PDA

View Full Version : Question There's Only One Sauzee

Jonnyboy
23-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Folks

My good friend Ted Brack, author of several excellent books about Hibs, tells me he has been commissioned by his publishers to write a book on Frank Sauzee's time at Easter Road. The book will be published around October of this year and Ted is keen to read of your favourite Sauzee memories or stories.

If you can add them to this thread he'll visit now and then to pick up on your posts :thumbsup:

It's an opportunity for you to share your stories and memories with Ted and of course with other dot netters

Thanks all :thumbsup:

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Obvious but, running the full length of the pitch to celebrate with us at the PBS.
Losing his teeth and not even caring coz he had scored against the yams.
When we started playing the French national anthem after his goals and he scored a cracker(free kick i think?) and ran over and saluted the old terracin as it played :-)

wazoo1875
23-02-2011, 09:28 PM
That's brilliant news jonnyboy, never met the great man personally but I envy those who did.
I'll never forget him running the whole length of the tynie pitch after his goal in the millennium derby.

HibbyAndy
23-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Where do we start??? Losing 4 front teeth against the pub team and writhing on the ground in agony and eventually gets to his feet and clenches the fist..True hibs man :agree:

Scoring a screamer at Tiny and running all the way to celebrate with 'us'.

Could go oan and oan.

FranckSuzy
23-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Folks

My good friend Ted Brack, author of several excellent books about Hibs, tells me he has been commissioned by his publishers to write a book on Frank Sauzee's time at Easter Road. The book will be published around October of this year and Ted is keen to read of your favourite Sauzee memories or stories.

If you can add them to this thread he'll visit now and then to pick up on your posts :thumbsup:

It's an opportunity for you to share your stories and memories with Ted and of course with other dot netters

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Maybe that'll mean that Le God will grace us with his presence? :pray: :not worth

I'll never forget the buzz around Hampden when he led the team out for the SC final vs Celtic. No-one had expected him to be fit. Was lucky enough to meet him twice. Absolute gentleman and a true legend :sauzee:

Hillsidehibby
23-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Tell him his book about a lifetime following Hibs was superb but I stopped reading it after the 70's cos I was greetin too much!!

Lofarl
23-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Fantastic news. I hope to hear input from Le great man himself.

Jonnyboy
23-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Tell him his book about a lifetime following Hibs was superb but I stopped reading it after the 70's cos I was greetin too much!!

:greengrin

He'll read that for himself buddy :thumbsup:

erin-go-bragh87
23-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Obvious but, running the full length of the pitch to celebrate with us at the PBS.
Losing his teeth and not even caring coz he had scored against the yams.
When we started playing the French national anthem after his goals and he scored a cracker(free kick i think?) and ran over and saluted the old terracin as it played :-)

All of this!! That salute was one of my favourite moments at a game! It sounds daft but if I close my eyes I can see him standing there saluting like it was yesterday!!

HibeeSince85
23-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Met him once, you don't ever forget, tynie, the 6-2 jig, the flick in a cup semi v Livi, being a European Cup winner who joined Hibs and became one of us.

LE GOD

KWJ
23-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Good stuff.

His jig with Mixu. The livi semi when he knocked it over the 2 guys heads. Signing Alex Marinkov as his interpretur but most importantly the way he effortlessly stopped attacks and started ours from the sweeper position. There's no point in us adopting a sweeper ever again as nobody could do it like Franck.

HibbyAndy
23-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Met him once, you don't ever forget, tynie, the 6-2 jig, the flick in a cup semi v Livi, being a European Cup winner who joined Hibs and became one of us.

LE GOD

Outstanding :agree:

Outwitted the 2 Livvi players in around the box, Stunning.

Conj
23-02-2011, 09:48 PM

LE GOD

That's my best memory, running back towards his own goal with two Livi players right behind him, stops dead flicks the ball over his own and their heads and then turns and runs between them to collect the ball and stroll towards the halfway line. One of, if not THE best piece of skill I've ever seen from a Hibs player!!

1two
23-02-2011, 09:51 PM
The greatest thing about (apart from his obvious class on the field) was his presence. I don't mean presence as a player but just when he was at the club he just had this sort of positive presence. I know im not explaining it well but I also bet you all know what I mean. Can't wait for the book!

The greatest captain I have ever seen at hibs and will likely ever see and I doubt anyone can name a better captain prior to sauzee

sleeping giant
23-02-2011, 09:51 PM
He just had to say Eeeeebs and he had me :greengrin
I honestly really really really believe he took the club to his heart.

Goal at Tynie for me. He only had one thought after scoring it. He knew what it meant.

He stopped playing to manage us :boo hoo: How sad is that ?

HibbyAndy
23-02-2011, 09:55 PM
He just had to say Eeeeebs and he had me :greengrin
I honestly really really really believe he took the club to his heart.

Goal at Tynie for me. He only had one thought after scoring it. He knew what it meant.

He stopped playing to manage us :boo hoo: How sad is that ?

Jimmy please dinnae get me bubbling :boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

HibeeSince85
23-02-2011, 09:56 PM
The greatest thing about (apart from his obvious class on the field) was his presence. I don't mean presence as a player but just when he was at the club he just had this sort of positive presence. I know im not explaining it well but I also bet you all know what I mean. Can't wait for the book!

The greatest captain I have ever seen at hibs and will likely ever see and I doubt anyone can name a better captain prior to sauzee

I know what you mean, I agree with the lot.

matty_f
23-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Sure I remember a pre-season game v Boro, where he hit a shot that came off the heid of one of the Boro players and ricocheted off onto another player's head, flooring them both.:thumbsup:

sleeping giant
23-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Jimmy please dinnae get me bubbling :boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

Just one then

Skip to 8min 35 seconds

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An3r-2C1yVI&feature=fvsr)

Mango Man
24-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Really wish there was some way we could get him a job back at Hibs, any job, just to have him around the place again, it would be magnificent.

Very special player, imagine if we had him in his prime?!:faint:

Andy74
24-02-2011, 03:06 AM
I seem to recall us celebrating his birthday with the French anthem and other stuff, was it at Tannadice?

matty_f
24-02-2011, 06:59 AM
I don't recall the Yams ever beating him...:thumbsup:

NeilOrrSquareBa
24-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Tynecastle the 3-0 game.

Sauzee reads a through ball, moves towards it with 2 Jambos haring after him. As he reaches the bounce he swerves round in a perfect 180 degree arc taking the ball "widdershins roond the kirk" and moves off elegantly leaving 2 jambos racing towards an empty spece where once a great player bamboozled them!

dangermouse
24-02-2011, 07:42 AM
That's my best memory, running back towards his own goal with two Livi players right behind him, stops dead flicks the ball over his own and their heads and then turns and runs between them to collect the ball and stroll towards the halfway line. One of, if not THE best piece of skill I've ever seen from a Hibs player!!

A truly magical moment that I'll never forget.

poolman
24-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Just one then

Skip to 8min 35 seconds

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An3r-2C1yVI&feature=fvsr)

Do ye no just wanna give him a big hug :greengrin

matty_f
24-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Do ye no just wanna give him a big hug :greengrin

:agree: He is the only frenchman I've ever loved :greengrin

RoscoHibby
24-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Mind singing happy birthday to him at ER one time! Only time i've ever heard that at a football stadium!

Same as some other folk, just really remember him being so composed taking down a high ball, maybe beating an attacker or 2, then launching a perfect 60yd pass up the park, looked like he could've landed one on a 5p. Plus, he seemed to hate the yams aswell!

SAAAAUUUUUUZEE, there's only one.....

:not worth

Scouse Hibee
24-02-2011, 09:00 AM
In the old Hibs shops before it was modernised there was a full size cardboard cut out of Sauzee, in there with my wee laddie when he says "look Dad that's Franck Sauzee". I was occupied with something else and without looking said "yeah son it is" to which he replied "it's really him Dad look". I was about to say "it's only a cardboard cut out son" when the the I heard the man himself say "yes it is really me" as he stepped out from behind it! The wee man was chuffed to bits as Franck spoke to him, you had to be there really but the wee man was delighted.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Can someone please confirm that im NOT the only one getting goosebumps reading this?

Steve-O
24-02-2011, 09:22 AM
I'd recommend Ted watches that 'Inside Easter Road' video (also on Youtube) from 2000...some good Sauzee stuff on there, including interviews about "Eeeeeebs" :agree:

JimBHibees
24-02-2011, 09:35 AM
I'll never forget him running the whole length of the tynie pitch after his goal in the millennium derby.

The iconic Sauzee moment for me. :thumbsup:

In general just a class act.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2011, 09:35 AM
I had heroes when a kid, the tornadoes were all heroes to me, especially Stanton Brownlie O'rourke Edwards and Gordon my favorites. Although i'm now 51, and thought my days of having a footballer as a hero was dead, Frank Sauzee is a hero, and right up there with the others i mention.

