PDA

View Full Version : Just how good is Callum Booth? (merged)

Westie1875
26-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Cracking goal, that is all :flag: :hibees

whiskyhibby
26-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Rightly MOM today although Dickoh was excellent

:flag::flag:

Hibeesb0unc3
26-02-2011, 06:30 PM
thought he played well today, good goal, was good on the ball and good at getting forward

FromTheCapital
26-02-2011, 06:32 PM
4 outstanding performances today...

Stack - Probably would've got MOM on another day...
Dickoh - Same
Miller - Same

BUT Booth was absolutely magnificent, :top marks for me...

:cgwa :cgwa :cgwa

hibsbollah
26-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Reminds me of Murphy. May sound over the top to some but he's got everything you'd want in a full back.

sleeping giant
26-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Knew it was going in as soon as it left his boot:thumbsup:
I had a cracking view. I love my seat :greengrin

Great goal.

greenlex
26-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Motm even without the goal. Great goal and some good quick thinking ftomRiordam with the throw in.

RickyS
26-02-2011, 06:42 PM
the lad looks a great prospect, he has a great future in the game. no doubt about it. brilliant goal today as well :cgwa

Melvin Hibs
26-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Booth was a stand out today. For someone so young, he is very calm on the ball and his distribution was good and I am sure he is only going to get better under Calderwoods guidance.
:cgwa

truehibernian
26-02-2011, 06:49 PM
4 outstanding performances today...

Stack - Probably would've got MOM on another day...
Dickoh - Same
Miller - Same

BUT Booth was absolutely magnificent, :top marks for me...

:cgwa :cgwa :cgwa

Have to agree with that.

Stack again stood up well and his save second half when the Caley player got in behind was crucial.

Booth's touch, pace and delivery is just magnificent. Just a really good performance again from Callum.

Dickoh won nearly everything that came his way, by head, toe poke, and really put his body about today.

Miller - as we all have said, put someone like Palsson (who was also superb second half) and Scott (good first half) who can break up play, hassle and tackle, Liam will shine.

Terrific game of football, I thought Caley also contributed to a great game, and one of the better 90 minute performances for a long time.

For me (there always has to be a wee negative) I thought Derek's touch has deserted him of late and he was poor again (for his high standards). That said, his shot first half looked goalbound all the way before Esson tipped it over.

ano hibby
26-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Was my mom even without the goal. Very Murphy-like.
Could someone remind me how long a deal he signed?

Winston Ingram
26-02-2011, 06:55 PM
what a player that boy is.

I do wonder if he's going to stay as a defender as he's superb technically and he can certainly shift:agree:

snooky
26-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Motm even without the goal. Great goal and some good quick thinking ftomRiordam with the throw in.

:agree: I thought he was class. His passing was immaculate. He showed pace, skill and great poise. What a wonderful performance today.
Well done laddie. :top marks

Oh, and the icing on the cake - that fantastic goal.

AFKA5814_Hibs
26-02-2011, 06:59 PM

4 years I think.

Sean1875
26-02-2011, 07:15 PM
the fact hes only going to get better is brilliant, absolute gem of a player :agree:

mim
26-02-2011, 07:28 PM
May I just agree that Booth was a standout. :agree:
He would have been my MOM without the goal...and what a strike that was. :wink:

Miller showed why people believed in him in days gone by......perhaps he can build on this performance.

Dickoh and Hanlon were both excellent and Stack was a rock, bailing out Hanlon when he made his one slip.

Palsson and Scott give us a bit of steel in the midfield and Sodje is a good target man, although he's never going to be a striker, is he?

Riordan and Wotherspoon were below par and Towell was fine.

.Sean.
26-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Could someone remind me how long a deal he signed?2014. Gutted I missed his goal.

Dibben
26-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Firs time i've seen him play, he really looked excellent!!!

Great prospect!

HibbyAndy
26-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Well done Lewy tae oan his 1st goal for the club :wink:

Pretty Boy
26-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Great goal and performance today by Booth.

I probably would have given Stack MOM but you really can't grudge Callum getting it after a top performance and his 1st senior goal for the club.

Really hope he continues to develop as we could well have 3 top defenders on our hands with him, Hanlon and Towell (if we can persuade him to stay and the smellie to let him).

