PDA

View Full Version : Question Has football violence ever discouraged you from attending matches?

iwasthere1972
23-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Perhaps this is a question for the older guys on the board who remember the bad old days and less for the younger guys who have only known all seated stadia and segregation.

I regularly watched Hibs from about 1966/67 when I attended my first match at Easter Road and watched the likes of Pat Stanton, Jim O'Rourke, Eric Stevenson etc grace us with their footballing skills up until about 1974 when I said enough is enough. Away days ( I travelled on the Pentland bus which left from the White Hart in the Grassmarket) normally consisted of fighting with the home fans before and after the match and on a fair number of occasions getting the bus windows "tanned in" either before or after the game, sometimes both. Luckily for me I was fairly fit at the time and could show many a person a clean pair of heels. :wink:

Anyway the long and short of it is I stopped going to see Hibs in about 1974 as the enjoyment was no longer there. Maybe that was partly due to results but I know I wasn't prepared to run the risk of running battles every week or so. Getting that bottled smashed over my head after a match with the Jam Tarts maybe made me see sense.

Thankfully those days are largely non-existent and despite recent results it's a joy to go and see the Hibees.

Discuss. :aok:

Killiehibbie
23-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Never stopped me wanting to go but I wasn't allowed to go to 79 Cup Final Replays after what happened at the first game.

Moulin Yarns
23-02-2011, 12:27 PM
The atmosphere of hatred at the Hearts game at Easter Road earlier this season brought back memories of the 70s. That made me vow not to go to another derby.

Stonewall
23-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Never stopped me wanting to go but I wasn't allowed to go to 79 Cup Final Replays after what happened at the first game.

Yeh didn't go to either of the 79 Cup Final replays either. The aftermath of the first game was the worst I've experienced - truly horrible. Not long after got my nose broken by a Hearts fan after a Derby (for the crime of walking up Broughton Street on my own) and didn't go back for a few years after that.

WHAM
23-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Heard a few stories about the aftermath of 79 cup final but what actually happened?

Think my old man may have been involved in a scuffle or few at that game involving a flag pole going up some deserving hun's nose. ouch

Killiehibbie
23-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Heard a few stories about the aftermath of 79 cup final but what actually happened?

Think my old man may have been involved in a scuffle or few at that game involving a flag pole going up some deserving hun's nose. ouch

The huns attacked anybody and everything they could after the game. I got a punch in the face from a man of about 30, I was 10 years old. Hardly a bus made it back without broken windows.

WindyMiller
23-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Perhaps this is a question for the older guys on the board who remember the bad old days and less for the younger guys who have only known all seated stadia and segregation.

I regularly watched Hibs from about 1966/67 when I attended my first match at Easter Road and watched the likes of Pat Stanton, Jim O'Rourke, Eric Stevenson etc grace us with their footballing skills up until about 1974 when I said enough is enough. Away days ( I travelled on the Pentland bus which left from the White Hart in the Grassmarket) normally consisted of fighting with the home fans before and after the match and on a fair number of occasions getting the bus windows "tanned in" either before or after the game, sometimes both. Luckily for me I was fairly fit at the time and could show many a person a clean pair of heels. :wink:

Anyway the long and short of it is I stopped going to see Hibs in about 1974 as the enjoyment was no longer there. Maybe that was partly due to results but I know I wasn't prepared to run the risk of running battles every week or so. Getting that bottled smashed over my head after a match with the Jam Tarts maybe made me see sense.

Thankfully those days are largely non-existent and despite recent results it's a joy to go and see the Hibees.

I was a regular on the Pentland bus from the days when we left from Waterloo Place and there were some right radges travelled then.

Thankfully they were on our side. :wink:

If I'm being honest, at that age, getting into battles was part of the day away.
:party::take that

iwasthere1972
23-02-2011, 01:09 PM
I was a regular on the Pentland bus from the days when we left from Waterloo Place and there were some right radges travelled then.

