PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Defeat At Hamilton.

brog
27-02-2011, 06:52 PM
This may seem somewhat negative but IMO avoiding defeat is what's essential for Tuesday. Hamilton have won 2/26 this season & given goal difference should need to win 5 out of remaining 12 just to beat our current points total. It's essential they don't start a recovery on Tuesday. I hope for a win but would settle for a draw right now. Hopefully we'll take a good support through & get the required result. GGTTH!

Pretty Boy
27-02-2011, 07:05 PM
This may seem somewhat negative but IMO avoiding defeat is what's essential for Tuesday. Hamilton have won 2/26 this season & given goal difference should need to win 5 out of remaining 12 just to beat our current points total. It's essential they don't start a recovery on Tuesday. I hope for a win but would settle for a draw right now. Hopefully we'll take a good support through & get the required result. GGTTH!

:agree:

If we don't lose we are safe IMO.

I'm not saying we shouldn't go with the view we can and should win but a draw is anything but a disaster.

madabouthibs
27-02-2011, 07:15 PM
This is, in my opinion the easiest game we have from this 5 game run.
When I looked at our next 5 games a few weeks back I said to a mate that we should expect 15 points from these games under normal circumstances. Wish I'd dropped a fiver on it! :agree:

Hamilton 1 Hibs 3. :greengrin

HibeeSince85
27-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah I get what your saying, the way we're playing at the moment I'd hope for a win, can see us winning it but i'd ge quite happy to get the game out the way with a point and that's relegation killed off pretty much.

Win the game though and we will all be looking for Top 6:thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
27-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I'd like to think we had higher aspirations than that. We're not world beaters, but our post-window form entitles us to go there hunting for three points.

lapsedhibee
27-02-2011, 07:24 PM

It does. Since about 10 mins into the home game against St Liedown, when it became clear that the then new midfield and striker were actually able to influence what was happening in the game, relegation was no longer a credible possibility. Hamilton 1 Hibs 3.

IWasThere2016
27-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I'd like to think we had higher aspirations than that. We're not world beaters, but our post-window form entitles us to go there hunting for three points.

I agree Sir Bob.

--------
27-02-2011, 07:34 PM
It does. Since about 10 mins into the home game against St Liedown, when it became clear that the then new midfield and striker were actually able to influence what was happening in the game, relegation was no longer a credible possibility. Hamilton 1 Hibs 3.

I hope you're right, lh. As you know, my pre-match paranoia makes it very difficult for me to adopt an optimistic stance before the event; however, a draw is the minimum we should be looking for on Tuesday evening - a win would set us up nicely for the run-in to the League split.

BTW, and on a different tangent entirely - as one who saw Bobby Duncan, John Brownlie, Erich Schaedler and David Murphy come into the Hibs team and shine - I have to ask JUST HOW GOOD is young Callum Booth going to be?

HibeeSince85
27-02-2011, 07:38 PM

This is still Hibs remember, it's going on 15 years now since i've been watching us and banking on winning away to a team that's struggling just never happens.

Like I said though, I believe we can but i'll take a point.

Albion Hibs
27-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I cant remember over the last few seasons having an easy game through there, in fact the opposite. I think it will be a harder game than against St Mirren away as IMO Hamilton are a better team than St Mirren and probably have more of a threat up front.

If we can go their and start well we will have a good chance of getting something from the game. Fingers crossed we can keep the run going, I dont want to sound defeatest but part of me would take a draw now.

hibsbollah
27-02-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm unusually confident after yesterday. We wont get bullied anymore, we are a better footballing side, all eleven are contributing and calderwood knows his best side. We even seem to have that most un-hibs-like thing, a good team spirit.

I'd be amazed if we lost.

Ferryhibby
27-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I hope you're right, lh. As you know, my pre-match paranoia makes it very difficult for me to adopt an optimistic stance before the event; however, a draw is the minimum we should be looking for on Tuesday evening - a win would set us up nicely for the run-in to the League split.

BTW, and on a different tangent entirely - as one who saw Bobby Duncan, John Brownlie, Erich Schaedler and David Murphy come into the Hibs team and shine - I have to ask JUST HOW GOOD is young Callum Booth going to be?

Its being a hibby that makes us paranoid :wink: think we have to go lookin for the win but ill take a draw on the other point i never saw Bobby Duncan but did see Schaedler Brownlie and Murphy and i put this guy on a par with Brownlie, cool unfased lovely runner great feet an absolute star in the making as usual how long can we keep him before all the wolves start sniffing around but il enjoy his performances till that day comes along.