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Cracking performance and fantastic goal :thumbsup:

fife hfc
26-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Booth is a standout and you can see why so many raved about him during his u-19 days. I love the fact that he is so composed even under pressure and looks for the pass, rather than hump it up the park. A future Scotland star.

cammy1969
26-02-2011, 08:43 PM
don't want to go to over the top but i think the lad will turn out to be the best player we have produced in the last 10 years he's got the lot, uncle rod will be drooling just thinking about the cash we'll get for him in 7 or 8 years:greengrin well played today son

...WentToMowAnSPL
26-02-2011, 09:52 PM
don't want to go to over the top but i think the lad will turn out to be the best player we have produced in the last 10 years he's got the lot, uncle rod will be drooling just thinking about the cash we'll get for him in 7 or 8 years:greengrin well played today son

Excellent news ! glad you didn't go over the top - as far as I know he has no Brazilian Grandparents - so we'll have to stick with Scotland :-) :flag:

WindyMiller
26-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Just watched his goal on the Fishy site, even better than it looked from the East!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BEEJ
26-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Until June 2015.

A great young player. Delighted that he's finally in the first team.

:flag:

hfc rd
27-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Different class today. What a player!!! He deserved that MoM. Did not put a foot wrong all afternoon.

Onceinawhile
27-02-2011, 12:55 AM
His confidence to take 2,3, or 4 touches is a calming influence on the team. He seems to have an experience that belies his tender years.

He isn't even 10 games into his first team career however so he should be given time to develop, because he will make mistakes.

Very impressed though.:agree:

BroxburnHibee
27-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Had quality written all over him from the first time I seen him play for the 19's.

Something brilliant about seeing a young player come through the ranks and grab his place.

Outstanding again today :thumbsup:

Riordans Boots
27-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Well done Lewy tae oan his 1st goal for the club :wink:

It was a peach as well :agree:

Riordans Boots
27-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Just watched his goal on the Fishy site, even better than it looked from the East!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just watched it again :top marks

hibs0666
28-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Don't get me wrong, Murphy was a smashing player for us. However, Booth is at a different level of ability altogether.

wazoo1875
28-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Have you been on the bevvy ;-)),the laddie has only played a handful of games for us. He is a cracking looking player at such a young age but murphy was young too when he came to us and was very consistent in over a hundred games.

--------
28-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, Murphy was a smashing player for us. However, Booth is at a different level of ability altogether.

:agree:

The players he reminds me of most as a young player coming into the side are Bobby Duncan and John Brownlie.

The only difference is that they were right-sided, Callum is left-sided.

It remains to be seen whether he fulfils his potential, of course, but the fact that Hughes insisted on putting him out on loan TWICE beggars belief.

Especially when we had no other left-back in the squad.

And then he signed Jon Grounds from Boro - on a short-term loan! Who was actually a centre-back.

Hibercelona
28-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Booth looks like a really good player.

But to compare him to Murphy this early on?

Murphy had the touch of god.

--------
28-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Booth looks like a really good player.

But to compare him to Murphy this early on?

And the two guys I mentioned were better than Dave Murphy. Seriously.

But as I say, CB reminds of them as a youngster coming into the team. Whether he'll be as good as they were remains to be seen.

But he made one run up the left early on on Saturday, played the ball inside to Sodjer and went outside the ICT full-back looking for the return. Sodjer played it across to Wotherspoon, I think, but the right pass was the one CB was wanting, the one-two round the back towards the corner for CB to run on to. THAT was one of Onion's moves, 24-carat, no messing. Took me back 40 years.

And the fact that Wotherspoon was also available and got a decent shot on target just makes it all better.

PeeJay
28-02-2011, 03:22 PM
It remains to be seen whether he fulfils his potential, of course, but the fact that Hughes insisted on putting him out on loan TWICE beggars belief.

Fair points, but I do wonder if perhaps lending him out and Booth getting a string of games in under his belt at a lower level, also helped him to develop: would he have been able to develop so well in the first team, I wonder?

Your comparisons with JB and BD are pretty good, by the way.

hibs0666
28-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Have you been on the bevvy ;-)),the laddie has only played a handful of games for us. He is a cracking looking player at such a young age but murphy was young too when he came to us and was very consistent in over a hundred games.

Fundamental difference between the two though - pace. Booth is in a different league.

hibs0666
28-02-2011, 03:26 PM

but no pace whatsoever.

Booth has the lot. :thumbsup:

Edinburgh Green
28-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Fundamental difference between the two though - pace. Booth is in a different league.
Pace, probably but no chance he has a better touch than Murphy, as someone else has said, Murph had the touch of a god!

--------
28-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Fair points, but I do wonder if perhaps lending him out and Booth getting a string of games in under his belt at a lower level, also helped him to develop: would he have been able to develop so well in the first team, I wonder?

Your comparisons with JB and BD are pretty good, by the way.

I have no problem with the first loan spell last season, but I do wonder why Hughes felt it was necessary to loan him out a second time, at the strrt of this season?

But that's water under the bridge.

