PDA

View Full Version : Can we make the top 6?

ScottB
26-02-2011, 06:46 PM
So, we are on something of a run here! Can we do it though?

We have a run of 3 away fixtures coming up now, at Hamilton, St Johnstone and Celtic, then the Derby at home before a trip to Aberdeen and ending before the split at home to Hamilton.

How many points can we get from that and how many are we likely to need for the top 6? I reckon we will probably need 3 or 4 wins from that to be in with a shout, trying to take maximum points from Hamilton, St Johnstone and Aberdeen will be important, and hopefully a win over the Jambos to toast too...

col02
26-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I think we will just come up short sadly. Might not be the worst thing though as CC can try one or two younger guys safe in the knowledge we are not going to be relegated. That said with the ethos installed in this team now who knows!

fife hfc
26-02-2011, 06:55 PM
I think we will just come up short sadly. Might not be the worst thing though as CC can try one or two younger guys safe in the knowledge we are not going to be relegated. That said with the ethos installed in this team now who knows!

Exactly what I am thinking and part of me thinks if we can maybe give Welsh and Byrne a run out to see if they can contribute would not be a bad thing.

Billy Whizz
26-02-2011, 06:56 PM

We have a run of 3 away fixtures coming up now, at Hamilton, St Johnstone and Celtic, then the Derby at home before a trip to Aberdeen and ending before the split at home to Hamilton.

How many points can we get from that and how many are we likely to need for the top 6? I reckon we will probably need 3 or 4 wins from that to be in with a shout, trying to take maximum points from Hamilton, St Johnstone and Aberdeen will be important, and hopefully a win over the Jambos to toast too...

I think we need to win 5 out of the last 6 to do this. Remember the teams from 4th to 7th have to play each other. Dundee Utd will get into the top 6 so we are looking at Inverness/Motherwell to fall out for Hibs to get in!
Never say never but need 6 points from Hamilton and St Johnstone this week to give us any chance.

Sir David Gray
26-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I said a few weeks ago that we would probably need about 6 wins from our remaining pre-split games to stand a chance of making the top six.

I think that was after our win at home to St Mirren so we've obviously won 3 games since then and I still think that we'll need another 3 wins, maybe even 4, from our remaining 6 matches before the split takes place.

We have 4 away games out of those 6 and one of our two home games is against Hearts so it will not be easy.

We have two games against Hamilton, which we should be looking to win, and the matches at St Johnstone and Aberdeen will also be vital since they are both currently above us in the league.

If we can win our next two games, against Hamilton and St Johnstone, then I will start to believe that we may have a chance of doing it but people have to remember that although we've just won our fourth game in a row, we still sit 10th in the table and are five points off a top six place.

We are still the lowest placed team out of all the sides who will fancy their chances of making the top six so we remain the outsiders.

Jim44
26-02-2011, 07:12 PM
I think we've left it a wee bit too late but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. A few games against bottom six teams to possibly end the season on a winning run could work wonders for our confidence next season. I honestly think we would struggle to do well against the other top six teams and that could be counter productive in terms of our campaign next season.

ScottB
26-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I said a few weeks ago that we would probably need about 6 wins from our remaining pre-split games to stand a chance of making the top six.

I think that was after our win at home to St Mirren so we've obviously won 3 games since then and I still think that we'll need another 3 wins, maybe even 4, from our remaining 6 matches before the split takes place.

We have 4 away games out of those 6 and one of our two home games is against Hearts so it will not be easy.

We have two games against Hamilton, which we should be looking to win, and the matches at St Johnstone and Aberdeen will also be vital since they are both currently above us in the league.

If we can win our next two games, against Hamilton and St Johnstone, then I will start to believe that we may have a chance of doing it but people have to remember that although we've just won our fourth game in a row, we still sit 10th in the table and are five points off a top six place.

We are still the lowest placed team out of all the sides who will fancy their chances of making the top six so we remain the outsiders.

Very true, but crucially we are the form team and also importantly, we have nothing to lose.

I certainly expect ICT will slide out the top 6, and Motherwell are only a point better off than them. Dundee United are the problem, but scraping a draw today with Hamilton would suggest they aren't exactly in a purple patch.

I'm not sure we will do it, but I reckon we'll give it a good go.

Sir David Gray
26-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Very true, but crucially we are the form team and also importantly, we have nothing to lose.