When i was growing up, i took that team of the 70's for granted, and did not really appreciate just how good they were, but i was older when Frank came, and could see just how good a player, and just what a gentleman he really was.

My lasting memory was not a footballing one, and yes there were many. It was at the Frank Sauzee appreciation presentation, when he broke down giving his speech. There was not a dry eye in the place, and anyone there knew you were in the presence of someone who really loved us, and we loved him.

Legends are for me a personal thing, if you believe a player is a legend, then he is.

Frank was and always will be a Hibs legend in my eyes.

IWasThere2016
24-02-2011, 09:45 AM
I had heroes when a kid, the tornadoes were all heroes to me, especially Stanton Brownlie O'rourke Edwards and Gordon my favorites. Although i'm now 51, and thought my days of having a footballer as a hero was dead, Frank Sauzee is a hero, and right up there with the others i mention.

When i was growing up, i took that team of the 70's for granted, and did not really appreciate just how good they were, but i was older when Frank came, and could see just how good a player, and just what a gentleman he really was.

My lasting memory was not a footballing one, and yes there were many. It was at the Frank Sauzee appreciation presentation, when he broke down giving his speech. There was not a dry eye in the place, and anyone there knew you were in the presence of someone who really loved us, and we loved him.

Legends are for me a personal thing, if you believe a player is a legend, then he is.

:top marks

1875er
24-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I wasn't at the Millenium Derby but I remember watching on TV and in the 1st half he got the ball on his own 18 yard line and backheeled it about 15 yards to John O' Neill (I think) completely taking out two Hearts players.... sheer class.

poolman
24-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Some absolute belters here :not worth

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsnqn_om-franck-sauzeele-lancemissiles_sport

bawheid
24-02-2011, 10:28 AM
The millenium derby is probably my favourite ever derby - and I was at the 6-2 game.

Does anyone else recall Sauzee back-heeling the ball inside his own box, taking about 5 Hearts players out the game in the process?

I also recall him making Neil Lennon look extremely silly at ER. Another flicking the ball over opponents head trick.

Peevemor
24-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh, okay then ... :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0NJm-H6t58&feature=fvsr

hibs0666
24-02-2011, 11:08 AM
I wasn't at the Millenium Derby but I remember watching on TV and in the 1st half he got the ball on his own 18 yard line and backheeled it about 15 yards to John O' Neill (I think) completely taking out two Hearts players.... sheer class.

That's the one for me too. Was at the game with a mate of mine and we just looked at each other and started to giggle like wee kids at the piss-take we had just witnessed. :na na:

Dalkeith Hibee
24-02-2011, 11:23 AM

My memory is a bit hazy but didnt he do something similar to Neil Lennon at Easter Road? Lennon tried to charge him down and he dinked it over his head and took it down with his toe at the other side?

Cant wait for the book.

hibsbollah
24-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Says it all really:top marks

NeilOrrSquareBa
24-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I hope the book will have an update tp let us know how he is now and what he ecalls as his special moments at ER.
Could also be a great book launch if he agreed to come and sign some copies. I'd be there!

SouthMoroccoStu
24-02-2011, 11:50 AM
To the Dean Martin classic

When the ball hits the net like a low flying jet, that's a Sauzee!!!

Even my english girlfriend sings that version now!

And how many of us have had pets named after the great man. :flag:

Killiehibbie
24-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Played the game the way it should be played. Even the opposition admired him, if they saw what way he went.:not worth

hibbydog
24-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Doing keepie uppies in the SC QF against Falkirk at Easter Road

Was looking like getting caught for pace for a through ball against St Johnstone once. Last man, he just took it down on his toe, turned in one motion and pinged a first time pass to send someone down the wing...meanwhile the St Johnstone player was still sprinting in the opposite direction. I even think our goalie had a wee giggle at that !!

The backheel against herz at Tynie

The free kick against falkirk on the last day of the first division

Always used to hear 'Sauzee's go the cigar out in Midfield' on commentary....sums the man up.

Class

bawheid
24-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Can't wait for this book. Would be great if all the great Sauzee moments could be collated on a DVD. And we really should be inviting him back.

I've just spent my lunchtime watching youtube videos of Le God playing for the Hibees.

The speed at which his goal at Tynie flies past Niemi is unreal! What a night that was.

