PDA

View Full Version : Legend - Enough Is Too Much

Speedway
23-02-2011, 12:53 PM
For clarification purposes - no player in the current Hibs squad is a Hibs 'Legend' as in a player who will be remembered as being among the cream of the clubs players in history, for generations to come.

Riordan MIGHT get there. Sodje and Brown will not.

On that basis, who is a true and actual 'Hibs Legend'?

My starting suggestions

Hannan
Farmer x 3
Bobby Coombe
The Famous Five
Whelahan (sp)
Stanton
Kidd
Sauzee
Jones
Murdo McLeod

Can't think of any others.

Will we really be discussing Edwards, Brownlie, Callaghan etc in 30 years from now?

WindyMiller
23-02-2011, 01:02 PM
For clarification purposes - no player in the current Hibs squad is a Hibs 'Legend' as in a player who will be remembered as being among the cream of the clubs players in history, for generations to come.

My starting suggestions

Hannan
Farmer x 3
Bobby Coombe
The Famous Five
Whelahan (sp)
Stanton
Kidd
Sauzee
Jones
Murdo McLeod

Will we really be discussing Edwards, Brownlie, Callaghan etc in 30 years from now?

Baker.
We're talking about him 50 years after he left.

CMac1988
23-02-2011, 01:05 PM
'Whelehan' Oh so close... Whelahan. Nothing a quick google won't solve.

Baker?!

lapsedhibee
23-02-2011, 01:07 PM

You won't as you'll be 106 ... but Brownlie was very special, so aye.

Wakeyhibee
23-02-2011, 01:08 PM

My starting suggestions

Hannan
Farmer x 3
Bobby Coombe
The Famous Five
Whelahan (sp)
Stanton
Kidd
Sauzee
Jones
Murdo McLeod

Callaghan shouldn't be in their with brownlie and edwards really although a decent players. My vote is for Joe Tortolano, over 250 'appearances', one of the last players to actually earn a testimonial for 10 years service (but don't recall him getting one). Only player I can recall getting sent off in a testimonial.

Absolute legend and I will be talking about him still in 30 years time if my ticker allows.

iwasthere1972
23-02-2011, 01:11 PM

My starting suggestions

Hannan
Farmer x 3
Bobby Coombe
The Famous Five
Whelahan (sp)
Stanton
Kidd
Sauzee
Jones
Murdo McLeod

Eh you forgot about Shades, Arthur Duncan and Jimmy O'Rourke.

Speedway
23-02-2011, 01:13 PM
You won't as you'll be 106 ... but Brownlie was very special, so aye.

You trying to suggest that .net only exists in the physical realm?

Speedway
23-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Eh you forgot about Shades, Arthur Duncan and Jimmy O'Rourke.

O'Rourke yes, Shades and Duncan as Hibs Legends you're saying?

iwasthere1972
23-02-2011, 01:16 PM
O'Rourke yes, Shades and Duncan as Hibs Legends you're saying?

That's a BIG FAT YES to all three Mr Speedway. :agree:

lapsedhibee
23-02-2011, 01:16 PM
You trying to suggest that .net only exists in the physical realm?

Scared to answer that in case Two Carpets tries to argue that it's against the laws of nature for deid Hibee fans to be discussing the relative merits of deid Hibee players.

H18sry
23-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Cropley :agree:

SRHibs
23-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Rod Petrie.:not worth

lapsedhibee
23-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Cropley :agree:

If Crops is included perhaps you'd have to include the whole Tornadoes team, starting with the goalie that went on to become a vet after he retired from fitba.

hibbymac
23-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Chic Charnley, Butch Wilkins ....... Tam McCourt :offski:

Golden Bear
23-02-2011, 01:22 PM

My starting suggestions

Hannan
Farmer x 3
Bobby Coombe
The Famous Five
Whelahan (sp)
Stanton
Kidd
Sauzee
Jones
Murdo McLeod

You've included Sauzee (great player without a doubt but maybe not at ER long enough to be considered a legend).