Just watched the highlights again - right after the passage I mentioned, ICT break down our right and Stack beats away the shot from Rooney. It breaks to CB, who has a man on him. No blooter up the park, no sclaff into Row ZZ - he gathers the ball, beats his man, and plays a measured pass to Palsson to start another Hibs attack. All in the 18-yard box.

If he has a fault, it's that he occasionally gets caught out of position upfield, as at the start of the second half where he put Paul Hanlon in a bit of bother. But even there it was all sorted out with no recriminations by Graham Stack. But playing at FB takes a bit of learning, and the lad has time on his side, I hope.

I KNOW - it's too early to say. But ICT are no mugs, and I think there's just the possibility that we have a real star on our hands.

:thumbsup:

hibs0666
28-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Pace, probably but no chance he has a better touch than Murphy, as someone else has said, Murph had the touch of a god!

Maybe so but Booth has already shown that he can go past opponents for fun, and is already working the full length of the flank like a seasoned pro.

Was great to see Murphy get another medal at the weekend, and I'm convinced that Booth will go onto a even greater things. :thumbsup:

BSEJVT
28-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Thought Booth did very well on Saturday.

I have seldom seen a player as completely on top of his man as he was on Saturday, both defending and especially attacking.

He bit Odihambo(sp) very easily indeed and the only surprise was how long it took ICT to sub him.

--------
Maybe so but Booth has already shown that he can go past opponents for fun, and is already working the full length of the flank like a seasoned pro.

Was great to see Murphy get another medal at the weekend, and I'm convinced that Booth will go onto a even greater things. :thumbsup:

Murphy we should have worked out an offer to keep him at the club long-term and made him club captain. Built the next team around him.

But when we weren't able to choose the right manager three times in a row, we'd hardly have been likely to choose the right captain.

Future17
Murphy was a fantastic player over a sustained period with Hibs.

Booth has fantastic potential and has started really well. We all hope it continues but let's not get carried away.

Let's wait until we've seen him over a season, including several games against Rangers, Celtic and Hearts who will have players that are capable of causing CB problems defensively.

Let's wait until he's had a bad spell and see how he reacts.

But he made one run up the left early on on Saturday, played the ball inside to Sodjer and went outside the ICT full-back looking for the return. Sodjer played it across to Wotherspoon, I think, but the right pass was the one CB was wanting, the one-two round the back towards the corner for CB to run on to. THAT was one of Onion's moves, 24-carat, no messing. Took me back 40 years.

And the fact that Wotherspoon was also available and got a decent shot on target just makes it all better.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think the return ball to Booth was the right option. If we're going to take advantage of Booth and Towell's willingness to get forward, we need a penalty box striker. We don't have that at the moment and it shows in type of goals we are scoring.

I'm not complaining - I know it will likely be one of the things that CC addresses in time, but there's no point in getting your full-backs to the byeline if there are no players in the box to convert the crosses.

BSEJVT
28-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Murphy we should have worked out an offer to keep him at the club long-term and made him club captain. Built the next team around him.

But when we weren't able to choose the right manager three times in a row, we'd hardly have been likely to choose the right captain.

I thought Murphy was a great left back and a super footballer, but am not convinced we didnt get his best years out of him.

He was also mad keen to return down south so everyone was a winner with the deal to sell him.

It has really disappointed me that he hasnt kicked on and made a real name for himself down south.

As previous posters have said, he has a chronic lack of pace and is IMO being found out at that higher level because of it.

On the few occasions I have seen him in highlights packages, he has looked suspect for a few goals.

--------
28-02-2011, 03:53 PM

Booth has fantastic potential and has started really well. We all hope it continues but let's not get carried away.

Let's wait until we've seen him over a season, including several games against Rangers, Celtic and Hearts who will have players that are capable of causing CB problems defensively.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think the return ball to Booth was the right option. If we're going to take advantage of Booth and Towell's willingness to get forward, we need a penalty box striker. We don't have that at the moment and it shows in type of goals we are scoring.

I'm not complaining - I know it will likely be one of the things that CC addresses in time, but there's no point in getting your full-backs to the byeline if there are no players in the box to convert the crosses.

Yup - Sodjer was in the happy position of having two good passes - the one-two or the inside pass to Spoony. I see him playing the one-two, CB going for the by-line and crossing with Sodjer, Spoony and maybe Deek all following it in?

But then what actually was pretty good, too.

Now if we had a big guy like Ricardo VT running in on the far post? :greengrin

lapsedhibee
28-02-2011, 04:11 PM
He bit Odihambo(sp) very easily indeed

We've needed this kind of aggression in defence for ages.

Future17
28-02-2011, 04:22 PM
We've needed this kind of aggression in defence for ages.

I felt Saturday's game was one CB could really get his teeth into.