Sergey
27-02-2011, 07:50 PM
It's worth remembering how dire our away record is over the last 12-18 months.

On the plus side, Hamilton haven't won at home all season.

I certainly won't be wagering any money on the match result.

Seveno
27-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I hope CC isn't happy with a draw. We are far superior to this doomed team and should be looking for 3 points so we can maintain the aim of making the top 6. It will be a big ask but impossible if we can't beat Hamilton and St Johnstone.

As for Calum Booth, I saw Duncan etc and loved all of them. Even with nostalgia doesn't lead to to be believe anything other than Calum will be even better than any of them.

--------
27-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Its being a hibby that makes us paranoid :wink: think we have to go lookin for the win but ill take a draw on the other point i never saw Bobby Duncan but did see Schaedler Brownlie and Murphy and i put this guy on a par with Brownlie, cool unfased lovely runner great feet an absolute star in the making as usual how long can we keep him before all the wolves start sniffing around but il enjoy his performances till that day comes along.

We have him on contract until 2015, I think, so if they want him, they'll have to pay through the nose. I don't mind him going to the Wolves in 2014 - for an adequate transfer fee, of course - but I don't want him going to the Dark Side. I think that all things being equal and all going well for him, he'll be in a position to do much, much better than Wolves, or the OF.

Anyone who sees the highlights of yesterday can't fail to see the potential - cool on the ball in the 18-yard box, driving runs up the left, and a superb left-foot strike for the goal. (Unless, of course, it was just a toe-poke?)

lapsedhibee
27-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Anyone who sees the highlights of yesterday can't fail to see the potential - cool on the ball in the 18-yard box, driving runs up the left, and a superb left-foot strike for the goal.

Dribbling out of the penalty box was indeed Brownliesque.

BEEJ
27-02-2011, 08:12 PM
The first four posts on this thread are remarkably cool, measured and sensible from a support that has routinely been ridiculed in the past as having ridiculous expectations and ideas well above its station. :greengrin

And I concur with their sentiment.

Naturally, I want Hibs to win. On recent form I think there's every chance that we can win. However, I'd be satisfied with a draw in terms of a result that would finally close the door on the possible relegation battle that was looming large just a month ago.

What a turnaround!

:flag:

hibeedonald
27-02-2011, 08:38 PM
got disaster written all over it :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-02-2011, 08:40 PM
There will have to come a time soon, when the Accies boss lets go of the five at the back set up and goes for wins. A win against us or St Mirren counts almost double, so I think they will see it as a must win game. With that in mind, we can sit in and pick them off. If we score first I can see 0-3 or 0-4.

truehibernian
28-02-2011, 09:42 AM
There will have to come a time soon, when the Accies boss lets go of the five at the back set up and goes for wins. A win against us or St Mirren counts almost double, so I think they will see it as a must win game. With that in mind, we can sit in and pick them off. If we score first I can see 0-3 or 0-4.

I don't think Billy Reid has the personnel to start playing a more attacking formation to be honest. Dundee Utd could have been three up at half time going on the highlights and cut them open at will, and that was them playing in a more defensive style.

If we can again grab the first goal then I would hope for a solid performance and a victory. Their only threat is big MAC who will run his heart out for the cause. Little Hasselbank caused us problems at Easter Road when dropping deep and collecting the ball and running at the heart of the defence. However we now have the likes of Palsson and Scott to limit the space in that pocket, so again, Hibs should be far far stronger in that area of the pitch.

Also interested to see Michael Duberry out of the St Johnstone team for a few weeks. That could definitely work in our favour with Sodje likely to have been up against him next week. Might we see a win at Perth too......here's hoping.

We seem to be getting the wee breaks at present on and off the pitch so long may it continue.

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 09:50 AM
It's worth remembering how dire our away record is over the last 12-18 months.

On the plus side, Hamilton haven't won at home all season.

I certainly won't be wagering any money on the match result.

:agree:

This is Hibs - we are unbeaten in 4 games and 5 wins in a row would be terrific but I think Hamilton are better than St Mirren.

I remember watching the Celtic game earlier in the season live on t.v and they fought for everything and came away with a draw I think.

This is massive for Hamilton and Hibs have to be up for the battle again or we will get nothing.

I am more positive we have a better team spirit and some fighters now in the team who will do that.

