PDA

View Full Version : (Greggs) Possible new signing- big name centre half

Makalambay
23-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Heard we might be interested in a CH currently at Forfar, Michael Bolochoweckyj.

Apparently used to work with Gareth Evans at Alloa. Free agent at end of the season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bolochoweckyj

.Sean.
23-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Expect the experts on here to shoot him down on here already!

SRHibs
23-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Sorry, but if he's still playing semi-pro at 26, then it seems he's probably found his level.

Golden Bear
23-02-2011, 04:14 PM
It's difficult to argue that he's a big named centre half.

macca70
23-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Sorry, but if he's still playing semi-pro at 26, then it seems he's probably found his level.

Maybe he's never been given a chnce at a higher level.

Sometimes you need to be in the right place at the right time to get the break or chance you need to make it at a higher level.

Watford signed a player called Jay Demerrit when he was 25 from a Non league team called Northwood.

He then went on to make 188 appearances for them over 5 years and got into USA International team.

Sylar
23-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Seen him twice against Livingston this season and he's decent enough looking player, but I doubt he's good enough for the SPL.

Good in the air, but quite slow :agree:

superfurryhibby
23-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Maybe he's ever been given a chnce at a higher level.

Sometimes you need to be in the right place at the right time to get the break or chance you need to make it at a higher level.

I believe that talent will usually find it's way, all things being equal.

iwasthere1972
23-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Heard we might be interested in a CH currently at Forfar, Michael Bolochoweckyj.

Apparently used to work with Gareth Evans at Alloa. Free agent at end of the season.

If we do sign him I would be interested to see the song suggestions for this one.

--------
23-02-2011, 04:46 PM
If we do sign him I would be interested to see the song suggestions for this one.

And how long it takes the guys in the shop to learn to spell his name on the backs of the shirts...

Do you get your money back if they spell his name wrongly?

iwasthere1972
23-02-2011, 04:49 PM
And how long it takes the guys in the shop to learn to spell his name on the backs of the shirts...

Do you get your money back if they spell his name wrongly?

£11.05 just for the letters. Think I'll just get Smith.

ivan03
23-02-2011, 04:49 PM

im friends with his sister, its pronounced.... ball o kih vesky. haha. ukrainian.

Piqué
23-02-2011, 05:09 PM
If CC thinks he is good enough then I believe he is good enough.

aberhibsfc
23-02-2011, 05:19 PM
An Edinburgh lad, dunno much about his pedigree having never seen him play. Getting to the top table a bit later in his career, but who knows, maybe it's his time.

One thing that grabbed me with this potential signing, despite being a born Scot, his Polish name may encourage some of Edinburgh's Polish community along to ER, what a boost that could bring in terms of support and revenue.

James70
23-02-2011, 05:29 PM
We already have two central defenders waiting patiently for their chance, Stephens and Moyes. Surely we should be seeing how good they are before bringing in someone from the 2nd division?

ginger_rice
23-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I'll try to find out tomorrow, I work beside Craig Tully who played with the guy at East Stirling.

ginger_rice
23-02-2011, 05:33 PM
One thing that springs to mind is that it's not that long ago since we signed a slightly older CH from the bottom reaches of the English Leagues, he turned out not too bad.

Bunter
23-02-2011, 05:43 PM
And how old was Ivan Sproule when we signed him? Was the Ulster league his level?

J-C
23-02-2011, 10:40 PM

Was Ian Wright not still playing semi pro at that about 23-24 ish before being snapped up.

jakki
23-02-2011, 10:51 PM

Watford signed a player called Jay Demerrit when he was 25 from a Non league team called Northwood.

He then went on to make 188 appearances for them over 5 years and got into USA International team.

Jack Reilly played one game for Hibs as goalie and went on to play in the World Cup Semi Finals for Australia and a Legend , he was still crap, even if I say so me being a Jakki fan :thumbsup:

The Harp Awakes
23-02-2011, 10:51 PM
If CC thinks he is good enough then I believe he is good enough.