HibbyRod
28-02-2011, 04:28 PM

The players he reminds me of most as a young player coming into the side are Bobby Duncan and John Brownlie.

And then he signed Jon Grounds from Boro - on a short-term loan! Who was actually a centre-back.

If my memory is right Doddie, JB was from the Caldera De La Cruz too. :greengrin

hibbybrian
28-02-2011, 04:36 PM

But as I say, CB reminds of them as a youngster coming into the team. Whether he'll be as good as they were remains to be seen.

Me too :wink: . . . . . .AC :not worth

JimBHibees
28-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Booth is a fantastic talent however way too soon to be comparing him with Murph. Lets see where he is after a decent run in the team however the signs are very good as thought he was excellent on Saturday.

wazoo1875
28-02-2011, 04:47 PM

I definately agree with this, he just needs to do it consistently for however long he's with us. I think he looks like he can be a terrific player and hope he goes on and fulfils it. I agree with stack, he'd play for Scotland in the next year or 2 if he wasn't a hibby that is ;-)

Arch Stanton
28-02-2011, 06:27 PM

That actually got a chuckle from me - what exactly was that guy like? He probably is to football management what McGonagall was to poetry.

--------
28-02-2011, 06:30 PM
That actually got a chuckle from me - what exactly was that guy like? He probably is to football management what McGonagall was to poetry.

I really think that's not a fair comparison.

McGonagall was a much better poet than TLBAB was a football manager.

At least, I think so.

Much better command of English as well.

Franck Stanton
28-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Now I know your post was prior to the official announcement about Ricardo Vaz Te signing but now that he has and from the utube clips on the threads [ seems to be able to get his head to any cross into the box] would you then agree that the return ball to Booth was correct one?

yekimevol
28-02-2011, 07:11 PM
there both left backs, they both like to get forward, both have a great first touch and never panic when on the ball or under preasure.

:cgwa:cgwa

--------
28-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Now I know your post was prior to the official announcement about Ricardo Vaz Te signing but now that he has and from the utube clips on the threads [ seems to be able to get his head to any cross into the box] would you then agree that the return ball to Booth was correct one?

Aye, but eric - Vazza wasnae playing.

Next time, it'll be the correct pass indubitably. :agree:

Mon Dieu4
28-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I need to get the crack pipe out like some others, Murphy is the best left back Ive ever seen at Hibs, even better than Super Joe :wink:

You could count on one hand the amount of times he failed to control the ball first time in all his years at Hibs, also dont really but into the lace of pace bit, cant remember too many occasions when he got absolutely blasted for pace off an opposition player("lack of pace" doesnt seem to have stopped him playing in the Premership, scoring a few goals lately & winning a major cup either)

Booth is a cracking prospect and has all the attributes to go on and be better than Super Dave, but to suggest at this moment he is better than him is absolutely insane IMO

can you tell Murph was one of my favourite players in recent years?:faf::not worth:not worth

basehibby
28-02-2011, 08:14 PM

I think it's an easy comparison to see - both are Left backs with more than a touch of class about them. Early days for Booth but I can see him being every bit as popular a player as Murphy was and (eventually) following a similar path in his career to greater riches down south - hopefully this does not happen for a number of seasons and when it does Hibs get a whopping great fee for him.

Is Booth a better player than Murphy??? Probably not yet although he has the potential to go very far indeed.

WindyMiller
28-02-2011, 08:35 PM

His style is much closer to Brownlie than Murphy.

JB was a much better player than Murphy so the lad's got a bit to go yet, but looks very promising.

eastmainsmsh
28-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Murphy was brilliant however i feel booth will be better throught time plus he can play anywhere on the left :aok:

RMQ1967
28-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Cracking goal, that is all :flag: :hibees

Am I the only one who had one new pound on Booth first goalscorer at 33-1 :greengrin

Also splashed out on 1-0 Hbs at 7-1 - was all gong so well until Lewis done me out of a further seven quid :fuming:

mike1875
28-02-2011, 10:14 PM
yes booth has talent and great potential to improve much further but i'll wait till he's scored at celtic park and ibrox as murphy did, as well as having a key role in winning a trophy before i make that comparison

snooky
28-02-2011, 10:24 PM
That actually got a chuckle from me - what exactly was that guy like? He (Yogi) probably is to football management what McGonagall was to poetry.

A dastardly insult to William Topaz McG, IMO :grr:
Behave!
-----------
Re Booth.
It'll be interesting to look back at this thread in a couple of years time. Hindsight being 20/20.
BTW, I think we have a wee diamond in our hands.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2011, 10:45 PM
I think Booth will be a real star, and if things go the way we all hope i see him playing for Scotland, even with that prick we have in charge at the moment. And in time a transfer to a big English team, in the process making us a big fat cheque.

