PDA

View Full Version : Graham Stack

Winston Ingram
26-02-2011, 07:00 PM
He's been excellent since he's come back. Pulled off a match winning save late on v Killie and pulled off 2 great saves from Rooney today as well as a fantastic Superman impression.

I thought Mark Brown was unlucky to be dropped but Stack is clearly the better keeper:agree:

cocopops1875
26-02-2011, 07:22 PM
as i said on the other thread best keeper we have by miles , good at stopping shots but the real thing is his kicking it never goes out the pitch always steady. I would love to think thats him fit and will stay that way :hibees

Pretty Boy
26-02-2011, 07:30 PM
as i said on the other thread best keeper we have by miles , good at stopping shots but the real thing is his kicking it never goes out the pitch always steady. I would love to think thats him fit and will stay that way :hibees

If he can prove his fitness he must get a new contract and be our number 1 next season.

Big character, big performances since he came back in and the players look far calmer with him in there.

hibsbollah
26-02-2011, 07:31 PM
I like Mark Brown but I have to admit Stack deserves the gloves for the foreseeable future. He dominates the box:agree:

OtterHibee
26-02-2011, 09:15 PM
I have been critical of Stack in the past in relation to several aspects of his game and was completely against the decision to drop Brown, however since returning to the team he's been outstanding.

Bar one solitary daft moment in the St Mirren game at home, he has never looked remotely like conceding at any point from open play despite mistakes in front of him. His shot stopping has been top drawer and on the evidence of the past few games, his kicking and communication with the defence have also been vastly superior to Brown's, latterly at least. The defence certainly look far more at ease with him behind them than with either of the other two who have featured this season, confidence which also appears to be radiating onto the support.

If he can keep it up - and stay fit - there should really be no grounds not to offer an extension to his contract.

matty_f
26-02-2011, 09:26 PM
I know for a fact Hibs Spain had a great view of Stack's second half performance today, and I am waiting patiently for him to finally and publicly accept that Stack is a bloody good keeper.

He was great today (Stack, that is:greengrin), you can see what a difference he's made to the team. Should really have been celebrating his fourth successive clean sheet, and would have been had it not been for the ref giving Killie a penalty that never was.

BEEJ
27-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Hope Stack keeps the gloves - he's earned it by his performances this month.

What worries me is the sight of Smith on the bench. Stack's bulging disc pops out again and we'll have Calamity Jane back in goals. :no way:

--------
27-02-2011, 12:09 AM

What worries me is the sight of Smith on the bench. Stack's bulging disc pops out again and we'll have Calamity Jane back in goals. :no way:

:agree:

Diclonius
27-02-2011, 12:33 AM

I'm sure Divis will step in, it is after all what we bought him for. :greengrin

Kevvy1875
27-02-2011, 12:43 AM
360 minutes of football with no goal conceded from open play(1 goal V Killie:pen).

Any goalie would be chuffed with that and their confidence would be sky high. Stack looks confident at the moment....this looks like it rubs of on his back 4.

Hopefully he keeps the form up:thumbsup:

CraigK
27-02-2011, 02:02 AM
I have to say that i stand corrected about Stack. Didn't rate him at all, but since he's came back into the side, he's definitely played his way into a new deal, imho.

Franck is God
27-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I have also been a critic of Stack and particularly his unwillingness to step off his line to control the six yard box however in the last few games that is actually where he has impressed me the most.

In his four games his handling has been superb as has been his positioning and shot stopping. He clearly has a good relationship with his defence too and considering their lack of experience of playing together that kind of thing cannot be ignored.

Before this series of games I wouldn't even have had him as my second choice keeper but if he continues to show this kind of form I will gladly eat humble pie and admit I was very wrong.

Keep it up Stacky!

bingo70
27-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I have also been a critic of Stack and particularly his unwillingness to step off his line to control the six yard box however in the last few games that is actually where he has impressed me the most.

In his four games his handling has been superb as has been his positioning and shot stopping. He clearly has a good relationship with his defence too and considering their lack of experience of playing together that kind of thing cannot be ignored.

Before this series of games I wouldn't even have had him as my second choice keeper but if he continues to show this kind of form I will gladly eat humble pie and admit I was very wrong.

Keep it up Stacky!

complete myth IMO.

think this started when people were trying to defend Maka and it's stuck, don't see any evidence of this theory he doesn't leave his line whenever he plays

BEEJ
27-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm sure Divis will step in, it is after all what we bought him for. :greengrin
Not featured in team selection yet, though. And Brown has mysteriously disappeared from view.

Think I'd have even preferred young Flynn on the bench, but he's away on loan.

matty_f
27-02-2011, 11:00 AM
complete myth IMO.

think this started when people were trying to defend Maka and it's stuck, don't see any evidence of this theory he doesn't leave his line whenever he plays

:agree:

TornadoHibby
27-02-2011, 11:05 AM
I have been critical of Stack in the past in relation to several aspects of his game and was completely against the decision to drop Brown, however since returning to the team he's been outstanding.

