Riordans Boots
26-02-2011, 06:31 PM
For the doubters sitting around me today when he came on :na na:

Well done Lewis :thumbsup: :flag:

Winston Ingram
26-02-2011, 06:56 PM
For the doubters sitting around me today when he came on :na na:

Well done Lewis :thumbsup: :flag:

I can't understand why people don't rate him. Technically he's very good and has got a bit of dig about him. I'd be gutted if he didn't get a new deal

snooky
26-02-2011, 06:59 PM
I can't understand why people don't rate him. Technically he's very good and has got a bit of dig about him. I'd be gutted if he didn't get a new deal

I agree. I like Lewis. I feel the barren times of Mixu's reign set him back a whack.

Winston Ingram
26-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I agree. I like Lewis. I feel the barren times of Mixu's reign set him back a whack.

Anybody's confidence would suffer if Joe Keenan and John Rankin were picked ahead of them:agree:

col02
26-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Another year would do no harm imho as he is a decent squad player to have and has the dig we need at times to see games out. I like the guy as a player as he is very honest although some may say limited.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-02-2011, 07:26 PM

:agree:

brog
26-02-2011, 08:05 PM
He's certainly stagnated in last year or 2 but his 1st goal for Hibs will hopefully give him increased confidence. He's still young so I hope to see improved form resulting in a new contract.
Well done Lewis!

fife hfc
26-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Lewis deserved that goal. I think he would get better playing in this team, than under Mixu and Yogi (who I have been told did not like Lewis). He does not resort to humping the ball forward and always tries to get the ball down and play. We need a squad of players and though maybe not a first choice he would be an able back up player.

hfc rd
27-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Lewis did well when he came on. Also great to see him score his first ever Hibs goal.

Saorsa
27-02-2011, 05:41 AM
I'd keep him, I'm not sure if he'd be a starter but he's still young and has time on his side and cannae ever be faulted for effort, I'd be disappointed if we let him go and he wisnae given a bit longer.

sunshine1875
27-02-2011, 08:06 AM
I would keep him. He is not going to be a first pick, but is cover for the left side of defence / midfield, though I wonder if central midfield could be his long term position.

He likes a tackle for someone so small - I loved the one on the Hertz player a couple of seasons ago at Easter Road. I can't remember which player but Stevenson cleanly won the ball first, then the player second.:greengrin

random sub
27-02-2011, 08:37 AM
I like him as he plays with his heart on his sleeve.

Still, I wouldn't be giving him a new contract. Midfield has been a problem for the last three or four years so, for me, onwards for a type new midfield.

PeterboroHibee
27-02-2011, 10:04 AM
If he can prove between now and the end of the season he has a role in the team then I would be offering him a contract, but at the moment I dont think hes anything special. Pleased for him that he got his first goal for the club but doesnt really change the opinion I have.

Dont get me wrong, Id like him to succeed, he looked like he had so much potential at one point, another player we brought through, but its just never really come to anything. I suppose he is still young so it might be worth giving him a year extension, wouldnt offer him any more than that though.

Stantons Angel
27-02-2011, 10:17 AM
just like the initial poster the doubters were around me too. When he came on there was no fuss just a young lad trying to do his job to his best ability. It worked too!!! He deserved the goal too after all the hard work he has put into his game.

The last few seasons of unrest at Hibs have seen him be overlooked for less talented players on much higher wages. Have we seen him wining away to the media that he wants a new contract? Has he spoken out at team tactics? NO he has gotten on with his game and tried hard to get the manager to notice his ability.

I do hope for his sake and for the teams he gets another contract deal. As another poster says, he is young and with more game time im sure we would see the best of him, thats yet to come.

Well done on the goal lewis and keep on showing those who doubt you what you can do.

Shrekko
27-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I'd give him a contract, quite simply because he has enough in his locker to be a good SPL player- but this is last chance saloon. He got a 5 year contract and still hasn't cemented his place in the team.

I've been a harsh critic of Lewis on this forum and taken a bit of stick for it myself, but it's only because I saw a guy not doing enough to push himself on with the ability he has. Folk should stop making up all these silly excuses for his lack of development- perhaps the fact he is so mollycoddled is why he's not had to push himself? Folk still talk about him as 'a laddie' when he's got plenty of experience.

I've been very impressed with his last few performances and hopefully the penny has dropped- he's using his pace, getting forward, making positive passes instead of backward ones etc. Keep it up!!

Franck is God
27-02-2011, 10:56 AM
I've always liked Lewis too and he made a really positive impact when he came on to the pitch yesterday.

