infirm derby then only 2 teams will be inconvenienced :agree:

Considering the Strathclyde Police Chief Constable wants the Old Firm games banned do to the huge increase in violence associated with them should they not just play all the OF games at the Emerates :wink:

frazeHFC
28-02-2011, 07:15 PM
WHAT?!?!

I'm getting married that day.

Better be away from home :worried:

Pospone the wedding.....:devil:

Congrats though. :wink:

francobaresi
28-02-2011, 08:24 PM
cool, school hols so junior can come along on an away day:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
28-02-2011, 10:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9409976.stm

The Scottish Premier League has announced that next season will kick off on 23 July.

The league says that this, the earliest ever SPL start date, will mean clubs entering European competition will be better prepared than ever before.

However, a new "one-off compromise" protocol has been agreed to allow clubs to compete in friendly matches.

For the forthcoming campaign, all SPL clubs can request that one early-season fixture be postponed to allow participation in one-off friendlies and pre-season tournaments

good/bad idea ? the players wont be getting much of a holiday break at the end of this season :dunno:

The Slav
28-02-2011, 11:17 PM
WTF!!

once agan the SPL bend over backwards to accommodate the Auld Infirm so that they can play in lucrative "pre-season" tournaments

a ****in disgrace

what is the point in starting the season early, to then have a week off the following week and then have to play a midweek game to catch up, when one of the reasons for starting early is to avoid midweek games.

Any team intending to take up the offer, should be forced to cancel their lucrative pre-season games and play the planned league games

In olden days, pre-season used to mean before the season started!!!!

Removed
28-02-2011, 11:25 PM
WTF!!

once agan the SPL bend over backwards to accommodate the Auld Infirm so that they can play in lucrative "pre-season" tournaments

a ****in disgrace

what is the point in starting the season early, to then have a week off the following week and then have to play a midweek game to catch up, when one of the reasons for starting early is to avoid midweek games.

Any team intending to take up the offer, should be forced to cancel their lucrative pre-season games and play the planned league games

In olden days, pre-season used to mean before the season started!!!!

:agree:

Olden days :faf: you are younger than me. Have you ever met Jonnyboy :whistle:

cabbageandribs1875
01-03-2011, 01:12 AM
WTF!!

quite bizarre :agree: be interesting to see when they start the season next season :greengrin

Geo_1875
01-03-2011, 05:21 AM
They should schedule the OF derby for the Saturday that the "lucrative" friendlies are being played and let them play each other on the next free Wednesday. But they won't.

GloryGlory
01-03-2011, 06:27 AM
They should schedule the OF derby for the Saturday that the "lucrative" friendlies are being played and let them play each other on the next free Wednesday. But they won't.

Better yet, if the Gruesome Twosome prefer to play friendlies rather than league fixtures, they should be docked 20 points each for failing to complete their fixtures.