However on the same grounds I'll nominate George Best - surely the finest player ever to wear the famous jersey.

iwasthere1972
23-02-2011, 01:23 PM
If Crops is included perhaps you'd have to include the whole Tornadoes team, starting with the goalie that went on to become a vet after he retired from fitba.

Well in that case I would include all the players who pumped Naples 5-0.

poolman
23-02-2011, 01:25 PM

My starting suggestions

Hannan
Farmer x 3
Bobby Coombe
The Famous Five
Whelahan (sp)
Stanton
Kidd
Sauzee
Jones
Murdo McLeod

Never in a million years

Septimus
23-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Jock Govan, Tommy Younger. The definition of legend is difficult but if you mean good players who showed some loyalty to their club then that pair make the grade

Speedway
23-02-2011, 01:27 PM
You've included Sauzee (great player without a doubt but maybe not at ER long enough to be considered a legend).

However on the same grounds I'll nominate George Best - surely the finest player ever to wear the famous jersey.

I've included Sauzee as his 'legend' about a Champions League winner playing for Hibs will continue for a long time yet.

Speedway
23-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Never in a million years

Cup winning captain of 'the team that wouldn't die', no?

KeithTheHibby
23-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Callaghan shouldn't be in their with brownlie and edwards really although a decent players. My vote is for Joe Tortolano, over 250 'appearances', one of the last players to actually earn a testimonial for 10 years service (but don't recall him getting one). Only player I can recall getting sent off in a testimonial.

Absolute legend and I will be talking about him still in 30 years time if my ticker allows.

Torto was crap and how he amassed as many games as that is beyond me.

He is revered now however anyone old enough to remember him would have him in the pish category.

A cult figure at best, a bit like Ally Brazil.

Leave the legend status to guys like Reilly, Stanton and Baker.

poolman
23-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Cup winning captain of 'the team that wouldn't die', no?

Sorry Speedway, not for me

But that's what the board is all about....opinions :agree:

ancient hibee
23-02-2011, 02:07 PM

Nowhere near it even at his peak and certainly not when he was at Easter Road.

basehibby
23-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Sauzee is as legendary as they come in the modern age - I'd put Latapy in there as well - and (tin hat on) Ivan Sproule - for THAT hatrick only months after being bought for a pitance, for his big heart and electric pace and his "cut me and I'll bleed green" comments.

Also - how about Keith Keith Keith - for scoring in every round of our 1st cup win in 20 years?!?

jakki
23-02-2011, 02:18 PM
What about Peter Cormack? He did score against Real Madrid in that unforgettable match, for me any way and many crucial games before and after. :thumbsup:

Joe's ice cream
23-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Realy hard to define in a list who is and is not a Ledgend, as after all its based very much on individual experience and opinion, for me I have to have actualy seen them play, so on that and based on the impact they had on me and the team I would suggest

Murphy,
Collins (the player)
Goram

Spike Mandela
23-02-2011, 02:25 PM

My starting suggestions

Hannan
Farmer x 3
Bobby Coombe
The Famous Five
Whelahan (sp)
Stanton
Kidd
Sauzee
Jones
Murdo McLeod

Sorry but I think you will find that a striker who scores as many goals for Hibs as some memnbers of the Famous Five IS a legend and will always be considered so.

The continued lack of respect for Dereks acheivements at Hibs by many supporters continues to amaze me.

It makes me wonder if the people so readily discussed as legends on these type of threads had to suffer the lack of appreciation from the support when they were playing and only received the 'legend' recognition once the mists of time had elapsed.

I am old enough to have seen Stanton, Mcleod(Ally), MacNamara,Wright and Sauzee eras and love talking about the old days and the players thus making them legends. Derek is up there as well IMO.

Stevie Reid
23-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Mixu is for me for the hat-trick in the 6-2 game, I genuinely experienced a new emotion that night, we'd been due them that for sooooo long.