Considering also that it was Miller he replaced after he picked up a knock who was having a good game the fact that he turned to Stevenson must mean that CC rates him quite highly and he will not have been disappointed with his contribution.

He is still a relatively young player with a lot of ability who was messed about by Mixu & Yogi, neither of whom allowed him to progress in his best position and used him mainly as a fill in at LB.

CC seems to have given him back his confidence, drive and determination and most importantly made him feel part of the team which really showed when he came on.

Iggy Pope
27-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Lewis did well when he came on. Also great to see him score his first ever Hibs goal.

Apart from that belter v QoS pre-season
:wink:

I like wee Lewis and agree with the other posters that he is an asset to the squad.

Great wee fellah too. Sat in his company when he won the club YPOTY and he is a wee gent.

J-C
27-02-2011, 12:01 PM
He was starting to show why he deserves a new contract with a couple of performances he had before his last injury, he was one of very few showing the necessary fight that CC was looking for, he may prosper under CC as he has a good record working with youngsters.

Sammy7nil
27-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Lewis deserves a new deal he is a good squad player.

Lewis is also Hibs longest serving player

HibbyAndy
28-02-2011, 12:22 AM
I'd keep him, I'm not sure if he'd be a starter but he's still young and has time on his side and cannae ever be faulted for effort, I'd be disappointed if we let him go and he wisnae given a bit longer.

Be delighted if wee Lewy signed on for another year or two.

Riordans Boots
28-02-2011, 12:26 AM

Be delighted if wee Lewy signed on for another year or two.

sesoim
28-02-2011, 02:04 AM

I'd rather put his (and a few other outgoing players wages) towards signing a couple of better quality players. I've always felt he is overrated by some fans. I don't rate him because, pure and simply, he doesn't contribute enough. There is nothing he is particularly good at, and he hasn't progressed in four years either. He passes the buck too often in games.

It's easy to suddenly get carried away because we are winning again, but people should remember Stevenson has contributed very little over the years, especially during the harder times when we really needed players to take more responsibility. Like a few other players on their way out, he often went missing when we need him most. The odd crunching tackle and a solitary goal seems to be enough for some fans to want to keep him. They don't influence me, and I doubt they will influence CC either.

fife hfc
28-02-2011, 06:12 AM
I disagree with your comments. He has failed to get a chance and Yogi told him he didn't rate him and he would not get a game. Under such circumstances how is he meant to develop and show his worth. In the games he has played under CC I think he has improved and contributed and we need squad players and he fits the bill.

scoopyboy
28-02-2011, 06:52 AM
I disagree with your comments. He has failed to get a chance and Yogi told him he didn't rate him and he would not get a game. Under such circumstances how is he meant to develop and show his worth. In the games he has played under CC I think he has improved and contributed and we need squad players and he fits the bill.

He got games when Yogi was manager.

104 games he has played for us so someone has been picking him and for me he still is unproven.

I wouldn't grudge him a 1 year deal but I don't see him becoming a first pick which makes me wonder if its worth just letting him go and using his wage along with the wages of Thicot, McCann, McBride, Rankin, Nish, Trakys,Smith etc to bring in guys who would be first picks.

Shrekko
28-02-2011, 09:32 AM

104 games he has played for us so someone has been picking him and for me he still is unproven.

I wouldn't grudge him a 1 year deal but I don't see him becoming a first pick which makes me wonder if its worth just letting him go and using his wage along with the wages of Thicot, McCann, McBride, Rankin, Nish, Trakys,Smith etc to bring in guys who would be first picks.

One year deal seems logical, as Lewis probably has a bit more about him than the others you mention.

Folk saying that Yogi and Mixu are to blame for his development are talking nonsense IMO- he's had plenty games and chances. Until recently he has just simply played within himself and not done enough. He showed when he was 19 that he was able to play a positive role, yet every time he came in it was just safety first backwards passing.

I'm guessing that the closer it gets to the end of his lengthy contract, the more he realises that he's getting closer to the crossroads and hopefully wants a decent career at Hibs more than a demoralising slide down the football ladder.

jdships
28-02-2011, 09:43 AM

One year deal seems logical, as Lewis probably has a bit more about him than the others you mention.

Folk saying that Yogi and Mixu are to blame for his development are talking nonsense IMO- he's had plenty games and chances. Until recently he has just simply played within himself and not done enough. He showed when he was 19 that he was able to play a positive role, yet every time he came in it was just safety first backwards passing.

I'm guessing that the closer it gets to the end of his lengthy contract, the more he realises that he's getting closer to the crossroads and hopefully wants a decent career at Hibs more than a demoralising slide down the football ladder.