Thankfully they were on our side. :wink:

If I'm being honest, at that age, getting into battles was part of the day away.
:party::take that

Queensberry rules were fine :take that but getting darts thrown at us at Rugby Park wisnae. :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
23-02-2011, 01:37 PM
A lot of people have candidly admitted to me that the sense of danger gave them an added buzz, whether they were involved in football violence or not.

And when it got quieter, they simply stopped going.

jdships
23-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Had witenessed a few nasty incidents in around ER when the OF,Aberdeen/Hearts came visiting which were "par for the course " in 1970/80's and earlier
However after the Celtic V Hibs Leagur Cup Final of 1974/75 ( we lost 6-3) I vowed never ever to attend a match where Celtic FC were involved - and have never done so .
My son and I were on the lower covered terracing behind one of the goals and Celtic supporters were allowed behind/above us .
We had tumblers , excrement wrapped in paper , food tumblers etc thrown down on us . one glass ashtray hit a boy three along from us and split his head wide open.
This bombardment was almost continuous in the second half with no ptotection from security staff/polis
When we left the stadium , mostly quietly given the result, we were taunted by and spat at by Celtic supporters "held back" by grinning Glasgow polis.
No effort had been made ro disperse them
Our bus had no protection from Glasgow's finest and again Celtic yobs spat at and urinated against the coach.
Eventually the coach driver decided enough was enough and drove off leaving four of our lads to find their way home.
We as a group wrote to the Glasgow police complaining , with a copy to Celtic FC. We received a "stock answer" from a Chief Superintendant virtually accusing us of over reaction . From Celtic FC - ]NOT A WORD [/B] sadly exactly what we expected !
I don't hatr Celtic FC , it's a word I never use, but boy I dislike the club , its supporters and everything they stand for .

I don't have any time , either, for Rangers FC . The 1979 cup final first game will live long in my memory for all the wrong reasons plus their secterian nonsense . I haven't attended a match with them since then.

:flag:

Killiehibbie
23-02-2011, 01:45 PM
A lot of people have candidly admitted to me that the sense of danger gave them an added buzz, whether they were involved in football violence or not.

And when it got quieter, they simply stopped going.It certainly added a bit of excitement to trips away to places like Dundee, Kilmarnock and the likes.

clashcityhibby
23-02-2011, 01:58 PM
when I was a youngster in the mid-late 80's I saw plenty of running battles esp when we played Aberdeen or Dundee. Maybe it was my age that when it was happening I never felt particularly threatened by it. I'd hate to see anything like that now though.

Hibernia Na Eir
23-02-2011, 01:59 PM
NO

ancient hibee
23-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Got into Ibrox for a cup tie just before kick off-up the back of the terracing.The encouragement I got when seeing a line of Glasgow polis along the back disappeared as the one behind me shouted as we kicked off"get into these fenian ba*****s".

I was on holiday a few years ago when a Celtic supporter joined us in the bar and tried to convince me that we were the Edinburgh equivalent of them.He was a little put out when I told him that I would be perfectly happy for the government to use the next Old Firm match to test the efficiency of our nuclear deterrent.

basehibby
23-02-2011, 02:22 PM
The threat of violence has never stop me personally from going to watch football although I know at least one person for whom it did.

jakki
23-02-2011, 02:39 PM
I went to most home and away game from 62 to 69 , except the OF which my daddy banned me from,I went abroad and when I came back, started a family and ER was out of the question.

My son was invited to the first ever Kids Day and we decided to take it in turns to take him to the home games, the other babysitting the babies.

That day was a disaster.my son and his Daddy were in the enclosure when the wee lad inches in front of my son got his head split open by a bottle thrown from the main stand. My hubby left ER immediately disgusted at that and we both vowed never to take a child to a game.

The next game we went to was tha Final against Celtic. Although it was a disappointment, we realised that football had changed and it was family friendly.

We took out grandson to the Livi Final which although we got beat, he loved it and since then have continued to take grandkids to some games.

