PDA

View Full Version : Most significant new face?

Hibbyradge
27-02-2011, 08:01 AM
I was involved in an interesting discussion after the game yesterday so I thought I'd open it out to the board for your thoughts.

It's clear that the players Colin Calderwood brought to Easter Road in January have made a hugely positive impact on our performances and results, but out of them all, which ONE new player has made the biggest difference?

The full backs have helped steady the defence and I think Callum Booth is a fantastic player. I also love what Palsson brings to the midfield so I was going to choose one of them, but my mate argued for Sodje.

He rightly makes the point that we're now able to play the ball to the front without immediately conceding possession and this allows our midfield to get on the front foot.

What do you guys think?

BroxburnHibee
27-02-2011, 08:04 AM
I'd agree with that.....booths emergence is a real pleasure though.

Hibstrooper
27-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Although not a new player I'd say the return of Stack has been the most significant.

NorthNorfolkHFC
27-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Its tough because there is an argument for all of them...

Towell and Booth are happy to rampage down the flanks

Palsson offers the guile in midfield in combination with aggression

Sodje holds the ball well and from what i have read/heard he is a top lad in the changing room as well.

I'd go with Sodje purely because although he is good on the pitch every changing room needs a character with a bit 'banter'!!

Leith_Hibee
27-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Jimmy Scott for me with his terrier like attitude, doesn't give the opposition a minutes peace. He also free's up Miller to concentrate his energy in creating opportunities.
I also think his enthusiasmn will rub off on others, we were a little bit stale and one dimensional prior to his (and Palsson) arrival.

matty_f
27-02-2011, 08:44 AM
I'd say sodje. Biggest illustration to back that up was the 3-0 loss to dundee united. Midfield were good but we offered nothing going forward, in fact we had nish send a free header in front of goal backwards.
Next game, sodje came in (iirc) and all of a sudden the ball stayed in the opposition half long enough to get the midfield forward to support.
He's not a great finisher, but I don't think his overall contribution can be overstated.

Riordans Boots
27-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Jimmy Scott for me with his terrier like attitude, doesn't give the opposition a minutes peace. He also free's up Miller to concentrate his energy in creating opportunities.
I also think his enthusiasmn will rub off on others, we were a little bit stale and one dimensional prior to his (and Palsson) arrival.

I agree. And it's amazing the confindence on that pitch yesterday. Miller and Riordan both had a great game. Things are definately looking up :flag:

degenerated
27-02-2011, 09:00 AM
[/B]

I agree. And it's amazing the confindence on that pitch yesterday. Miller and Riordan both had a great game. Things are definately looking up :flag:

would agree with you about miller but riordan was average at best yesterday.

Kaiser1962
27-02-2011, 09:19 AM
I'd agree with that.....booths emergence is a real pleasure though.

And to think there were some people who thought we should have went for Steven Smith. :rolleyes:

Arch Stanton
27-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Over the four games our first goal was scored in 63, 52, 87 and 58 mins and I attribute this to the fact that the opposition was not able to stay with us.

For that reason I'd say it's between Scott and Sodje - yesterday they both put in a hell of a shift over the full 90, but over the piece I'd maybe give it to Sodje - however I'd love to see Scott getting more reward for those lung-bursting runs he makes into the box.

Now that we are pretty much clear of relegation worries my hope that we will relax a bit and become better at creating/taking goals - it all seems a bit too tense just now.

BEEJ
27-02-2011, 09:34 AM
The immense contribution of 'Jimmy' Scott cannot be underestimated.

But personally I'm delighted that it's so hard to judge which one player has made the most difference. Each of the new faces has played a significant role in turning around the form of this team.

Keep it going for Tuesday night, lads.

:flag:

smurf
27-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Combination of all working together.

And IMHO the real credit for that must go to Colin Calderwood for putting almost a new side together in the January transfer window.

Wembley67
27-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Threads like this is actually making this board a more enjoyable place to be again :hnet:

lucky
27-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Jimmy Scott is the new Pat McGinley, he is a prober box to box player (Yogi and De Graffe take note). I think its hard to single anyone out but Palsson has the most class but happy with all them

Hibbyradge
27-02-2011, 09:44 AM

And IMHO the real credit for that must go to Colin Calderwood for putting almost a new side together in the January transfer window.

And Rod Petrie for sticking by him despite intense critisism and giving him the funds to bring in the new players.

Hank Schrader
27-02-2011, 09:51 AM

I totally agree with that statement.