7 Hills
24-02-2011, 12:31 PM
I seem to recall us celebrating his birthday with the French anthem and other stuff, was it at Tannadice?

Yes, it was indeed at Tannadice and it wasn't long after the stunning 6-2 defeat of Hearts! The hibs fans sang, "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday Franck Sauzee - we f***** Hearts 6-2!"

I'll also never forget the occasion where we sang La Marseillaise at a derby at Easter Road (although the lyrics were a doo doo doo improvisation! :greengrin ) - Franck was standing near to where I sat in the old East Stand and Stephane Adam of the Jambos was close to Franck on the pitch, grinning at him like a Cheshire Cat, he was almost as chuffed at the rendition of the French national anthem as Franck himself was!

Another derby at Tynecastle, a Hibs fan hit Antti Niemi with a cup of Bovril and Franck came straight to the Hibs end demanding that the culprit was made known to the authorities. All the Hibs fans around the individual pointed at him and he was led away by the police, looking rather shamefaced.

Fantastic footballer, fantastic man - and he fell in love with the Hibees as much as we fell in love with him! :not worth

Ted - I hope that you'll be bringing him to the Livingston Waterstones for a book signing! :wink:

ShanksSaidNo
24-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Aside from all the moments already mentioned, one of my favourite Franck memories came from an interview after the game at Firhill when we clinched promotion from the 1st division. Franck finishes the interview with "We are champions, we are cool!" His French accent made it all the more memorable! It's on the video that was made post our promotion.

Always thought it was a shame that his relationship with the club was tarnished due to Petrie’s hasty decision to appoint him as manager then subsequently sack him!! I think he would have come back to watch our games, help promote things if it all ended differently! As it stands he’s never been seen!

There’s a shop in Ocean Terminal that sells football memorabilia – theres an enormous picture of Franck standin against the wall of the main stand which captures the man at his classy best!

bawheid
24-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Always thought it was a shame that his relationship with the club was tarnished due to Petrie’s hasty decision to appoint him as manager then subsequently sack him!!

I could be wrong here... but I'm sure the legend goes that Petrie was the only board member who wanted to keep him on, but he was voted down.

SouthMoroccoStu
24-02-2011, 01:36 PM
I could be wrong here... but I'm sure the legend goes that Petrie was the only board member who wanted to keep him on, but he was voted down.

I think it was Petrie that started that rumour :wink:

sadtom
24-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Never spoke to the man myself. I did have the opporchancity once but was just too starstruck.
I was on a bus when Franck and his partner got on at hannover street.
Couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this heavenly vision of lovelyness appear at the top of the stairs. Followed closely by his missus, who was a bit of a looker herself.:wink:
Wanted to shake his hand and saw hello but the best i could manage was a dopey grin.
There can be only one...

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2011, 06:08 PM
There was a dvd made of the presentation made to him, i had one in fact most of it was taken with my video camera. I have since lost that dvd, does anyone still have one, and could i get a copy of it?

cocopops1875
24-02-2011, 06:25 PM
my memory was at st johnstone if i recall keegan parker was getting all the headlines at the time tearing teams to bits, frank was at sweeper and the laddie never got a touch of the ball tried everything to beat him but sauzee knew what was happening every time read him like a book :hibees they had to sub the boy as he looked shellshocked. Also saw him the day after the final v celtic in george st i had a green mohawk he caught my eye and looked gutted i just gave him a nod what can you say to a guy that was clearly hurting as much as me

DarlingtonHibee
24-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Was introduced to Frank the day after the AEK home game -stitches above the swollen eye, looked very sore - his first comment to me was - " sorry about the result"... Gentelmen, and a great player.

hibee_girl
24-02-2011, 06:33 PM

That's mine too :agree:

DC_Hibs
24-02-2011, 06:36 PM
This game on 28/10/2000 - http://ihibs.co.uk/game.php?gameid=4560

Sauzee was born 28/10/1965

8k+ crowd at Tannadice tells you there was a big old Hibs support up there.

Tam McManus late winner made the "Happy Birthday Franck Sauzee" song all the better which the great man seemed to enjoy when he came to salute the fans at the end of the game.

Great day.