The skys the limit for him imo. :thumbsup:

Cocaine&Caviar
28-02-2011, 10:50 PM
- Both are very composed with the ball

- Both always seem willing to recieve possesion

- Both are pretty big lads

However, Booth certainly has more pace than David ever had.

But, David seemed to enjoy a tackle far more than we've seem from Callum.

A very long time left for Booth to develop, but the signs are promising.

Hank Schrader
01-03-2011, 12:23 AM
can you tell Murph was one of my favourite players in recent years?:faf::not worth:not worth

Murphy is up there with the likes of Sauzee and Latapy in my opinion, as one of the best players I have witnessed in my time as a Hibs fan. A fantastic touch and a cool head, rarely put a foot wrong and was a model of consistency in a Hibs jersey.

Young Callum looks like an outstanding prospect though. He will play for Scotland one day, I am confident of that.

snooky
01-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Callum is set to be our Gareth Bale.
Let's hope he keeps his feet on the ground, gets 'rested' now and again so he doesn't burn out (seen that happen so often), and doesn't ruin his career judasing to Gashgow.

AgentDaleCooper
01-03-2011, 02:01 AM
absolutely. and if there's one thing we can do to help keep his feet on the ground, it's not compare him with gareth bale.

:aok:

Diclonius
01-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Steady on.

Beefster
01-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Some Hibs fans need to chill out a tad about a young player who has started four first team games. I seem to recall the same sort of stuff about Wotherspoon after his first couple of games but no-one is saying it much nowadays.

Booth's got potential and played well so far. That's it.

nonshinyfinish
01-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Some Hibs fans need to chill out a tad about a young player who has started four first team games. I seem to recall the same sort of stuff about Wotherspoon after his first couple of games but no-one is saying it much nowadays.

matty_f
01-03-2011, 07:58 AM

Lots and lots of potential, mind, but it is just potential at this stage.

snooky
01-03-2011, 08:00 AM
absolutely. and if there's one thing we can do to help keep his feet on the ground, it's not compare him with gareth bale.

:aok:

I meant that he was our young exceptional talent in our team. That's why I qualified the statement with 'keeping his feet on the ground' and also 'resting' him.
I do take and agree with your point though.

lucky
01-03-2011, 08:02 AM
far to early to be starting a thread like this, He is a decent young player. Lets give him a chance to mature and improve before we start comparing him to a player who has scored 3 goals in the San Siro in the CL.

Not that long ago Soony was being touted as the best player to come out of ER.

Kaiser1962
01-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Let's hope he keeps his feet on the ground, gets 'rested' now and again so he doesn't burn out (seen that happen so often), and doesn't ruin his career judasing to Gashgow.

No pressure on him then..............................

Septimus
01-03-2011, 08:55 AM
The worrying thing is that Booth and the like were being kept out of the first team in case they became demoralised by just how badly things were going. The story was that the support would get on the back of young players and that would discourage them. So we were told by many posters.

Nothing it would seem is further from the truth. Surely the average supporter has more sense.

.Sean.
01-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Nae pressure at all on B then, eh?

IanM
01-03-2011, 10:28 AM

i'd have been more impressed if you had labelled him the new 'graham mitchell'

Part/Time Supporter
01-03-2011, 10:32 AM

Interesting comparison given that Bale started off as a left back but failed to convince defensively. He has since emerged as a top player as a left winger. Booth's perceived weakness is in the defensive aspect as well, which was exposed a bit v. Dundee Utd with high diagonal balls being played in his direction. Booth will need to prove himself in that aspect before anyone can really say with any certainty that he is a player, as opposed to potential. If he can't then I suppose the alternative used by Spurs with Bale may be open to Hibs (moving him to left wing).

Ritchie
01-03-2011, 10:36 AM

JEEZO!! :faf:

bit early for silly season is it not!

PeterboroHibee
01-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Think people need to calm down a bit on Booth. Clearly a fantastic prospect but needs to be allowed to develop and improve his game without more pressure being put on him.

Hank Schrader
01-03-2011, 11:06 AM
The lad looks the business but to compare him to, arguably, one of the best wide players in the world just now is a tad silly.

Lets give him the chance to shine without any added pressure or expectation. :aok:

ForeverHibs93
01-03-2011, 11:10 AM
JEEZO!! :faf:

bit early for silly season is it not!