Bar one solitary daft moment in the St Mirren game at home, he has never looked remotely like conceding at any point from open play despite mistakes in front of him. His shot stopping has been top drawer and on the evidence of the past few games, his kicking and communication with the defence have also been vastly superior to Brown's, latterly at least. The defence certainly look far more at ease with him behind them than with either of the other two who have featured this season, confidence which also appears to be radiating onto the support.

If he can keep it up - and stay fit - there should really be no grounds not to offer an extension to his contract.

I too was never a fan of Stack's principally due to his unwillingness to come off his line to deal with cross balls or balls dropping short of the goal line which he could probably take easier than an outfield player but the last four games have opened up a new approach from him which I really like! :agree:

Now, we have a keeper who is a good shot stopper, is a decent kicker of a dead ball and from his hands AND takes the pressure off the team by dealing with cross balls when he can whether they are near the goal line or near the edge of the 18 yd line if he can deal with them better than an outfield player as he did yesterday with the "faster than a speeding bullet" fist first dive through a ruck of players to punch the ball clear of our area! :wink:

I'm a Stack fan right now and, if he keeps this run of form and playing style up going forward, will remain so! :agree:

Franck is God
27-02-2011, 11:06 AM
complete myth IMO.

It wasn't a myth, I saw it with my own eyes a lot. Yesterday he made an amazing diving punch almost on his own penalty spot to clear a very dangerous situation, this time last season he would not have done that.

It's not a big deal and actually something that many traditional English keepers struggle with when they come to Scotland. It was something that Andy Goram had to work on when he came to Hibs, when he first arrived he spent most of his time cemented to his line too. I think particularly in the lower leagues in England clearing the box is the responsibility of the centre half rather than the keeper so their simply not used to doing it.

TornadoHibby
27-02-2011, 11:09 AM
complete myth IMO.

Erm, no it wasn't! I genuinely believed at that time that this was a weakness in his game whch left our goal vulnerable and was as evident as early in his Hibs career as in the Celtic home game at the start of last season at ER! :agree:

However, as I have already posted earlier, he has now shown that he will come for crosses and this makes a huge difference to his game IMO and, whilst I was doubtful about him as the Hibs keeper, I am more heartened that if he continues to play as he has in the last four games then we have a decent keeper in charge of our penalty box! :wink:

snooky
27-02-2011, 11:12 AM
It wasn't a myth, I saw it with my own eyes a lot. Yesterday he made an amazing diving punch almost on his own penalty spot to clear a very dangerous situation, this time last season he would not have done that.

It's not a big deal and actually something that many traditional English keepers struggle with when they come to Scotland. It was something that Andy Goram had to work on when he came to Hibs, when he first arrived he spent most of his time cemented to his line too. I think particularly in the lower leagues in England clearing the box is the responsibility of the centre half rather than the keeper so their simply not used to doing it.

Not only was it amazing, it was brave. A couple of times yesterday GS put his body forward for sacrifice. (Unlike some previous keepers and players who wouldn't do anything that would knock their shed out).

Smoke Stack Lightnin' :thumbsup:

The Falcon
27-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Makes you wonder what intructions the manager had given him :whistle:

TornadoHibby
27-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Makes you wonder what intructions the manager had given him :whistle:

Take control of the penalty area and, if you can get to the ball and clear it, *****ing well get there and make sure nobody gets in your way to the ball! :wink: :greengrin

bingo70
27-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Erm, no it wasn't! I genuinely believed at that time that this was a weakness in his game whch left our goal vulnerable and was as evident as early in his Hibs career as in the Celtic home game at the start of last season at ER! :agree:

However, as I have already posted earlier, he has now shown that he will come for crosses and this makes a huge difference to his game IMO and, whilst I was doubtful about him as the Hibs keeper, I am more heartened that if he continues to play as he has in the last four games then we have a decent keeper in charge of our penalty box! :wink:

aye well, yer both wrong :na na:

TornadoHibby
27-02-2011, 11:28 AM
aye well, yer both wrong :na na:

You're just jealous cause the little voices are talking to us! :wink: :na na:

Different opinions based upon the same facts mate mean someone might be wrong but it doesn't mean you are correct! :wink:

The good thing is that he's not doing it at the moment and we all seem to agree that he's the best Hibs keeper at the moment! :agree:

That's the main thing IMO! :wink:

The Falcon
27-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Take control of the penalty area and, if you can get to the ball and clear it, *****ing well get there and make sure nobody gets in your way to the ball! :wink: :greengrin

I maybe should have said "previous manager". What you posted are, obviously, the instructions he is now operating under. :greengrin

bingo70
27-02-2011, 11:34 AM
You're just jealous cause the little voices are talking to us! :wink: :na na:

Different opinions based upon the same facts mate mean someone might be wrong but it doesn't mean you are correct! :wink:

