PDA

View Full Version : Talent and or Experience

Arch Stanton
21-02-2011, 06:57 PM
And yes, this is inspired by the Points and or Performance thread - I just wondered if anyone agreed with me that we should stop looking for experience - talent does perfectly well on its own.

And I know that there are talented players that have long and productive careers in the SPL, but for some reason, rarely with Hibs - never figured that one out to be honest.

Anyway, surely after what Mowbray achieved and given how we have been managing with our young players recently (Hanlon as captain for one!!) we should just forget about getting experienced players in and field the up-and-comings as much as possible. I'd be happy to pay see that.

Haymaker
21-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I'd prefer both, a great talent with bags of experience. :agree:

Andy74
21-02-2011, 09:20 PM
And yes, this is inspired by the Points and or Performance thread - I just wondered if anyone agreed with me that we should stop looking for experience - talent does perfectly well on its own.

And I know that there are talented players that have long and productive careers in the SPL, but for some reason, rarely with Hibs - never figured that one out to be honest.

Anyway, surely after what Mowbray achieved and given how we have been managing with our young players recently (Hanlon as captain for one!!) we should just forget about getting experienced players in and field the up-and-comings as much as possible. I'd be happy to pay see that.

What did Mowbray achieve?

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 09:24 PM

Managed one of the most entertaining Hibs teams in years, brought through talent that made Millions of £'s for Hibernian.

Booby Williamson wanted rid of Deek !!!!

nonshinyfinish
21-02-2011, 09:26 PM

His team won the League Cup. :wink:

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 09:26 PM
It has to be talent,

Deek had talent now he has experience :wink:

Joking aside Talent is all hibs can go for we cant afford experience.

nonshinyfinish
21-02-2011, 09:28 PM
It has to be talent,

Deek had talent ow he has experience :wink:

Joking aside Talent is all hibs can go for we cant afford experience.

Generally, I think we can afford one or the other. Players with both cost an awful lot.

Sammy7nil
21-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Generally, I think we can afford one or the other. Players with both cost an awful lot.

Good point

Still talent for me.

nonshinyfinish
21-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Good point

Still talent for me.

Me too.

Arch Stanton
22-02-2011, 11:09 AM

3rd top and 4th top in league and decent domestic cup runs as well.

Mind you I suppose John Hughes might well have equalled that had he been kept on.
:faf::faf::faf::faf:

Stevie Reid
22-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Liam Miller has both and yet has been unbelievably disappointing for us - there is no formula. Sometimes just the right player in the right place at the right time works - the opposite can be true also.

Franck is God
22-02-2011, 12:34 PM
I would always go for talent over experience regardless of age but with that comes a real lack of consistency too.

Only under JC in the last few years did we have the tenacity to dig out a result when we weren't playing well.

Under Mowbray we really had to be on form to win and our away results & performances were generally pretty bad.

Under Mixu & Yogi the results seemed to come from individual plays rather than all round good team performances.

Calderwood with his most recent signings has managed to encourage a team ethic again with most players working for each other for the whole 90 minutes. Probably not the prettiest to watch right now but as the confidence in each other grows the football should get better.

Very much looking forward to the summer when the rest of the squad changes take place, very impressed with his eye for a player so far and that was in a transfer window that rarely produces good signings.

Andy74
22-02-2011, 09:14 PM
3rd top and 4th top in league and decent domestic cup runs as well.

Mind you I suppose John Hughes might well have equalled that had he been kept on.
:faf::faf::faf::faf:

Maybe, aye. He did get 4th in his only full year with by all accounts one of our worst set of players ever.

Perhaps with a bit more experience Mowbrays team could have won at St mirren, or Inverness, or wouldn't have got pumped off Hearts regularly, or bottled the bigger cup games?

I was just interested in the word achieved. We had some great young players but little was actually achieved.

IWasThere2016
22-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Maybe, aye. He did get 4th in his only full year with by all accounts one of our worst set of players ever.

Perhaps with a bit more experience Mowbrays team could have won at St mirren, or Inverness, or wouldn't have got pumped off Hearts regularly, or bottled the bigger cup games?

I was just interested in the word achieved. We had some great young players but little was actually achieved.

How did Yogi do in Paisley, Inverness, v the Yams and the cups?