The_Sauz
01-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I think we need to see how he does against the big teams (NOT THE YAMS :greengrin) at places like Ibrox and parkhead to see if he can coup with the pressure before we all get carried away.
Remember what happened to Lewis after the cup final, he got a bit over confident with himself, and now we rarely see the lad. The same goes for DW, who is vastly overrated on here..btw. He has been judged on his performances as a full back, to which he has been poor, and from what I have seen of him as a right midfielder, he blows hot and cold and over does things with all those stupid tricks that he tries to do.
Now before people start having a go with me! I believe that both DW & CB will become very good players, but only if they are managed properly and I don't mean just as a player, but as a person!

Perspective
01-03-2011, 11:35 AM
I think we need to see how he does against the big teams (NOT THE YAMS :greengrin) at places like Ibrox and parkhead to see if he can coup with the pressure before we all get carried away.
Remember what happened to Lewis after the cup final, he got a bit over confident with himself, and now we rarely see the lad. The same goes for DW, who is vastly overrated on here..btw. He has been judged on his performances as a full back, to which he has been poor, and from what I have seen of him as a right midfielder, he blows hot and cold and over does things with all those stupid tricks that he tries to do.
Now before people start having a go with me! I believe that both DW & CB will become very good players, but only if they are managed properly and I don't mean just as a player, but as a person!

Totally disagree.

For one thing I wouldn't say either Stevenson or Wotherspoon have ever been over-confident. If anything I think both at times let their head drop which has a negative impact on their performance. To suggest they got big-headed is ridiculous.

Wotherspoon needs time in a winning team to rediscover his self-belief. The signs are promising that he's getting there. And as for those 'stupid tricks', I'd rather we didn't try to coach flair out of a naturally gifted talent. Still think he's the real deal.

But if Booth has one sub-standard 45 minutes no doubt he'll be written off too.

Expecting Rain
01-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Why don`t we just enjoy and support the efforts of Booth,Hanlon and Wotherspoon to be the best players they can be, instead of comparing them to others or having them go off to the Old Firm before their careers have got started.

HibbyAndy
01-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Lets hope nae Jambos report back to Kickback and have a field day with this thread :rolleyes:

Brizo
01-03-2011, 12:38 PM
To compare Booth to Bale however tenuously is just mental.

Hibs history is littered with players who burst onto the scene ..... then promptly fizzled out.

A young laddie makes a very promising start and instead of being happy with that potential and at this stage that is all it is , he is our Gareth Bale.

As a young player his performance will have its ups and downs and as a defender hes bound to make a mistake at one stage which leads to a goal. In the black and white world of some fans the Booth backlash is only a few games away.

Gingertosser
01-03-2011, 12:49 PM
I seem to remeber Yogi saying that Booth wasn't ready because, wait for it...

He wasn't strong enough in the air :confused:

superfurryhibby
01-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Booth has tremendous potential and here's hoping he can fulfill it. I like his confidence on the ball and he is great going forward. He also has good attitude, nae arguing with the referee or prima donna body language from him. Some of our more experienced players good learn from this! However, it is very premature to compare him to David Murphy.

Murphy was a class act, great touch, he tackled fiercely and was generally inspirational. Those that mention chronic lack of pace etc clearly didn't see him play enough. I remember when he started out with Hibs he did seem to lack a bit of match fitness and sharpness, which was understandable given his previous injuries whilst at Boro. His positional awareness and reading of the game more than compensated for not having blistering pace. Clearly David has struggled a wee bit to get a place at Birmingham, serious injury has been a factor there. Maybe at that level his pace would be more of a problem but in the SPL it was not worth the mentioning.

TornadoHibby
01-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Booth has tremendous potential and here's hoping he can fulfill it. I like his confidence on the ball and he is great going forward. He also has good attitude, nae arguing with the referee or prima donna body language from him. Some of our more experienced players good learn from this! However, it is very premature to compare him to David Murphy.

Murphy was a class act, great touch, he tackled fiercely and was generally inspirational. Those that mention chronic lack of pace etc clearly didn't see him play enough. I remember when he started out with Hibs he did seem to lack a bit of match fitness and sharpness, which was understandable given his previous injuries whilst at Boro. His positional awareness and reading of the game more than compensated for not having blistering pace. Clearly David has struggled a wee bit to get a place at Birmingham, serious injury has been a factor there. Maybe at that level his pace would be more of a problem but in the SPL it was not worth the mentioning.

I saw him home and away without missing many games and Murphy suffered from lack of pace without question! :agree:

I do agree however with the bit highlighted in blue above although it didn't always help him out when confronted head on with real pace from mediocre footballers! :wink:

He has already been found seriously lacking for pace in the EPL and the recent (January) Man Utd game (5 nil to MU) showed that very clearly where he was culpable for at least 2 of the Man Utd goals due to lack of pace! Whilst I agree the problem was not so profound in the SPL it was still there for Murphy! :agree:

Booth is a very exciting prospect with incredible composure and skill for someone so young bearing in mind the number of top level games he has had IMO! He will go far in the game as I have posted on here before, again IMO! :agree:

The_Sauz
01-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Totally disagree.