Haymaker
24-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Some absolute belters here :not worth

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsnqn_om-franck-sauzeele-lancemissiles_sport

Around 55seconds it looks like he scores against the Huns for Marseille?

chorley_fm
24-02-2011, 06:40 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2009/5/21/1242916098395/Hibernians-Franck-Sauzee--001.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1710000/images/_1711761_sauzeewithfans300.jpg

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/javaImages/4d/0/0,,10290~9240653,00.jpg

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/javaImages/99/67/0,,10290~9136025,00.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VWGof-zXooo/TRIFBC9-edI/AAAAAAAAJaI/ejXfZUM20wc/s1600/17-Franck+SAUZEE+Panini+France+1992.png

Father Ted
24-02-2011, 07:37 PM
All I can say about this top bloke whom I never had the good fortune to meet him but he was a Hibs ultra while with us for too short a time (I kind of think he enjoyed his time here too). :not worth:not worth

BroxburnHibee
24-02-2011, 07:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4z1WLVt-PM

Sauzee's teeth game.

BroxburnHibee
24-02-2011, 08:02 PM
How about when one legend met another :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-PMFaCtNUw&feature=related

Mac
24-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Probably the most humble gentleman i have had the pleasure to meet, i bumped into him in the newsagent on Elm Row on a Friday afternoon, im sure we were playing Aberdeen the following day, i mumbled a nervous good luck while an awe, he finished paying for his paper, and talked outside the shop for about 15 minutes, completely impromptu and will be something i will always remember and is up there on a pedestal for me, his passion not just for football but for Hibs was incredible, obviously he is also one of the best players i have ever seen at ER and ive been watching hbs since the 70's.

Fantastic player and person!!

Gala Foxes
24-02-2011, 08:27 PM
St Johnstone away Sept 2000 , I put a £1 bet on Sauzee 1st goal & 3-0 Hibs @
275-1
1st half Zitelli chopped down in box, had it been a penalty, which it was, Latapy would have scored,Ref gave a free kick which Franck buried
Hibs are 3-0 up with 5 minutes left, Latapy scores a fourth, ref disallows it for offside, I am the only happy Hi-bee in the ground!
Finishes 3-0 Hibs so £275 for me - who said Scottish refs are bad ?!!
Kept a copy of the betting form & got Franck to sign it at the Appreciation Society farewell at Easter Road - Have got a copy if Ted wants it

Topographic Hibby
24-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Was introduced to Frank the day after the AEK home game -stitches above the swollen eye, looked very sore - his first comment to me was - " sorry about the result"... Gentelmen, and a great player.
At the AEK game after he was taken-off with the injury he lashed out at the side of the home dug-out and gave it a right good kick-in. That's one of my nice memories of the big guy and was yet another sign of his total commitment to us. Aside from the casual violence towards an inanimate object.....

Lovely guy - thanks for the memories

BTW, did Franck not lead the troops out to the Marseillaise at a home game against St Mirren - coming through the rubble of the old West/new West construction site?

sixtwo
24-02-2011, 09:27 PM
When Sir Franck honoured us by wearing the green I attended games home and away. I had a few friends who played in the spl and one mate was a guy called keigan parker. I remember going along to watch us play St Johnstone and I told my father in law this is the day that franck's age would tell and Parkers youthful enthusiasm and electric pace would expose him.
How wrong I was. What I watched was a master at work. It was like watching a man have a kick about in the park with his son. Even though Franck had lost a yard or two he was so clever he was always first to the ball. He was calm. He had a presence like no other player i have seen at Easter road in 30 years. His passing was inch perfect. His touch was superb. Whenever we scored his smile would lift an already jubilant crowd!

Franck Sauzee is an absolute legend!:not worth

erin go bragh
24-02-2011, 09:34 PM

guy was total class, me and the laddie met him at the above presentation and the great man spent 10 mins talking and signing and doing photos with everyone [everyone present got to sign a book and put in a comment] the great man when presented with his gift from the fans said it ment more to him than the european cup [with the lucky 400 of us there gave him his last rendition of "sauzee there's only one sauzee" totaly amazing , my son was only 11 at the time and was moaning cause i made him wear a shirt and dress trousers [when we went up to the table le god was at he said to my son " you look very smart young man " total gentleman of a man and a total hibs legend . ps he did say he would be comming over to take in a game in the future :not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

Jonnyboy
24-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Folks

Ted's been reading the thread and is thrilled with the response

Keep em coming :thumbsup:

Bishop Hibee
24-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Difficult to add much to what has been said but I'll give a few personal memories.

I was abroad for the 'great adventure' 98/99 season and heard all about how good he'd been on my return. Says me " Aye, but that was against Div 1 teams, he'll no be as good in the premier league." What a load of crap that was. He was BETTER than I'd been told!

I fondly recall him stepping up to take a free-kick a few yards outside the box at home to St Mirren. Franck knew where the ball was going, the Hibs fans knew where the ball was going, the St Mirren keeper knew where the ball was going but couldn't stop it raging into the net.

A legend who loved and I'm sure still loves Hibs.:not worth

H18SScottW
24-02-2011, 09:55 PM
C'est Magnifique!

Thread of the year so far IMHO. There's a lump in my throat at the memories brought back by these posts.

Red, White and Blue France tops appearing at Hibs games with God or Sauzee on the back :not worth

The free kick at home to Falkirk at the end of the 1st Division season in '99 :not worth I'd made that day my stag do and got on the pitch at the end too.

So so sad the way it ended. I remember being told at work that the club and Franck had parted company and I was, honestly, close to tears. I don't mind admitting it.

But for all the good times, the goals, the inspiration to others, the sheer quality of football, the gentlemanly conduct on and off the pitch (did he not get sent off from in front of the old East on one occasion and apologised to both the opponent and the referee before walking off?) and the love, heart and soul he gave to our club, merci Franck Sauzee :boo hoo:

:not worth :sauzee:

hibsbollah
24-02-2011, 10:08 PM
C'est Magnifique!

Thread of the year so far IMHO. There's a lump in my throat at the memories brought back by these posts.

Red, White and Blue France tops appearing at Hibs games with God or Sauzee on the back :not worth

The free kick at home to Falkirk at the end of the 1st Division season in '99 :not worth I'd made that day my stag do and got on the pitch at the end too.

So so sad the way it ended. I remember being told at work that the club and Franck had parted company and I was, honestly, close to tears. I don't mind admitting it.

But for all the good times, the goals, the inspiration to others, the sheer quality of football, the gentlemanly conduct on and off the pitch (did he not get sent off from in front of the old East on one occasion and apologised to both the opponent and the referee before walking off?) and the love, heart and soul he gave to our club, merci Franck Sauzee :boo hoo:

:not worth :sauzee:

Soppy...
But true.

FranckSuzy
24-02-2011, 10:11 PM
*From Wikipedia "Welsh describes his attributes as follows:
'At Hibs, his legs may have been heavier than of old, but like all gifted footballers easing into the veteran years, he made up for this with his incredible vision and anticipation. Sauzee invariably sensed exactly where the ball was going next and made everything look so easy. Instead of dictating from the midfield, he stepped back to do it from the sweeper's position, yet still loved to surge forward and was always a goal threat.
Striding on to the park like a casual colossus, his presence was simultaneously an inspiration and a calming influence on those around him, both on the field and in the stands. Some players often appear bigger than their chosen sport; they have a grace and presence that seems to throw aside the shackles of its limitations. Franck Sauzee possessed the bearing of a man who truly understood not just the beautiful game, but the world in general and his place in it'." Amen :not worth

Hibby D
24-02-2011, 10:17 PM
There was a dvd made of the presentation made to him, i had one in fact most of it was taken with my video camera. I have since lost that dvd, does anyone still have one, and could i get a copy of it?

I do :smug:

And yes you can - I'll make a copy* and bring it to the pub on saturday.

Free drinks all day for me I think :wink:

*It'll be ***** quality tho....camera man was ***** :greengrin

I think Ted should be advised that after scoring THAT goal in the Millenium Derby it was actually me Franck was running the full length of the pitch towards. :sauzee:

H18SScottW
24-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Soppy...
But true.

:agree: What can I say ... it was amour :blushie: :wink:

To quote the complete antithesis of Franck Sauzee; Vinnie Jones (in 'Lock Stock') ... "It's been emotional"

And how did the joke go? What would you do if you came home to find Franck Sauzee making love to your wife? Get back doon the stairs and make the man a cup of coffee of course!

lyonhibs
24-02-2011, 10:21 PM
The only player I've ever got on the back of my shirt and a bona fida Hibs hero

Quite apart from his anticipation, touch, passing, tackling, heading and shooting, it was simply an aura about the man, that it would be alright because we had Sauzee on the pitch. That back 3 of Sauzee, Fenwick and Smith, with Franck mopping up and getting things going whilst the other 2 did the marking, is the best defensive unit I've ever seen at ER.

He just oozed class from every pore, not to mention his undoubted qualities as a man and his love for the club.

GGTTH.

KWJ
24-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Can still picture the Scotsman's picture of him the day he left. Was a proper sad face. Horrible :boo hoo:
http://editorial.jpress.co.uk/web/Upload/SCOT/2002/02/22//TH1_2202saub.jpg

Stantons Angel
24-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Franck was a gentleman and a truly great player, the only one fitting enough to fill the no 4 jersey worn so proudly as Pat Stanton! This alone is the biggest accolade any player could get. I just loved him!

Along with everyone else i have the memories of him running towards us at the Pink Bus Shelter that day, i remember him kicking that bench when he had to come off against AEK Athens, losing his teeth against hearts and the blood running down his face. These are special memories of a very special man who is greatly missed.

My best memory you may think is not worth mentioning but to us the supporters it meant so much at the time. He with other members of the team were invited to the Hibs Supporters Association Player of the Year presentation dinner. My young friend had just turned 18yrs old and a group of us went along to celebrate this and to see the presentations.

During the evening i rather akwardly asked him if he would mind coming with me and presenting my young friend with a birthday cake from us for her 18th.

He smiled that smile and said "of course i will" took my hand and we went out to the kitchen to get the cake. My friends were agog with disbelief, the young girl asked where i was going with Franck..... He helped me put the candles on the cake and thanked me for asking him to do something for a supporter of the"eeeebs" He carried the cake into the hall and everyone started to sing Happy Birthday to her complete embarassment. He wished her happy birthday and leaned over to kiss her cheek, she turned away and he held her face and said "no no, i am a frenchman, we kiss twice" and planked another kiss on her other cheek. He was absolutely marvelous and made my young friends birthday a very special memory for us all.

I thanked him for doing this and all he said was " i am a hibbeeee too" with a great big smile on his face.

As i say the only man capable of stepping in "God's" footsteps! A legend and an example for any young player.

Ah memories..................:not worth

Shrekko
24-02-2011, 11:06 PM
My memory is a bit hazy but didnt he do something similar to Neil Lennon at Easter Road? Lennon tried to charge him down and he dinked it over his head and took it down with his toe at the other side?

Cant wait for the book.

I could be wrong but I'm almost certain it was Henrik Larsson who was closing him down. Midweek game which we lost 1-0 with a late goal from Petrov I think. The thing about the bit of skill was that Franck looked like he was off balance and I was thinking he'd do well to clear it, but as you say he used the tip of his toe and drew it back towards the way he was leaning and the opponents momentum (Larsson or Lennon!!) took him running past Franck in the same direction the ball seemed to be travelling. It was a long through ball which he probably took at close to chest height.

I also remember the game already mentioned when he was up against Keigan Parker who was the new bright thing and made him look like a 12 year old boy when in fact he'd been looking great against almost everyone else.

The game that sticks out for me though was a 1-1 draw against Celtic at Parkhead with Marc Libbra scoring for us. I remember Franck had to go off injured a few minutes from time and got warm applause from the Celtic fans in the main stand- very rare for a player from one of the 'diddy teams' I'd have thought. Celtic were well on top that night but created very little because of the way Sauzee marshalled the defence. It was backs to the wall but he still looked majestic every time he was on the ball and I remember reading a Celtic forum that night where a lot of their fans were talking about how he strolled about like he owned the place (in a very complimentary way). Magic to think of a Hibs player doing that.

hibs62
25-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Awww. This is a great read! Can't wait for the book! The memories on the pitch are vast and off the pitch too. The 6-2 game was fantastic but the 3-0 tynie win was possibly even better!

The farewell 'Franck Sauzee Appreciation Society' dinner was one of the highlights of the footballing side of my life (annoyingly i lost my DVD of the occasion during a house move)! I met him once in a bar in the West End and competely embarrassed myself by kissing his feet (well his shoes!). I still cringe thinking about doing this (alcohol was involved) but then I can say I have kissed the best footballing feet I have ever seen at Easter Road.

A truly beautiful footballer and gentleman.

Haymaker
25-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Did he not also take the piss out of Mark Burchill who was being touted as "Scotlands Micheal Owen" at Celtc? Im pretty sure it was a late Sunday game on sky and Im sure it was 2-2 (Kenny Miller with both IIRC?) and I seem to recall the ball being pumped long, Burchill racing for it only for Le God to calmly dink it over his head?

My memory is a little hazy as it was along time ago!

DaveF
25-02-2011, 11:59 AM
The Sauzee effect - Making Paul Fenwick and Gary Smith appear as total footballers.