Why be so patronising to the lad ?
Do you honestly think that is how professional footballers minds work ?
If you do I suggest you should get out more
You come across as yet another Premier League manager in waiting - hope you get the job you are looking for ! :greengrin

:rolleyes:

Makaveli
28-02-2011, 09:48 AM
He may not be an automatic starter, but are we planning on going into next season with 11 "better quality" players and no squad players? I'd imagine Stevenson is as good a squad player as we'll get for the money, plus he already knows the club and the players/manager so there's no settling in period as there may be for a replacement.

Much like Ian Murray for me - more than capable in a few positions even if not a first choice in any. Defo worth keeping around.

jdships
28-02-2011, 09:50 AM
He may not be an automatic starter, but are we planning on going into next season with 11 "better quality" players and no squad players? I'd imagine Stevenson is as good a squad player as we'll get for the money, plus he already knows the club and the players/manager so there's no settling in period as there may be for a replacement.

Much like Ian Murray for me - more than capable in a few positions even if not a first choice in any. Defo worth keeping around.

Good post !!
That makes sense to me on both players :thumbsup:

Shrekko
28-02-2011, 10:15 AM
You come across as yet another Premier League manager in waiting - hope you get the job you are looking for ! :greengrin

You really are a one trick pony aren't you? Do you never get tired of branding people wannabe managers when their opinion about a player differs from yours? Personally I think you're an old 'know it all' because you briefly played pro about a hundred years ago. How do you like that?

There's nothing whatsoever patronising about my post. Why don't you say the same to all the posters who refer to him as 'the laddie' or 'wee Lewis'? Perhaps (as usual) it's because their opinions concur with yours?

Stevenson has played much better recently. If you think it has nothing to do with his about to expire contract then you must be incredibly naive. He looks good when he breaks into the team, does very little for 2/3 years and is now producing some good form. Nothing patronising- just AN OPINION. One that goes against yours (obviously) but one I'm entitled to on a football forum where you don't actually need qualifications to post as far as I know.

Shrekko
28-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Good post !!
That makes sense to me on both players :thumbsup:

'good post!!' :thumbsup: <<< how patronising

Not a wannabe manager for having the cheek to make honest assessments on TWO players then?

Oh sorry- asessments that you agree with...

jdships
28-02-2011, 10:27 AM
'good post!!' :thumbsup: <<< how patronising

Not a wannabe manager for having the cheek to make honest assessments on TWO players then?

Oh sorry- asessments that you agree with...

Yes I am voicing my opinion just as you claim to be doing - remember :greengrin

lighten up old son it makes life a lot more pleasant :wink:

jdships
28-02-2011, 10:39 AM
You really are a one trick pony aren't you? Do you never get tired of branding people wannabe managers when their opinion about a player differs from yours? Personally I think you're an old 'know it all' because you briefly played pro about a hundred years ago. How do you like that?

There's nothing whatsoever patronising about my post. Why don't you say the same to all the posters who refer to him as 'the laddie' or 'wee Lewis'? Perhaps (as usual) it's because their opinions concur with yours?

Stevenson has played much better recently. If you think it has nothing to do with his about to expire contract then you must be incredibly naive. He looks good when he breaks into the team, does very little for 2/3 years and is now producing some good form. Nothing patronising- just AN OPINION. One that goes against yours (obviously) but one I'm entitled to on a football forum where you don't actually need qualifications to post as far as I know.

Keeping up the good work I see - patronising me now :greengrin:wink:
Ah well I suppose that's one of the perils of growing old when you have perhaps gained a little bit more experience of life than those younger than you .
You are surely a little bit mixed up.
Perhaps if you are lucky enough to survive for three score years and ten you will see life slightly differently .
On one hand you don't like people making comments on your opinions and then coime back and criticise my opinions .

Re " Do you never get tired of branding people wannabe managers"
If you take time to read my posts you will notice everyone of them has :greengrin:wink: in them - it's called banter

Come into the real world of forums it's good fun.

Anyway let's just call a "no scoring draw " and move on

:flag::devil:

Shrekko
28-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Yes I am voicing my opinion just as you claim to be doing - remember :greengrin

lighten up old son it makes life a lot more pleasant :wink:

Difference between me and you 'old son' is that I can let folk have an opinion without telling them to 'get out more' or that they think they are a football manager. Absolutely ridiculous.

Easy to now be light hearted when you know you've been out of order.