Springbank
22-02-2011, 10:03 PM

i agree re the cups (Mogga always always took off his best players at 1-0 in key cup games. Cue inevitable late equaliser and subsequent defeat, frequently vs DUFC)

but not the jambos. sure there were some baddies, but i remember spanking them with glorious football a few times, 2-1 at Tynie, the unbeatables game, etc.

but to answer the original post: talent

IWasThere2016
22-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Talent eg Yogi was experienced but talentless :wink: despite what his apologists say.

hfc rd
22-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Managed one of the most entertaining Hibs teams in years, brought through talent that made Millions of £'s for Hibernian.

Booby Williamson wanted rid of Deek !!!!

And Whittaker. Supposedly was preparing a swap (Deeks & Whit) plus cash deal with Inverness for a 32 year old CB.

Anyways I would have both talent and experience. :greengrin.

Andy74
23-02-2011, 10:58 AM
How did Yogi do in Paisley, Inverness, v the Yams and the cups?

Lost mostly. I was talking about Mowbray, didn't bring up Hughes.

Arch Stanton
23-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Lost mostly. I was talking about Mowbray, didn't bring up Hughes.

No, you didn't bring up Hughes, but you seemed to be unaware that Mowbray had achieved anything (or was there another point to that question?) and it was pointed out that he had achieved more than Hughes, someone you set a lot of store by.

And lets face it, if any two managers epitomised what the OP was about it is Mowbray and Hughes.

KeithTheHibby
23-02-2011, 11:53 AM

You are having a laugh here Andy.

Ok he never won us a trophy however he has been the best manager we have had in the past 30 years and helped nurture all that young talent along.

People will still be talking about Mowbray's time at ER years from now.

Andy74
23-02-2011, 03:19 PM
You are having a laugh here Andy.

Ok he never won us a trophy however he has been the best manager we have had in the past 30 years and helped nurture all that young talent along.

People will still be talking about Mowbray's time at ER years from now.

I'm just struggling to gauge correctly the Hibs.net sucess or achievement monitor.

Sometimes it's all about playing nicely, but not winning anything, sometimes it's enough just to win, regardless of style, sometimes winning isn't good enough if you didn't play well.

This thread was about ability or experience. Mowbray had a talented team of kids and some shrewd additions but failed to add that bit of experience that would have turned us into a team that would have accomplished something. We came up short when the ral questions were asked of that team.

Around about him Bobby had taken us to a final and JC won the thing so in terms of achievement, what I seem to be hearing is that it is all about the stye that we win a few games in.

Hughes has been brought into it. On the face of it, 4th place stacks up not too badly against anything Mowbray ever achieved if looking at what you actually get at the end of the day.

And currently, well, a team winning games by just battling away a bit, that shouldn't really sit with us too well if Mowbray is what is being held up as achievement here.

Arch Stanton
23-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm just struggling to gauge correctly the Hibs.net sucess or achievement monitor.

Sometimes it's all about playing nicely, but not winning anything, sometimes it's enough just to win, regardless of style, sometimes winning isn't good enough if you didn't play well.

This thread was about ability or experience. Mowbray had a talented team of kids and some shrewd additions but failed to add that bit of experience that would have turned us into a team that would have accomplished something. We came up short when the ral questions were asked of that team.

Around about him Bobby had taken us to a final and JC won the thing so in terms of achievement, what I seem to be hearing is that it is all about the stye that we win a few games in.

Hughes has been brought into it. On the face of it, 4th place stacks up not too badly against anything Mowbray ever achieved if looking at what you actually get at the end of the day.

And currently, well, a team winning games by just battling away a bit, that shouldn't really sit with us too well if Mowbray is what is being held up as achievement here.

And now you ARE having a laugh. Both managers did indeed get to 4th place - but how do you measure TM's 3rd place with where Hughes had us this season?

Or, to put it another way, how do you measure up TM's 48% win ratio at Hibs with JH's 35%?

Can you really say that it stacks up too badly for Hughes and keep a straight face?

IWasThere2016
23-02-2011, 08:58 PM

:faf: One had good football and crowds flooding back. One talked absolute deluded pish - I see how you empathise however - both of you are deluded to the end.

And now you ARE having a laugh. Both managers did indeed get to 4th place - but how do you measure TM's 3rd place with where Hughes had us this season?

Or, to put it another way, how do you measure up TM's 48% win ratio at Hibs with JH's 35%?

Can you really say that it stacks up too badly for Hughes and keep a straight face?

:top marks Coupled with Hughes' poor signings, talking nonsense and the indefensible WORST home record ever.