PDA

View Full Version : Performances bode well for the future?

soproni1
22-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Whilst the last three results have been outstanding given our league position, juat wanted to see others opinions on the performances.

Grinding out results when not playing well is always said as being the sign of a good team and is something which, during my 20 years watching Hibs, hasn't been a trait you would associate with us. But, in years gone by (with one or two obvious exceptions) we would have given one of those teams a good beating, scoring a few goals in the process.

Just wondering whether this is going to be our style during CC's reign or whether this is just the base being set and we will see Riordan, Scott and the other attack minded players come into their own once we are safe (which it appears may be sooner than we expected).

Ferryhibby
22-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Agree given our position a lot of people were doubting wether we had the balls for a battle, the footies not pretty but the fight is 100% improvement and with a few more victories the confidence to pass the ball more and try something different will come, its all about points at the moment, no matter how we get them, think were only about 2 players away from becoming a good side now.......or am i gettin carried away.

Sammy7nil
22-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Agree given our position a lot of people were doubting wether we had the balls for a battle, the footies not pretty but the fight is 100% improvement and with a few more victories the confidence to pass the ball more and try something different will come, its all about points at the moment, no matter how we get them, think were only about 2 players away from becoming a good side now.......or am i gettin carried away.

Maybe have a look at the other thread, Points or Performance.

But

Yes I think you are getting carried away.

I love Deek but his best days may have gone, Sodje is not the answer. 2 Strikers required just for competition.
Dickoh and Hanlon are getting better but we still need another CH
Midfield looks solid but NO creativity - Midfielder needed
Two full backs both under 20 one of whom is on loan - Fullback req'd

So I think we are about 5 players away from being a good team and squad.

IWasThere2016
22-02-2011, 12:18 PM

It is more than two .. they are needed up front alone. I agree with your other comments though.

Maybe have a look at the other thread, Points or Performance.

But

Yes I think you are getting carried away.

I love Deek but his best days may have gone, Sodje is not the answer. 2 Strikers required just for competition.
Dickoh and Hanlon are getting better but we still need another CH
Midfield looks solid but NO creativity - Midfielder needed
Two full backs both under 20 one of whom is on loan - Fullback req'd

So I think we are about 5 players away from being a good team and squad.

:agree: It seems we have a manager and assistant with an eye for a player at least! :thumbsup:

truehibernian
22-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Strikes me that in CC we have a rather intelligent manager who is quietly effective at implimenting his strategy with minimal fuss and disruption.

For years we have been crying out for Hibernian to be more resilient, to have a "Plan B", to have a competitive edge if games end up a scrap and battle. CC is in a way building a wee football house......foundations have to be solid and strong first. Then you can add touches of skill and creativity. But I am impressed that he used the one window, whereas Hughes and Mixu had a clutch of windows, to readdress the solidity and physical strength of the side.

The flair, the creative spark, I have absolutely no doubt will be added. But the crucial thing for CC to do was change the mindset and mentality of a fragile and weak Hibernian squad. He has done this very efficiently and introduced players who can challenge those around them to step up to the mark......or go !

The full backs have pace and are allowed to get forward. The back four/five have had consistency in performance and selection. The midfield battle and can match up physically to any other midfield. Up front Sodje wins more in 10 minutes than Nish does in 90.....however to be fair to Colin, he has even tried to up his workrate the times he has been given game time.

This summer I am expecting huge change, but managed by a very intelligent and composed backroom staff. I am loving the CC era I have to say.....it's been a long long time coming :agree:

BEEJ
22-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Whilst the last three results have been outstanding given our league position, juat wanted to see others opinions on the performances.

Grinding out results when not playing well is always said as being the sign of a good team and is something which, during my 20 years watching Hibs, hasn't been a trait you would associate with us. But, in years gone by (with one or two obvious exceptions) we would have given one of those teams a good beating, scoring a few goals in the process.

In years gone by (with one or two obvious exceptions) we would have given one of those teams a good beating, scoring a few goals in the process, drawn 1-1 with another team and lost the third fixture 1-0.

:wink:

soproni1
22-02-2011, 02:48 PM
In years gone by (with one or two obvious exceptions) we would have given one of those teams a good beating, scoring a few goals in the process, drawn 1-1 with another team and lost the third fixture 1-0.

Agree completely, was a ponit i failed to make

Hibercelona
22-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Things will get better.

But for now, its all about the battle.

hfc rd
22-02-2011, 10:07 PM

Yep I agree. That at times can be the Hibs way. Inconsistency has cost us big time over the past couple of season's. You are only as good as your last game and this Sat the guys need to show that this good run can continue for another couple of games still.

ScottB
22-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Indeed, that we hadn't won in Paisley for 12 years says it all. Far 'better' and 'prettier' Hibs teams have went there and got squat.

Like it or not, some teams in this league play an ugly, physical game. For years Hibs sides good and bad have went to these places and tried to play our game, got kicked off the park and got nothing. We've long been crying out for a side that when required could lay aside the A game, roll up their sleeves and get stuck in and do what it takes to win, only JC's side came close to that but CC seems to hopefully have that down.

In any case, I'd rather be moaning about a winning team that's a bit hard on the eye than a pretty team that loses. Not that we were in any way a pretty team during our long losing spell.