He signalled out the weakest areas of the team and strengthened them accordingly. Hibs are now a strong unit and are going to be a difficult team to beat under Calderwood. Fair enough there are still some stern tests to come but now that relegation no longer appears to be an issue I can see this team working hard, gaining in confidence and setting a solid foundation for itself.

CC's summer shopping list should include a goalscorer, playmaker and a couple of centre halfs. Possibly a right back if Towell goes back to Celtic which I assume he will.

And on the subject, of all the new signings, Palsson has made the biggest difference. The guy is a class act. Big mention to Scott too, the type of in your face, aggressive, box to box midfielder we have been missing for a long time.

BroxburnHibee
27-02-2011, 09:52 AM
And to think there were some people who thought we should have went for Steven Smith. :rolleyes:

No me - been saying from the minute I first seen him he would be the next great player to come through.

Early days yet though - we have to nurture this laddies natural ability.

I think its the composure he always shows - his confidence spreads through the team.

Hank Schrader
27-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Jimmy Scott is the new Pat McGinley, he is a prober box to box player (Yogi and De Graffe take note). I think its hard to single anyone out but Palsson has the most class but happy with all them

Funnily enough I said the very same to a mate last week.

Hank Schrader
27-02-2011, 09:56 AM
And Rod Petrie for sticking by him despite intense critisism and giving him the funds to bring in the new players.

:top marks

snooky
27-02-2011, 09:58 AM
While I agree that the new players have made a big difference, I think the main reason for the turnaround has been getting rid of the non-triers and the not-good-enoughs.

TornadoHibby
27-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I was involved in an interesting discussion after the game yesterday so I thought I'd open it out to the board for your thoughts.

It's clear that the players Colin Calderwood brought to Easter Road in January have made a hugely positive impact on our performances and results, but out of them all, which ONE new player has made the biggest difference?

The full backs have helped steady the defence and I think Callum Booth is a fantastic player. I also love what Palsson brings to the midfield so I was going to choose one of them, but my mate argued for Sodje.

He rightly makes the point that we're now able to play the ball to the front without immediately conceding possession and this allows our midfield to get on the front foot.

What do you guys think?

I think that the new players have all contributed hugely to the improvement in competitiveness that we now have making us a difficult team to beat but in Booth and Hanlon we have two exceptional young defenders who IMO will go on to be two of the best players ever to come through our youth system and also play for Scotland and in the EPL! :agree:

The Falcon
27-02-2011, 10:23 AM

I think that the new players have all contributed hugely to the improvement in competitiveness that we now have making us a difficult team to beat but in Booth and Hanlon we have two exceptional young defenders who IMO will go on to be two of the best players ever to come through our youth system and also play for Scotland and in the EPL! :agree:

Hanlon is the most natural centre half seen at ER in years and this has been mentioned many times by many people. You have to wonder why he was stuck at LB for so long which did the man's confidence no good at all. While the best LB was out on loan, along with (two years ago) the most promising RB.

The more this unfolds the worse it looks on Yogi's tenure.

iwasthere1972
27-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I'd say sodje. Biggest illustration to back that up was the 3-0 loss to dundee united. Midfield were good but we offered nothing going forward, in fact we had nish send a free header in front of goal backwards.
Next game, sodje came in (iirc) and all of a sudden the ball stayed in the opposition half long enough to get the midfield forward to support.
He's not a great finisher, but I don't think his overall contribution can be overstated.

That's on a par with saying that Messi is an average player. :wink:

Jimmy Scott gets the nod from me.

mim
27-02-2011, 10:35 AM
An interesting and tricky question from the Radge. :wink:

Firstly, great credit goes to CC for turning things round with his signings and the way he has set the team out.

All of the new guys are contributing, as are Stack and Booth after their promotions to the first team.

Of the new signings, Palsson is clearly talented, Scott is more than a workhorse, Sodje is the target man that we haven't had since Mixu, Thornhill looks accomplished and Towell is a good young right back.

In truth, it's probably Sodje that has made most impact. He'll never be a striker, but, as a target man, I think he's a real asset.

With Hanlon and Dickoh at centre back, Hibs a real solid looking unit now.