For one thing I wouldn't say either Stevenson or Wotherspoon have ever been over-confident. If anything I think both at times let their head drop which has a negative impact on their performance. To suggest they got big-headed is ridiculous.

Wotherspoon needs time in a winning team to rediscover his self-belief. The signs are promising that he's getting there. And as for those 'stupid tricks', I'd rather we didn't try to coach flair out of a naturally gifted talent. Still think he's the real deal.

But if Booth has one sub-standard 45 minutes no doubt he'll be written off too.
Never said they got big headed :confused: what I did say was, they got over confident in themselves with the hype that the media and supporters put on them.

sam armstrong
01-03-2011, 01:51 PM
I need to get the crack pipe out like some others, Murphy is the best left back Ive ever seen at Hibs, even better than Super Joe :wink:

You could count on one hand the amount of times he failed to control the ball first time in all his years at Hibs, also dont really but into the lace of pace bit, cant remember too many occasions when he got absolutely blasted for pace off an opposition player("lack of pace" doesnt seem to have stopped him playing in the Premership, scoring a few goals lately & winning a major cup either)

Booth is a cracking prospect and has all the attributes to go on and be better than Super Dave, but to suggest at this moment he is better than him is absolutely insane IMO

Murphy didn't get done for pace too often because he never got that close to opponents. All slow defenders do that but unfortunatley that allows the forwards to get their crosses in or passes away. His talent on the ball was unquestionable but if he had good defensive qualities he would be a regular in the premiership. The only place he has played regularly was Easter Road.
Booth has potential, but to put pressure on him just now is unfair. He still has a lot to learn paticularly on defence.

iwasthere1972
01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
David Murphy was immense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yetRpMJHTo&playnext=1&list=PL390B8CD5B4457E8D

BSEJVT
01-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Apologies,

I guess we will all need to bow to your superior knowledge on what we did and didnt see over Murphy's tenure with Hibs

FWIW I have had a season ticket for umpteen years and doubt I missed more than a handful of home games over the period Murphy was with us.

I am confident I have seen more than enough footballers to recognise a lack of pace when I see one.

Murphy was brilliant for Hibs and its a great shame that this lack of pace has held him back from being an absolutely top notch EPL player.

As stated by another poster he is getting found out at that level and since IMO he had everything other than that lack of pace, maybe its the reason?

He is likely to slow up considerably as he gets older, see Ian Murray, so maybe Hibs did get the best out of him?

Woody1985
01-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Never said they got big headed :confused: what I did say was, they got over confident in themselves with the hype that the media and supporters put on them.

I think you need to find out what big headed means!

Someone is at the wind up with the op imo.

As for booth, let's let him get on with the game. You could see with his celebration and falling to the ground jokingly that he's just delighted to be at this level.

I've lost count of the moaners already complaining how he's great and will be sold for millions and nout reinvested in the squad. Mental.

millarco
01-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Interesting comparison given that Bale started off as a left back but failed to convince defensively. He has since emerged as a top player as a left winger. Booth's perceived weakness is in the defensive aspect as well, which was exposed a bit v. Dundee Utd with high diagonal balls being played in his direction. Booth will need to prove himself in that aspect before anyone can really say with any certainty that he is a player, as opposed to potential. If he can't then I suppose the alternative used by Spurs with Bale may be open to Hibs (moving him to left wing).

:agree: Was saying the same on Saturday. His strength is obviously going forward, and you want your footballers to do their damage in the opposing third. If we can get a good left-back in the summer we could push Booth to left midfield, sure he's played there before on loan. Potential to add a bit of experience and strength to the back line and will add a bit of balance to the left side that's maybe lacking at the moment. Seamus Coleman is another example down south of a full back who's thrived in a more advanced role.

Sergey
12-01-2012, 08:51 PM
The jury is still out for me.

HibeeSince85
12-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Not a left back, left midfield though, he's young, plenty time to learn the position, he's a good player for me, definately one to keep.

RIP
12-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Future captain

Wotherspiniesta
12-01-2012, 09:53 PM

What's the point?

Bringing up a thread from nearly a year ago to have a go at a young guy who's potentially a cracking player.

Pathetic.

hibee92
12-01-2012, 09:59 PM
What's the point?

Bringing up a thread from nearly a year ago to have a go at a young guy who's potentially a cracking player.

Pathetic.

Bang on. Absolutely nae need.

basehibby
12-01-2012, 10:08 PM

I rate Booth loads - sure he's made some mistakes, and playing at left back some potentially expensive ones, but he has obvious ability on the ball which is all too rare in Scottish players these days - always plays with his head up looking for a pass.

Booth has natural ability and a great attitude - a bit more experience and he'll be a cracking player IMO.

Diclonius
12-01-2012, 10:16 PM
What's the point?

Pathetic.

:top marks

Dinkydoo
12-01-2012, 10:17 PM
He's a great player IMO. With a bit more experience and a confidence boost he'll cut out the errors and be running up and down that left flank again week in week out.

AlbertK86
12-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Great footballer but not a good defender. We all go on about a lack of creativity but this boy could be the answer. Great delivery and think he will develop into a great left midfielder. Most folk in football out with Hibs rate him as midfielder.
Long term would like to see him at LM and Scott Smith at LB.
Once PF turns us around and gets us safe I'd like to see him give them a run together down that left side

Dunbar Hibee
12-01-2012, 10:23 PM
What's the point?

Pathetic.

:top marks Correct.

Very sad indeed.

Heckys Wheel
12-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Playing in this team could ruin him. An excellent prospect but looks like a bag of nerves right now and if we could find a replacement, could probably do with a rest.

R'Albin
12-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Playing in this team could ruin him. An excellent prospect but looks like a bag of nerves right now and if we could find a replacement, could probably do with a rest.

I worry that the same may happen to him as what happened to Spoon... Still got loads of potential and could turn out to be a very good LB/LM for us. Seems like a very clever player and is skillful, would benefit loads imo from getting played further up the pitch or at least playing with a better defence.

monktonharp
12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Great footballer but not a good defender. We all go on about a lack of creativity but this boy could be the answer. Great delivery and think he will develop into a great left midfielder. Most folk in football out with Hibs rate him as midfielder.
Long term would like to see him at LM and Scott Smith at LB.
Once PF turns us around and gets us safe I'd like to see him give them a run together down that left sideI like young Callum, he's had some great performances but some very nervy ones too but that has got to be put into context. he's playing in a team that's been in a downward spiral,manager change, backroom changes for the couple of years that he has came in to the first team. he's still a young guy, growing up in a pressure environment in his workplace and should be admired for trying to stick to the task. dont know if he should be in the LB position,seems better driving forward from the mid, although some of his passing has went anywhere recently but, he is a footballer and will be a really good one in the near future.btw, whae's Scott Smith?:confused:

AlbertK86
12-01-2012, 11:05 PM
I like young Callum, he's had some great performances but some very nervy ones too but that has got to be put into context. he's playing in a team that's been in a downward spiral,manager change, backroom changes for the couple of years that he has came in to the first team. he's still a young guy, growing up in a pressure environment in his workplace and should be admired for trying to stick to the task. dont know if he should be in the LB position,seems better driving forward from the mid, although some of his passing has went anywhere recently but, he is a footballer and will be a really good one in the near future.btw, whae's Scott Smith?:confused:

Smith is a youngster just been out on loan. Has captained Scotland youth teams. Was originally a CB when younger. He hasn't grown as tall as expected. Very tough tackler and was always very vocal at youth levels. Played pre season and did very well. Another one tho who may be ruined if put into a team as poor as we are just now

TowerHibs
13-01-2012, 12:03 AM

Sums the whole place up - just dying to slate players at all costs. No wonder they are murder at ER.

And we wonder why we only attract rank players

Jones28
13-01-2012, 12:15 AM
What's the point?

Pathetic.

Got it in one :aok::agree:

smurf
13-01-2012, 12:15 AM
He's a very good player with the potential to be a superb player.

Decent players have no chance with a section of our support. Proof being Derek Riordan...

MagicSwirlingShip
13-01-2012, 03:32 AM
He's a very good player with the potential to be a superb player.

Decent players have no chance with a section of our support. Proof being Derek Riordan...

To be fair, first time round, Hibs fans idolised Riordan. It was never going to be the same again after his comments once joining Celtic.

Green and white
13-01-2012, 04:19 AM
last week you were all on his back for being *****. he has bags of ability but lacks in confidance and sometimes he doesn't fit into our system. it just takes one move of magic for everyone to realise how good he is. lets support the lads win lose of draw. putting them down and complaning only has a negative effect. supporting them has the only possitive.

J-C
13-01-2012, 10:01 AM
He's a wing back and in this modern day football he fits in perfectly, unfortunately you need 2 decent CB's to cover when a wing back is upfield, Hanlon has played LB many times but O'Hanlon just aint up to scratch.

Persevere80
13-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Great touches from the wee man, great going foward although has been caught out a few times defending. I would like to see him stay at the club and make the position his own over the next few seasons.