I appreciate that these are going to be contentious but they're in for me for being the best players I've seen play at Hibs: -

Sauzee
Latapy
JC
Michael O'Neill
Andy Goram

Deek should be included for his goals too.

Last Minute
23-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Keith, Keith, Keith

hibsbollah
23-02-2011, 03:11 PM
The use of 'legend' seems to be reserved for pre1980 players, i strongly suspect this is solely for the purpose for older fans to tell younger fans that their generation was infinitely better than the current or more recent one.

Its all nonsense; if i think Sauzee or Konte is a legend im entitled to say so without referring to the legend police :-)

Last Minute
23-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Mickey weir

Ritchie
23-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Keith, Keith, Keith

i was reading down this thread astonished that the leg-end that is Keith Wright hasnt had a mention!!

deffo a legend! :agree:

Wakeyhibee
23-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Torto was crap and how he amassed as many games as that is beyond me.

He is revered now however anyone old enough to remember him would have him in the pish category.

A cult figure at best, a bit like Ally Brazil.

Leave the legend status to guys like Reilly, Stanton and Baker.

Tongue firmly in cheek KTH, hence 'appearances' I saw him more than enough times myself to know he was a good servant but never a legend (being as kind as I can here).

LeithBoozy
23-02-2011, 03:58 PM
The full Hibs team, who took part in the 0-7 game will always be looked upon as legend's. :not worth

easty
23-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Riordan clearly qualifies as a legend, for me anyway. The amount of goals he's scored for us is more than enough to deserve it.

If I was picking 3 players for Hibs Legend status, who I remember watching, it'd be Keith, Frank, Deek. :thumbsup:

andudare2
23-02-2011, 04:10 PM
O'Rourke yes, Shades and Duncan as Hibs Legends you're saying? considering they were part of cup winning team, 0-7 winning team ., they most certainly are. still being spoken nearly 40 years down the line, so think they will fill anyone of a hibs persuasion that they are indeed legends. EDWARDS.:flag:

iwasthere1972
23-02-2011, 04:46 PM
What about Peter Cormack? He did score against Real Madrid in that unforgettable match, for me any way and many crucial games before and after. :thumbsup:

Just the mention of Peter Cormack (who some folk likened me to on the football field :greengrin) reminds me of a goal he scored from the half way line at ER about 1968. It was a cracker by the way.

So for that goal only - Legend.

superfurryhibby
23-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Legend is a much abused term. I feel players have to have given a fair bit of service to merit the accolade, they also have to have been a fairly outstanding talent. Stanton and the Famous Five have clearly attained that status. Every Hibs fans knows who they are and what their achievements.

It's hard to know who will be remembered for posterity. Who can name the other stalwarts of the championship winning teams of the late forties/early fifties. Most of us will know a few of them by name but they don't necessarilly trip of the tongue?

There are many fine players mentioned, Sauzee, John Collins, Keith Wright but I'm not sure that they will be recited by Hibees in forty years for now.

For what it's worth. I would take my hat off to all of the Tornadoes. They played a brand of football that will ensure that they are always remembered.

Personal favourites of mine include Pat Mc Ginlay, Gordon Hunter, Derek Riordan, Franck Sauzee, Alan Rough, Jackie MacNamara and John Collins. All of them were fantastic players for us. Not sure if any of them are legendary.

Ps: Joe Baker may have only played for HIbs for a few seasons but his goalscoring exploits would speak volumes for his entitlement to legendary status.

HibbyAndy
23-02-2011, 04:54 PM
If your going to include Murdo Mcleod a legend for being a cup winning captain then you can add Rob Jones?

Murdo - No

Riordan - Yes.

Keith Wright - Yes.

RoYO!
23-02-2011, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=Speedway;2742443]For clarification purposes - no player in the current Hibs squad is a Hibs 'Legend' as in a player who will be remembered as being among the cream of the clubs players in history, for generations to come.