If we score 1st I will be confident :agree:

allezsauzee
28-02-2011, 10:15 AM
A proper attitude and a reasonable run of the green should see 3 points in our sky rocket

Big Frank
28-02-2011, 10:49 AM
3pts tomorrow and 3 on saturday.:agree:

Sir David Gray
28-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I can't believe there's people talking about us merely avoiding defeat tomorrow night.

This is Hamilton we're talking about, they are bottom of the league for a reason. This year's Hamilton side is one of the worst teams to be in the SPL so I see no reason why we won't win tomorrow night and if we don't win, I will be very disappointed.

They haven't won at home in the league for almost a year and they are becoming increasingly detached at the bottom of the table. I know they hammered us the last time we went there but for the first time in over a year, we are actually looking like a decent football side and have a bit of confidence about our play.

I will be going through to tomorrow night's match fully expecting Hibs to come back with all three points.

brog
28-02-2011, 11:12 AM
These are probably the most sane & sensible comments I've ever read on a Net thread! :greengrin
Like everyone else I'm desperately hoping for a Hibs win on Tuesday, & Saturday as well. However, having been a Hibs fan for over 50 years I know full well our ability to fail to deliver when required. We haven't drawn an away game all season & have lost 10! I just feel a draw on Tuesday finishes any chance Hamilton have of catching us so for once thinking with my head rather than heart I'd take a draw now.

PeterboroHibee
28-02-2011, 11:12 AM
I think when people are talking about us avoiding defeat, it isnt because we arent good enough to win, but more this is the sort of fixture that we could slip up in.

We are flying, 4 wins in a row, only 1 goal conceded, against the bottom team who have a woeful home record.

We are definitely good enough to win, but we cant take anything for granted, everything is surely in our favour, but Hibs being Hibs, we could easily screw it up (as United almost did at the weekend).

I think CC will have them fired up for it, its a massive chance for us to get another 3 points and it seems like hes got it drilled into them that 4 games is nothing, they need to build on it, so hopefully we can get the result.

steakbake
28-02-2011, 11:15 AM
I'd take anything tomorrow night. A one nil boring win or a five nowt doing. It's all about the points just now.

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Is Ian Murray back tomorrow from suspension ?

Sir David Gray
28-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Is Ian Murray back tomorrow from suspension ?

Yes.

MacBean
28-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I HATE Hamilton away.
I always get the worst feeling that we are going to get beat, and last season I was right.
I hope to god im wrong but that feeling is in my stomach again today

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Yes.

Should Murray start - Captain etc ?

Miller played well at the weekend...

Reaper
28-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Personally I thought Hibs performance at the weekend was the best they've been by far, in months and months. They knocked the ball about well, played decent football at times and scrapping when the situation merited. I'd say any player dropped for anything other than injuries would be mighty unlucky, however, I'm also aware that CC will change the squad when and where games/situation merit. Might be a scrappier game tomorrow, therefore Murray might get put back in.

--------
28-02-2011, 12:49 PM

Ain't broke - don't fix it, is my opinion.

Paul Hanlon's been doing fine as skipper in Ian's absence, but we have another game on Saturday, and CC may want to stir the pot a wee bit.

Then again, Miller played well, and so did Lewis...

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Ain't broke - don't fix it, is my opinion.

Paul Hanlon's been doing fine as skipper in Ian's absence, but we have another game on Saturday, and CC may want to stir the pot a wee bit.

Then again, Miller played well, and so did Lewis...

Will Miller play well 2 games in a row...:greengrin

Murray was arguably our man of the match last game he played before he was suspended.

I would keep the same team again - bring Murray on 2nd half if any of the midfield are bottling it.

--------
28-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Will Miller play well 2 games in a row...:greengrin

Murray was arguably our man of the match last game he played before he was suspended.

I would keep the same team again - bring Murray on 2nd half if any of the midfield are bottling it.

Or play Murray, with Miller or Stevenson coming on if Ian begins to slow up.

Tomorrow may be a night for battlers - Hamilton know they have to win tomorrow or they're sunk. Teams playing in the last chance saloon sometimes find a wee bit extra - ask Liverpool.

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Or play Murray, with Miller or Stevenson coming on if Ian begins to slow up.

Tomorrow may be a night for battlers - Hamilton know they have to win tomorrow or they're sunk. Teams playing in the last chance saloon sometimes find a wee bit extra - ask Liverpool.

A few positives from this run of wins -

- we have had more consistency in the team selections
- more competition for places

We could have on the bench tomorrow - Stevenson, Murray, Thornhill, Vaz Te plus others which gives us decent options if things needed to be changed :aok: