PDA

View Full Version : NHC More Problems For Hamilton

H18sry
28-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Taken from the TA board

Simon Mensing banned for four weeks after failing a drugs test.

According to Liam McLeod on twitter.

Can only be good for us :agree:

Mikey
28-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Jings. Presumably they weren't performance enhancing drugs :greengrin

Let's remember it's far from confirmed though folks :wink:

Greentinted
28-02-2011, 11:37 AM
This suggests the ban has been imposed and served (unless he's up for another violation)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/hamilton-player-simon-mensing-faces-drugs-ban-2228007.html

Sir David Gray
28-02-2011, 11:40 AM
This suggests the ban has been imposed and served (unless he's up for another violation)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/hamilton-player-simon-mensing-faces-drugs-ban-2228007.html

Taken from that article.

"The stimulant methylhexaneamine (MHA) was detected in the player's sample, following which a four-week period of ineligibility was imposed on him, starting January 29, 2011, at 0900 and concluding on February 28, 2011, at 0900."

How did he get to play against Dundee Utd on Saturday then, which was February 26th? :confused:

Greentinted
28-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Taken from that article.

"The stimulant methylhexaneamine (MHA) was detected in the player's sample, following which a four-week period of ineligibility was imposed on him, starting January 29, 2011, at 0900 and concluding on February 28, 2011, at 0900."

How did he get to play against Dundee Utd on Saturday then, which was February 26th? :confused:

Oh dear, somebody's goanny be in hot soapy bother! Could be worthwhile keeping abreast of this one.

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 11:46 AM
HAMILTON ACADEMICAL PLAYER: I AM COMPLETELY INNOCENT IN DOPING ‘FIASCO’
(Issued on behalf of Mr Simon Mensing)

Hamilton Academical footballer Simon Mensing today issued the following statement after a ruling by UKAD, the national sport anti-doping organisation, that he had committed a violation of doping regulations.

Simon, 28, said: “This whole saga has been a nightmare for me and my family and can only be described as a fiasco.
“I should make it clear that I would never have taken any banned substance in a million years – and made every effort to check in advance that the dietary supplement I did take was clean.

“I am glad it has been recognised by the anti-doping authority that I did not know that the supplement was contaminated by something that I now know is called Methylhexaneamine. They also accepted that I had made no effort to improve enhance my performance as I did not know I had ingested the substance.

“However, it still leaves a bitter taste that I have been prevented from playing because the rules are that if any substance is found in your body, whether you knew or not, then you bear responsibility. It’s strict liability and that is very hard to take when you are completely innocent.”

Simon used the dietary supplement from September last year which clearly states it contains no banned substances. It is freely available from High Street retailers. Simon sought advice from two different retailers and his club and it appeared there was no banned substance contained in the supplement.

He said: “I did everything I could to check that it was all right and when I gave my routine urine sample at the end of the game on December 29 I told the testers I was taking this. I made no attempt to hide it.

“What makes this even more of a nightmare is there was no way of knowing that this substance was in what appeared to be a perfectly good dietary supplement. Furthermore, the system is such that there is not any easy way to find out about these things. If regulations are going to be enforced like this then even more information needs to be made available to players from the footballing authorities. The whole saga has been hugely frustrating but my conscience is absolutely clear.

“I am very grateful for the support of my family and Hamilton Accies and I am now just glad to be getting back to playing for the Club.”

Taken from

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/141813-press-release-by-simon-mensing/

.................................................. .................................................. ......

Seems like he will play against us :agree:

aberhibsfc
28-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Can't be that serious or it would be much longer than 4 weeks if not an outright ban. It will be something within a medication of some sort he must have taken.

Ronaldo had to play his entrire career without the necessary treatment for a a debilitating thyroid problem. It's amazing how much he achieved whilst having to battle this without the correct treatment. Even with treatment it leaves the sufferer with energy lapses. And to keep it under wraps as not to use it as some form of sympathy or to give his opposition any reason for confidence.

It's scary to think what he could have been if he didn't have to cope with this ailment.

H18sry
28-02-2011, 11:53 AM

Hamilton Academical footballer Simon Mensing today issued the following statement after a ruling by UKAD, the national sport anti-doping organisation, that he had committed a violation of doping regulations.

Simon, 28, said: “This whole saga has been a nightmare for me and my family and can only be described as a fiasco.
“I should make it clear that I would never have taken any banned substance in a million years – and made every effort to check in advance that the dietary supplement I did take was clean.

“I am glad it has been recognised by the anti-doping authority that I did not know that the supplement was contaminated by something that I now know is called Methylhexaneamine. They also accepted that I had made no effort to improve enhance my performance as I did not know I had ingested the substance.

“However, it still leaves a bitter taste that I have been prevented from playing because the rules are that if any substance is found in your body, whether you knew or not, then you bear responsibility. It’s strict liability and that is very hard to take when you are completely innocent.”

Simon used the dietary supplement from September last year which clearly states it contains no banned substances. It is freely available from High Street retailers. Simon sought advice from two different retailers and his club and it appeared there was no banned substance contained in the supplement.

He said: “I did everything I could to check that it was all right and when I gave my routine urine sample at the end of the game on December 29 I told the testers I was taking this. I made no attempt to hide it.

“What makes this even more of a nightmare is there was no way of knowing that this substance was in what appeared to be a perfectly good dietary supplement. Furthermore, the system is such that there is not any easy way to find out about these things. If regulations are going to be enforced like this then even more information needs to be made available to players from the footballing authorities. The whole saga has been hugely frustrating but my conscience is absolutely clear.

“I am very grateful for the support of my family and Hamilton Accies and I am now just glad to be getting back to playing for the Club.”

Taken from

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/141813-press-release-by-simon-mensing/

.................................................. .................................................. ......

Seems like he will play against us :agree:

So the song for Tuesday should be

:singing:YOUR JUST A FAT JUNKIE B******:singing:

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Can't be that serious or it would be much longer than 4 weeks if not an outright ban. It will be something within a medication of some sort he must have taken.

Ronaldo had to play his entrire career without the necessary treatment for a a debilitating thyroid problem. It's amazing how much he achieved whilst having to battle this without the correct treatment. Even with treatment it leaves the sufferer with energy lapses. And to keep it under wraps as not to use it as some form of sympathy or to give his opposition any reason for confidence.

It's scary to think what he could have been if he didn't have to cope with this ailment.
:agree:

Seems like a genuine mistake and the guy took something with a hidden ingredient.

It's a mine field for players these days.

Hibercelona
28-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Jings. Presumably they weren't performance enhancing drugs :greengrin

Let's remember it's far from confirmed though folks :wink:

You sure about that? You'd think they were all on downers. :greengrin

Lets hope they are when we play them. :wink:

Bristolhibby
28-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Done and dusted.

Bit of an innocent **** up.

http://www.independe...an-2228007.html

Taken from

http://www.pieandbov....simon-mensing/

banchoryhibs
28-02-2011, 12:17 PM
[Simon, 28, said:However, it still leaves a bitter taste]

Think that that would have given him a clue:greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
28-02-2011, 12:28 PM
:agree:

Seems like a genuine mistake and the guy took something with a hidden ingredient.

It's a mine field for players these days.

A hidden ingredient? :confused:

easty
28-02-2011, 12:36 PM

Hidden ingredients are the best ones! The wee crunchy biscuity bit in Munchies, well hidden behind that chocolate and caramel. The steak in a good steak pies, another hidden gem.

ballengeich
28-02-2011, 12:38 PM

According to Radio Scotland just now the offending ingredient has only recently been prohibited. It also seems that he checked with the club doctor before taking the medicine, so it probably was an innocent mistake, hence the minimum ban.

Wotherspiniesta
28-02-2011, 12:43 PM
According to Radio Scotland just now the offending ingredient has only recently been prohibited. It also seems that he checked with the club doctor before taking the medicine, so it probably was an innocent mistake, hence the minimum ban.

Yes, but there's a bit of a difference between not knowing if an ingredient is banned and saying there is a "hidden" ingredient.

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Yes - hidden :agree:

It has happened before in 2002 for example

.................................................. .................................................. ....

Alain Baxter, the British skier, was given a surprisingly lenient three-month ban by the International Ski Federation (FIS) on Monday for failing a doping test at the Winter Olympics.

The FIS found, however, that the banned substance methamphetamine found in Baxter's sample taken at the Games in February had been taken unintentionally.
Baxter, who was stripped of the bronze medal he won in the slalom - Britain's first Olympic skiing medal - said the substance came from a cold remedy he had used.

The 28-year-old Scot will be banned from competition until Dec 15, and will miss the opening World Cup event of the season. He has submitted an appeal to the Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration for Sport against the International Olympic Committee's decision to strip him of his medal and disqualify him from the men's slalom.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/3028879/Drugs-in-Sport-Ban-for-Baxter.html

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Has happened before in Sport - Baxter the Scottish skiier used a Vics inhaler bought in a different country lost him the medal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/3028879/Drugs-in-Sport-Ban-for-Baxter.html

HNA8
28-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Taken from that article.

It's a typo error in the report. A four week ban commencing on Jan 29 at 9am would cease on Feb 26 at 9am (6 hours before they played United), not Feb 28.

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Yes, but there's a bit of a difference between not knowing if an ingredient is banned and a saying there is a "hidden" ingredient.

Explain more :confused:

Wotherspiniesta
28-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Explain more :confused:

Well Mensing said he bought it from a high street shop (Presumably Boots or similar). All of their ingredients will be on the back of the packet. Surely all he has to do with his club doctor is run through the ingredients and check the legality of these ingredients in sports laws. They've thoroughly checked for what you call "hidden" ingredients and have given the product the all clear.

However, if a substance has only recently been banned by sports law, and they aren't aware of the change (which is seeminlgy what has happened here) then they've clearly done all they could have.

Surely you understand the difference.

Hibercelona
28-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Well Mensing said he bought it from a high street shop (Presumably Boots or similar). All of their ingredients will be on the back of the packet. Surely all he has to do with his club doctor is run through the ingredients and check the legality of these ingredients in sports laws. They've thoroughly checked for what you call "hidden" ingredients and have given the product the all clear.

However, if a substance has only recently been banned by sports law, and they aren't aware of the change (which is seeminlgy what has happened here) then they've clearly done all they could have.

Believe it or not, not all the ingredients are listed on the back.

Hibee Daz
28-02-2011, 01:01 PM

I didn't know that about Ronaldo, it's an awfy job when you can't take medication for a serious medical condition for the risk of being deemed a cheat!

At least I now know why he had that daft haircut, he was obviously too knackered to finish it off due to his illness.
:tumble::taxi

Wotherspiniesta
28-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Believe it or not, not all the ingredients are listed on the back.

Let's not be pedantic.

If not on the back, they'll be on the information leaflet inside the packet.

givescotlandfreedom
28-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Mensing's a big animal, initially I thought he'd had a dodgy bale of hay or something.

--------
28-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Mensing's a big animal, initially I thought he'd had a dodgy bale of hay or something.

But he'll be available for tomorrow evening.

Hibercelona
28-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Let's not be pedantic.

If not on the back, they'll be on the information leaflet inside the packet.

No.

Not every single ingredient is listed on the back or inside the packet.

Pharmaceutical companies apply the same principles as the food industry. They have "hidden" ingredients to prevent other phatmaceutical companies from mimicking their formula.

Wotherspiniesta
28-02-2011, 01:19 PM
No.

Not every single ingredient is listed on the back or inside the packet.

Pharmaceutical companies apply the same principles as the food industry. They have "hidden" ingredients to prevent other phatmaceutical companies from mimicking their formula.

Not active ingredients that would be outlawed by sports laws.

Jim44
28-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Why is a ban which is coming to an end now being offered as breaking news? Is this the first instance of it being reported? Seems odd.

Part/Time Supporter
28-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Why is a ban which is coming to an end now being offered as breaking news? Is this the first instance of it being reported? Seems odd.

Accies were able to hush it up for a while because he was suspended (normally) for a couple of games and they then said he was being given compassionate leave to do with his wife giving birth. Some journo must have done a bit of digging and found out the story.

Hibercelona
28-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Not active ingredients that would be outlawed by sports laws.

Thats what I thought myself.

But according to the artical, it was a hidden ingredient.

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 03:27 PM

No - depending where the substance is bought not all products have been tested.

I have spoken with people who are involved with doping and I know pro athletes in different sports and like I said it's a minefield for problems.

It's getting better and more regulated but such with my Baxter example and this link - if you read it you will see what I am talking about :agree:

http://thecatlinperspective.wordpress.com/2010/11/05/controlled-substances-in-dietary-supplement-and-the-potential-threat-to-public-health/

Therefore there are hidden ingredients in sports supplements :agree:

Wotherspiniesta
28-02-2011, 03:53 PM
"Despite its addition to the list, methylhexanamine continues to cause positive drugs tests, including the recent announcements of nearly a dozen positives among Indian athletes. This is largely due to the confusing network of synonyms and brand names. For example, methylhexanamine is also known as Forthan, Forthane, Floradrene, Jack3d, DMAA, shizandol A, 1-3 dimethylamine, geranamine, geranium oil extract and more. This is of primary concern as it results in unknown use of these drugs by consumers and athletes alike"

Maybe that was where Mensing got confused :greengrin

Maybe he should try the Christian Nade slimming diet? Active ingredients include Canyscoragoalathame and inthaboxamfarfilethyll

hibsboy90
28-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Just seen a report on this episode on SSN, he was taking fat burn capsules that you buy in any old Holland and Barret. Probably saw those adverts on the tv.

BoltonHibee
28-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Accies were able to hush it up for a while because he was suspended (normally) for a couple of games and they then said he was being given compassionate leave to do with his wife giving birth. Some journo must have done a bit of digging and found out the story.

Mensing was given an automatic ban after testing positive to the substance. He was not allowed to offer any defence until the hearing last week. (Not for want of trying).

When the hearing was held, he was allowed to resume playing with immediate effect.

Hamilton are not very happy, nor is the player.

Iggy Pope
28-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Mensing was given an automatic ban after testing positive to the substance. He was not allowed to offer any defence until the hearing last week. (Not for want of trying).

When the hearing was held, he was allowed to resume playing with immediate effect.

Hamilton are not very happy, nor is the player.

Can only have been downers then.

BoltonHibee
28-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Can only have been downers then.

:greengrin