Well done CC. :thumbsup:

sahib
27-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Sodjie for me, but really it is a combination of all of the changes. Scott looks alright but he wasn't playing in the first game against St Mirren and that was the one that got the run started. The whole squad had lost belief/form, whatevever, so that scale of the change was really the most significant thing.
I wouldn't be surprised if any of the squad that have been dropped came back in and looked quite good again, due to playing in a team with a bit of confidence.

jane_says
27-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Agree wholeheartedly, maybe a little less technically gifted than Palsson, Miller etc but makes up for it no problem with energy and attitude.

I remember Jimmy getting booked at tannadice with 10 minutes to go, 3-0 down because a utd player wasn't giving the ball back, and he just wanted to get on with it and fight for the team. I immediately thought, 'that is a player i want in my team'

PeterboroHibee
27-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Really cant single out an individual player, as I feel all the new boys have brought something to the team.

Sodje gives us relief up front, where he can win balls and either flick it on or hold it up himself. Okay he wont score many goals but if hes got others around him who will, hes an invaluable part of that system.

Palsson is a player we have clearly been lacking for quite a few seasons, someone who will sit in front of the back 4 and break up play (Bamba was there for a while but wanted to be in defence). Hes more than just that though, his quality shines through. Scott and Thornhill have both offered that extra bit of quality to our midfield.

Booth and Towell have both really impressed me, its refreshing to see us have two full backs who can actually defend and go forward with the ball. Good fullbacks are key for any decent team, been a while since we've have decent players in both positions!

The Falcon
27-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Agree wholeheartedly, maybe a little less technically gifted than Palsson, Miller etc but makes up for it no problem with energy and attitude.

I remember Jimmy getting booked at tannadice with 10 minutes to go, 3-0 down because a utd player wasn't giving the ball back, and he just wanted to get on with it and fight for the team. I immediately thought, 'that is a player i want in my team'

I remember that as well and though much the same thing. I though that was the guy that some of the others would be looking to when we were getting kicked off the park somewhere. A "team" is many personalities and types.

hibiedude
27-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Since January Richie Towell has made a great difference to the team and he had a bad start with that pass back against Rangers.

but he has played out of his skin everytime iv'e seen him and gets top marks

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-02-2011, 12:18 PM
If I had to pick out one, I would pick out The Back Four. Kinda funny that Booth has turned out to be the player that Grounds was meant to be.

Dashing Bob S
27-02-2011, 12:28 PM
If I had to pick out one, I would pick out The Back Four. Kinda funny that Booth has turned out to be the player that Grounds was meant to be.

The back four look impressive and a lot of clubs must look enviously at them. Take the St Mirren side of May 86. It would be difficult to see them suffering the humiliation of shipping five goals at home to Celtic had they had such an accomplished defensive line up.

Albion Hibs
27-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Good question!

I think if I was looking to pick players I would look to Booth or Towel, probably the former. Players like Sodje have given opposition centre halfs something to think about, they will probably realise he is not going to stick on in the top corner (of the goal, odds on to hit the back of the FF stand) but he will get stuck in and win his fair share. Palsson started very well and whilst still playing well has not really matched his initial performances. Scott seems to run about a lot, I think and hope we have more to see of him.

So I guess I am going for Booth, but probably all of them!! But in fact probably CC.

In reality I think that the arrival of new players has increased the confidence of the existing ones in addition to creating a bit of preassure to go out and play well as there are others waiting in the wings.

The thing I am most pleased with is whilst we dont always look like a goal threat we are winning the vast, vast majority at the back, we can place a lot of trust in our keeper and our midfield look like they want to score and get forward.

GreenPJ
27-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Whilst I think RP gets a lot of unfair stick he had no option but to stick with him. What would the repercussions of been for him if he had offloaded a manager that he had brought in 3 months earlier on the back of the failures of Mixu and Yogi.

Petrie had no option to keep him (thankfully) if he wanted his position to remain tenable.

Albanian Hibs
27-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Not a new player but Graham Stack has made a big difference to the team, especially the confidence to our defence :agree: I also love watching Jimmy Scott, he's the kind of player we have been screaming out for for years :agree:

Iggy Pope
27-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I think there were a couple of thousand 'new faces' there yesterday and that made a huge difference.

blackpoolhibs
27-02-2011, 02:19 PM
There's a case for nearly all of them, i think Stack has brought a calming influence to the team that runs through the side.

Next season will hopefully be a big success, with even more better players arriving. And we have the bonus of De Graff to come back too. :wink:

iwasthere1972
27-02-2011, 03:51 PM
There's a case for nearly all of them, i think Stack has brought a calming influence to the team that runs through the side.