You want me to lighten up?- then don't accuse me of being patronising when I'm not.

edit: you need a dictionary as I don't think you understand what the word patronising means. I'm more than happy for folk to criticise or argue with my opinions- I object to the way you do it.

HNA12
28-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Please cut out the personal stuff.....as entertaining as it may be to the rest of us. :greengrin

Shrekko
28-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Please cut out the personal stuff.....as entertaining as it may be to the rest of us. :greengrin

I disagree... but you're entitled to your opinion... :greengrin

jdships
28-02-2011, 10:52 AM

I have settled for a " no scoring draw " .
That way no one wins no one loses :agree:
:greengrin

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Keep him :agree:

Always works hard and passes the ball really well.

At least a decent player to have come off the bench :agree:

Cropley10
28-02-2011, 12:24 PM

I think he's shown he cares, wants to work hard but for me - more importantly - he's played with energy and directness recently. His first time pass to Palsson on Saturday was an example of what I'm talking about.

I'd like to keep him - he can get better and offers something from the bench, more than any of the others I'd say.

I agree with your list of players who we could move on - if we could use that money to sign Towell I'd be very happy.

Dashing Bob S
28-02-2011, 12:51 PM

Read that first sentence again!

Best ever line on Hibs net. :top marks

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I will be happy with whoever CC wants to keep in and whoever he wants to kick out. I had thought that wee Lewis might have missed the boat as he was always filling in at the back when he best position is midfield. I can't see him getting a regular game however and if that is what he is looking for, then it is maybe in his best interests to move on to another team and be a starter rather than stay and be a squad player. If he left, it would be with no accrimony and a large pat on the back. A lion-hearted player and the size of a chicken at a time when we had too much of the other way around.

Dashing Bob S
28-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Whoops...enjoying this little spat so much, I neglected to make my point, which was: if you watch the Hibernian TV interview it's very plain that Calderwood rates LS very highly in terms of ability and attitude, and on the basis of his comments I'd be surprised if he wasn't offered a new deal.

Now that the culture at ER in terms of attiude, discipline and organisation is starting to resemble athletes at a football club rather than jakeys at a Blackpool stag weekend, one would expect talented young players like Stevenson to flourish.

Shrekko
28-02-2011, 01:01 PM

--------
28-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Whoops...enjoying this little spat so much, I neglected to make my point, which was: if you watch the Hibernian TV interview it's very plain that Calderwood rates LS very highly in terms of ability and attitude, and on the basis of his comments I'd be surprised if he wasn't offered a new deal.

Now that the culture at ER in terms of attiude, discipline and organisation is starting to resemble athletes at a football club rather than jakeys at a Blackpool stag weekend, one would expect talented young players like Stevenson to flourish.

Like Callum Booth, Paul Hanlon, and David Wotherspoon, you mean, Bob?

Totally agree. We now have a more than fair chance of finally seeing the fabled 'conveyor belt of talent' up and running.

I can hardly wait. :agree:

HibbyAndy
28-02-2011, 01:19 PM

I concur very much with this.:agree:

Stevenson has got the talent alright, He showed that in the cup final, I also remember a game at ER against the pub teamers that ended in a 1-1 draw and he was pushed BLATANTLY in the box for a penalty that day which for some bizarre reason wasnt giving, He was simply outstanding that day in Midfield, Bossed the game from start to finish.He's stagnated in the last few years granted, But their is a very good player in there somewhere.

Id be delighted if LS was offered a new contract.

jdships
28-02-2011, 02:23 PM

" I plead the fifth amendment " and rest my case !!!

:greengrin:wink::not worth

GreenCastle
28-02-2011, 03:36 PM

:aok:

He needs games and will keep improving - MOM at the CIS Cup final when we won it remember :greengrin

500miles
28-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Stevenson seems to be playing a role which forces him to take more responsibility going forward, and yet give him greater freedom in doing so.
That goal was coming - the last few games he's played, he's come up with some decent efforts. For me, I'd rather see him get a new contract than Liam Miller.

Jonnyboy
28-02-2011, 10:56 PM

As did John Collins Bob. But hey, what would we know :greengrin

snooky
28-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I will be happy with whoever CC wants to keep in and whoever he wants to kick out. I had thought that wee Lewis might have missed the boat as he was always filling in at the back when he best position is midfield. I can't see him getting a regular game however and if that is what he is looking for, then it is maybe in his best interests to move on to another team and be a starter rather than stay and be a squad player. If he left, it would be with no accrimony and a large pat on the back. A lion-hearted player and the size of a chicken at a time when we had too much of the other way around.

:agree: ... and they all looked plucked.