Nail on the head ro me:agree:

Early days but the players CC has signed so far look decent.

aussie_hibee
23-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Was Ian Wright not still playing semi pro at that about 23-24 ish before being snapped up.

I might be wrong but I'm sure it was closer to 28.
Exactly who I was going to mention.

bingo70
23-02-2011, 10:57 PM
darren jackson and davie weir didn't start playing pro fitbaw till they were about 24 years old.....but that said i'm pretty confident we won't be signing this guy.

One thing i have noticed though....story so far seems to thinks every single player in world football has no pace....just how ****ing fast are you man? :greengrin

yekimevol
23-02-2011, 10:59 PM

was rob jones not found at about this age ???

bingo70
23-02-2011, 11:07 PM

nah, bobby jones was fully pro, had won player of the year for his club that done well in league one and had a few top clubs after him.

Not a dig at the suggestion or our potential signing but ive seen jones name pop up a few times in threads like this but RJ was a relatively high profile signing for us and nothing like a lower league gamble like someone like sproule was.

sauzee's-socks
23-02-2011, 11:07 PM

The real question is, who sets up Wikipedia pages for these lower league slumdogs?

GraniteCityHibs
23-02-2011, 11:14 PM

DJ Campbell played non-league football until he was 24. Currently playing and scoring goals in the Premiership!

SRHibs
24-02-2011, 12:29 AM
I might be wrong but I'm sure it was closer to 28.
Exactly who I was going to mention.

You're kidding right? Ian Wright was 21 at most. And at 21, even he was an exception to the rule.

Obviously I'd give this guy a chance if he came to Hibs, but chances are he's going to be gash.

Big90inOz
24-02-2011, 02:44 AM
I always have a chuckle when the "experts" come out proclaiming players are not good enough for Hibs, sorry to disappoint you guys but the manager doesn't base his signings on what's said on Hibs.Net :agree:
CC has not signed a failure yet, grant they are not world beaters but then again we don't operate in that market. All he can do is try to get players in who are an improvement on what we have or at least have the potential to be better.

WindyMiller
24-02-2011, 02:47 AM
You're kidding right? Ian Wright was 21 at most. And at 21, even he was an exception to the rule.

Obviously I'd give this guy a chance if he came to Hibs, but chances are he's going to be gash.

Wright was 21 but he came straight from non-league to C.Palace, who were in the second tier of the English League.
So yes, Wright was younger, but the step-up was bigger.

Jim44
24-02-2011, 06:34 AM

Or the boring 'nicknaming' that footballers use for 99% of fellow players ................... BolochoweckyjY

Green_one
24-02-2011, 11:25 AM
darren jackson and davie weir didn't start playing pro fitbaw till they were about 24 years old.....but that said i'm pretty confident we won't be signing this guy.

One thing i have noticed though....story so far seems to thinks every single player in world football has no pace....just how ****ing fast are you man? :greengrin

Jackson was playing with MeddowBank when he was just a boy. I saw him several times. He was at Newcastle when he was 21. Weir went to Uni, so he is not a good example but again I am pretty sure he played for falkirk before he was 24. This late playing thing is a fantasy . Ian Wright was 'late' but still early 20s.

--------
24-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Well, this bloke cannot POSSIBLY be slower over the ground than Jones.

I've seen pints of milk turn faster than Jones. :rolleyes:

aberhibsfc
24-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Calderwood has a 100% record of quality signings in my book so far. Don't know what's happening with Thornhill at the mo, but he looks like he'll be good too.

If Calderwood rates him then give him a chance, anyway, he's only looking at him. He'll probably look at dozens of players and linked with many more. It's not a foregone that looking at him means he'll sign him.

With regards posts of more leaving than coming in. That's fine with me. I'd happily lose some of the first teamers and bring in a smaller number of players akin to the signings he's made so far. That coupled with the integration of some of our promising youngsters and I think we'll have decent balance, development and I'm a bit cheerier looking forward to the summer and the new season. This season has been a write-off, except for giving CC the chance to see the squad and make his decisions about who he'd like to retain or let go.

Lets get SPL status assured then look forward to next season. I think the decline is coming to a halt and we'll start to enjoy our football again. But not so much this season, it's just going to be about points and survival.

--------
24-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Calderwood has a 100% record of quality signings in my book so far. Don't know what's happening with Thornhill at the mo, but he looks like he'll be good too.

If Calderwood rates him then give him a chance, anyway, he's only looking at him. He'll probably look at dozens of players and linked with many more. It's not a foregone that looking at him means he'll sign him.

With regards posts of more leaving than coming in. That's fine with me. I'd happily lose some of the first teamers and bring in a smaller number of players akin to the signings he's made so far. That coupled with the integration of some of our promising youngsters and I think we'll have decent balance, development and I'm a bit cheerier looking forward to the summer and the new season. This season has been a write-off, except for giving CC the chance to see the squad and make his decisions about who he'd like to retain or let go.

Lets get SPL status assured then look forward to next season. I think the decline is coming to a halt and we'll start to enjoy our football again. But not so much this season, it's just going to be about points and survival.

:top marks

ALF TUPPER
24-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Michael Bolochoweckyj :greengrin

Will give at try at work this afternoon :agree:

Sylar
24-02-2011, 12:27 PM

:greengrin

I can't recall who else I've criticised for a lack of pace recently, but this guy certainly wasn't quick when I've seen him.

WindyMiller
24-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Lots of .netters have called for Booth, Moyes and Byrne to be brought back from loan at such clubs as East Fife, Brechin and Stirling Albion, but we've to write-off this guy because he's played at that level.
:confused:

SRHibs
24-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Lots of .netters have called for Booth, Moyes and Byrne to be brought back from loan at such clubs as East Fife, Brechin and Stirling Albion, but we've to write-off this guy because he's played at that level.
:confused:

And what ages are these players that we're calling back? It's hardly the same thing.

This guy is 26, and is playing semi-pro. I'm not saying I won't support him if he signs, but the odds are he's not going to be successful at an SPL club who are looking to place in the top 4 consistently.

The Gorf
24-02-2011, 01:30 PM
£11.05 just for the letters. Think I'll just get Smith.

I'll just get TE :greengrin

--------
24-02-2011, 01:53 PM
nah, bobby jones was fully pro, had won player of the year for his club that done well in league one and had a few top clubs after him.

Not a dig at the suggestion or our potential signing but ive seen jones name pop up a few times in threads like this but RJ was a relatively high profile signing for us and nothing like a lower league gamble like someone like sproule was.

I think you'll find Grimsby were in Football League Two the season before he came to us. League Two isn't a very high standard of football, actually.

We paid 6 figures of cash for him, but IIRC when the word got out he was coming to us, the reaction was along the lines of, "Who's Rob Jones?" and, "Grimsby? Why are we signing players from Grimsby?"

IMO not so much a high-profile signing, much more a lower-league gamble.

And as I say, I've seen a pint of milk turn faster.

Golden Bear
24-02-2011, 01:57 PM
I think you'll find Grimsby were in Football League Two the season before he came to us. League Two isn't a very high standard of football, actually.

We paid 6 figures of cash for him, but IIRC when the word got out he was coming to us, the reaction was along the lines of, "Who's Rob Jones?" and, "Grimsby? Why are we signing players from Grimsby?"

Big Rab was lighteninq quick when compared with a couple of the likely lads in today's Hibs team!

--------
24-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Big Rab was lighteninq quick when compared with a couple of the likely lads in today's Hibs team!

Really? :rolleyes:

Going in a straight line, maybe, but he could be turned very easily, and he tended to drop back deeper and deeper towards his own goal as the game went on. This was why he got such a reputation as "a great backs-to-the-wall defender" - of he'd had the wit to push up and hold a higher line we wouldn't have had our backs to the wall, and wwe wouldn't have spent so much time defending around our own penalty spot.