Next season will hopefully be a big success, with even more better players arriving. And we have the bonus of De Graff to come back too. :wink:

:greengrin Can he sing and be at Easter Road early to assist with the flag hanging?

IWasThere2016
27-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Vitally they have all made a positive difference, and I'm confident of CC more influential players this summer.

One other factor is we are having more of the ball, and the possession stats are better. Some of these under Yogi were poor - but yesterday it reads as 57:43 in our favour.

'MON THE CC :thumbsup:

BEEJ
27-02-2011, 06:30 PM
:everythin

Reaper
27-02-2011, 06:40 PM

Jimmy Scott for me but it's difficultto single anyone out they've all contributed immensely. Good info passed by Derek Adams as he mentioned Scott, when he couldn't get a game for Ross County and a few on here, me included, we sceptical.

Pretty Boy
27-02-2011, 06:47 PM
All the new faces have brought something.

If we include Stack and Booth as new faces then i think collectively the most important thing they have brought is a confidence and self belief that had been drained from the team under Hughes.

Stack oozes confidence and this relaxes those in front of him, Hanlon and Dickoh have looked 10x better since he's been in goals. Towell and epecially Booth look so relaxed and willing for 2 young lads. Palsson is different class and looks like he is loving it here, Scott is all energy and isn't shy about getting a point accross, Thornhill i've seen the least of but i'm convinced he's a player and Sodje seems a bit of a charcater and seems able to forget the misses and just do what he does best which is put defenders under pressure, get in their faces and just be a general nuisance.

It's refreshing to see a transfer window where the debate is centred around who the best player is as opposed to trying to pick flaws in signings. It's premature to get carried away but there is a bit of a feel good factor creeping back in at ER and long may it continue.

DH1875
27-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Palsson for me. Really hope we can get him tied down to a longer deal.

--------
27-02-2011, 07:55 PM

What do you guys think?

Graham Stack isn't a new face, though he's made a huge difference since he came back into the side. Dickoh and Hanlon look like brand-new players now they have him behind them. Even when they make mistakes, they seem to be able to deal with them without recriminations, put them out of their minds, and get on with the game. Jakob Divis we haven't seen yet, even on the bench.

Richie Towells is a player I hope we might be able to hold on to. He fills a place we really haven't come anywhere near filling since Whittaker left. Callum Booth reminds me of two other young full-backs who came into the side around his age - if I say he's a mirror-image of two of the best right-backs I've ever seen in Scottish football, and that his goal yesterday was a mirror-image of one of the most memorable goals I've ever seen at ER, you'll know who I mean.

Thornhill I haven't seen - but he's been injured. I'm reliably persuaded that he'll prove a useful addition to the squad. Palsson looks the finished article already - how did we get him, and how do we keep him beyond next season? Scott looks busy, committed and intelligent - there's a real point to his aggression and energy and it can only be a matter of time before he scores.

Sodje may not be a Lawrie Reilly or a Joe Baker, but he's big, he's strong, he can hold the ball up until support arrives, and he takes a huge amount of pressure off the midfield, which in turn tales pressure off the defence, and he has a good touch for a big guy. And he doesn't seem to be the sort of bloke who'll mess things up by losing his temper.

I think that right now it comes down to either Stack or Sodje, and since Stack isn't a new face, more a welcome old face back in the side, I'd agree with your friend, Dave - Sodje it is.

But in the long run, I think we may have seen something really special powering down our left wing these past few weeks. That boy Booth's growing in wsidom and confidence by the minute. Young Paul Hanlon ain't doing so badly either.

hibbie02
27-02-2011, 09:03 PM
If Palsson is the new Matty Jack and Jimmy Scott is real deal in the De Graaf box to box role (oh how I still laugh at that one....), who is Sodje the new version of? :greengrin

Franck Stanton
28-02-2011, 12:31 AM
The immense contribution of 'Jimmy' Scott cannot be underestimated.

But personally I'm delighted that it's so hard to judge which one player has made the most difference. Each of the new faces has played a significant role in turning around the form of this team.

Keep it going for Tuesday night, lads.

:flag:

:agree:

jacomo
28-02-2011, 03:33 PM

It's nice to have a manager who understands how to set a team up with a good balance.

JimBHibees
28-02-2011, 03:47 PM

Got to be said still to be convinced by Scott not been overly impressed by his touch or awareness at times. He puts himself about but IMO needs to improve a bit.

Personally think Stack's re-emergence has been a massive boost to the team given his confidence and frankly superb kicking.