Although the Bolton was a horror for us, I still take them to ER if I can :thumbsup:

Keith_M
23-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Before I ever started going to football (in the mid 70's), my older cousin and his mate were attacked by Rangers fans, while waiting for a bus on London Road. He was severely beaten and his friend stabbed. Their crime was wearing Hibs scarves. AFAIK, neither of them have ever been to another game.

I didn't even know about this until after I'd started attending games myself. Maybe if I'd know before, I'd been put off going.

Lofarl
23-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Its never put me off going. I did think about not going to the Hibs-Rangers game last season. I knew our end would be chock full of huns which would be trouble. I suppose I've been fairly lucky.

I stay in Blackburn which if weegie old firm central. I get a lot of looks from the hun/celtic mob at the pub as I wait for the bus wearing my hibs top.

I was surrounded by lots of Ayr inbreds last month as I took a wrong turn going to the bus. Had a bid vibe with that lot.

Im amazed someone never reacted at parkhead early on this season as I sang at full volume "If it wisnae for the Hibees, you'd be huns" when I was surrounded by thousands of them leaving the game. I've no idea why I did that, must have been my mood I suppose.

I saw a few violent incidents in my youth at ER. I remember a big fight in the away end when we played Motherwell. Plus the tear gas incident. Also witnessed a fair bit of the casuals in action. None of this really frightened or upset me in any way. Thats the joy of being 8 years old I suppose. You know your not a target.

HenryMonk
23-02-2011, 03:00 PM
No, only encouraged me.

.Sean.
23-02-2011, 03:33 PM
The atmosphere of hatred at the Hearts game at Easter Road earlier this season brought back memories of the 70s. That made me vow not to go to another derby.I'll be honest here and say I enjoyed the hostile atmosphere that we experienced at the last ER derby. I'm by no means a scrapper or a violent person in the slightest, but that game certainly had an extra edge to it and I did not mind it at all.

Excuse my youthful naiiveity(sp?) here, but who caused bother at Hibs games in the pre-casual era? Was there a skinhead element among the support at the time?

Killiehibbie
23-02-2011, 03:54 PM
I'll be honest here and say I enjoyed the hostile atmosphere that we experienced at the last ER derby. I'm by no means a scrapper or a violent person in the slightest, but that game certainly had an extra edge to it and I did not mind it at all.

Excuse my youthful naiiveity(sp?) here, but who caused bother at Hibs games in the pre-casual era? Was there a skinhead element among the support at the time?There was seperate wee groups of guys who weren't afraid to have a go sometimes but the problem was they could often be found fighting each other. I remember seeing a few skins and seen them fighting each other as well.

iwasthere1972
23-02-2011, 04:33 PM
There was seperate wee groups of guys who weren't afraid to have a go sometimes but the problem was they could often be found fighting each other. I remember seeing a few skins and seen them fighting each other as well.

Me and my mates were regularly picked on by some gang from Royston for some unknown reason. Maybe they were after our pocket money or my mates flask of tea. :greengrin We'll never know.

Talking about skinheads. Anyone seen HibbyAndy lately. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Its never stopped me going to the game, although I wasnae looking forward to leaving The Old Den after the famous Millwall pre-season game!

frazeHFC
23-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I am only 17 but my dad told me a few weeks ago that after the 99/98 (?) Final/ Semi-Final where we lost to Aberdeen, as we made our way back to our car a big bunch of Aberdeen 'casuals' were shouting abuse at the two of us shouting "kick the Hibees in the head". I would have been about 6 so i don't remember it but must have been scared at the time.

How many of you on here were casuals? I do find it an interesting topic after reading the books, watching the programmes etc.

WindyMiller
23-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Me and my mates were regularly picked on by some gang from Royston for some unknown reason. Maybe they were after our pocket money or my mates flask of tea. :greengrin We'll never know.

Talking about skinheads. Anyone seen HibbyAndy lately. :greengrin

There was a pretty wild bunch from Royston travelled with the Pentland bus before we became an official Branch.
They needed delicate handling. :rolleyes:

At The Edge
23-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I'll be honest here and say I enjoyed the hostile atmosphere that we experienced at the last ER derby. I'm by no means a scrapper or a violent person in the slightest, but that game certainly had an extra edge to it and I did not mind it at all.

Excuse my youthful naiiveity(sp?) here, but who caused bother at Hibs games in the pre-casual era? Was there a skinhead element among the support at the time?

i have often been told that Hearts had a large skinhead following in the 70's and they caused a bit of bother. don't know if this is true, never really heard of Hibs skins, although way before my time of going to see Hibs so maybe there was.

Did Hibs have a regular scarf round the wrist, flared jeans, long haired agro mob as you see in pictures of fighting at matches in the 70's? or was it as others have said just local area gangs who would converge on Saturdays at ER and batter any other in a different scarf.

Monktonhall 7
23-02-2011, 06:00 PM
I remember loads of scuffles at ER, but one of the worst I witnessed was at Motherwell in the cup in 1976. Score was 2-2, and a guy in front of us got a dart in his head thrown by the Motherwell fans. The Hibs fans kept charging, and at one time I had several bodies on top of me and thought my time was up. if I remember correctly, we manged to get more people on our bus for the next away match!

One Day
23-02-2011, 06:02 PM

I went to all 3 games, with wembley in between, the 1st game was some of the worst trouble i ever seen scary stuff.hardly a hibs bus left without broken windows,

Gatecrasher
23-02-2011, 06:04 PM
i have only seen the odd snippet of violence (a few scraps etc) at the football and its never put me off

Alfred E Newman
23-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I remember loads of scuffles at ER, but one of the worst I witnessed was at Motherwell in the cup in 1976. Score was 2-2, and a guy in front of us got a dart in his head thrown by the Motherwell fans. The Hibs fans kept charging, and at one time I had several bodies on top of me and thought my time was up. if I remember correctly, we manged to get more people on our bus for the next away match!

Remember that. One of my mates said at the time," whats worrying me is , there are 3 in a set!"
After getting involved in the pitch battle on Prospecthill Road after the 1972 cup semi against Rangers I decided against going to the replay and regretted it as we won. The final against Celtic was worse with over 200 arrests. Great days !

oldbutdim
23-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Ah!

The Pentland Branch.......
I was a member there too. The bus would usually come back a few seats emptier than it left.
Do you remember a trip to Aberdeen (I think) when some fool tried to open the 'skylight' on the bus to let some fumes out.... the glass panel flew out and disappeared back down the motorway and the driver insisted on turning around and looking for it. Only to find bits of it lying in the road.
:rolleyes:

Yes.
I was that fool.

No, not the driver - the fool who tried to open the skylight.

HibbyDave
23-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Standing Right next to me! I remember telling him to get to the medics and not to try to remove it.

Keith_M
23-02-2011, 07:33 PM
i have often been told that Hearts had a large skinhead following in the 70's and they caused a bit of bother. don't know if this is true, never really heard of Hibs skins, although way before my time of going to see Hibs so maybe there was.

Did Hibs have a regular scarf round the wrist, flared jeans, long haired agro mob as you see in pictures of fighting at matches in the 70's? or was it as others have said just local area gangs who would converge on Saturdays at ER and batter any other in a different scarf.

There were skinheads at football in phases but it was mostly what you consider 'ordinary' supporters. Football fans have always just reflected the current culture, so late 70s/early 80s there were a mixture of skins, mods and whatever else. A lot of the younger ones just naturally merged into the next culture, the casual.

Surprisingly, in the early casual days there were still loads of non-casual hooligans. They obviously weren't organised, or anything, but would still occasionally join in when trouble started.

Before the casual scene, the worst hooligans were Hearts. They'd obviously given up on football (it was the Yo-Yo years) and had to do something to amuse themselves, which usually meant beating up anybody from the opposing support.

degenerated
23-02-2011, 07:35 PM
never stopped me from going although wouldn't fancy being caught in the middle of it these days. worst i ever saw was the scottish cup semi against aberdeen at dens park in 85/86, absolutely mental stuff in the city centre and outside the ground before and after. there was a pitch invasion at the end of the game as well iirc.

I'm_cabbaged
23-02-2011, 07:53 PM
never stopped me from going although wouldn't fancy being caught in the middle of it these days. worst i ever saw was the scottish cup semi against aberdeen at dens park in 85/86, absolutely mental stuff in the city centre and outside the ground before and after. there was a pitch invasion at the end of the game as well iirc.

Even the "scarfers" were going a bit radge that day. :agree:

Going back to the OP, I got stabbed and a fractured skull for no other reason than for being a Hibee. First game after getting out of hospital was Clydebank (got beat in the Scottish :rolleyes:) which I attended then Ibrox away when the flare got lit off in the Hibs end, so I suppose it didn't really stop me from going. :greengrin

Ferryhibby
23-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Remember the hertz 'gorgie aggro' had a few sets with them but didnt stop me goin to games a couple of times a few of us had battles with the OF **** coz they used to be located in the old top half of the terrace, you had to get past the *******s to get to the toilets. Got involved in quite a few following hibs over the years almost became part and parcel of goin to games, remember the 79 final well but they ****bags were always like that, remember on the way back to edinburgh there was a double decker bus with the old 'Radio Forth 194' logo on it, it was black, a car came alongside them and started waving gers scarfs at them, the windows upstairs got booted out and loads of beer cans wer launched at the car funny seeing this car trying to brake but being hemmed in by other hibby cars, pretty dangerous i suppose at 60 mph funny tho

Antifa Hibs
23-02-2011, 08:25 PM
The stories I get told by the auld dudes seem mental :cool2:

And to think we get people on here saying they won't go back to Ibrox 'cos a big bad man called them a fenian c*** :rolleyes: :greengrin

degenerated
23-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Even the "scarfers" were going a bit radge that day. :agree:

Going back to the OP, I got stabbed and a fractured skull for no other reason than for being a Hibee. First game after getting out of hospital was Clydebank (got beat in the Scottish :rolleyes:) which I attended then Ibrox away when the flare got lit off in the Hibs end, so I suppose it didn't really stop me from going. :greengrin

i remember that game at kilbowie, me and a mate got surrounded by neds in the shopping centre where the buses were dropping folk off and one of the barstewards pulled out a knife, another mate (who looked old enough to buy us all bevvy at the time) came out the off licence behind them and launched a can at said bloke with blade giving us the opporchancity to run like **** back to where our support was.

Sir David Gray
23-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm obviously of the younger generation that only started going in the 90's so I haven't really witnessed any proper violence at a football match.

However I have to admit that if it was to start up again, I would probably have to think twice about going back.

Antifa Hibs
23-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Last proper rucking I saw at ER was 1997, Hibs 3 - 4 Rangers. Mental that day, which in turn was probably tame as hell compared to the same fixture 20 years before that. Seen plenty mobs walking around, the odd tiny scuffle etc but nout serious.

Quite enjoy wearing a green jacket walking up Paisley Road or Aberdeen away, people thinking is he an Edinburgh Hibby cant. Good sensation, dunno why as I'm soft as ****** tae :greengrin

.Sean.
23-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm sure I can remember loads of bother against Aberdeen on ER, must've been a good 6, 7 years ago though?

Bolton was pretty radge aswell. Cracking day out that.

Lofarl
23-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm sure I can remember loads of bother against Aberdeen on ER, must've been a good 6, 7 years ago though?

Bolton was pretty radge aswell. Cracking day out that.

What happened at bolton?

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-02-2011, 09:17 PM
What happened at bolton?

Oh no, here it comes again!

Hillsidehibby
23-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Back in the day a trip to the game was fraught with danger. If you did not get a pagger with opposition fans there was a fair chance that some young team that were Hibbies until 5pm and then turned back into YLT,YLS, Jungle would oblige.

essexhibee
23-02-2011, 09:47 PM
What happened at bolton?

Think the story was a brawl in a retail park? Sort of scotland v England job? Ccs were up against bolton, oldham,mancs the lot iirc? Could be wrong though?

jakki
23-02-2011, 09:50 PM
What happened at bolton?

Seemingly there was a fight arranged well away from the game but it seemed to roll over to the game. It was advertised as a a family game and I took my 5 grandkids to it. They all enjoyed the prematch entertainment and the game but when leaving the game after a to-to-do between some Hibs and Bolton supporters, my 13 year old was accused of bloodying a 50ish year olds nose and he wanted a fight. After my daughter was prepared to give him two black eyes, just words, the police intervened and lead the drunkard away. It put a bad taste in our mouths and spoilt an excellent day.

Yes , there is violence connected to some game but can someone warn me not to take grandkids to them especially 6 year olds to a "friendily".

iwasthere1972
23-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Seemingly there was a fight arranged well away from the game but it seemed to roll over to the game. It was advertised as a a family game and I took my 5 grandkids to it. They all enjoyed the prematch entertainment and the game but when leaving the game after a to-to-do between some Hibs and Bolton supporters, my 13 year old was accused of bloodying a 50ish year olds nose and he wanted a fight. After my daughter was prepared to give him two black eyes, just words, the police intervened and lead the drunkard away. It put a bad taste in our mouths and spoilt an excellent day.

Yes , there is violence connected to some game but can someone warn me not to take grandkids to them especially 6 year olds to a "friendily".

WARNING.........WARNING

Jakki do not take your grandkids especially 6 year olds to a friendly. :aok:

sleeping giant
23-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I didnt seem to notice it. Started going sporadically mid to late seventies and on a more regular basis early to mid eighties.

We used to go to the Hibs club before and after though so maybe missed a fair bit.

I still remember cars on their roofs and the shop windows tanned or shutters torn down after a derby defeat at Easter Road.

Topographic Hibby
23-02-2011, 10:18 PM
I went to all 3 games, with wembley in between, the 1st game was some of the worst trouble i ever seen scary stuff.hardly a hibs bus left without broken windows,The bus I was on made it back with windows intact. Although the window next to me and my mate from school got a right skelp with a bit of paving stone thrown by a local knuckle-dragger.

We just saw this monster bit of slab coming towards the window and by some miracle, it bounced-off leaving a long scratch on the glass. I looked down the passageway of the bus at my old-man who gave the internationally agreed hand gesture for "get-back-from-the-window-they're-a-bit-Radio-Rental-through-here"

Never went back for the replay(s), so I guess the answer is "yes"

Crossgates Hibs
23-02-2011, 11:17 PM
The huns attacked anybody and everything they could after the game. I got a punch in the face from a man of about 30, I was 10 years old. Hardly a bus made it back without broken windows.

I remember a game day of Bradford fire i think Hibs beat Rangers 1 nil with if i remember rightly a penalty, sure it was last game of season as well. Before the seats and roof in the East and there was big gravel stones at the top of the terrace which were launched into the Rangers end when a bit of trouble kicked off. The trouble was being far up the East i was hit on the head by a fellow Hibbie launching stones had Huns charging from 1 side and fellow Hibbies stoning me from another really shook me up and i vowed not to go back. However seeing the Bradford disaster put things into prospective and i changed my mind and went back again.:flag:

Mixu62
23-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Honestly, no it never put me off. Was at THAT cup tie against THEM in about 1992/3 I think when they scored an injury time winner (Dave f*****g Beaumont!!). Half the hibs end tried to invade the pitch to get the game called off and had a right old ruck with the cops. At full time, the casuals steamed into the police behind the East. Saw yams of every age take a pounding on their way out of Leith. Poisonous atmospere. But I was back the week after for the game against Celtic, with half the East cordoned off at the start of the game.

silverhibee
24-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Back then i used to go to games on the Granton travel bus, anyone who went on this bus will remember how crazy it was, it was quite normal for the bus to come back home with the windows smashed and a few punters missing.

jane_says
24-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Got into Ibrox for a cup tie just before kick off-up the back of the terracing.The encouragement I got when seeing a line of Glasgow polis along the back disappeared as the one behind me shouted as we kicked off"get into these fenian ba*****s".

I was on holiday a few years ago when a Celtic supporter joined us in the bar and tried to convince me that we were the Edinburgh equivalent of them.He was a little put out when I told him that I would be perfectly happy for the government to use the next Old Firm match to test the efficiency of our nuclear deterrent.

Bit in bold is probably the thing that winds me up most up about that manky mob, their assumption that we support them in the old firm games and generally prefer them to Rangers. This and the "fact" we are all fellow cafflics:fuming:

I HATE YOU BOTH AS MUCH AS EACH OTHER AND COULDN'T GIVE A FLYING ONE ABOUT THE OLD FIRM

persevere1875
24-02-2011, 04:42 PM
The bus I was on made it back with windows intact. Although the window next to me and my mate from school got a right skelp with a bit of paving stone thrown by a local knuckle-dragger.

We just saw this monster bit of slab coming towards the window and by some miracle, it bounced-off leaving a long scratch on the glass. I looked down the passageway of the bus at my old-man who gave the internationally agreed hand gesture for "get-back-from-the-window-they're-a-bit-Radio-Rental-through-here"

Never went back for the replay(s), so I guess the answer is "yes"

Saying that if IRC we werent adverse to putting in a few bus windows ourselves in our days, always remember the day Aberdeen came down and won the title on the last day (80's), gave us a right good drubbing aswell, think it might have been 5-1 and the cheeky gits had the audacity to invade the pitch after and run towards the hibs end, I can still remember watching the hibs support turn on masse as people realised they were on the pitch and head back to the front of the stand, seem to remember chasing a group of six dons who had one of our turnstile gates above there heads as they walked away from the ground, kicked of at the waverley after, aswell as other places and the one enduring memory was seeing a guy getting wrapped in what I think was a fishing net and getting launched over the sea wall later that night.

StevieC
24-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I started going to games late 70's and violence was part and parcel of the game.

I recall some big pre-segregation battles at Easter Road and Tynecastle. The Rangers one at ER (already mentioned) and a nasty one at Tynecastle, after an injury time equaliser from Ally McLeod.

Just outside the Playhouse saw many a battle, as away supporters sent up Easter Road and home supporters sent towards Leith Walk would meet back up again.

Travelled to games on the Clerrie Hibs bus and smashed windows were not uncommon on trips to Glasgow.

I was 13 years old for the '79 cup final and travelled to the game myself with my dad dropping me off, and collecting me afterwards, at the stadium. Unfortunately it was at the Rangers end (I had no idea which end was what at that age) and I had to come back through hoardes of huns and witnessed some nasty scenes and lots of straggling or seperated Hibs supporters getting it tight.

Late 70's and early 80's was the "Hearts Skins" era and they were a nasty bunch that demolished everything in their path. Living in the West side of the town I had to run the gauntlet every derby game. One time a bunch of them spied me at the back of the top deck with a Hibs scarf on and rushed the bus and up the stairs to attack me.
Dundee had it's fair share of skinheads around this time as well and I remember getting a bad "doing" on the way back to the buses at Dens around '83.

Never at any point did it put me off going to a game though.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I lived in thorntree street when growing up, and in the 70's the trouble was virtually every week. With little segregation there would be punch ups on the terracing with morton one week and celtic or rangers the next.

The more tasty fights were always with the huns or tic, more often than not they won most of the battles on the terrace with sheer numbers. St Clair street was different though, and i have seen many a battle down that street, with huns and tics splattered all over the road.

At the time i loved it, as i'd witnessed what they had been doing all game and thought thats a little retribution you never thought was going to happen.

Keith_M
24-02-2011, 07:07 PM
St Claire St, Easter Road, Albert St, Leith Walk then chanting, abuse and maybe the occasional fight outside the Playhouse. That was the order of events after every 'Cat A' game for me as a teenager.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-02-2011, 07:07 PM

Told you it would be here soon! :-)