PDA

View Full Version : NHC The organ grinder and his monkey/McCoist To Be Rangers Manager (merged)

(((Fergus)))
22-02-2011, 04:38 PM
McCoist to take Ranger job
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_6772196,00.html

Future17
22-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Odds to be gone by January 2012?

Barney McGrew
22-02-2011, 05:13 PM
As it says on the tin.

Good. I think he'll be rotten :greengrin

ancient hibee
22-02-2011, 05:25 PM
They keep on referring to him as a young coach-by the time Ferguson was that age he'd won a European trophy.Despite McCoist supposedly being in charge for cup games it didn't take long for Smith to appear on the touchline to try and sort out the shambles in the Celtic tie.

Looks like he'll have a real struggle next season unless the ownership changes.Incidentally the decision to let Miller go for the sake of £300K seems absolutely crazy.

ancienthibby
22-02-2011, 05:25 PM
As it says on the tin.

Good. I think he'll be rotten :greengrin

Think you are being overly-generous there!!

McCoist is a grade A tube and completely unfit to be a football manager - now if you want a flippant grade A clown replacement for Simon Cowell, then Ally's your man!!:greengrin

H18sry
22-02-2011, 05:32 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/9404913.stm

Rangers have confirmed for the first time that Ally McCoist will take over as manager when Walter Smith steps down at the end of the season.

Assistant manager McCoist, 48, has been groomed as Smith's successor since the pair returned to Ibrox in January 2007.

Now McCoist has agreed a one-year rolling contract, with number three Kenny McDowall to become his assistant.

The 62-year-old Smith had announced earlier this season that this would be his last as manager at Ibrox.

And he expressed his wish that assistant McCoist, who scored 355 goals in 581 appearances for the club, would be his successor and become only the 13th manager in Rangers' history.

Confirmation came three days after a 3-0 defeat by Celtic that leaves the reigning champions eight points adrift of the Scottish Premier League leaders.

It is a bit like taking the mike from Frank Sinatra - a difficult act to follow

Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist
And Rangers said the announcement, where McCoist was presented to the media at a hastily-convened conference, was made in a bid to end any instability over their future plans.

A beaming McCoist paid tribute to a man believes is one of the top managers in world football and perhaps Rangers' best-ever said: "Working under Walter has been an incredible experience and it is a bit like taking the mike from Frank Sinatra - a difficult act to follow.

"I'm thrilled to bits, it's as exciting a time as I can think of.

"I was lucky enough to play for the club for 15 years, but this is an absolute dream and a privilege.

"Martin and I had a few discussions - and Walter was heavily involved - and, once I was offered the job, my automatic reaction was to say yes.

"Rangers have always been my team. I know the club inside out, I know the people, the fans, the players and I know how important this football club is to everyone and hopefully I can bring them success."

McCoist will remain as assistant as Rangers not only chase Celtic in the title race but face their Glasgow rivals in the Co-operative Insurance Cup final and in a Scottish Cup fifth-round replay.

Before then, the Ibrox side face Sporting Lisbon in the Europa League on Thursday.

"It's a little bit of a relief in respect that we can now hopefully put it to bed," he said.

"This is a wonderful moment, but I'm sure everyone is aware of the importance of matches between now and the end of the season.

"We're still heavily involved in four trophies."

There has been uncertainty at Ibrox over the club's finances and ownership - Scottish tycoon Craig Whyte has been studying the club's finances with a view to buying out majority shareholder Sir David Murray.

However, Rangers chief executive Martin Bain stressed that the announcement had little to do with any possible takeover, as McCoist had been told he had the job in December.

"We were in Bursaspor in December when Alistair shook my hand and officially accepted the job," he said while revealing that the choice was unanimously agreed by the board.

"I felt it important to keep it to ourselves and give Alistair that security.

"In recent weeks, as we start to plan for the new campaign, we realised Alistair was key to what we were planning next season.

"Takeovers have been discussed for some time. I can't run this football club as chief executive waiting for something to happen."

Smith considered stepping down last summer after leading Rangers to a second successive title.

However, he stayed on to help the club through their financial troubles, which saw him unable to buy a player for almost two years

Carheenlea
22-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Will be interesting to see how McCoist gets on as a manager in his own right, and will pretty refreshing for the Scottish game having 2 young managers in charge of the Old Firm.

Despite the unfortunate carry on with the referees earlier in the season, Lennon looks to be settling into the Celtic job quite comfortably, and as he gains experience there's every chance he could be at Celtic for a considerable time. McCoist may well have some different ideas to Walter Smith and who's to say that he also could be at Ibrox long term should he make the transition to manager positively?

But of course, the immediate term is all that counts to Old Firm fans, so if either manager enjoys more success than the other over a season and a half, it will inevitably result in the other losing his job.

CB_NO3
22-02-2011, 05:42 PM
I cant take McCoist seriously. He reminds me of Yogi in the way he wants to be one of the boys rather than the man in charge.

ancienthibby
22-02-2011, 05:45 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/9404913.stm

Rangers have confirmed for the first time that Ally McCoist will take over as manager when Walter Smith steps down at the end of the season.