I certainly expect ICT will slide out the top 6, and Motherwell are only a point better off than them. Dundee United are the problem, but scraping a draw today with Hamilton would suggest they aren't exactly in a purple patch.

I'm not sure we will do it, but I reckon we'll give it a good go.

I would say that Kilmarnock are now pretty safe in terms of making the top six so that means there are six sides fighting it out for two places.

I think if we look at all the sides who are involved in the battle to make the top six, there are positives for us;

Motherwell-Haven't done too well since Craig Brown left and Stuart McCall took over, losing their last match at home to St Mirren.

Points in last six league matches-6/18

Remaining fixtures-3 home/3 away

Inverness-Only won once in the SPL since November and look increasingly likely to drop out of the top six.

Points in last six league matches-5/18

Remaining fixtures-4 home/2 away

Dundee Utd-Have a very tough schedule ahead of them in the next few weeks as they try to make up on all the games that they had postponed earlier in the season. That could take its toll and they are already looking like a team that is struggling. Their star striker, David Goodwillie, has really struggled over the past month or so as he deals with his personal issues.

Remaining fixtures-6 home/3 away

St Johnstone-Really struggling to score goals at the moment and although they haven't lost too many games recently, they're not on the best of runs. Perhaps the signing of Danny Invincibile will add something to them up front. Still have a couple of games in hand over most of the teams around them so they have the opportunity to pull away.

Points in last six league matches-8/18

Remaining fixtures-5 home/3 away

Aberdeen-One of the form sides in the league and they have really turned their season around dramatically, since Craig Brown took over.

Points in last six league matches-10/18

Remaining fixtures-2 home/4 away

Hibernian-Fantastic form shown in February, with four wins out of four. The new players that Colin Calderwood has brought in have really turned things around.

Points in last six league matches-12/18

hfc rd
27-02-2011, 12:09 AM
I would say that Kilmarnock are now pretty safe in terms of making the top six so that means there are six sides fighting it out for two places.

I think if we look at all the sides who are involved in the battle to make the top six, there are positives for us;

Motherwell-Haven't done too well since Craig Brown left and Stuart McCall took over, losing their last match at home to St Mirren.

Remaining fixtures-3 home/3 away

Inverness-Only won once in the SPL since November and look increasingly likely to drop out of the top six.

Points in last six league matches-5/18

Remaining fixtures-4 home/2 away

Dundee Utd-Have a very tough schedule ahead of them in the next few weeks as they try to make up on all the games that they had postponed earlier in the season. That could take its toll and they are already looking like a team that is struggling. Their star striker, David Goodwillie, has really struggled over the past month or so as he deals with his personal issues.

Remaining fixtures-6 home/3 away

St Johnstone-Really struggling to score goals at the moment and although they haven't lost too many games recently, they're not on the best of runs. Perhaps the signing of Danny Invincibile will add something to them up front. Still have a couple of games in hand over most of the teams around them so they have the opportunity to pull away.

Points in last six league matches-8/18

Remaining fixtures-5 home/3 away

Aberdeen-One of the form sides in the league and they have really turned their season around dramatically, since Craig Brown took over.

Points in last six league matches-10/18

Hibernian-Fantastic form shown in February, with four wins out of four. The new players that Colin Calderwood has brought in have really turned things around.

Points in last six league matches-12/18

:agree:. Good post

Hibercelona
27-02-2011, 12:14 AM
I think we could make top 6 no problem. As long as we continue to sing and get right behind the team for the full 90 minutes. Because it really does make a difference.

Onceinawhile
27-02-2011, 12:16 AM
possible, but unlikely. Need a few results to go our way.

It's a shame because that team is a top 6 team.:agree:

iwasthere1972
27-02-2011, 12:28 AM

Would be nice if we could make the top six but I think we will be about three or four points short of what's required.

I won't be too disappointed if we don't as it won't get us into Europe anyway. So long as our form hasn't taken a massive dip and we end up fighting a relegation battle with the Accies or St Mirren, it may be better that we stay in the bottom six as we have a better chance of winning more games and keeping the player's moral up than we do if we take 5th or 6th place. IIRC our record in the final five games after the split when we have been in the top half is not that great.

ScottB
27-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Would be nice if we could make the top six but I think we will be about three or four points short of what's required.