The good thing is that he's not doing it at the moment and we all seem to agree that he's the best Hibs keeper at the moment! :agree:

That's the main thing IMO! :wink:

correct, think we can all agree that he's doing well just now and that it was the right decision to bin makalambay in favour of keeping him :agree:

:devil:

TornadoHibby
27-02-2011, 11:39 AM
correct, think we can all agree that he's doing well just now and that it was the right decision to bin makalambay in favour of keeping him :agree:

:devil:

No, I wouldn't agree with that but I try to move on in life with what is happening now! :wink:

You can change and enjoy the present and future but you can't change the past no matter how many times you discuss it! :agree: :greengrin

As the title of this tune from this up & coming Edinburgh band, currently touring the USA (Minneapolis tonight I think :wink: ) and going down a storm by all accounts, points out "If The News Makes You Sad, Don't Watch It!" Have a wee listen to it and go see them when they get back to Edinburgh mid March! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECfQkgvuzbU&feature=related

PeterboroHibee
27-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Ive always liked Stack, good keeper and a bit nuts as well which is always a great mix for a keeper. His previous problems with fitness are still a bit of a concern, we dont know when/if he will pick up the same injuries, but at the moment its good to have a solid keeper and a settled back 4. Id imagine he will be offered a contract before the end of the season if he keeps up these performances, so lets hope he can keep it up!

Like others have mentioned, dont see why Divis isnt at least sub as really dont have any faith in Smith.

Dirkster23
27-02-2011, 12:35 PM
complete myth IMO.

Did Yogi not state that he wanted his keepers to stay on their line and let the defenders clear the crosses? I could be wrong, but i've got it in my mind he came out with that at some point :confused:

BoltonHibee
27-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Did Yogi not state that he wanted his keepers to stay on their line and let the defenders clear the crosses? I could be wrong, but i've got it in my mind he came out with that at some point :confused:

I doubt it. NO manager would say such a thing.

basehibby
27-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Even though he otherwise looked steady, Stack's kicking was dreadful last season and I remember it contributing to goals conceded.

But I think that was a symptom of his back injury. Now he's recovered his kicking seems to be very good.

Excellent overall performance over the last 4 games - well done Stacky :thumbsup:

cocopops1875
27-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Even though he otherwise looked steady, Stack's kicking was dreadful last season and I remember it contributing to goals conceded.
But I think that was a symptom of his back injury. Now he's recovered his kicking seems to be very good.

Excellent overall performance over the last 4 games - well done Stacky :thumbsup:

Or do you maybe think that was down to the state of the pitch ? Also dont recall it leading to any goals could be wrong tho

Dirkster23
27-02-2011, 02:00 PM

I'm pretty sure he did, mind thinking at the time it was strange, even for Yogi.

Franck Stanton
27-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Nail,hit,head. Well said that man :agree:

--------
27-02-2011, 02:30 PM

I think this should read "no SANE manager would say such a thing".

But then, we're talking about John Hughes here, and Hughes came out with a lot of stuff no SANE manager would come out with.

FWIW, there was a time when it was almost an unwritten law that the goalkeeper ruled the penalty area. This was because he alone could see everything that was going on in front of him and could organise the defence as a whole and individual defenders in particular more effectively than anyone else. Other defenders could be blind-sided by attackers; the goalkeeper alone can see the whole width of the pitch and where all the attacking players are.

One thing that concerned me about Jones and Hogg (Jones particularly) was that they tended to play without reference to the keeper. In fact, there was a point towards the end of Mixu's reign when Jones seemed to be intent on playing right on the goalkeeper's toes, impeding him and discouraging him from coming off his line at all. He did this to both Maka and the Monk (I remember Monk roaring at him in one game, and things improved a bit after that) and I reckon it was an unwelcome legacy of his origins in the lower divisions of English football. Hogg also had a nasty habit when under pressure of firing the ball back towards the keeper without really making certain of where the keeper was and whether he was in a safe situation to receive the ball at all.

Either of those guys doing this to Stack might very well find themselves having the facts of life forcefully explained to them in the dressing-room after the game, or at East Mains during the week following the game in question - and IMO rightly so.

Stack seems to be a keeper who can direct and organise his defence, and Dickoh and Hanlon seem to be defenders who are prepared to listen to their keeper. This is called 'organisation', and is a Good Thing.

One thing about Graeme Smith is that he doesn't seem to do this. This is a Bad Thing, and PLEASE, CC - bring in young Divis or get Mark Brown back onto the bench for the rest of the season? PLEASE?

TornadoHibby
27-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Alex McLeish did to Nick Colgan according to a back room staff member at that time! :agree:

Yogi played in that team too IIRC! :wink: :hmmm: :dunno: :greengrin

lapsedhibee
27-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Not only was it amazing, it was brave. A couple of times yesterday GS put his body forward for sacrifice. (Unlike some previous keepers and players who wouldn't do anything that would knock their shed out).

Stacka not the best keeper I've seen for Hibs, but I can't remember a braver one.