Assistant manager McCoist, 48, has been groomed as Smith's successor since the pair returned to Ibrox in January 2007.

Now McCoist has agreed a one-year rolling contract, with number three Kenny McDowall to become his assistant.

The 62-year-old Smith had announced earlier this season that this would be his last as manager at Ibrox.

And he expressed his wish that assistant McCoist, who scored 355 goals in 581 appearances for the club, would be his successor and become only the 13th manager in Rangers' history.

Confirmation came three days after a 3-0 defeat by Celtic that leaves the reigning champions eight points adrift of the Scottish Premier League leaders.

It is a bit like taking the mike from Frank Sinatra - a difficult act to follow

Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist
And Rangers said the announcement, where McCoist was presented to the media at a hastily-convened conference, was made in a bid to end any instability over their future plans.

A beaming McCoist paid tribute to a man believes is one of the top managers in world football and perhaps Rangers' best-ever said: "Working under Walter has been an incredible experience and it is a bit like taking the mike from Frank Sinatra - a difficult act to follow.

"I'm thrilled to bits, it's as exciting a time as I can think of.

"I was lucky enough to play for the club for 15 years, but this is an absolute dream and a privilege.

"Martin and I had a few discussions - and Walter was heavily involved - and, once I was offered the job, my automatic reaction was to say yes.

"Rangers have always been my team. I know the club inside out, I know the people, the fans, the players and I know how important this football club is to everyone and hopefully I can bring them success."

McCoist will remain as assistant as Rangers not only chase Celtic in the title race but face their Glasgow rivals in the Co-operative Insurance Cup final and in a Scottish Cup fifth-round replay.

Before then, the Ibrox side face Sporting Lisbon in the Europa League on Thursday.

"It's a little bit of a relief in respect that we can now hopefully put it to bed," he said.

"This is a wonderful moment, but I'm sure everyone is aware of the importance of matches between now and the end of the season.

"We're still heavily involved in four trophies."

There has been uncertainty at Ibrox over the club's finances and ownership - Scottish tycoon Craig Whyte has been studying the club's finances with a view to buying out majority shareholder Sir David Murray.

However, Rangers chief executive Martin Bain stressed that the announcement had little to do with any possible takeover, as McCoist had been told he had the job in December.

"We were in Bursaspor in December when Alistair shook my hand and officially accepted the job," he said while revealing that the choice was unanimously agreed by the board.

"I felt it important to keep it to ourselves and give Alistair that security.

"In recent weeks, as we start to plan for the new campaign, we realised Alistair was key to what we were planning next season.

"Takeovers have been discussed for some time. I can't run this football club as chief executive waiting for something to happen."

Smith considered stepping down last summer after leading Rangers to a second successive title.

However, he stayed on to help the club through their financial troubles, which saw him unable to buy a player for almost two years

Admins, please delete,

Surely there's a law against quoting a Rankgers Press Release in full on this board!!:aok:

jdships
22-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Odds to be gone by January 2012?

No better than 2 or 3/1 :taxi

Hibernia Na Eir
22-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I think the only ones who will rejoyce at this news will be Celtic fans. And a good few hibbies:-)

H18sry
22-02-2011, 06:44 PM
:na na:
Admins, please delete,

Surely there's a law against quoting a Rankgers Press Release in full on this board!!:aok:

HNA9
22-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Admins, please delete,

As opposed to quoting the quote :greengrin

Arch Stanton
22-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Being Rangers through and through won't be enough to stop him being completely out of his depth.

The least convincing SPL manager doing what I believe to be the most difficult SPL management job - it just isn't going to end well (not end well for him I mean :greengrin ).

hfc rd
22-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Hardly breaking news as everyone knew that when Wattie Smith was going to be retiring at the end of the season, that Ally McCoist was going to replace him. yes he is Rangers through and through but even Jose Mourinho would struggle to turn this Rangers team around as what you just saw at the OF derby on Sat, smeltic look far to good this season than them and are obviusly going to strengthen this summer no matter if they do lose Izaguirre and Kayal this summer. I just think McCoist is going to find this job so hard and who knows when this proposed takeover is going to be done as one min it is on and then the next it goes so quiet that you think Ellis and Whyte have backed out. If McGregor and Bougherra are sold this summer then that is just about going to bring Rangers all the way down to there barest and the OF might be split next season depending on the team that are in that position of doing so, do not crumble under the pressure of the media.

Bad Martini
22-02-2011, 11:05 PM
This thread is aboot one sneaky judas hun leaving the helm and another wee hun taking over.

Dearie me. To be fair on (fish) sup(p)er Ally...he's usually less of a dick towards the Cabbage before/after we play them than some managers. Then again, he's no been in charge yet against us.

Either way, couldnae gie a ratts ass aboot them. **** the huns.

ENDOF