I won't be too disappointed if we don't as it won't get us into Europe anyway. So long as our form hasn't taken a massive dip and we end up fighting a relegation battle with the Accies or St Mirren, it may be better that we stay in the bottom six as we have a better chance of winning more games and keeping the player's moral up than we do if we take 5th or 6th place. IIRC our record in the final five games after the split when we have been in the top half is not that great.

To be fair, our record post New Year has generally been mince! I'd wager our current run is probably the best we've done after Christmas in a long time.

We seem to have a habit that even in good seasons we end up stumbling over the line. Whichever half we end up in I'd be confident of getting our best post split results ever.

gazza88
27-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Definitely.

I tried to get in the library earlier but they were fully booked.

Hibbyradge
27-02-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't think we've got any chance of finishing in the top 6 and frankly, I don't want to.

Let's just consolidate and build confidence by winning 3 more home games against the teams currently around us, instead of getting humped against the OF agsin and Hearts away.

Having said that...:greengrin

matty_f
27-02-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't think we've got any chance of finishing in the top 6 and frankly, I don't want to.

Let's just consolidate and build confidence by winning 3 more home games against the teams currently around us, instead of getting humped against the OF agsin and Hearts away.

I don't think there are enough games left for us to get top 6, but I'd love us todo it.

matty_f
27-02-2011, 08:36 AM

I don't think there are enough games left for us to get top 6, but I'd love us to do it.

Financially, it makes a big difference and that could give cc more spending power in the summer. Plus, for a club of our size and status, we need to be a team that consistently finishes in the top 6.

And it would get it right up the ****s that were sending out relegation party invitations.

carnoustiehibee
27-02-2011, 08:36 AM
i hope so, ive got 20quid on at 80/1 :flag::flag::flag:

Woody1985
27-02-2011, 08:41 AM
I don't think there are enough games left for us to get top 6, but I'd love us to do it.

Financially, it makes a big difference and that could give cc more spending power in the summer. Plus, for a club of our size and status, we need to be a team that consistently finishes in the top 6.

And it would get it right up the ****s that were sending out relegation party invitations.

:agree:

James70
27-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Although we are on a fantastic run just now, three of our four wins were at home and we only won our away game with a very late goal.

Given the fact we have twice as many away games as home games to come before the split and there are games against Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen, I would say it is very unlikely we will make the top six.

Craig Brown has already discounted Aberdeen's chances of the top tier and they are in a better position than us.

Once we are mathematically safe CC can give more youngsters their big chance and hopefully a strong finish to the season, albeit in the bottom six, will boost confidence for next season.

We cannot afford to be in a similar position at this time next year with league reconstruction on the way.

Barney McGrew
27-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Craig Brown has already discounted Aberdeen's chances of the top tier and they are in a better position than us.

Their remaining games are honking though - St Johnstone, Dundee Utd, Mothwerwell and St Mirren all away are their next four fixtures. Their two home games are us and the Huns.

They've easily got the hardest run of games out all of those who could possibly finish top six.

hibeedonald
27-02-2011, 09:32 AM
i hope so, ive got 20quid on at 80/1 :flag::flag::flag:

thats unreal, i wish i had taken some of that

Golden Bear
27-02-2011, 09:48 AM
A top 6 place is possible but improbable.

I just wish the January transfer window had taken place in November.

:wink:

Kevvy1875
27-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Top 6? Improbable with so many teams in the mix.

I think its important we try everything to get there though. In terms of ticket sales for the last few home games. Could make the difference with a player signing or not.......the extra finance is not to be underestimated.

However....I would have bitten the hand of to finish 1 point above the relegated team about 1 month ago so relatively happy just to be away from that nightmare at the moment.

basehibby
27-02-2011, 12:18 PM
It's still possible to make the top 6 but I'd be pretty gobsmacked if we did.

I think we'd need a minimum of 13 points from our last 6 games so we'd have to see 4 wins and a draw from visits to Hamilton, Celtic, St Johnstone and Aberdeen along with home games vs Hamilton and the Yams.

11 points out of that lot would normally be considered a decent return so it's possible yes but unfortunately not probable.

hibiedude
27-02-2011, 12:41 PM

I suggested this a while ago and got hammered on this site for saying it out loud.

Again I will say its possible because we are playing some good football and confidance is high but we are still some way off from the Hibs we all know and love.