PDA

View Full Version : who was the guy who picked his team according to stats from training etc???

Mister P
24-02-2011, 07:49 AM
There was a coach, I think in American football, who kept stats on all his players and picked his team according to that rather than who he felt were his best options. IIRC he won a few chamionships doing this.

H18sry
24-02-2011, 08:44 AM
There was a coach, I think in American football, who kept stats on all his players and picked his team according to that rather than who he felt were his best options. IIRC he won a few chamionships doing this.

Hibeernian coach Mister P fears for his job.

Mister P coach of Hibeernian last night was believed to be in fear of losing his job unless his last gasp clutching at straws, team selection work's.

Hibeernian have lost in 2 cup's tie's in recent weeks and fan unrest has caused the Beers gaffer to worry about his job, he is rumoured to be picking his next team by placing all the names in a hat and whoever is picked first plays in goal and so on until the 11 starters are picked, a source close to the club was heard to say "whats new".

Mister P
25-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Hibeernian coach Mister P fears for his job.

Mister P coach of Hibeernian last night was believed to be in fear of losing his job unless his last gasp clutching at straws, team selection work's.

Hibeernian have lost in 2 cup's tie's in recent weeks and fan unrest has caused the Beers gaffer to worry about his job, he is rumoured to be picking his next team by placing all the names in a hat and whoever is picked first plays in goal and so on until the 11 starters are picked, a source close to the club was heard to say "whats new".

bolt you :faf::faf::faf:

it was spoken about on here ages ago, I think Fat Stu was reading the guys book. just fancied checking it out.

stats don't lie though :greengrin

millarco
25-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Think you're referring to the book 'Moneyball' by Michael Lewis, telling the story of Billy Beane and the Oakland A's. Haven't read it but it's on the list, supposed to be pretty decent.

Shrekko
27-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Think you're referring to the book 'Moneyball' by Michael Lewis, telling the story of Billy Beane and the Oakland A's. Haven't read it but it's on the list, supposed to be pretty decent.
:agree:

It's not quite how the OP describes it but I'm sure it's 'Moneyball' he's talking about.

A cracking read if you're heavily into baseball. If you're not a fan it's probably not all that interesting as it goes heavily into depth about background influences and the development of statistical analysis of the sport which ain't everyones cup of tea.

Billy Beane has subsequently changed his mind about a few things so I'm not sure what to make of it now.