He wasn't too quick on the uptake, IMO, and should NEVER have been appointed captain.

J-C
24-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Michael Bolochoweckyj :greengrin

Will give at try at work this afternoon :agree:

'Cheek-by-jowl, comic halo.'

Celibacy Jock Hole Whom

Golden Bear
24-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Really? :rolleyes:

Going in a straight line, maybe, but he could be turned very easily, and he tended to drop back deeper and deeper towards his own goal as the game went on. This was why he got such a reputation as "a great backs-to-the-wall defender" - of he'd had the wit to push up and hold a higher line we wouldn't have had our backs to the wall, and wwe wouldn't have spent so much time defending around our own penalty spot.

He wasn't too quick on the uptake, IMO, and should NEVER have been appointed captain.

It's all about opinions as they say.

I've watched Hibs for more years than I care to remember and Rob Jones is certainly one of the best central defenders I've seen in a Hibs jersey.

An inspirational captain in fact and I'd welcome him back to ER on one leg.

ginger_rice
24-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Had a word with my mate today, he reckons this lad was with Hibs as a youth, reckons he's a handy player, and would be interested to see if he could cut it in the SPL.

One thing though is that he apparently has a very good job in the financial sector in Edinburgh.

stubru59
24-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Had a word with my mate today, he reckons this lad was with Hibs as a youth, reckons he's a handy player, and would be interested to see if he could cut it in the SPL.

One thing though is that he apparently has a very good job in the financial sector in Edinburgh.

We'll never be able to compete with the money being paid in the financial sector.

Plus, ... plus ... when it goes tits up, the tax payer bails them out. Forget it.

SloopJB
24-02-2011, 09:03 PM
We'll never be able to compete with the money being paid in the financial sector.

Plus, ... plus ... when it goes tits up, the tax payer bails them out. Forget it.
But surely if it goes tits up the bank will put someone on the board to assist with the running of the club.

sesoim
25-02-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't mind if we have the odd punt and sign a lower division player who MIGHT end up being decent for us. But central defence has been our problem area for a while and I'd rather we made signing two good quality players in that position a priority. We already have a few CBs who aren't quite good enough without signing another one who will need a while to find his feet.

Steve-O
26-02-2011, 01:33 AM

If this guy is anywhere near as good as Rob Jones was for us then I'd welcome him with open arms :agree:

whereswallace?
26-02-2011, 09:46 AM
My first reaction to this thread was, hes not good enough for Hibs. He's a good solid defender, great organiser and talker and brilliant in the air (his best asset). I think his lack of pace may prove costly in the SPL. Id love to see him get his chance but possibly a step too far.A good example of a player that has stepped up and held his own coming through the lower leagues is Darren Mcgregor at St Mirren.

DirtyDeeds
26-02-2011, 01:21 PM
My first reaction to this thread was, hes not good enough for Hibs. He's a good solid defender, great organiser and talker and brilliant in the air (his best asset). I think his lack of pace may prove costly in the SPL. Id love to see him get his chance but possibly a step too far.A good example of a player that has stepped up and held his own coming through the lower leagues is Darren Mcgregor at St Mirren.

Agree with all that. Immense aerially but also has a bit of a suspect temperament, picked up couple of reds in his E. Stirling and Alloa days which were a lot to do with losing the plot. Known the guy for many years so would be great to see him 'make it' with Hibs but just dont think hes quite got it. Still see no harm in giving it a try, lost cost and low risk and would run through walls to pull on the jersey, work situation permitting.

Forza Fred
26-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Jack Reilly played one game for Hibs as goalie and went on to play in the World Cup Semi Finals for Australia and a Legend , he was still crap, even if I say so me being a Jakki fan :thumbsup:

And pray tell, which SEMI FINAL was that?