If sodje scores the winner in the SC he's an instant legend, so who knows, can't rite anyone off

WindyMiller
23-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Just cause you've got a photae of you and Peter together on your bed.
:greengrin

Archie70
23-02-2011, 05:35 PM

My starting suggestions

Hannan
Farmer x 3
Bobby Coombe
The Famous Five
Whelahan (sp)
Stanton
Kidd
Sauzee
Jones
Murdo McLeod

I know these things are subjective but to suggest Murdo McLeod is a legend and Derek Riordan isn't :confused: McLeod couldn't lace his boots and if anyone knocks Riordan for his efforts, he puts in far more than McLeod ever did. He made George Best look fit and Joe Harper look slim!

erin-go-bragh87
23-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Riordan clearly qualifies as a legend, for me anyway. The amount of goals he's scored for us is more than enough to deserve it.

If I was picking 3 players for Hibs Legend status, who I remember watching, it'd be Keith, Frank, Deek. :thumbsup:

Exactly the same for me. The one legend who iwished have seen though is Lawrie Reilly. I reckon people think of Elvis or the beatles when they were too young to have seen them the same way I do about Reilly. Hes everything a legend should be!

Jones28
23-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Never in a million years

:agree:

His *****e punditry has put me right of Mcleod

heidtheba
23-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Mickey Weir
Keith
Gordon Hunter for ending 'that' run
oh
and one of my personal favourites...

Albert Kidd :not worth

ScottB
23-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Sauzee is as legendary as they come in the modern age - I'd put Latapy in there as well - and (tin hat on) Ivan Sproule - for THAT hatrick only months after being bought for a pitance, for his big heart and electric pace and his "cut me and I'll bleed green" comments.

Also - how about Keith Keith Keith - for scoring in every round of our 1st cup win in 20 years?!?

I agree, let's be honest here, I'd think the age you are has a big influence of those you consider legends for the club. So out of the time I've been watching I'd pick out Sauzee and Ivan as the standouts. Two guys that couldn't have come to us from more different backgrounds, but both would bleed green for the club.

And of course both are responsible for some cracking memories, and isn't that the key factor in a legend?

snooky
23-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Eric Stevenson canny be that far away.

EasterRoad4Ever
23-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I've included Sauzee as his 'legend' about a Champions League winner playing for Hibs will continue for a long time yet.

Sauzee = great player, loved the club, fantastic rapport with the Fans. Became "one of our own". Definitely a Legend.

erin go bragh
23-02-2011, 08:11 PM
If your going to include Murdo Mcleod a legend for being a cup winning captain then you can add Rob Jones?

Murdo - No

Riordan - Yes.

Keith Wright - Yes.
he did :wink: but not sure if that makes them legends, [ saying that they will always be renembered as cup winning captains :agree: so suppose they are,deeks and keith yes , wee latapy gets a vote from me as does john collins who as a player and manager did no bad , wee broonie was class as well but maybe no a legend but pretty close]
ggtth

.Sean.
23-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Keith Wright?

Enoch Showunmi?

HibeeSince85
23-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Few folk on this thread not sure about if Franck Sauzee is a Hibs legend,

Out of every living ex player of Hibs, who would be theone that would sell out the stadium if he were to return one half time.

Deserves Hibs legend status!

lyonhibs
23-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Mickey weir

Thank god - I thought I was going mad. Mickey Weir and Pat McGinlay are Hibs legends in my eyes - I'm more than aware that a lot of the older players mentioned probably merit the title, but those of my generation have somewhat slimmer pickings to choose from when nominating our Hibs legends.

iwasthere1972
23-02-2011, 09:32 PM

Out of every living ex player of Hibs, who would be theone that would sell out the stadium if he were to return one half time.

