PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Question RE Split

Keith_M
25-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Is it possible for a club that 'qualifies' for the top six to be relegated?

Imagine a really tight league, points wise. One team just scrapes into the top six then proceeds to not get a single point. All the teams that WERE below them get points and all end on more than the team in 'sixth' place. Would that club get relegated or the one that's at the bottom of the bottom six?

Maybe I should have titled this 'todays headache question' :greengrin

Kojock
25-02-2011, 10:05 AM

Imagine a really tight league, points wise. One team just scrapes into the top six then proceeds to not get a single point. All the teams that WERE below them get points and all end on more than the team in 'sixth' place. Would that club get relegated or the one that's at the bottom of the bottom six?

Not Possible. If you finish top six you cannot be relegated no matter how many points you end up with.

Houchy
25-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Pretty straight forward actually. No team that finishes in the top six can drop back into the bottom six regardless of points and no team in the bottom six can finish the season in the top six regardless of points.:agree:

Can't remember where I read this but it's a (very) slight paraphrase of the official rule/statement.

Golden Bear
25-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Not Possible. If you finish top six you cannot be relegated no matter how many points you end up with.

:agree:

If your sixth, you're sixth regardless of the number of points you accumulate or fail to accumulate after the split.

Removed
25-02-2011, 10:14 AM
:agree:

If your sixth, you're sixth regardless of the number of points you accumulate or fail to accumulate after the split.

Unless you're hearts. I'm sure the believers claimed a higher position when they were in bottom 6. That's why they are a big team :agree:

Houchy
25-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Unless you're hearts. I'm sure the believers claimed a higher position when they were in bottom 6. That's why they are a big team :agree:

:agree::greengrin

They finished 7th but claimed 5th or something.

Andy74
25-02-2011, 11:02 AM

You aren't really getting the point of the split are you? :greengrin

lapsedhibee
25-02-2011, 11:02 AM

Hertz and their fans operate a different system of maths, where (for example) they have full attendances at the Asbestos Palace even when the team is playing away. Summin to do with the seats having been paid for, therefore the payer is always present. (Think I've got that right.)

Keith_M
25-02-2011, 11:20 AM
You aren't really getting the point of the split are you? :greengrin

To be fair, Andy, I have trouble remembering what day it is, so I've got no chance with this.

:greengrin

aberhibsfc
25-02-2011, 01:04 PM
The reason teams in the top six don't pick up as many points is that they are playing all the form teams. The bottom six are battling with those who are smaller or performed worse over the season. If a team in the bottom can get a bit of form and go on a run it can prove a little easier to pick up additional points.

I agree it looks a bit wonky when you show a league table with all 12, but post split it shouldn't really be illustrated in this way.

iwasthere1972
25-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Maybe not such a daft question as I first thought. Imagine if it was tight and one of the top six clubs went into administration in April/May and were deducted 10 points.

Killiehibbie
25-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Maybe not such a daft question as I first thought. Imagine if it was tight and one of the top six clubs went into administration in April/May and were deducted 10 points.If it happened after the split they shouldn't finish lower than 6th.

aberhibsfc
25-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Maybe not such a daft question as I first thought. Imagine if it was tight and one of the top six clubs went into administration in April/May and were deducted 10 points.

If that happened I guess the league, dependent on rules or how they would reach a decision, may have the powers to remove a clubs membership of the SPL.

As a member of the SFA it would be possible for them to retain their association status and drop into the SFL. However, I think the SFL have the right to refuse an administrative statused club entry into their league. I can't remember what happened with Airdrie, I think they had their membership revoked during administration and reformed and rejoined by buying over Clydebank.

I am not too familiar with the Livi / Gretna / Airdrie / Clydebank situations also Motherwell went into administration and I can't remember what happened with these. Maybe someone with a better recollection maybe able to enlighten me.

_hucks_
26-02-2011, 09:25 AM
I'd assume that for a top 6 team a points deduction would kick in from the beginning of the next season.

down-the-slope
26-02-2011, 09:33 AM

How do you manage to return home to the corect place at night :rolleyes: - its not as if this is a new concept its been ongoing for years :greengrin

Heres a real conundrum for you - if we tarred and feathered you for being a complete eejit...and you were not allowed to wash...how many days would it take for you skin to naturally shed and you return to pink & clean

iwasthere1972
26-02-2011, 10:38 AM
I'd assume that for a top 6 team a points deduction would kick in from the beginning of the next season.

Why? Gretna went into administration in March of 2008 and AFAIK were immediately deducted 10 points. Although they were in the bottom six at the time and it was before the split you surely can't have different rules dependant on league placing.

Anyway I believe that Muderwell FC should be fined and get a 20 point deduction for that potato patch they call Fir Park. An additional 10 point deduction should be made for not having a main stand that runs the whole length of the pitch. :greengrin

Seriously I can't see us making the top six this season but some good results in the coming months could restore the feel good factor at Easter Road. We can then kick on next season and take our rightful place above the Yams.

Hibbyradge
26-02-2011, 10:48 AM

No headache required.

You can't be relegated in the top 6.

_hucks_
27-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Why? Gretna went into administration in March of 2008 and AFAIK were immediately deducted 10 points. Although they were in the bottom six at the time and it was before the split you surely can't have different rules dependant on league placing.

Anyway I believe that Muderwell FC should be fined and get a 20 point deduction for that potato patch they call Fir Park. An additional 10 point deduction should be made for not having a main stand that runs the whole length of the pitch. :greengrin

Seriously I can't see us making the top six this season but some good results in the coming months could restore the feel good factor at Easter Road. We can then kick on next season and take our rightful place above the Yams.

I'd assume that it would happen like that because a ten point reduction to a team already secured in the top six will not allow them to drop any lower than 6th place. Would hardly be right.

--------
27-02-2011, 02:43 PM

No - you should have titled this "Today's Splitting Headache Question".

I'll get my coat. :devil: