PDA

View Full Version : The Paisley Stewards

Monktonhall 7
22-02-2011, 05:49 PM
I dont go to many away games these days, but decided to go on Sunday. I could not believe that I was searched by a Steward at the gate! I said to the guy, "do you think they would have done this at Darkheid today". "They would have to get them queuing from 5 in the morning".

Anyway, the point I want to clarify is, what power do Stewards have when it comes to searching fans. I can understand Police being able to search, but a daftie from Paisley wearing a yellow jacket! You cant make it up.

CB_NO3
22-02-2011, 05:56 PM
I dont go to many away games these days, but decided to go on Sunday. I could not believe that I was searched by a Steward at the gate! I said to the guy, "do you think they would have done this at Darkheid today". "They would have to get them queuing from 5 in the morning".

Anyway, the point I want to clarify is, what power do Stewards have when it comes to searching fans. I can understand Police being able to search, but a daftie from Paisley wearing a yellow jacket! You cant make it up.

To be fair the stewards were pretty decent on Sunday. I think the SPL has been told to do searches to stop the smoke bomb craze thats been going on the last few weeks. I was standing on the stair way during the game when a steward came towards my way, I thought to myself here we go, what does this pri*k want. He said to me "stand if you want mate, just stand next to your seat". I thought that was pretty decent, he could have told me to sit down but he never. The boy at the corner flag was also having a laugh with the boy waving every corner that was infornt of the TV cameras. I have seen worse.

Hibby Cam
22-02-2011, 05:58 PM
you normally find the guys that search are sia registered and are normally instructed by the police to carry out random searches, they were carried out at parkhead on sunday but randomly by both the police and sia stewards. can be a bit of a pain as they can hold you up a bit but its better that, than a tube taking something in they shouldnt that may cause injury (not saying u were) to others

Keith_M
22-02-2011, 06:07 PM
It is annoying getting searched going into football matches, as most people wouldn't dream of taking in anything hazardous to chuck at people.

TBF, though, the people you should be annoyed at aren't the stewards, it's the ones who've created the situation, the people who've been taking flares and whatever else into games.

Removed
22-02-2011, 06:12 PM
It is annoying getting searched going into football matches, as most people wouldn't dream of taking in anything hazardous to chuck at people.

TBF, though, the people you should be annoyed at aren't the stewards, it's the ones who've created the situation, the people who've been taking flares and whatever else into games.

:agree: wanted to tell him to gtf but after my previous experiences with stewards, searches and the police at Tannadice I kept my mouth shut for a change.

I did notice buckets of sand behind the goals and along the advertising boards. Sure its fireworks and flares they must be searching for.

CB_NO3
22-02-2011, 06:29 PM
I would not mind taking a flare into the football. It adds to the colour and atmosphere.

Carheenlea
22-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Despite being 40 and in the company of my pregnant wife, I got the frisk while the wife got her handbag searched for potential missiles.

Wasn`t really that bothered about it though, and the steward was pleasant and friendly enough about it.

Seems to be a west of Scotland thing, as every gig I go to through there also involves body searches. Suppose through there with their horrendous knife crime, body searches will be a regular occurrence. If they were also checking for smoke bombs and flares, then you can see why it was necessary.

.Sean.
22-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Being honest, the stewards were perfectly alright.

Me and my mate were both absolutely reeking, could hardly stick the tickets in the machine but they didn't seem to mind. I can't remember them having much of an issue with folk standing either, so there are no complaints from me regarding stewards for a change.

Monktonhall 7
22-02-2011, 07:57 PM
laugh with the boy waving every corner that was infornt of the TV cameras. .

Yeah, I was sitting up from there, and the Steward in that corner had a good laugh, so fair play to him. I just think that when you are nearly 50, being searched to get into a game is a pain, and the way that paying fans are treated puts me off returning to the games. Maybe I'm just a miserable old sod!:wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I thought that the stewarding at Paisley was ok. If you want to see real erses, then the stewards that look after the " fair play" enclosure at Tannadice are a class apart. If you want to see real nasty, then you won't get better than the sub-humans that patrol the away end at Celtc Park.

Dashing Bob S
22-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Thought they were an utter disgrace. They refused point-blank to give me a full cavity body search, despite me repeatedly requesting one. No wonder attendance at football is going down and so many of us prefer to hang around airports these days.

Sir David Gray
22-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I've never been searched before at a football game but if a steward told me they wanted to search me, I would personally request that a police officer did it.

On the topic of the stewards on Sunday, I actually thought they were better than they were on previous visits to Paisley.

As far as I'm aware they allowed the 12th man group to stand for the whole game and even after the announcement that they put out on the PA system, the stewards didn't seem too concerned that anyone was standing.

I don't think the small group of St Mirren fans who were standing and singing were bothered either, although I could be wrong.

Removed
22-02-2011, 09:09 PM
I thought that the stewarding at Paisley was ok. If you want to see real erses, then the stewards that look after the " fair play" enclosure at Tannadice are a class apart. If you want to see real nasty, then you won't get better than the sub-humans that patrol the away end at Celtc Park.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

fiolex1
22-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Guys, they were probably searching for soap seemingly it's an offence through there to use it:greengrin

monktonharp
23-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Being honest, the stewards were perfectly alright.

Me and my mate were both absolutely reeking, could hardly stick the tickets in the machine but they didn't seem to mind. I can't remember them having much of an issue with folk standing either, so there are no complaints from me regarding stewards for a change.Sean,why do you always have to tell us how pished you were? hope yer Ma doesnae look at yer posts.

_hucks_
23-02-2011, 02:05 AM
you normally find the guys that search are sia registered and are normally instructed by the police to carry out random searches, they were carried out at parkhead on sunday but randomly by both the police and sia stewards. can be a bit of a pain as they can hold you up a bit but its better that, than a tube taking something in they shouldnt that may cause injury (not saying u were) to others

Not just normally, always. Anyone that does the searches will be wearing the blue badge. I don't see a problem with it, the guys are trained, and as for requesting the police to do it, thats just wasting everyones time.

hibby al
23-02-2011, 07:34 AM
:faf::faf::faf:
Thought they were an utter disgrace. They refused point-blank to give me a full cavity body search, despite me repeatedly requesting one. No wonder attendance at football is going down and so many of us prefer to hang around airports these days.

made me laugh out loud at work this morning thanks bob

.Sean.
23-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Sean,why do you always have to tell us how pished you were? hope yer Ma doesnae look at yer posts.Do I?

All i've done is add my contribution to a thread saying I think why I think that the stewards were fair, so calm yerself.

Next time, before I post, i'll consult you first shall I? Wouldn't want to go upsetting you eh.

Kojock
23-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Police powers of search without warrant are:

The police can stop and search you without having a search warrant if they suspect you of being in possession of:-

• drugs; and/or
• an offensive weapon; and/or
• stolen property; and/or
• alcohol if you are at certain major football or rugby matches or on public transport travelling to such an event; and/or
• fireworks that you intend to use anti-socially.

Before they stop and search you they must have reasonable grounds for suspecting that they will find these things.

If they do not have reasonable grounds they cannot search you without your permission, however if you refuse to be searched you will not be allowed entry to the stadium.

The stewards have no power of search and you can refuse. They cannot search you without your permission, again if you dont agree to be searched you wont get in. :aok:

Removed
23-02-2011, 10:12 AM
At Tannadice earlier in the season there were two turnstiles open for the lower section but for some reason stewards were only searching one queue. I had been watching what was going on so when it got to my turn and the boy asked me if he could search me I said 'no thanks' and went and joined the end of the other queue where nobody was being searched. So he got his supervisor who called the police over to have a word with me.

Rationale explained for the policy - no
Reasonable discussion allowed - no
Be searched or don't get in - yes
Did they find anything - no

proud_and_green
23-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I have been searched a few times at ER and i don't have a problem with it. The stewards are always polite in their request and it only takes 30 seconds.

The thing about this thread is, if someone was injured by a firework for example, i suspect this thread would be asking how on earth they managed to get in with it and why didn't the stewards do something about it before the event!

Jay
23-02-2011, 12:38 PM
A few weeks ago we were stopped going in to ER. My 9 year old son had just bought himself a toy in John Lewis, it was in one of those sealed plastic containers, the ones that need very sharp scissors to cut all the way round and still cut your hand to pieces - every parents christmas morning nightmare! The steward took it off him and said it needed checked. He took it away to some superior being and we were eventually allowed in. I still wonder what he thought we were going to do with it.

Monktonhall 7
23-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Police powers of search without warrant are:

The police can stop and search you without having a search warrant if they suspect you of being in possession of:-

• drugs; and/or
• an offensive weapon; and/or
• stolen property; and/or
• alcohol if you are at certain major football or rugby matches or on public transport travelling to such an event; and/or
• fireworks that you intend to use anti-socially.

Before they stop and search you they must have reasonable grounds for suspecting that they will find these things.

If they do not have reasonable grounds they cannot search you without your permission, however if you refuse to be searched you will not be allowed entry to the stadium.

The stewards have no power of search and you can refuse. They cannot search you without your permission, again if you dont agree to be searched you wont get in.

HSH, Thats what I thought, but I remember telling a Steward at Ibrox where to go when he asked to search me, and 2 huge Glesgae coppers came over and smacked me on the heid. On Sunday I thought, ok search me then, and I'll just probably not bother coming back. I mentioned this issue on Monday to a couple of workmates who follow the infirm, and they say they have never once been searched ast home or away games. Its probably easier to search us because there is only 500+ at the game.

mickki40
24-02-2011, 04:15 AM
The steward at the corner flag on Sunday initially wanted Singing Section to sit down, But he wasn't going anywhere near by himself, So I observed him as he went for his senior steward who then came back with him. The senior steward looked and Hibs fans all stood up singing stand up if you hate Jam Tarts. The senior got the message. I told Junior steward he was trying to find a problem where there wasn't one. He seemed to take offence at this. So senior steward spoke to him again and he seemed to be told to back off. To be fair the 2 policemen who were just behind him started laughing at him. They knew there was no problem

ArabHibee
24-02-2011, 07:05 AM
The steward at the corner flag on Sunday initially wanted Singing Section to sit down, But he wasn't going anywhere near by himself, So I observed him as he went for his senior steward who then came back with him. The senior steward looked and Hibs fans all stood up singing stand up if you hate Jam Tarts.The senior got the message. I told Junior steward he was trying to find a problem where there wasn't one. He seemed to take offence at this. So senior steward spoke to him again and he seemed to be told to back off. To be fair the 2 policemen who were just behind him started laughing at him. They knew there was no problem

And what message was that exactly?

poolman
24-02-2011, 08:01 AM
I was at a Dusseldorf match a couple of seasons ago (what a fantastic ground) and everyone, no matter what the size of the crowd, gets searched bedore going in

_hucks_
24-02-2011, 11:07 AM
The steward at the corner flag on Sunday initially wanted Singing Section to sit down, But he wasn't going anywhere near by himself, So I observed him as he went for his senior steward who then came back with him. The senior steward looked and Hibs fans all stood up singing stand up if you hate Jam Tarts. The senior got the message. I told Junior steward he was trying to find a problem where there wasn't one. He seemed to take offence at this. So senior steward spoke to him again and he seemed to be told to back off. To be fair the 2 policemen who were just behind him started laughing at him. They knew there was no problem

Why? Surely by this point there is no issue and thats just antagonising things.

Hamish
24-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I would not mind taking a flare into the football. It adds to the colour and atmosphere.

Seen a few folk at the fitba' with flares. Mind you they had perms as well.:greengrin

mickki40
25-02-2011, 04:00 AM
And what message was that exactly?
That if the stewards were going to start telling people to sit down all the other Hibbys were starting to stand up. Nobody told the Supras to sit down.

ArabHibee
25-02-2011, 06:53 AM
That if the stewards were going to start telling people to sit down all the other Hibbys were starting to stand up.Nobody told the Supras to sit down.
Wow, you're mental.
How old are you? Coz you sound like a daft wee laddie to me."Nobody told the Supras to sit down so nobody's telling me to sit down". Pretty sure you would change your tune if it was the polis telling you.

SkintHibby
25-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Sean,why do you always have to tell us how pished you were? hope yer Ma doesnae look at yer posts.

Leave the guy alone FFS!

ArabHibee
25-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Leave the guy alone FFS!
I think the monk's post was a bit tongue in cheek, with the quip at the end about his mother.

franks
25-02-2011, 11:09 AM
You'll find the ground rules at every ground state that you must allow yourself to be searched when requested to gain entry to the stadium.

A steward has no right to search you but has the right to refuse you entry if you don't allow yourself to be searched when requested.