PDA

View Full Version : As I was saying yesterday (only I got the date wrong) - 50 years ago tonight...

--------
22-02-2011, 02:27 PM
... Hibs defeated Barcelona 3-2 at Easter Road in the second leg of their Fairs' Cup Quarter-Final to go through 7-6 on aggregate.

A Bobby Kinloch penalty in the dying minutes, taken after a near-riot on the part of the Barcelona players which went on and on and on while Bobby stood quietly on the penalty spot with the ball waiting for it all to calm down before he took the penalty.

Just so's you know, Barca had just put Real Madrid out of the European Champions' Cup - the first time Real had lost in that competition in SIX seasons. They were THAT good.

I wasn't allowed to go with my dad - it was a school-night and I had my 11-plus exam coming up in a fortnight's time, and my mother was panicking.

(As if there was ANY chance of me failing that exam. I mean - ME? :greengrin )

Anyhow, Dad had been talking about this game so much that it had caught my imagination. I wanted to go, but wasn't allowed. He went off to the game, I went unwillingly to bed.

He came home about 11 o'clock, raging about the riot. I was awake, freezing in my pyjamas at the top of the stairs, listening to him going on and on and willing him to JUST MENTION THE SCORE, WHY DON'T YOU?

Finally, he told my mum, who wasn't interested in the slightest, that Hibs had won 3-2. I should say, WE had won 3-2.

WE had won 3-2.

I went to bed happy and THAT was the game and result that made me a Hibbie for life.

So, Messrs Farmer, Petrie, Calderwood and Adams, Board members and first-team players - THAT is the eminence from which Hibs have fallen, and THAT is th eminence to which we ought to be aspiring to return.

I don't expect it next season, or even the next. But many of us auld yins remember when Hibs were major European players, and we'd like to see us at least aspiring to being so again.

See to it, guys. :aok:

ancient hibee
22-02-2011, 06:06 PM
And I have to tell you that Hibs team was never considered all that great particularly in defence and it was usually a case of whether Joe could score more than they conceded perhaps borne out by us twice leading by 2 goals in the first leg.

--------
22-02-2011, 06:23 PM
And I have to tell you that Hibs team was never considered all that great particularly in defence and it was usually a case of whether Joe could score more than they conceded perhaps borne out by us twice leading by 2 goals in the first leg.

And how often did Joe get us off the hook? :agree:

ancient hibee
22-02-2011, 06:25 PM
And how often did Joe get us off the hook? :agree:

Practically every week.

killie-hibby
23-02-2011, 12:21 AM
... Hibs defeated Barcelona 3-2 at Easter Road in the second leg of their Fairs' Cup Quarter-Final to go through 7-6 on aggregate.

A Bobby Kinloch penalty in the dying minutes, taken after a near-riot on the part of the Barcelona players which went on and on and on while Bobby stood quietly on the penalty spot with the ball waiting for it all to calm down before he took the penalty.

Just so's you know, Barca had just put Real Madrid out of the European Champions' Cup - the first time Real had lost in that competition in SIX seasons. They were THAT good.

I wasn't allowed to go with my dad - it was a school-night and I had my 11-plus exam coming up in a fortnight's time, and my mother was panicking.

(As if there was ANY chance of me failing that exam. I mean - ME? :greengrin )

Anyhow, Dad had been talking about this game so much that it had caught my imagination. I wanted to go, but wasn't allowed. He went off to the game, I went unwillingly to bed.

He came home about 11 o'clock, raging about the riot. I was awake, freezing in my pyjamas at the top of the stairs, listening to him going on and on and willing him to JUST MENTION THE SCORE, WHY DON'T YOU?

Finally, he told my mum, who wasn't interested in the slightest, that Hibs had won 3-2. I should say, WE had won 3-2.

WE had won 3-2.

I went to bed happy and THAT was the game and result that made me a Hibbie for life.

So, Messrs Farmer, Petrie, Calderwood and Adams, Board members and first-team players - THAT is the eminence from which Hibs have fallen, and THAT is th eminence to which we ought to be aspiring to return.

I don't expect it next season, or even the next. But many of us auld yins remember when Hibs were major European players, and we'd like to see us at least aspiring to being so again.

See to it, guys. :aok:

Eh, were we not at the bottom of the league when the first leg was played.

--------
23-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Eh, were we not at the bottom of the league when the first leg was played.

If not right there, very close. There was a time that season we couldn't buy a win - even with the Baker Boy up front.

I don't know what was worse - my dad grousing and girning when he thought we were going down, or my dad jumping up and down triumphant going on and on about how we beat the best team in Europe and they couldn't take it but went and smashed up the dressing-room and we should have had THREE penalties before the one we DID get and what about Joe Baker, then?????

As someone else said recently, I miss my dad.

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-02-2011, 06:33 PM
What peeves me more than anything about that night is that there no cameras there, had that been the OF then there would be about a dozens DVD's of it, but I suspect someone somewhere has footage of this, would love to see it :agree:

I went up to the ground that night to try and sneak in as my Dad wouldn't give me the 10 bob to get in as there was no boys gate that night, no chance of a lift over as the polis were everywhere, at least I got a programme :wink:

lyonhibs
23-02-2011, 09:10 PM
I was recently at the London Hibs Supporters Club Burns night, who had Eric Scott and Jim Stevenson as guests of honour.

They were giving their speeches, and the aulder one (Stevenson? My memory fails me, as I'd found a reasonably cheap pint and was getting battered in) spoke of playing in that match.

Beating a great Barcelona team at Easter Road - seems ****ing ludicrous when in black and white these days.

I was drinking with an older gent who I see frequently at the LHSC meet-ups who was in the crowd that day. He just said "can you imagine that??"

I was like a kid in a sweet shop anyway, with Mickey Weir being there, but I managed to get a t-shirt signed by all the players who were there, and I was practically shaking like a ****ting dug asking for the two older players signatures.

That team if the early/mid 60's did some amazing things in Europe.

joebakerforever
23-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Had the privilege of being there thanks to my dear late dad taking myself and 3 mates in his old Austin 7 (ex RAF btw) down to Easter Road.

Was right at the front of the perimeter wall at the Dunbar end just to the left of the goal and had a perfect view of Joe's opener.

The most memorable Hibs match I have been at.