Hell, even I could probably look semi decent if I knew I had Sauzee talking me through a game :greengrin

I wonder what Fenwick and Smith made of that time? Would be good to read interviews with them on having Sauzee play behind them.

Jonnyboy
25-02-2011, 10:24 PM
The Sauzee effect - Making Paul Fenwick and Gary Smith appear as total footballers.

Hell, even I could probably look semi decent if I knew I had Sauzee talking me through a game :greengrin

I wonder what Fenwick and Smith made of that time? Would be good to read interviews with them on having Sauzee play behind them.

Maybe Ted will ask them Dave :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
26-02-2011, 12:08 AM
BTW, did Franck not lead the troops out to the Marseillaise at a home game against St Mirren - coming through the rubble of the old West/new West construction site?

Indeed, IIRC he was sporting an ill-advised bleached/blue-rinse hair style at the time.

That game finished 4-2 - Franck scored from an indirect free kick, Zitelli got two and wee Russell finished the job.

Oh Christ, the memories... :dizzy:

poolman
26-02-2011, 11:12 AM
That's the third time i've read all of this thread :thumbsup:

Prob wont be the last

Franck, loved the way he said Eeeebs :thumbsup:

Mac
27-02-2011, 02:09 PM
He is also one of the few players that even the yams would admit was a fantastic player and gentleman, that should certainly tell you just how good he was.

Iggy Pope
27-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Franck was a gentleman and a truly great player, the only one fitting enough to fill the no 4 jersey worn so proudly as Pat Stanton! This alone is the biggest accolade any player could get. I just loved him!

Along with everyone else i have the memories of him running towards us at the Pink Bus Shelter that day, i remember him kicking that bench when he had to come off against AEK Athens, losing his teeth against hearts and the blood running down his face. These are special memories of a very special man who is greatly missed.

My best memory you may think is not worth mentioning but to us the supporters it meant so much at the time. He with other members of the team were invited to the Hibs Supporters Association Player of the Year presentation dinner. My young friend had just turned 18yrs old and a group of us went along to celebrate this and to see the presentations.

During the evening i rather akwardly asked him if he would mind coming with me and presenting my young friend with a birthday cake from us for her 18th.

He smiled that smile and said "of course i will" took my hand and we went out to the kitchen to get the cake. My friends were agog with disbelief, the young girl asked where i was going with Franck..... He helped me put the candles on the cake and thanked me for asking him to do something for a supporter of the"eeeebs" He carried the cake into the hall and everyone started to sing Happy Birthday to her complete embarassment. He wished her happy birthday and leaned over to kiss her cheek, she turned away and he held her face and said "no no, i am a frenchman, we kiss twice" and planked another kiss on her other cheek. He was absolutely marvelous and made my young friends birthday a very special memory for us all.

I thanked him for doing this and all he said was " i am a hibbeeee too" with a great big smile on his face.

As i say the only man capable of stepping in "God's" footsteps! A legend and an example for any young player.

Ah memories..................:not worth

This post has me close to tears......
:not worth

Iggy Pope
27-02-2011, 02:15 PM
I do :smug:

And yes you can - I'll make a copy* and bring it to the pub on saturday.

Free drinks all day for me I think :wink:

*It'll be ***** quality tho....camera man was ***** :greengrin

I think Ted should be advised that after scoring THAT goal in the Millenium Derby it was actually me Franck was running the full length of the pitch towards. :sauzee:

In yer dreams
:greengrin

HibeeSince85
27-02-2011, 02:24 PM
You read this thread and you just miss him, can't wait for this book, hopefully once published Franck can come home to see us again.

HibbyKeith
27-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Growing up a hibby you were always aware just how big a player Pat Stanton was for hibs, all the older guys would tell you he was one of the best to wear the shirt, so being too young and not having that privilege, i can honestly say that Franck Sauzée was my version of their Pat Stanton.

Without question my favorite hibs player EVER! so much so I've a female cat at home named Frankie (no way was the other half letting me call it franck) and a choc Lab appropriately named "Sauzée"

For such a big guy his first touch was tremendous, great vision and then with what looked unbelievable ease the ability to spread a pass 50 yards. It was a lesson in fitba every time he stepped onto the park.

Only sour note was the way it all ended. would LOVE to have Franck come back to Easter Road for a proper supporter send off.

If i had one word for Mr Sauzée it would simply be..

LEGEND