Scottish Cup captain of 1902. There would be queues all the way to the Forth Road Bridge.

erin-go-bragh87
23-02-2011, 09:37 PM

:top marks

sauzee's-socks
23-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Legendary players are not necessarily the best players. As long as they are remembered and talked about. On that basis I'm going for Yogi, Mixu, Sproule and Brown. Always liked Houchen but that's a stretch. As much as I try to forget him, Zibi is still remembered and probably will be for a few decades....:panic:

jakki
23-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Just cause you've got a photae of you and Peter together on your bed.
:greengrin

No because o that< I think he was a great player for Hibs.

and Aye, but we didnay get between sheets. I was a good girlie then.:thumbsup:

J-C
23-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Best
O'Rourke
Stanton
Shades ( 1 of the toughest tacklers in the business )
Famous 5
Brownlie( reckoned to be best in Europe before lag break)
Collins
Mixu
Sauzee( just because of his status in world football like Best )
Latapy

KWJ
23-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Surprised at the Arthur Duncan chat here, the guy is our all time most appearances and doesn't look like anyone's going to beat it. Assume Deeks is the most in current squad, how many has he had?

From my time watching it'd be Keith Keith Keith, Latapy & Sauzee.

KWJ
23-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Surprised at the Arthur Duncan chat here, the guy is our all time most appearances and doesn't look like anyone's going to beat it. Assume Deeks is the most in current squad, how many has he had?

From my time watching it'd be Keith Keith Keith, Latapy & Sauzee.

My cult heroes are Sodje, Matty Jack and Fabrice Henry.

Will we still be discussing the Matty Jack role and the unseen work of Brian Kerr in 40 years. Perhaps Enoch Showumni too.

Dinkydoo
24-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Here we go again telling people who they can and can't call a "Hibs legend" whilst it's an entirely subjective matter.

FWIW, out of the players I've personally seen play in the flesh I'd say the following are worthy of the Hibs legend status:

Brown (Scott)
Sauzee
Latapy
Riordan
Zitelli

Cue the responses telling me why I can't regard those players as a legend...etc :greengrin

basehibby
24-02-2011, 12:34 PM
I know these things are subjective but to suggest Murdo McLeod is a legend and Derek Riordan isn't :confused: McLeod couldn't lace his boots and if anyone knocks Riordan for his efforts, he puts in far more than McLeod ever did. He made George Best look fit and Joe Harper look slim!

Murdo was a very influential player for us - captaining the team to the 91 League Cup as he did - but the main reason he would be denied legendary Hibs status in my eyes is quite simply because when push comes to shove he's a Celtic man. Cut him and he'd bleed green and white right enough - but of the lesser non-original hooped variety - thus, though I've plenty time for Murdo, the honour of being a Hibees legend is denied him IMO.

PS - Deeks bleeds Hibees green and is a goal machine so he's in without a shadow of a doubt.

basehibby
24-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Thank god - I thought I was going mad. Mickey Weir and Pat McGinlay are Hibs legends in my eyes - I'm more than aware that a lot of the older players mentioned probably merit the title, but those of my generation have somewhat slimmer pickings to choose from when nominating our Hibs legends.

:agree: Fair enough - very good players both who were utter stalwarts for the Hibs

CabbageFan
24-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Andre McNeil
Steven Whittaker
Chris Hogg
Rob Jones
David Murphy
Ivan Sproule
Guillaume Beuzelin
Scott Brown
Lewis Stevenson
Steven Fletcher
Benji

Shelton Martis
Kevin McCann
Zouma
:flag:

PeeJay
24-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Andre McNeil
Steven Whittaker
Chris Hogg
Rob Jones
David Murphy
Ivan Sproule
Guillaume Beuzelin
Scott Brown
Lewis Stevenson
Steven Fletcher
Benji

Shelton Martis
Kevin McCann
Zouma
:flag:

Can't really argue with this - any Hibs team that wins something deserves legend status - even if it was after 1980 ... :agree:

skipster7
24-02-2011, 05:58 PM
nobodys mentioned the ladder :confused: